05.

Apartment

 


 

Somin was gone by the time Changwook woke up. She had left him a note on his bedside table. Hey, I had to leave early, I got an emergency call from work. But I'll be back by dinner time, let's have a talk when I'm back :) He sighed as he looked outside his window. How could he have let her inside his world so easily? But it wasn't his fault that Somin had a weird effect on him, when he's with her he never wants to leave her side. However, he needs to stop himself before he gets too carried away, Somin deserves better, much better than him anyway.

Just as he was about to go back to sleep he gets a call from Seolhyun. 'Oppa, why am I not getting any updates from you these days?' 

'I've been busy.'

'How's things with your neighbour? Managed to get anything out of her?' she asked.

'No, actually I don't think she has anything to our target. She's useless,' he gritted his teeth. 

'I knew you wouldn't be able to get any information knowing how you're like so I went ahead and did some backup check on her and you won't believe what I found. She's ..' 

'I don't want to hear it Seolhyun. I don't appreciate you doing things behind my back,' Changwook interrupted. 

'But oppa, just hear me out,' she begged.

'I'll talk to you later. I need to go, bye.' And he hung up. 

He needed to go out for some fresh air, he felt suffocated in this these four walls. He put on a hoodie, running shoes and grabbed his phone and earphones. He walked out of his apartment for the first time in 2 weeks. He didn't care about his assignment, at least not right now. He needed time to think, what was he gonna do about Somin and how to make sure she doesn't come near him from now on. He paused after running for 30 minutes continuously. He gasped for air, his knees went weak and he fell to the ground. He layed on the ground as he looked up at the clear blue sky. Something about the scenery made his heart feel at peace, despite the judgy looks each passerby gave him he remained unbothered.

'Are you okay sir?' someone called out. 

'Yes I'm fine. Please carry on with your day,' Changwook replied not once taking his eyes off the beautiful scenery.

'Wook oppa, it's me,' she laughed.

That laughter, how could he forget? It had been a long time since he heard that. He grabbed his chest in pain, his heart was still hurting. He looked up to see that face he thought he would never see. There she was, smiling and looking down at him as if everything was alright, as if nothing had changed. He got up from the ground and looked around anxiously.

'Don't worry oppa, I'm here alone,' she said as if she read his mind.

'What are you doing here Boyoung?' he asked bitterly. 

'I was just walking by when I saw a familiar face. I couldn't just walk by without saying hi,' she replied.

'That was unnecessary. You should've just walked by without saying anything.'

'Come on, don't be so cold. We have a long history after all,' she pouted. She knew that expression would weaken his heart, here she was using it to her advantage once again. 

'I've forgotten all about it. Now leave before anyone sees us together, I know he has eyes all around you,' Changwook responded. 

'You're making it seem like I'm being held as a hostage,' she laughed.

'Well aren't you?' he questioned.

Her smiling face now turned into a blank expression. 'You don't know anything.' Wait, was she tearing up?

'And it should stay like that. Let's never cross paths ever again,' and with that he left the crying Boyoung behind. He wasn't going to let her manipulate him again, not after what she did to him.

 


 

'Sunbae-nim, you said it was an emergency,' Somin groaned.

'This is an emergency, head of the department has lost his keys and we need to find it as soon as possible,' Ma Dongseok, Somin's team leader, responded.

'Do you seriously need 20 people to find a damn key though?' She asked sarcastically.

'Yes, now the sooner you find the sooner you get to go home, now everyone split up and find that key.'

Though Somin kept complaining she made sure to do her job. 'I really need to find that key and the hell out of here,' she thought to herself.

Several hours had passed and Somin was still stuck in her office trying to find that. Right now she was taking a break, she sipped on the coffee she made herself and looked outside the break room. She was baffled how the top best detectives have been called at 6am to find a key that their supposedly capable head of department lost. She felt bad for leaving Changwook by himself, especially after that special night they both shared. She was hoping that he didn't misunderstand her actions.

Just then as if someone had read her thought someone yelled, 'I FOUND THE KEY!' at the top of their voice.

Somin jumped up from her chair and ran towards the commotion. 'Is that really the key?' she asked.

'I think so, I'll head upstairs and check with sir,' Dongseok replied. 

After a few minutes Dongseok walked back into the staff room where everyone was waiting for him. 'Everyone, you're free to go. I'm sorry I had to call you guys on your day off but I appreciate the effort you all have put in today. Hence the head of department has granted you all an extra day off. Go enjoy yourselves.' 

The room filled with cheer and everyone spared no time to rush back home. On her way back home, Somin's steps halted in front of a flower shop. She had always complained to Changwook that his apartment was dull looking and he should at least have flowers to brighten up the place. Changwook would always dismiss her ideas by saying that flowers were too feminine for him but Somin thought they were a perfect match. She walked inside the shop and she was greeted by a cute worker. 

'Hello, I'm Yoo Shiah, how may I help you today?' she asked.

'I was wondering if I can arrange a bouquet myself?'

'Of course you can, please follow me.'

Somin was escorted inside a tiny room. There were varieties of flowers, ribbons, paper and extra pieces to decorate the bouquet. She spent around an hour trying to build her perfect bouquet for Changwook. Everytime she would make the simplest mistake she would start from the beginning. She was a perfectionist.

'There. I'm finally done,' she sighed.

'It's beautiful customer-nim,' Shiah exclaimed. 'Whoever is getting this bouquet is a lucky man or woman.'

'You think so?' she shyly asked.

'Definitely. I'll help you wrap this up.'

Somin exited the shop feeling happy and excited. She wondered about how Changwook would react when she hands him the bouquet. She hoped he would at least accept it even though she knows how he really feels about flowers. Soon enough she was standing outside his apartment door. She took a deep breath before knocking on his door. As she heard Changwook opening the door she quickly hid the bouquet behind her back. 

'Come in,' he motioned her inside. 

'I'm sorry I wasn't here this morning, something really important came up at work,' she couldn't help but scoff at herself. 

'Yeah I read your note. That's fine, work should come first,' he responded. 

'Listen .. about yesterday and what happened,' Somin slowly muttered. 'I think we should talk about that.' 

'Yes. I really think we should.' 

'Great, I was scared about bringing this up,' Somin sighed in relief.

'Sit down first,' he patted the seat next to him. She walked towards him still hiding the bouquet behind her and sat down. 'I don't want you to get the wrong idea Somin but ..' 

'Wrong idea? What do you mean?' she asked confused.

'What happened yesterday was a big mistake, I wasn't thinking straight and I feel like by doing that I was hurting you. It wasn't considerate of me to act that way. I'm sorry.' 

'You're sorry? Why? Why was it a mistake? Didn't we act on how we felt?' she questioned him unable to process what Changwook had just said. 

'No it was an impulse action. I don't know maybe it was because I have been alone for a long time and I wasn't able to control myself but I wasn't acting on how I feel. You're just a good friend to me, that's all.' He looked away as he saw Somin tearing up. He wouldn't be able to lie to her if she looked at him with those eyes. He just hoped that Somin would buy his act. 

'But that night was special to me,' she looked down at the ground, she let her tears fall down.

'I'm sorry you feel that way but that night was nothing but a mistake to me,' he clenched his hand into a fist. Oh how he hoped he could walk away from this conversation right now.

'How could you say that?' Her face was covered with tears, her mascara streaming down her cheeks. 'That night was my first time ever.' 

Changwook turned towards her in shock. Great, here he was telling this woman complete lies to save her from future pain but what he was doing right now probably hurt her more. Somin wiped her tears and stood up and handed him the most beautiful bouquet of flowers he had ever seen. He unconsciously grabbed it and looked at her confused.

'I made that for you, something to brighten up your place,' she sniffed in between her words. 'But I guess it's a parting gift.' 

Changwook grabbed her wrist and stopped her from walking away. 'Please don't hate me. It hurts to see you hurting like this but trust me I'm only saving you from me. You deserve someone much better.' 

She turned around and smiled. 'I don't hate you, I actually like you a lot. That's why I have to walk away from here before I end up hurting myself even more.' She yanked her hand away from his grip and walked out of his apartment. 

 


 

*Image not mine* Credit to original owner. 

I apologise for the late update. I had a busy week but I hope you like the chapter :)