Ch 12

Cinderella's Step Sister and the knight

"Eve Rosalyn?" Bada whispered to herself in wonder. That name was somewhat familiar in her ears, but she couldn't remember where she had heard of that name before. Bada sat down on the bed in the small quarters. Is the emperor really her father? Bada looked at her own reflection on the small table mirror. Emperor Elton of the Northern Kingdom had dark brown eyes and silver hair. Bada tried to remember the silhouette of the father that left her and Bitna as he went to the North. She couldn't remember his face clearly, as if something was preventing her from remembering her past. 

Bada took a cloak from the cupboard and walked out from the maid's quarters. She needs to get out from this quarter and clear her mind. Bada snuck out of the palace and just walked straight to the small town nearby. The town was lit up with beautiful street lights and friendly people. The people in the Northern Kingdom look totally different from the people in her country. None of the people had pitch-black hair like her. Ginger hair, blonde, brunette and silver hair were the common hair of the people here in the Northern Kingdom. Due to the difference in their physical appearance, Bada attracted a lot of attention from the people there. 

"My lady, are you not from here?" A voice disturbed her silence, which caused Bada to turn her head to look at the man who was talking to her. Bada looked at the man in confusion as she couldn't see his appearance as he masked his appearance with a cloak. The man hid his face behind a mask but the lower part of his face was still visible to her. 

"Yes, I'm not from here," Bada bowed her head in respect before she turned her head back to the front. She didn't want to talk to anyone right now. "Now, please excuse me," Bada placed her right hand on her chest before she went away from the man.  She wanted to be alone right now. 

"My lady-" The man was about to say another word but Bada cut him short with a glare. 

"Stop, don't talk to me," Bada said as she walked away from the man. Before she could take more than five steps away from the man, the man grabbed her arm and dragged her to a hidden alley in the town. Bada sighed as a smirk appeared on her face. This man must have thought that she was a weak woman. The man was about to remove his cloak when Bada kicked his shin with her left leg and hit the back of his head with her right hand. "Ouch!!!" The man yelled as he fell down to the ground. 

"I'm not trying to harm you, my lady." The man said as he got up on his feet. The man lifted his right hand as if signalling something. Before long, another man appeared with a large hat in his hand. The man that brought a large hat looked like the subordinate of the man in the black cloak. 

"My lady, wear this hat and hide your hair and your eyes," The man in the black cloak as he places the huge hat on top of Bada's head. 

"What are you doing, Sir?" Bada refused to wear the hat as she took it off right away.

The man sighed before he took a step forward and grabbed Bada's hand. 

He held both of Bada's hands and brought them close to his face. His cloak fell as he untied the thread of his cloak with Bada's hands. Bada held her breath as her eyes finally met the eyes of the man. He had a pair of golden eyes that shone so bright and mesmerizing. 

"Your eyes... it's golden," Bada whispered in shock as she looked into his pair of eyes. She has never seen anyone with that kind of eyes before. The man nodded his head in agreement as he removed the mask that covered the upper part of his face. Unveiling a beautiful face of a man. With his tall nose, beautifully carved brows and smooth skin, he didn't look like other people. He looks beautiful in her eyes.

The man looks at her in wonder after hearing her remark about his eyes. "My lady, you have the same pair of eyes as mine," The man replied to Bada gently. Bada scoffed as she stepped back, creating more distance between him and her. Is this a kind of way to court a woman in this kingdom? Bada shook her head as she picked up the fallen cloak and mask before giving them back to him. 

"I shall go,... " Bada said before she walked away from the man. She wanted to calm down from the overwhelming palace, but it does not mean that she wants to socialize with anyone. She had a lot of things going through her mind right now, she just wanted to be alone. "My lady, it is not safe for you to walk around. If someone can actually see the true colour of your eyes, you'll be killed." 

"What are you talking about? What with my eyes' colour?" Bada snapped back at the man in anger as she looked back at him with a glare. She just wanted to walk around alone. Why did everyone just love to bother her? Why? Bada screamed internally. "It's golden, like mine," The man said as he observed Bada closely. It seems like the lady herself was not aware of her eye colours.  Suddenly, his eyes bulged as he nodded his head in understanding. The lady that was standing in front of him was sure not an ordinary lady. 

"Look at this, can you do it?" The man picked up a dried leaf on the ground, and in less than a few seconds, the colour of the leaf turned green as if it was alive again. The man showed her his ability to resurrect dead plants. At that moment, Bada knows that this man was also gifted with such a special ability. "Don't show it to people. Or else they'll think you're a witch," Bada whispered as she glares at the man. 

"Because of the blood in our body, we need to cover our eyes and abilities." The man whispered. "I'm Kim Seokjin. You can call me Jin." He said as he looked around. He could sense someone was approaching them.  He turned his body around as a man's silhouette appeared in the alley. Seokjin picked up his cloak from the ground and covered his face.

"Young Miss Bada, what are you doing here?" Duke Jeon said as soon as his eyes met Bada's eyes. He followed her quietly when she left the palace but lost track when she reached the middle of the small town. Bada looked at Jungkook in wonder. How did he know that she was here? How did Seokjin able to tell that someone was coming? Looking at his action, it was as if he could hear Jungkook's footsteps. Jungkook reduced the distance between him and Bada and observed her from head to toe. Bada never thought that Jungkook would follow her around in silence. Bada took a step back when Jungkook's face was just a few inches away from her face. His brown irises looked at her as if he was relieved to see her.  

"Who is this man?" Jungkook asked as he saw a man in a black cloak and face mask looking at him. Bada turns her head back to Seokjin. She thought he was already gone when Jungkook appeared. But he was still there beside her. "I don't know him. Let's go." 

"My lady, did you trust this man?" Seokjin asked as he pointed his finger at Jungkook. Jungkook scoffed before he stepped in between Bada and the strange man. "My lady, are you aware that people like you and me cannot trust anyone in this world," Seokjin added in his stern voice as he took a step back before he walked away from the alley when he could see that the lady was not paying any attention to his words. 

"Why did he says that?" Jungkook shook his head before he turned his body back to Bada. She stood still as she looked in the direction where the strange man heads to. Duke Jeon sighed before placing an arm around Bada's small waist and guiding her to the busier part of the street. Bada stole some glances at Jungkook when she felt that this man was standing too close beside her and not to forget his arms wrapping around her waist.

"Duke Jeon? I can walk by myself just fine." Bada said as she gently unwrapped his arm from her waist. 

"Oh,... where is my manner? I'm sorry," He replied as he bowed his head. He was just taking his chance to touch her, but obviously, the lady didn't like it. 

"It's fine," Bada replied as she continued to walk. Her head moved left and right as she walked down the busy street. Jungkook smiled as he could see her head clearly as he walked a few feets away from her. The only person with black hair in the crowd, of course, it will make her pop out. They walked down the street without saying anything, just exchanging glances.  

"Duke Jeon, why didn't you accompany the crown prince and just leave me alone?" Bada, who felt the constant stare that Jungkook gave her since they met at the alley, decided to reduce the distance between them and ask him why is he following her. 

"Well, the prince and his princess wanted to rest in the palace. So, he asked me to stay away from them both," Jungkook replied. 

"And you decided to follow me during your free time?" Bada raised one of her brows and crossed her arm. Jungkook let out a peal of small laughter as his eyes stay on Bada's face. How can a person be this lovely? He tilted his head to look at Bada's face differently. Something drew him into her charm. Her face seems prettier each time he looks at her. How her skin was actually glowing in a mysterious golden hue. Her eyes' colour bothers him. He noticed that her eyes changed their colour from pitch black to gold when she turned her head abruptly. But it didn't happen all the time, he noticed it when he surprised her at the maid's quarters yesterday. 

"Duke? Duke Jeon?" Bada stopped him from moving forward by placing her palm on his chest. 

Jungkook, who was lost in his thought, came back to reality when Bada stopped him from moving. His heart was thumping as if it was about to jump out of his ribcage.  Just a simple stare from Bada could turn him into a mess. He shook his head as he looked at Bada, who was analysing his behaviour.  He put on a bitter smile on his face before he grabbed Bada's hand without asking for her permission. 

"Young Miss Kang Bada, just let me hold your hand until my heart calms down..." 

"W-what is wron-" Bada shut as she could feel his pulse from his hand that gripping her hand. His heart was definitely in rage right now. She noticed that his ears turned red as he continuously walked forward. Did the duke really like her? Why did he even like her? 

"Duke Jeon, I wanted to look at these accessories. Can you let go of my hand?" Bada spoke again after about an hour of silence and walk. He didn't walk too fast like he used to. He slowed down his steps. He didn't want to say anything as any of the words that came out of his mouth might mislead the lady. The sentence 'I want you' keep replaying in his mind. He wants her. He wants Kang Bada. Jungkook nodded his head as he let go of Bada's hand.

She just turned her head and touched the pearl bracelet at the stall. She wanted to buy a bracelet for her mother and Bitna. Maybe she could ask the envoy to pay a short visit to the treatment camp so she could meet Bitna.  Bada picked a pink bracelet for Bitna and an emerald bracelet for her mother after a few minutes of observing the accessories at the stall. Jungkook, who stands still beside her, could see her agony in picking a bracelet for herself. 

"This silver pearls suit you," He said as he picked up the one bracelet that got his attention. 

"Really?" 

"Hmm," He hummed. 

"Alright, I'll take the silver one," Bada said to the woman at the stall. The woman nodded her head and wrapped the bracelets nicely into a small pouch. The woman's eyes bulged when she accidentally touched Bada's hand when receiving money from her. The lady then alternately looks at Jungkook and Bada.

"Oh, so your clan is opposing your relationship with this man?" The lady asked as she stepped closer to Bada. Bada looked at the lady in confusion. Jungkook looked at Bada as he didn't understand what was the seller talking about. The bracelet lady pointed to a man who stood a few feet away from them. Bada and Jungkook turned their heads to look at where did the lady was pointing at. 

"Run! Run, young lady, run~!" Bada's eyes bulged as soon as her eyes clashed with the unknown man. She could see a black shadow growing from the man's body as their eyes talked to each other. 

"Duke Jeon, let's go," Bada panicked as she ran away from the unknown man. Jungkook, who was unable to see what Bada could see, just looked at the busy street in wonder before he ran after Kang Bada, who was running as if she was chased by someone.