02.

Apartment

 


 

Seonho had left about 30 minutes ago and Somin was busy finishing up on her last bit of cleaning. She kept thinking about her mysterious neighbour and no matter how hard she tried to keep him out of her head, she simply couldn't. Not being able to introduce herself just didn't sit right with her. Somin had to make a good first impression. 

'Shall I try to introduce myself again?' She thought to herself. 

But the memory of him slamming the door on her face was just too overpowering. Just then a bell rang in her head. She quickly stopped doing whatever that she was doing and paced around her apartment looking for something. She finally managed to find a pen and paper, and she wrote: Hello once again, I'm sorry that I caught you in a bad time but I do want to introduce myself properly. I'm Jung Somin and I'll be living in apartment 10F from now on. I hope we can get along as neighbours and please don't be afraid to ask for favours. I hope you enjoy my handmade ricecakes as well but feel free to throw them away if you don't like it. Jung Somin :)

With a deep breath she grabbed the plate of ricecakes and her handwritten note, and headed towards apartment 10C. She gently placed the ricecakes in front of his door and rested the note on top of it. 

'I hope he sees this,' she whispered. 

 

The next morning Somin woke up with the wonderment if her neighbour had found her note and if he had accepted her ricecakes. But first she had to get ready. She noticed the time on her clock and jumped up from her bed when she realised that she was running late. She had 10 minutes to eat breakfast, get ready and leave. 

In a hurry she grabbed whatever clothes she could find and ran inside her bathroom. With 2 minutes left to eat, Somin decided to skip breakfast for today. She clutched onto her ID and car keys, and sprinted out her door. She was too preoccupied to even notice that her ricecakes were still at the same place where she had left it last night.

 


 

Changwook groaned as he slowly woke up from his sleep. He had fallen asleep on his sofa as he spied on his new neighbour. He had came to the conclusion that she had nothing to do with his target, she was just some annoying, nice lady that had ruined his whole mission. Now, Changwook has no emotions, well he's never felt any emotion ever since that incident so when he slammed the door on Somin's face last night he felt a tug on his heart and he wasn't sure what it was. Was he feeling bad? But Changwook is incapable of feeling sorry towards another human. It's impossible, he was just annoyed at her for disrupting his sleep. Yes, that's what it was, it was annoyance.

He trotted over to his fridge and opened it to find it empty. Great, now he's annoyed and hungry. He disliked going out, he made sure that he has no reason to leave his apartment. This was because he was afraid he would lose his target while he's out but mainly because the outside world made him uncomfortable. He was better off on his own. 

'Looks like it's grocery time,' he moaned.

Now I know what you're thinking. He can just order home delivery but this one time he beat up a delivery man for treating him rudely, now he's been blacklisted from all future delivery services. Changwook's steps halted when he opened the door to find a mysterious note and ricecakes in front of him. He reached for the note and read it's content. 

'Jung Somin,' he mumbbled.

He put the note in his pocket but left the ricecakes where it was. He quickly texted Seolhyun and asked her to find everything about this Jung Somin woman that could lead them to their target. Seolhyun replied by saying that could take days, instead she whined at him to get to know her. Does this mean he has to change his principles for this one deadend assignment? He may just have to.

So when he returned from his food shopping he grabbed the ricecakes and headed inside his apartment. At first he wanted to throw it away but after a few minutes of thinking he didn't want to waste food. He didn't feel like cooking and he was hungry so why not just eat this readymade food in front of him. He took a bite while contemplating, his eyebrows raised and eyes widened. 

'This was handmade?' he thought to himself impressed. 

He didn't know too much about this woman but damn she can cook. And before he knew it he had managed to wipe the plate clean within seconds.     

      


 

'Can you hold the door open please?' Somin yelled as she ran towards the elevator that was soon about to close. But with her request they opened back up.

'Thank you,' she bowed as she struggled to catch her breath.

'Oh, it's the young lady who moved in yesterday. How are you?' the elder woman asked.

'Hello aunty, I'm well, how about you?' she smiled.

'I'm also well. Coming back from work?' 

'Yes,' she paused as she wondered if she should ask her a question. 'Can I ask you something?'

'Of course, go ahead,' the elder woman said. 

'My neighbour from 10C, I'm guessing he's not comfortable around new people.' 

'He's not comfortable around anyone. He moved in a month before you but no one has seen nor talked to him. If you ask me, it's best you stay away from that man.' 

Somin nodded her headed and decided that it's best not to pry her with more questions. She clearly wasn't fond of her neighbour and that's fine but she wasn't going to let it affect her opinion on him before even getting to know him. 

'I hope to see you again aunty,' she bowed and waited for the woman to enter her apartment first. 

'What a nice well mannered young lady.' 

Somin smiled as she turned towards her door but something in the corner of her eyes caught her attention. It was an empty plate with a note on top. She was glad that her neighbour was kind enough to write her a note back. She opened it to read: Hello Somin-shi. I'm sorry for my rude behaviour yesterday, I'm not used to talking to people so I acted roughly. Thank you for the ricecakes they were delicious. Ji Changwook. 

'He doesn't seem so bad after all,' she couldn't help but break out into a smile. 

 


 

*Image not mine* Credit to original owner.