Ch 10

Cinderella's Step Sister and the knight

In less than a day, they reached the border of the Northern Kingdom. The crown prince Kim Taehyung decided to ride his horse and be their troop leader. He wanted the kingdom to see that they were not here for war. "My prince, please take good care of yourself," Aera said as Taehyung stepped down from the carriage. Taehyung nodded his head as he stepped out from the carriage. His eyes landed on Aera, who looked at him with hopeful eyes. Bada, on the other hand, keeps her head low; a maid is not supposed to look at the prince in the eyes. 

"Miss Kang, please take care of my fiance," Taehyung said before he put on his cape and walked to his horse. His long strides and charismatic silhouette steal many girls' hearts, including Aera. As the loyal knight for their kingdom, Duke Jeon and his horse remain at the side of Kim Teahyung, who was leading the envoy. The people in the Northern Kingdom steps out from their home to look at the envoy who brought the famous Lee Aera and the handsome prince to their kingdom. Aera opened the carriage's window to look at the Northern Kingdom scenery in the kingdom's capital. That was when the people of the Northern Kingdom were mesmerized by her beautiful face and porcelain-like skin. She was indeed a beautiful person. Whispers started to spread across the country where such beauty like Aera exists and currently visiting their country. 

"Announcing the arrival of the peace envoy from the Southern Kingdom," A loud announcement was made as their envoy reached the front gate of the huge castle that belonged to the Northern kingdom. Taehyung and his knight bowed their heads to the sight of the Northern's kingdom Emperor who was waiting at the front door of his castle with his ministers, scholars and advisors. "Long live the emperor of the Northern Kingdom," Taehyung greeted the emperor with etiquette. They are invited into the castle; the emperor instructs the maids to guide the envoys heading towards the right wing of the castle, where most guests are located. Taehyung, Jungkook and Aera were the faces of the envoy, and the three of them are located to stay in the castle. While the coachmen, maids and servants are located to stay in the servants' quarters. People from different hierarchies like Bada and the servants will never be treated like the nobles. 

Unlike the Northern Kingdom's threat, they were treated with such friendly gestures by the Northern people. Emperor Elton received their arrival with open arms and invited them into the castle. "Crown Prince Taehyung, I wanted you to stay in the castle for a few days, and we can talk more about our diplomatic relations," Emperor Elton smiles and walked the crown prince and his knight into the audience chamber. 

"Let me introduce myself first, I'm Elton Rafael Maverick, the eleventh emperor of the Northern Kingdom," The emperor said as he proudly said his name to Taehyung, Jungkook and Aera, who were invited into the audience chamber. Their conversation started with the threat issue and their diplomatic relationship. Taehyung is a wise prince, he knew that discussion might lead to common words between the two kingdoms. Aera did not understand the conversation, but she remain still and kept her composure all the time. "Let's end this talk, for now, Take a rest and we'll have our dinner together," The emperor stood up and was escorted out by his guard. 

"Duke? Where are you going?" Taehyung asked when he saw Jungkook stand up once everyone dispersed in their direction. "Your highness, I need to see Miss Kang right now," Jungkook bowed his head to the prince. He was restless since last night after he saw Bada's healing ability. But too bad, Bada did not use her ability fully to heal herself completely. The wound was still weeping by the time she let the little rat run away. "Why would you want to see a maid at this time?" The prince raised his brow at his loyal aide. Aera looks at the two men attentively as both of them are talking about her sister. 

"Excuse me, Duke Jeon. May I know what is your relationship with my stepsister?" Aera asked as she look at the tall man in his dark cloak that was standing right in front of the prince. The Duke turned his head to the lady and replied, "She is an important person to me," His face did not show any expression causing Aera to look at the man with suspicion. As far as she knows, Bada is not someone that interacts with men. Taehyung nodded his head, dismissing the knight to go to Kang Bada. Taehyung looks back at his fiance and reaches out his hand for her to hold. 

Aera took the hand with a smile with her mind still filled with Kang Bada. She has never seen Bada talk to Jungkook before. The crown prince, who notices that his fiance remained silent for a few minutes, asked "Is something bothering your mind, my lady?" Aera tilted her head upwards to look at the handsome face belonging to the prince. Aera shook her head as a reply, "It's nothing. It's just, how did my sister become someone important to the Duke?" She remembered hearing that the Duke almost slit Bada's throat and quarrel with her at the royal ball. 

"I'm not sure myself," Taehyung chuckled, looking at Aera's beautiful face that was now frowning. She looks lovely with any face she makes. "Bada is very wary towards men. She is not someone who men can easily approach. It is not easy to get a chance to talk to her." Aera mumbled as they continued to stroll around the castle. "Oh! I remember your majesty was pretty close to my sister before. Who initiates the conversation first?" Taehyung remained silent as he looked at Aera's pretty face. He wanted to know why this lady became so curious about something from the past. It was not something that he would like to discuss. "It was me that started the conversation with her." 

Aera nodded. Who would dare to not reply to the crown prince if he initiated the conversation? Probably that was how they become close, and Bada turns out to like the crown prince. Aera just smiled at the prince and clutched the prince to her side tighter. She could not help but feel inferior to her stepsister. Bada might not be the best-looking woman out there, but she attracts the Crown Prince and Duke Jeon to be drawn to her for some reason. "The scenery here is great. It's nothing like our kingdom," Aera diverted the topic as they reach the royal garden. 

"Duke Jeon!?" Bada was surprised when she saw the shadow in the hallway as she headed to her room. She looked at the Duke as he walked silently towards her. She looks around, anxious if other people might see them. She didn't want to be stuck in another rumour. "How did you do it?" He asked as he came closer. He uses his technique to walk silently, but the lady turns around and calls him out. "D-do w-what?"Bada stammered as she looked down at the swords that were geared on the knight's belt. The Duke chuckled as he looked at the lady's panicked face. Why did she become lovelier? The more he laid his eyes on her, the more beautiful she became. 

"You always know that I'm coming closer," The Duke said in his low voice as he reduced the gap between them. Only God knows how much he wanted to cherish the girl that saved him ten years ago. Bada looked up and their eyes clashed. The Duke gasped as he saw some tint of gold from her iris. "Your eyes, it's golden," Jungkook raised his hand and touch the petal of her eyes. Bada pulled her face backwards, avoiding the touch of the duke. "Duke Jeon, what brings you here?" 

"I'm here to check on your wound." He muttered as he pulled his hand away from touching the lady's face. "It's fine. Thank you, I can take care of myself," She refused the Duke politely. Jungkook sighed as he looked at the woman that was holding some folded fabric in her hand. Her maid attire was clean as usual, but the attire did not sit right on her. "Let me take a look at your wound," Jungkook grabbed her thin hand and walked towards an empty room. Bada sighed as she was dragged to the bright room.

The Duke makes her sit on the chair as he kneels on the floor. "May I take off your shoe?" He asked in a polite voice. He didn't want to make the lady uncomfortable. But little did he know, his presence already made Bada uncomfortable. Bada pulls her leg backwards and takes off her shoe on her own. She then lifts her foot closer to the Duke's face as if wanting to kick the man in his face. "It's fine. Cannot you see it?" Bada said in a stern, angry voice. She threw off her etiquettes and ethics, and she didn't care if the man in front of her was a Duke or what. Jungkook erupted into another peal of laughter as Bada expressed her anger to him. 

"It's still not completely healed." He gently touched her feet and put them down on his thigh. He took out an ointment from his pocket and smear the ointment on the wound before he wrapped her feet gently with a bandage. He patted the bandaged feet gently as he pull them up closer to his face. "Ouch!" He hissed as the woman suddenly kicked his chest. "Why are you doing this, Duke Jeon?" Bada asked in a panicky manner. She put down her injured leg and wore her shoe. 

"I'm repaying you for your kindness," he sighed as he rubbed his chest. This woman kicked him for real. He vowed to himself that he would repay for the kindness the girl showed him a hundredfold. Bada was about to retort back that she was not the one who saved him, but remained silent as he held her big secret. She was scared that he would tell people about her ability. "I'm sorry. Did it hurt?" She squatted down to the kneeling knight, levelling her eyes to the man. 

"Yes, it hurt so bad," Jungkook replied as he rubbed his chest. Bada looks at the man with a guilty face as she places her right hand on the part where she kicked previously. Before she makes the next movement, Jungkook places his hand on top of her hand. "Touch here. This is where it hurts." He dragged the small hand to his heart. His heart was thumping as if it was jumping inside of his ribcage. Bada lifted her head to look at Jungkook's eyes clearly as she could feel his heartbeat through his shirt. 

"Duke Jeon, get up. I think I should call the doctor for you," Bada stood up and helped the young duke to stand on his feet. Then, Bada helped the man walk out of the maid's quarters. "I'll guide you to your room. Show me the way." Bada said as she wrapped her right hand around his waist, helping the man walk. "There is this condition people called arrhythmias. I think you have that," she said in a serious manner.  Jungkook, who was pretending to be sick, was holding into his laughter. He didn't know that she'll take his words seriously. He intentionally leaned on the petite lady so she'll hold him tighter. 

"Duke Jeon? Is everything alright?" Bada and Jungkook's steps were halted in the hallway of the right-wing castle. Bada turned around to see the crown prince walking towards them with a worried face. "Your highness, could you help me carry Duke Jeon to his room?" Bada asked as she bowed her head politely. Without hesitation, Taehyung pulled the duke towards him and carried the duke to his room like a groom carrying his bride while Bada was tailing them. 

"Your highness, he told me that his heart hurt. We should call for a practitioner." Bada stated with a worried face. Taehyung looks at Jungkook in annoyance, and he turns his head to look at Bada. "Did he say that?" Taehyung raised his brow to Bada. She nodded her head eagerly as she stepped closer to the crown prince. "Your highness, I think we should call a practitioner to cut him open and check his heart." Bada then raises both of her brows to the crown prince, which causes Taehyung to catch her message. 

"Alright. The practitioner of our envoy is next door. Bring him here right now." Taehyung instructed loudly and clear. Bada went out from the Duke room to call for the practitioner in no time. "You're not going to cut me open for real, right?" Jungkook sat on his bed and tucked Taehyung's shirt. The crown prince turned his head to look at his loyal knight. "Bada told me that something is not right with your heart. Of course, we should check your condition." Taehyung said with a worried face. 

"Your highness, the practitioner might be late. I think it is better for you to check on the duke yourself. I have already brought the knife. Why don't you use your knowledge from the treatment camp on your knight." Bada appears in the room with a knife in her hand. Jungkook stood up as Taehyung reached for the knife.

"I'm fine!!! Look at me! My heart is fine!" Jungkook smiled brightly and walked toward Taehyung with a pleading face. "Duke Jeon, try to catch this if you are fine," Bada said and threw a cushion towards him. Jungkook catches the cushion skillfully. Suddenly the crown prince erupted into a huge fit of laughter. It has been a long time since he makes a fool out of Jeon Jungkook. Jungkook steps back and looks at the two humans in his room. Bada bowed her head to the Duke with a smirk on her face. "I should head back to my dorm. Excuse me, your highness." Bada bowed to the prince before she stepped out of the room. 

Taehyung shook his head as he laughed. "Did you think someone like Kang Bada would fall for your petty trick?" Taehyung said as he plopped down on the huge bed. He didn't know he could laugh this much since he became a crown prince. The duke sat on the sofa as he looked at the door of his room that was not completely shut. "You should have left the two of us alone," Jungkook whined as he ruffled his hair. Taehyung turned his head and looked at his knight. 

"You can talk to her more when you see her next time," Taehyung said as he got himself comfortable on Jungkook's bed. Jungkook leaned back on the sofa with a long sigh. "Do you think it is easy to talk to Kang Bada?" He asked with a serious face before he broke into a blooming smile. It was unimaginably cute to think that Bada pretended like she was a fool when he told her about his heart. "Both of you almost got me just now. Knowing how weak is your medical knowledge, I swear to God I'll jump out of the window if you're to cut me open," Jungkook shook his head as a big smile appeared on his face. Taehyung smiled cheerfully as he looked at Jungkook, who surely looked like he was having fun. Knowing Jungkook, he was a man who rarely laughed or had fun due to his strict family upbringing. Hence, Taehyung cannot help but feel happy for his friend.

"Announcing the arrival of Princess Aires Elena Rhea Maverick," The doorman opens the dining hall door wide. Unveiling a beautiful princess with beautiful silver hair and golden eyes. The eyes are similar to the emperor's. She was escorted by a few maids. The emperor stood up and went to his daughter. Then, he helped the princess walk to her dining chair. Her skin was pale, and her body seemed weak. "Let me introduce you. This is my daughter, Princess Aires," He proudly introduced his daughter and planted a kiss on top of the princess's head as he went back to his chair. Taehyung and Aera greeted the princess with a smile. 

"My daughter has been sick for a long time. But she wanted to join this tea session because she wanted to meet the future crown princess." The emperor said as he gazed at his daughter with a lovely smile. Princess Aires has been sick since she was 7 years old. She was born with a weak heart, and he condition worsened as she grew up. She could barely move her limbs due to her weak heart. She occasionally collapses if her heart can't handle her movement. Princess Aires was the only heir to the Northern Kingdom emperor's throne, hence, the Emperor tried his best to look for a cure. 

Taehyung and Aera walked in the garden, enjoying the sunset in the huge Northern Kingdom's palace garden. Jungkook and Bada were tailing the two in the garden in silence. Aera glanced at Bada once in a while, ensuring the maid was at a distance she was comfortable with. After knowing that the crown prince was the one who initiated the conversation with Bada, she could not help but be anxious. "How's your leg?" Duke Jeon asked the maid, who remained silent. 

Bada lifted her head and looked at the man with a smile. "It's great. Thank you for asking," Bada replied in a low voice. She didn't want people to see that she was having a conversation with a duke. Jungkook nodded his head as he smiled at the lady. He could not understand it. Even the simplest reply from Kang Bada could make him this happy. "I want to go to the capital tonight. Do you want to come with me?" Jungkook's invitation causes Bada to look at the man in his eyes again. What is this man is trying to do? They exchange a few seconds of stares before Bada turns her head away and continues to walk forward. 

"Rosalyn?" The emperor of the Northern Kingdon suddenly appeared in the garden and walked closer to Aera and Taehyung, who were strolling the garden. Aera looked at the emperor with a puzzled look. Taehyung and Aera bowed their head to the approaching emperor. The emperor walked past the two of them and went straight to Bada, who was ten feet away from the couple. Bada kept her head low, "Long live the emperor of the Northern Kingdom." The emperor shook his head a few times before he grabbed her shoulder. He pulled her chin up to look at her face more clearly. 

"Rosalyn?" The emperor asked with a confused face. Bada shooked her head and stepped back, releasing herself from the emperor's grip. "Your highness, I think you misunderstood me for another person, " Bada said in her polite voice. "Then, are you Evangeline Ruth?" The emperor asked again. He knew the slave looked familiar like someone he knew. The maid looks exactly like a woman he used to know. Bada kept her face down, and she was not in the position to look at the Emperor in the eyes. She was just a maid. 

"It is you!! Eve! I know it is you," The emperor suddenly pulled Bada's chin and tilted her head upwards. The emperor takes a closer look at the maid's face. Bada remains quiet as the emperor observes her features one by one. "Your eyes it's golden." The emperor whispered in his low voice. "Your Majesty, my eyes are dark brown. I think you-" Bada's words were cut short when the emperor pulled her hand and dragged her out from the garden.