Waking in Unknown Beds 2.0

You're So Difficult
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"May I help you?" 

 

Yuna turned to face the source of the voice. She had been greeted by one of the elves whose large eyes blinked back at her, waiting for an answer. 

 

"Hello. I am visiting Kim Chanmi." 

 

"She's further down the ward, Ms. Would you like me to take you there?" 

 

"No, thank you. I'll be fine." 

 

The elf bowed at her and disappeared. Yuna walked down the hallway, eyes flickering to the numbers that hung on each patient's room. 92, 93, 94, 95. She stopped in front of 96 and entered. In the same position as she had been left in, Chanmi laid still under the white covers of the bed. Seeing the sun's rays streak across her peaceful expression, Yuna closed the window and let down the blinds, the now room dim and faint. 

 

She sat down in the chair and lowered her eyelids. After futile attempts of rolling up her sleeves, Yuna simply pushed the robes up as she rested her head on her hand. She rubbed the sides of her neck, fingers moving upwards to tug at the ends of her earlobes. Her gaze fell to Chanmi and the slivers of stray hair that covered her face. Yuna moved her hand towards her, then hesitated before following through with her actions. She brushed the strands lightly off her face, fingers barely touching Chanmi's skin as she tucked her hair behind her ears. Her touch lingered, Yuna finding herself tracing around the shell of her ear to the edge of her jaw, ending at her chin. Unable to move, Yuna's finger laid there until she gripped down harder, causing Chanmi's lips to lightly part. 

 

Yuna retracted her hand immediately, nearly hitting herself in the process. She shook her head and tried to change her path of thought. 

 

Instead, she picked up the hand that was dangling on the edge of the bed and moved them onto Chanmi's stomach. She ran her finger down the grooves of her knuckles, venturing towards her prominent tendons. Yuna closed her eyes and sank further into her chair. It had been a long day, and there was still half of it to go. 

 

"Oh? Yuna?" 

 

Yuna's eyes shot open, her entire body tensing as her grip flew off Channmi's hand. 

 

"Guess I should have expected you to be here." 

 

Jimin placed her satchel down beside the legs of the bed and stood next to Chanmi. 

 

"How's she going?" 

 

Up until then, Yuna hadn't spoken a word. It had only been a few hours since Chanmi had even been here, but she felt the need to return once more without anyone else in the room, but her plans had gone out of the window. 

 

"Good, I think. It was just exhaustion, not like a hex or anything so she'll be alright." 

 

"Stupid girl."

 

"What?" 

 

"Stupid. Girl. I cannot believe she still doesn't know how to take care of herself. Since day one, she's never been her own priority." 

 

Yuna swallowed at those words as Jimin sat down on a stool and stared at Chanmi. 

 

"She'd better wake up soon. She needs a good scolding." 

 

"I thought you'd be nicer to her." 

 

"I would, but she already has you for that." 

 

Yuna shuffled awkwardly in her seat, her fingers fidgeting with each other. 

 

"I suppose she does." 

 

She noticed Jimin eyeing her from her seat, but the girl chose not to elaborate and instead moved on. 

 

"I heard you talked with Seolhyun today." 

 

"My, news sure travels fast to you, doesn't it?" 

 

"What can I say, people just can't get enough of me."

 

 Yuna jokingly scoffed at her words, knowing she was playing around. 

 

"But it seems like you've knocked some sense into her." 

 

"Really?" 

 

Jimin hummed, head not really in their conversation, Yuna could tell. 

 

Their talk ended like such, and while Jimin was looking nothing less than relaxed in her seat, Yuna knew it wouldn't be too long before the girl got impatient and needed to do or say something. Though, what was Jimin expecting, it wasn't like Chanmi would wake just from her visit.

 

"Those two are a bit daft aren't they?" 

 

Yuna didn't know whether she was allowed to agree. Instead, she smoothened out a bit off the covers that had bunched up near Chanmi's hand. Their fingers brushed and Yuna did her best not to react in front of Jimin. 

 

"It must have been a while since you've last seen Chanmi." 

 

Jimin nodded. "You know the last time I saw her was at Hogsmeade when I had to drag Seolhyun back to the train." 

 

Yuna recounts that day easily. It had been the same day when she woke up with Chanmi in her bed, got led through their little tunnel, pretended to be a Slytherin, nearly kissed Chanmi and met Seolhyun for the first time. 

 

"Then it has been a while." 

 

"I hope they make up before I leave. You know that's on my mini bucket list? I named it my Hogwarts Holy HGrail. The HHH

 

"Do you know what the Holy Grail is?" Yuna asked, questioning Jimin's use of the term to describe a bucket list when another realisation dawned on her. "Hold on a second." 

 

Yuna wondered if she was having a because surely there was an error in her abbreviation. Hogwarts, yes, and Holy works too, but Grail? 

 

Jimin must have seen the confusion written all over her pretty face. "There's a silent 'H' in front of grail. And nope, but it's symbolic." 

 

"I see," Yuna responds, though, in reality, she doesn't. She doesn't see it at all. In actuality, she doesn't want to either. 

 

Jimin was one of a kind, that's for sure. 

 

"But I've done all I can. Unless Chanmi wakes up, you know. It's up to those two now. However." She shifts her focus to Yuna and rests her head in her hand, propping her elbow on top of her crossed legs with her fingers cupping her cheek. "There is something I can do about what's in front of me." 

 

"What are you saying?" 

 

"What will you do when Chanmi wakes up?" 

 

Yuna panics at the question because she wasn't sure. From the two weeks since they last talked, Yuna had their last interaction playing in her mind like a broken record. She vividly remembered her hands pressing down onto her soft mattress, leaning closer and closer as she watched Chanmi shut her eyes. It drove her crazy, knowing how close she was, only for nothing to happen and having no other word on the matter for weeks. 

 

When Yuna doesn't respond, Jimin decides to continue her barrage of questions. 

 

"What's the problem?" 

 

"There isn't really a problem. There might be nothing at all, actually." 

 

"I don't know Chanmi that well, but Seolhyun does and if she was threatened then I'd say otherwise, though that girl is a wonder in herself." 

 

Yuna gave a faint nod, clearly not convinced and Jimin sighed. 

 

"Come on, there's no use thinking so much about it. Let's make it simple. Do you still like her?" 

 

"Yeah." 

 

"Then that's all that matters right now. You can't do anything when Chanmi's out cold but you're putting in the effort and the care, being here and all. I'm sure Chanmi will see and appreciate that." 

 

"Sure, but." 

 

Yuna paused, biting the insides of her cheek in thought. "It might not be enough." 

 

"Enough for?" 

 

"I don't know. Just enough for anything." 

 

"You? Seo Yuna? First in charms and transfiguration, widely popular, buddies with the Bloody Baron, which by the way you have got to tell me how that happened because he still glares at me whenever we pass by each other," she whispers, interrupting her little list. "Managed to talk sense into the notoriously stubborn and headstrong Kim Seolhyun and do I even have to mention future head girl of Hufflepuff? I don't know if there's a person you won't be enough for, not even me." 

 

Yuna puts a small smile on her face. "Those are just achievements, I'm not that much as a person. And maybe one day, but he only glares at you because you were so rude to him in your junior years." 

 

"So uptight, doesn't he know that people can change?" 

 

"Well, you haven't changed that much in the rude sense." 

 

"Hey! You know, you and Seolhyun have more in common than you think, both of y'all seem to love to make fun of me when all I'm doing is trying to be nice and helpful." 

 

Yuna laughs, something that Jimin never fails to make her do. "I'm just teasing you, Jimin." 

 

"That had better be the case and mind you, I'd say being able to sway Seolhyun is both a feat and task that goes to show you as a person." 

 

"Sure, I suppose." 

 

"Besides, would I hang out with you if you weren't a great person?" 

 

"You hang out with a lot of terrible people too, Jimin." 

 

"I guess you're right there, but you're different. There are not many people I'd see over you." 

 

It was a unique compliment, a sort that touches Yuna's heart deeply. She doesn't question, even though she wants to, why Jimin would rather see her rather than all her more interesting, more successful, well-known or even just fun friends. For someone like Jimin, who knew nearly everyone so it seemed, it meant more to Yuna than she could express.

 

Instead, she stands up and leans over Chanmi, hand planted on the bed as she reaches out to tap Jimin's pinky twice; their silent but effective communication of gratitude and love. Taps on the hand, nudges of the elbow, it was what worked for the two of them and Jimin finds herself beaming as she receives Yuna's message of thanks. 

 

As Yuna leans back to her seat, Jimin moves forwards and wraps her hand around Yuna's index and middle finger she smiles back at her action. What surprises her is that Jimin says it aloud. 

 

"Don't worry." 

 

"I'll try." 

 

Despite the uncomfortable position, (for Yuna anyway, she's leaning over the bed with one hand supporting her and the other outstretched with Jimin's grip on her fingers), the two stayed unmoving. 

 

"Say, Jimin," Yuna starts off, trying to sort out all the thoughts that were bothering her. 

 

She wonders what Chanmi thinks of her, whether she's just a stiff Hufflepuff, a friend, possibly more, or if the girl would even spare her a thought. It was scary to think that she could be so plain that Chanmi wouldn't even pay attention to her. Chanmi was so out there, bold and brave. A chaser on the Quidditch team, can somewhat apparate and a cute cat as an animus. Not even a normal cat. A pretty brown cat. Of course, Yuna finds herself focussing on the trivial details, but isn't that what matters the most? The little things that tell you someone's special. What would an exciting, charming Slytherin want to do with a prefect who tried to hex and report her?

 

"Would you ever date a Hufflepuff?" 

 

Jimin stares back at her, hands still wrapped around Yuna's digits unmoving. Yuna thinks to herself that she has Jimin wrapped around her fingers and before she could voice her thought, Jimin opened with the most serious expression ever

 

"Well, I'm sorry to disappoint, like you're pretty and all, Yuna, but you're not really my type." 

 

It took them less than a second since the last word to leave Jimin's mouth before they burst out laughing, Yuna giggling to herself with her eyes closed while Jimin's manic laugh hollering around the ward. 

 

She tried to quiet the girl between her own laughter and lifted her finger to but she had not envisioned Jimin would hold her grip and pulled Jimin far too close to her. 

 

"My my, Yuna. I didn't think you were this forward," Jimin teases, face only a few centimetres away from Yuna's.

 

"Why don't you ask Chanmi when she wakes up then?" she returns, pushing Jimin back to her side of the room while copying the girl's token coy grin that every Slytherin wished they possessed. Yuna thinks she should be an honorary one, just for how exact her smirk is. It's just what happens when you see an exemplary Slytherin for several years. 

 

Now that Jimin wasn't hovering unstably over Chanmi's body, who frankly Yuna thought she was going to crush if she hadn't pushed her away so soon, the girl ran her hand through her hair and closed her eyes. 

 

"Seeing that Seolhyun is dating Hyejeong, I'm sure Chanmi doesn't care what house you're from. Besides, I would not be leaving this school with a calm head if I found out they were both seeing other Slytherins or something of the sort. Can you imagine the ruckus the two would get up to if they were? I don't think we'd have them intact. 

 

She opened her eyes and gazed right into Yuna's eyes and Yuna knew to listen. 

 

"Anyway, I don't really know Hyejeong but I do know you and I'd be glad if any of my friends are with you, you puff. Now I can't guarantee what Chanmi feels, but that's a matter for you two." She moves towards Yuna's side of the bed. "But if Chanmi can't at least appreciate you as a person, you deserve better and I will knock some sense and my two fists into her." 

 

Yuna laughs, knowing that Jimin wouldn't dare hit something she considers her own child by the looks of it but decides to play along. 

 

"Don't you dare." 

 

Jimin ruffles her hair and Yuna hurriedly fixes it up. "You're already whipped." 

 

Yuna supposes she is right and doesn't argue further. Instead, slaps the girl's skinny arms as she turns to leave. 

 

'Top madam busy?" She asks

 

"You know it. The HHH calls. It says I gotta pick a fight with the Bloody Baron. Kidding!" 

 

She faces Yuna to show her laughing face as she pushes the curtains. "Just a little bit." 

Before she leaves, or before Yuna gets the chance to talk her out if possibly dying, Jimin takes her hand and wraps them around her own index and middle finger and disappears. 

 

Yuna doesn't want to know whether Jimin was kidding or not. She'd rather live in her ignorant bliss of pretending that there is a possibility that Jimin is simply going on a walk around the lake or reading a book on 'How to Not Get Yourself Expelled in Your Last Few Weeks of School For Idiots', when she knows that she will most likely see the girl in a few hours with some sort of hex and a gruesome story. She takes Jimin's advice of 'do not worry', whether she meant it in this situation or not. 

 

Finding herself alone in the room once more, she slid her hand under Chanmi's and laced her fingers between hers. It had been easier when Seolhyun was around, who didn't even think twice, but now that she was all alone, with nothing but her own beating heart, Yuna felt terribly vulnerable, as if she was crossing a line for harbouring these feelings.

 

Her grip on Chanmi's hand tightened to the point she found herself shaking. She let go, not wanting to hurt the girl, but white and red imprints of her fingers had already surfaced on her pale skin. Panicked, she made sure that she hadn't seriously hurt the girl, inspecting her hand with her own before resting both on top of each again once more. 

 

'Don't worry.' 

 

Jimin's gaze while she had said, well communicated, these words appeared in her clouded mind and Yuna did her best to remember them. Slowly as the minutes passed, her fingers lost their stiff posture and they rested comfortably instead. Yuna relaxed in her seat and the wisps of a smile decorated her face. Her nervousness faded away. 

 

There was no other way to put it; it was hard. It was hard pretending she hadn't been thinking about her for days on end. It was hard to pretend a stupid 4th year Slytherin who apparated into her bed meant so much to her, and it scared Yuna more than anything. 

 

What scared her the most, however, was that it was already gone, whatever they may have had and Yuna was the one who was still holding on to nothing. That Chanmi didn't really see or want her as she did.

 

Yuna held onto Chanmi's hands. Holding onto nothing was what she deeply fe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter