Ch 4

Cinderella's Step Sister and the knight

"Stupid kids! Did you think I will let you stay at home just because you broke your arm?" Madam Kang yelled in anger, looking at her daughter that was laying on the bed with her hand wrapped in a bandage. "Bitna, find me an animal. Any animal will do." She turned her head to the younger one who was standing beside her.

"Mother, it's okay. This will heal in another three days. Bitna already does her part." Bada shook her head, looking at her sister who went out from the room to look for an animal to be a sacrifice to heal her hand. This is how their magic works. If they heal something, sickness or pain will be transferred to the magic caster. Then, sickness and pain will be healed after a few days. However, the sickness could be transferred to other living things, like animals and human.

"Mother!!" Bada yelled in pain as her mother cast the spell on her that causes her hand to twist. Bada remained unconscious after the treatment and Bitna covered her sister in the thick blanket. Madam Kang left the room in anger with a dead black cat in her arm.

"Mother? What did you do with that cat?" Aera who was sweeping the foyer saw her stepmother coming down from the stairs. Madam Kang's energy was almost fully drained from her body since it had been a while she used her healing power.  "Bury this cat." She said and passed the cat to the stepdaughter. 

"Mother, did you kill this cat?" Aera asked as her eyes were b in tears as she held the dead cat in her arm. Madam Kang inhaled sharply as her stone-cold face turned into a frown. "Yes, I did." She hissed. Aera tears flew down her face. "How can you be so mean? What did the cat ever do to you?" Aera was sobbing and hugged the dead cat tightly. 

"Ha... said the meanest person in this family. Shut your mouth and bury the cat." Madam Kang smirked and just walked away from the foyer and disappeared into her reading room. Aera was bawling and ran out of the house with the dead cat in her arm. After calming herself down for a few minutes, she went to a small cemetery area where she buried all of her dead pets.

"May you rest in peace." Aera put some wildflowers on the cat's burial place. She walked away from the property and head into the woods behind their estate. Who knows she might see the crown prince accidentally. 

"Mother! No!!! Mother, please show me some mercy." Aera kneeled on the floor as Madam Kang snatched away the dress that she made. Madam Kang smirked as she look at the dress in her hand. A soft pink dress with a really elegant style. She turned her head to look at her twins that remained silent while watching her. "Girls, hand me a scissor." Madam Kang smiled brightly as Bitna gave her a scissor. 

"No... Please no! I swear that'll listen to you for the rest of my life. Please, let me go to the ball." Aera cried really hard and kneeling on the floor. Madam Kang tilted her head and just nodded her head. "After everything that I've done for your father and this household, of course, you should listen to me." She gritted her teeth looking at her stepdaughter who pleading to go to the ball. Aera's cries got louder as the scissor cut through the pink dress. Bitna and Bada did nothing but watch her mother in silence. 

They could sense something was not right with her mother today. Bada can tell it just by looking at her face. She looks really angry right now. Does she discover new debt from the late Marques Lee? Bada sighed and just walked out of the mansion. She got into the carriage first and sat in the carriage silently. This is why she was opposing when her mother wanted to marry the Marques. She can tell something was not right. 

"I felt bad for Aera." Bitna said as she got into the carriage. "I felt bad for mother." Bada stated as her eyes landed on her mother who just came out of the mansion and locked the door of the mansion. Madam Kang was a really good looking woman even in her late 30s. The lady gave birth to the twins when she was 19 years old and now the twins are 18 years old bachelorette. 

"Your mission for tonight is to talk to the prince or make the prince dance with you. Only then, all of the noblemen will be interested in courting you and your sister." Madam Kang pulled a straight face looking into Bada's brown eyes. Bada turned away, refusing to answer her mother.

She was pretty sure that Prince Taehyung would not even turn his head to look at her. Despite wearing a very bright navy blue dress that was accessorized with pearls and Swarovski nobody in the royal ball will talk to her or court her. Everyone knew that the crown prince hates her and that alone is a good reason why no noble guy ever wanted to start a conversation with her. 

"Mother, if nobody courted us tonight. We'll go to another ball." Bitna said placing her hands on her mother's hand. She knows her mother was really worried that nobody will marry them.

"She must have a really thick skin, coming here while knowing the prince hated her." Bada kept her head high looking around the royal hall for her best friend Young Miss Park Jinhee. She kept on encountering people who were whispering about her here and there. "Kang Bada, make sure to walk with your sister." Madam Kang snatched Bada's arm and gritted her teeth knowing that Bada was trying to escape from the royal ball. Madam Kang heard it all, the whispers about her daughter but they got no choice. They need a leader for the family to carry on. Her daughter needed to get married, they have run out of the fund to support the household. 

"Find the crown prince and talk to him." Madam Kang glared at her daughter before covering her face with the hand fan as she notices people around them were watching them. Suddenly the music in the hall was slowed down and all the guest stop talking. Bada looks up at the upper part of the stair. "Announcing the arrival of the greatest and the bravest Crown Prince Kim Taehyung!" As the announcement ended, all of the guests bowed their head, respecting his highness arrival in the royal hall. 

"Now is your chance." Madam Kang pushes her daughter to take a step forwards as everyone else was making way for the prince to walk through the royal hall. Bada was almost stumbled on her feet but halted as her eyes clashed with the prince's eyes. "It is my pleasure seeing you Your Highness. May you always be in great health." Bada bowed her head and greeted the crown prince. The crown prince did not even spare another glance at the lady to reply to her greet. 

Everyone around them gasped as the prince was really acting cold with Kang Bada. The crown prince was known to be a warm person and very polite. He will always reply to anyone that greeted him and didn't let them bowed to him for long. This is their first time sing the prince did not accept someone's greeting.

Duke Jeon Jungkook tailed the crown prince without making a sound. But as his step was coming close to Young Miss Kang Bada he felt a really cold presence around. Bada lifted her head and give him a small bow before back to her mother's side. "I told you he hates me." Madam Kang remained silent as she watched the prince walking in the royal hall and smiles at everyone. She can tell there is something deep between the prince and her daughter. 

"Find a private space to talk to him." Madam Kang said to her daughter, not giving up the idea of the crown prince going to improve her daughter's reputation in society's eyes. "Mother... Look at that." Bitna gasped as she pulled her mother sleeve. Everyone in the royal hall gasped as someone appeared at the door of the royal hall unannounced. A beautiful lady with a big blue dress is descending the stairs in her glass shoe. 

Bada scoffed and look at the crown prince. As she expected, he was stunned by the beautiful lady's entrance. Bada took a few steps forward. She knew it Aera was not going to give up coming to the ball. That girl needs a beating, she thought. "Bada, not now." Bitna stopped her from going forward. "That wench is ruining everything," Bada smirked as her eyes stayed on Aera who was already talking to the crown prince. After the music started to play, Aera and the prince were heading down to the centre of the hall for their first dance. 

"Let's get out of here." Bada tried to regain her composure and walked out from the royal hall and sat at the terrace beside the hall. How can she be fine when the man she loved is dancing with another woman? To make it worse, the woman is her stepsister. Bitna followed her older sister in silence. She knew that Bada was hurt. 

"It is alright Bitna. Leave me alone." Bada smiled at her little sister who was standing at her side without talking anything. She was aware that Bitna was being cautious not to hurt her feeling. Bada sat on the bench alone, looking at the night scenery around the royal properties. 

"Why are you here?" The silent atmosphere was disturbed with a voice coming from behind a pillar at the terrace. Bada did not say anything but her eyes remained on the shadow who was leaning on the pillar. "Young Miss Kang, are you aware that I am talking to you?" Duke Jeon Jungkook's face appeared clearer as he steps out of the dark and walked towards her. The moonlight causes him to look ethereal and breathtaking but too bad, Bada got no heart to look at his face. 

"Are you not going to answer my question?" Jungkook raised his brow looking at the girl in curiosity. "Are you going to kill me for not talking to you?" She imitated his intonation and raised her brow as he does. She was not in the mood to talk to people right now. Both of them were staring into each other eyes before another knight came. 

"Duke, the prince is heading out from the royal hall with the lady." The knight was reporting to Jungkook before disappeared into the dark again. Suddenly Bada erupted into a burst of laughter and look at the Black Knight of the kingdom in disbelief. She crossed her arm and tilted her head. "I guess our country is too peaceful nowadays that the highest-ranking black night in this kingdom needed to be the when the crown prince is going out for a date." Bada shook her head as Jungkook look at her in anger. 

"This is why we shall never talk to each other. I'm just going to make you angry." Bada shrugged and bowed her head before walking away from the Duke. "Wait." The Duke asked her to stop walking further. "How did your broken hand healed in three days?" Jungkook placed both of his hand at his back and came closer to the lady. 

"It was not broken. I just sprained it, a-accidentally." Bada looks at the man without any expression. "Really? Huh, you fainted due to the unbearing pain... Don't make a fool out of me." Jungkook smirked as her brown iris wavered under his gaze. He could sense that she was hiding something. Bada flinches slightly as Jungkook's hand was touching her once broken arm. 

"What are you doing Duke Jeon?" She looks at him in anger as he ignored her question. He slowly traced his hand from her arm down to her forearm and her fingers. She dodged his touch when he tried to grab her fingers. "Are you aware that if a nobleman is touching a lady he needs to court her officially." She squinted her eyes and look at him in anger. How dare a man touches a lady without her consent. 

"I'm courting you then." He said without much thought. "I'm rejecting your courtship. Thank you." She bowed her head and tried to escape from him. She took a few steps away from him but suddenly he grabbed her hand. "Ouch!" She yelped in pain as she tried to snatch her hand away from him. Her eyes bulged when she saw a drop of blood at the tip of her index finger. 

"What did you do?" She looks at him fiercely and pushed the man away from her but Jungkook was unbothered. He remained silences and he just stared at the wound without saying anything. "Duke Jeon, I'm asking you. What did you do?" Bada gritted her teeth in anger. After a few seconds, took his handkerchief and wipe the blood off her fingertips but the wound is still opened. "I'm sorry. I got the wrong person." He bowed his head. 

"What? You sliced my fingertip because you've mistaken me for someone else? Are you crazy???" Bada yelled attracting people from the hall who was walking nearly to the terrace. "Why are you doing this to me?" She yelled hysterically at Jungkook who was holding her hand to attend to her wound. 

"Duke Jeon? Is everything alright?" Suddenly someone appeared on the terrace. "Did the lady did something to you?" Another person comes to the terrace as her loud voice attracting people to the terrace. Bada inhaled sharply as people were asking the man whether is he fine and did she harm him. Are they really think of her as someone that is so evil that she can hurt people for no reason? She looks at the people in disbelief and Jungkook was still wiping the blood from her fingertip. She did not want to waste her energy so she snatched her hand away from him and walked away. 

"Mother, I'm going home," Bada said to her mother and just walked away without waiting for her mother to reply. "Sister, what's wrong?" Bitna asked but Bada was already far ahead heading out of the royal hall. As she reached the top of the stair to exit the royal, she heard someone was saying. "Stop her. Stop her from running away." The crown prince was chasing and the lady in blue was running away while descending down the stairs. 

Bada did not bother to stop Aera from running away and she remained still as she looks at the crown prince panting for air. "Tell everyone to look for the lady." He said to the royal guard as he took a hold of the glass shoe that she left on the stair. "Why didn't you stop her Young Miss Kang Bada?" The crown prince asked in frustration. 

"Oh, your majesty. I didn't know that you are talking to me. I'm sorry for not helping you. I should go. Have a good evening your highness." She bowed her head as she steps down from the flight of stairs slowly. She had enough drama for one night. She needs to go home. "Miss Kang Bada, wait!" Jungkook's voice reached her ears but she did not bother to turn around and look at him.