Chapter 4

No One But You

Bernice was glad that Jessica had taken the day off. She had not figured out how she could face her. She kept herself busied with work for the whole day. Before the end of the day, she had already liaised with all the necessary parties for the project and she reported her progress to Gallen. He was impressed and remarked, “Wow! You managed to contact all the people within the day. Jessica is right about you. You are really efficient and have great potential. Both of you are so alike.”

She had mixed feelings over his remarks. She was grateful and happy that Jessica had thought highly of her. She had always admired Jessica and strived to be like her. Yet, she felt sad when Gallen remarked that they were alike. She knew she was a substitute for her to Louis last night. The hurt and guilt that she was suppressing the whole day started to overcome her and she quickly excused herself from Gallen. She hid in the toilet and cried softly.


Jessica leaned forward to kiss Louis on his cheek after getting into his convertible. “That’s not enough to make little Louis.” he .

“You need to clean your mind.” she ticked him off with a smile.

“That would be difficult when I have a sassy and y wife like you.” he continued to , knowing that she was shy about her uality at times. “We need to do more to make little Jessica.” he whispered to her.

“Stop it! You are a ert.” she whined and gave his arm a light slap. Her cheeks were redder than her blusher. He grinned at her, admiring her shyness and rosy cheeks. He was about to lean in for another kiss when he heard her called out for Bernice. His heart stopped and he looked uneasily at the direction where her voice went.

“BERNICE!” she called out as she saw Bernice leaving the office building. She had wanted to speak to Bernice and she wanted to get away from his teasing.

Bernice stopped in her track and looked at Jessica and Louis. Louis looked away uncomfortably. Bernice chose to focus on Jessica instead. She sighed in her heart. She had been avoiding Jessica for the whole day.

“We will give you a lift. I haven’t had a chance to speak to you the whole day.” Jessica said to Bernice as she got out of the convertible and pulled forward her seat so that Bernice could get into the backseat of Louis’ two-door sport convertible.

“Thanks for the offer. But, I can go home on my own.” Bernice tried to turn down her offer.

“It’s okay. We are heading that direction too. We can’t park here for too long.” Jessica persuaded her.

Bernice got into the car reluctantly and remained quiet.

As Louis drove off, he forced himself to greet her, “Hi.”

“Hi.” She returned the greeting.

Jessica found their greetings unusual. They may not be on close terms but they were usually friendlier than present. She let it go as she had wanted to speak to Bernice since the morning. “I heard from Gallen that you have contacted everyone. Good job and keep it up!” she commended her.

“Thanks.” Bernice replied.

“I’m going on leave for three weeks starting next week. Do you think you can handle the project execution?” Jessica asked.

“It should not be a problem. Your plan is very detailed. I just need to follow it and carry out the activities. Gallen will watch over the project too.” Bernice assured her. “But, won’t you be disappointed if you don’t follow it through and see the results yourself?” Bernice asked, as it was unlike Jessica not to complete her project herself.

“I would be lying if I say I’m not disappointed. But I really need a good break. Moreover, I know that the project is in good hands.” Jessica replied with a smile, while taking a glance at Louis. She subconsciously placed her hand on his lap and her smile grew wider.

Bernice took in Jessica’s gestures. A tinge of sourness arose in her heart. “Go ahead and enjoy your leave. You deserve a good break.” she added as cheerfully as possible.

“Thanks. I’m going to Hokkaido. What do you like from there?” Jessica asked happily.

Bernice held onto the box in her tote bag. “It belongs to Jessica. Louis belongs to Jessica. They are not mine.” she said painfully to herself.

“Hey. I found this on the backseat. Is this yours?” Bernice handed the small gift box to Jessica.

Jessica took the box from Bernice. Louis’ heart missed a beat when he saw the box. “Your anniversary gift.” he said awkwardly to Jessica, almost choking himself.

Jessica took out a bottle of water from her bag and tried to feed it to Louis. “Is your throat very dry? You sound funny.” she asked with concern. He nodded his head and drank from the bottle. His heart was at his throat.

Jessica was perplexed why they had not found the gift box when they washed the car together yesterday. Louis loved his car like his second wife so there was no way he would miss the box when he cleaned the backseat. But then, he was not really concentrating on cleaning his car yesterday. Her train of thoughts was broken when Bernice reached her destination and she had to get out of her seat for Bernice to get off the car.

“Thanks for the ride. Bye.” Bernice thanked them.

“Don’t mention it. Think about what you want from Hokkaido and let me know. Bye.” Jessica said to her as she got back into the car and left.

She opened the gift box and took out a white gold chain with a pendant. The pendant had three diamonds in a row. They had seen this pendant in a shop together and the sales person had explained that the three diamonds symbolised the past, the present and the future. She looked at Louis affectionately and said, “I love it. Thanks.”

To Jessica, Louis was her past, her present and her future. He was everything to her.


As they got into bed together, Jessica asked unexpectedly “Is there something wrong between you and Bernice? Both of you seem awkward with each other today.”

“Nothing. Maybe I was too rude to her two days ago.” he replied nervously to her. This was the first time he truly lied to her. This was different from the little lies that he told her before. It was not like a lie that he would tell in order to go for a late-night drinking session with Raymond behind her back. She would be mad when she found out about that, but he knew that he could just own up and she would get over it. This was different, he knew this lie could lead to more lies and he must not let her find out the truth. He was afraid what her reaction would be.

“What did you do to her?” she asked curiously. It was unlike Louis to be rude to anyone, especially to ladies, for no apparent reason.

“Why do you ask so much?” he said and quickly kissed her to prevent her from asking any more questions. He hoped that she would let it go and she did.

She thought to herself, “Maybe he lost his temper at Bernice because he was angry with me two days ago.” She soon succumbed to his kisses and they had another passionate night together.


“Did you go drinking with Louis three nights ago?” Jessica asked her brother over the phone.

Raymond wondered why she had asked that question, so he chose to reply with another question instead. “Anything wrong with that?”

“Nothing wrong. I’m just asking. He came home and reeked of alcohol so I’m checking if he was with you. At least, I know that you would take care of him when he was drunk. You would stop from him driving when he was drunk.” she replied.

“My goodness. You are turning into a nag like Bobby. I asked you a four-worded question and you go into sentences of explanation.” he mocked her deliberately.

“I don’t want to talk to you anymore. You make sure you look after Louis when you go drinking with him, otherwise I will come after you.” she said crossly to him.

“Nag!” he said and put down the phone, leaving Jessica annoyed on the other end. She sighed at her younger brother and decided to let the matter go. She said to herself, “You should trust Louis.”

Raymond then quickly dialled Louis’ number, “Hey, Louis. Sis just called to ask if I was with you three nights ago. I didn’t give her a direct answer. Am I “supposed” to be with you?”

“Yes.” Louis replied uncomfortably.

“I called just to tally the story with you, Brother. I hope you are not cheating on my sister, though.” Raymond said jokingly and hung up without waiting for Louis’ reply.

Louis was relieved that he needed not come up with another lie to tell Raymond. He was really fearful that Jessica would find out about his misdeed. He was now hoping to get her pregnant soon so that she might forgive him due to their child.

 

(20.06.2007)