Ch 5

Cinderella's Step Sister and the knight

"Did you heard the rumours?" A woman in the market was talking to another woman. "The rumours about the crown prince is looking for the owner of the glass slippers? Have you tried it?" The two ladies keep on talking to each other not knowing that the Crown Prince was disguising himself as a customer at the market. Taehyung remained silent as he keeps his ears to listen to their conversation. 

"Did you heard another rumour?" "What rumour?" "Well, I heard that Miss Kang Bada's hand was almost being cut off at the night of the royal ball. She picked a fight with the fierce Black Knight Duke Jeon." Taehyung abruptly turned his head to the side looking at Jungkook that seems unbothered by the rumour. "What exactly did she want from such nobleman? She's just a stepdaughter of Marquess Lee. How dare a peasant like her dream to be a part of nobility?" 

"She's greedy like her mother. Everybody knows that Madan Kang is a gold digger. Marques Lee's household ran out of the fund after he married her." The other lady replied before both of the ladies walked away from the shop Taehyung and Jungkook were in. Taehyung shook his head as he lifts his head looking at the two women walking out from the shop. "Madam Kang and her daughters are always the talks of the market. All of us know about what happened to Marquess Lee. He's a kind person." The owner of the shop said as he notices Taehyung was bothered with the conversation earlier.

"How can Marquess Lee resist a beauty like Madam Kang? Of course, he became a fool after meeting her." Suddenly another customer replied to the shop owner and both of them nodded their head in agreement. Everyone in this town agrees that Madam Kang was indeed a beautiful woman. Taehyung decided not to waste more time in one shop, he then headed out to the alley of the market. 

"Stop saying bad things about Young Miss Kang. She is a nice person!" A boy yelled at an old man who was talking at the side of the alley. "Shut up boy. Go home!" The old man ignored the boy and walked away from the scene. 

"The rumour of you and Young Miss Kang Bada is getting out of hand," Taehyung said to the knight who was wearing a black cloak covering himself from top to toe. Jungkook nodded his head in agreement. He never said anything but the rumours is getting overwhelming. 

"Did she really picked a fight with you that you almost cut her hands off?" Taehyung turned his head looking at his knight. He was really curious since that night of the royal ball. Something must have happened between the two. Knowing Jungkook was not someone that will ever initiate a conversation with a woman, it must be true that Kang Bada was picking up a fight with the knight. 

"I was the one who picks up a fight with her," Jungkook stated calmly and walked beside the crown prince. Taehyung looks at his friend in shock. It is his first time hearing Jungkook initiate a fight with a woman makes the news more shocking. Taehyung titled his head in disbelief and continued walking. 

A few days later, the whole kingdom was thrilled knowing that the crown prince is looking for his sweetheart that fit the glass slipper she left behind. The royal troops travelled from the east of the kingdom to the west. Bada sat in her usual reading spot chuckled reading the news about the crown prince. "He absolutely knew that it was Aera. Why would he waste the energy of the royal troops to find the mysterious girl?" Bada shook her head and look out at the scenery from the tower as she sighed. 

Her heart is no longer wrenched in pain when she thinks about the prince. She is fine now. She did not want to let her feeling for the prince to affect her daily mood. She wanted to enjoy the silence and read a book without worry. Bada and Bitna no longer being invited to anyone's party due to her infamous reputation as the person hating the most by the crown prince. "Why didn't that wench ride today?" Bada asked herself as she looks out at the field beside their property. Bada stood up from her sitting position and went downstairs to look at her stepsister. 

"Clean it properly Lee Aera!" Madam Kang's voice can be heard from the stairs. Bada went down to see what was going on. It turns out that her mother made Aera clean the chimney. Bada cross her arm and stood beside her mother. "Why did you asked her to clean the chimney?" Madam Kang looks at her daughter in disbelief. "Did you know that the royal troops are coming in three days?" Madam Kang raised her brows and sat down on the armchair. She was monitoring the girl closely. She knew that this was the time where Aera will disappear to play in the woods and riding a horse. 

"You know exactly why he came here?" Bada look at her mother. Questioning whether she was aware of the relay that was going on between Aera and prince Kim Taehyung. "Did you know where did this girl went on that royal ball night?" Bada smiled as her words got her mother's attention. "Where did she go? I locked the door that night." Madam Kang said. The mother of the twins started to frown showing that she did not aware of what happened that night. 

"Sister! Would you like some dessert for dinner tonight?" Aera cut the stare between the mother and daughter. She was pleading to Bada with her large round eyes.  " Really? Sure." Bada smiled and left the space without talking more. Bada went out of the house and walked towards the horse stable. There are two horses in the stable. She sighed, it had been years since the last time she came to the stable to play with the horses. She groomed the fur of the brown horse that was supposed to belong to her and Bitna. "How are you, Joe?" She smiled as the horse nudge her with its nose. 

"I miss you too." She wrapped her arm around the dark brown horse. She remembered the first time she came to the estate, she saw Aera was riding her white horse. Aera was having fun riding a white horse, hence, she requests her stepfather that she wanted a horse too. He bought the brown horse for her. However, Bada got into an accident from her first ride. It turned out the horse was handicapped. One of the hooves was crooked and causes the horse not to have a stable stance. Bada remembered one of the villagers told her that the horse was sold for a cheap price and cannot be used for riding because he was born with crooked legs.  Since then, she decided to not ride the poor horse.

"I'm sorry for being too busy in the academy and let Aera take care of you." Bada smiled at the horse as the horse was reacting as if he understand her words. "Let's take a walk," Bada said and pulled the horse out of the stable. It had been a while since she let the horse roam around the woods. "Let's go, Joe." She walked out of the stable and the horse ran after her. Bada laughed looking at the unstable horse that was leaping in joy. He had a lot of fun going out of the stable. 

"Come here!" Bada ran to the woods and Joe ran after her. Joe is a smart horse. He can play like a dog and he can sniff her from a mile. "Close your eyes. I'm going to hide!" Bada said to the horse and she ran away from the horse. It had been years since the last time she plays hide and seek with Joe. Bada hides behind a bush and called out for the horse. "Joe! Find me!" She yelled and squatted down behind the bush. After a few moments, she heard the sound of hooves from her back. The smile on her face disappeared looking at the man who was riding a black horse coming in her direction. She could not pretend not to see the man as both of them already exchanges a short stare. 

"Good to see you, Your Highness." She bowed her head and bend her knee slightly, greeting the crown prince who was wearing a black cloak covering his face and body. Kim Taehyung did not say anything and came down from his horse. "What are you doing here, Your Highness?" She asked as the basic manner of a person with no rank like her when meeting a royal-like him. "Looking for someone." He replies coldly and stands in front of her scrutinizing the woman. Max, the royal horse nudged the lady with its nose as a signed the horse know her. "How are you, Max?" She placed her hand on top of the horse head. 

"How can Max remember you?" Taehyung shook his head and look at his horse. "I treated him after he fell while you're practising your archery," Bada said remembering how the horse became so attached to her. "Did he got injured that time?" A frown appeared on his face and place his hand on top of the horse head. "Both you and the horse were injured that day." Bada removed her hand away from touching the horse. She didn't want to accidentally hold the prince's hand as she might get sliced. She looks around to see whether the prince was alone or he came with his knights. 

"Are you looking for me?" Suddenly Jungkook appeared with his horse from her back. Jungkook jumped down from his horse and look at the woman. "Miss Kang Bada about last night... " Jungkook was about to continue his words suddenly Max jumped forward aggressively. "What's wrong Max?" Taehyung asked. The horse moves forwards aggressively as it was being territorial. Bada look around and saw Joe was dodging the huge horse that was trying to attack him. 

"Max!! Calm down. " Bada ran towards the two horses that were being hostile towards one another. "It's dangerous!" Taehyung yelled as he saw Bada was trying to be in the middle of the two horses. Bada wrapped her hands around Joe's neck and look at Max that was still not calming down. "Max, calm down." Bada whispered as she was protecting Joe. After a few minutes, Max seems to understand that Joe was not trying to harm them and started to calm down. Bada sighed in relief. 

"I think you should bring Max home. He is restless." Bada said as she brought the two horses to the Prince and his knight. "Did you know that you just put yourself in a very dangerous position?" Taehyung said as he took the leash of his horse from the woman. Bada looks at the two men and burst into a peal of laughter. She no longer minds her manner and etiquette in front of the royal family. Jungkook face turned dark when the lady was obviously disrespecting the crown prince. 

"Oh! This is funny." She shook her head trying to tone down her laughter but the situation was so funny to her. Suddenly, she stops laughing and look at the prince who was still confused about her reaction. "Being here, talking to you is more dangerous than calming down a horse. I could get my throat sliced anytime." She turned her head slightly to look at the Duke before she flashed a short smile at the prince. "I should go. Excuse me, Your Highness." She bowed her head and walked away from the two men. 

"Come on Joe!" She ran after she took a few steps away from the prince. The horse jumped in joy and continued chasing its owner. "Is she playing a chasing game with her horse?" Taehyung tilted his head, looking at the woman who was happily being chased by her horse. Jungkook did not say anything and just look at the scene in front of him.

"Taehyung, I am asking you as your friend. What is your relationship with Kang Bada?"Jungkook asked in his usual serious manner. Taehyung rolled his eyes "She is my junior at the academy. Why are you asking me that?" Taehyung shook his head and climb on his horse. It looks like he won't be seeing Aera today. "Have it ever crosses your mind to make Bada as your Queen?" Jungkook was still asking weird questions. "No! Why are you asking me this?" The prince was displeased with the questions. "It's good then."

"What do you mean good?"Teahyung looks at his best friend, the knight that has brought multiples victories to the kingdom. Jungkook was that one friend who rarely looks at women and never once he paid any attention to any woman. "I'm keeping my eyes on her," Jungkook said as he hopped onto his horse. They should make a move back to the castle as the day is getting darker. It seems like the woman that the crown prince was looking for is not around. "Kang Bada? Why would you keep your eyes on someone like her? She's not from a noble family,"  Taehyung asked as he hopped onto his horse. 

"I think I've told you before, that I'm looking for one girl." Jungkook scratched his head lightly as he wanted to end the conversation as soon as possible. "No, you never tell me anything."Taehyung could sense that Jungkook was uncomfortable with the topic. Of course, he would feel uncomfortable, they never talk about girls. They always talk about politics, war and important news but they never have a deep conversation about any woman. "Well, she looks like someone I've met before. And I really think she was the girl that I vowed to marry when I was a kid," 

"Hahahaha, I think your mind is playing tricks. Is the girl that you vowed to marry when you are a kid looks like Kang Bada or prettier?" Taehyung asked as he chuckled. He remembered now, Jungkook used to tell him that he met a beautiful girl in the woods and the girl help him find his way out. Since then, he never finds any girl as pretty. "Kang Bada is really pretty," Jungkook muttered lowly but loud enough to be captured by Taehyung eyes. 

"Really? Do you think she's pretty?" Taehyung looks at his friend in disbelief. Jungkook's face remained stoic as both of them riding slowly to the castle. "You have really weird eyes. I can say that much." Taehyung shook his head and both of them continue their journey in silence. 

Two days later, 

"Mother~! The royal troops are here." Bitna yelled from the front window as she saw a group of men with royal flags heading towards their house. Madam Kang turned her head to look at Aera's panicking face and a smirk appeared on her face. Without saying anything, Madam Kang dragged the girl to the attic and locked the door of the attic. She's not going to let Bada slipped her chance of marrying the crown prince because of Lee Aera. After a few minutes, Madam Kang came down and asked the twins to sit in the living hall gracefully. 

"We are here to look for the mysterious girl who ran away from the royal ball and left her glass slipper." One of the royal men talked to Madam Kang in his serious voice. 

"I had two lovely daughters. Maybe they are the one you're looking for." Madam Kang invited a few of the troops' representatives to come into her house. Guiding them to the living room where Bada and Bitna were sitting while pretending to do some embroidery.

"This is my elder daughter. I introduce to you the most beautiful lady in this house, Young Miss Kang Bada." Madam Kang proudly stated and walked her daughter forward. The royal knight bends down to help the lady to slip her feet into the shoe. "I'll do it." Bada stepped back refusing the royal knight's help. Bada went into the powder room to try on the glass slipper. She sighed, she saw the horse belongs to the prince among the troop. She was sure that the crown prince was masking his face as a royal knight.  Bada shook her head and slip on the slipper.

Her feet are bigger than the slipper. Rolling her eyes, she squeezes her big feet into the glass slipper causes her heel to bleed. The edge of the slipper was too sharp for her heel. Bada came out from the powder room and showed the troops that she could wear the glass slipper. "You!?!" Madam Kang gasped as she looks at her daughter. 

"It's a perfect fit," Bada said proudly as she turned her head towards the troops. All of them are wearing a red uniform with golden studs, she could not tell which one of them is the crown prince. "Sister, y-your feet," Bitna said as she pointed the dripping blood from the beautiful crystal clear shoe. Bada smirked as she noticed the glass cut deeper into her flesh. Bitna was scared to try on the slipper as it gives her a mysterious vibe. 

"It's unfit." Bitna smiled awkwardly at the royal night that help her to slip on the shoe. "Perhaps do you have another daughter?" The royal knight asked as both Bada and Bitna cannot wear the shoe. "No." Madam Kang replied it short and simple before she ushered all the royal knights out of the house. The royal troops stare remain on Madam Kang's face longer than she anticipated. She clear as she opened wide the door of the mansion. 

"I hope you find the one that belongs to the shoe." She put on her polite smile before bowing politely to the royal troop. Her smiles disappeared as the royal troops step out of her mansion. Madam Kang closed her door and walked towards the attic where Aera was locked. "You!!" Madam Kang slapped Aera in anger. 

"I've told you to stay home that night! How dare you lie to me you wench!!" She slapped Aera again as she was furious. She could tell that Aera was the mysterious girl that the prince is searching for. Why would the prince make her house as the last house in the entire kingdom if he didn't know the mysterious girl are from this household? "Mother, I'm sorry." Aera weeps as another slap landed on her flawless face. 

"Stop it, mother. I'm begging you!" Aera's voice got louder and reached the troops that were already a few feet away from the property. Aera ran away from the stepmother as she descended the stairs in tears. She did not mean to lie in the first place. "How dare you lie to me!?!" Madam Kang yelled as she followed the girl who was crying at the foyer of the mansion. Madam Kang's voice reached the troops clearer and causes some of the troops to turn around and look at the mansion. Taehyung who was disguising himself as part of the troop was the first to turn around with his horse. 

"I think she's hiding another person. Let's check it out." One of the royal knights said and turn around. Making his way back to the Marquess Lee's property. Taehyung took no time but to jump off his horse and knock on the wooden door of the mansion. Bada and Bitna pulled her mother away as Aera ran down the stairs after hearing the royal knights were knocking on their door again. Aera who was in fear ran to the door as fast as she can and opened the door. 

"Aera." The prince mumbled as he saw the face that opened the door on his knock. A stream of tears run down her cheek as she saw the crown prince. "Bring me the shoe." The prince lifted his right hand as one of his royal knights brought the shoe to him. Taehyung bent down and help the girl to slip on her shoe. It was the perfect fit. The shoe was perfectly made for her. Taehyung smiles as he pulled the lady into a tight hug. Taehyung look up at the stairs where Madam Kang, Bitna and Bada were looking at him in annoyance. 

"I want all of them to be punished due to lying to the royal family," Taehyung announced it loud as his eyes clashed with Bada's piercing gaze. Bada smirked at the prince before lowering her head as her mother and sister did. From this point onward she'll hate Kim Taehyung forever.