[Press 7] Birthday

Just Dial 143 [2020]

Dara’s POV

Flashback III ( 7 years ago )

“Hey Dara!”

I closed my book and turn around to find who’s calling me and I found out it was Jane and Yuri.

“Guys, you’re late” I said to them with a sulky face.

“Don’t look at me it was Yuri’s fault” Jane said pointing her hand to Yuri.

Yuri hits Jane in the shoulder. “Yaa! You traitor, you’re the one who insists to buy some melon bread from the canteen before we go here!”

“What? How dare you hit me Nam Yuri! You’re such a slowpoke choosing what to buy that’s why we’re late”

I cut them off before they perform wrestling stunts with each other.

“Guys! It’s ok. I called both of you to personally invite you on my mom’s birthday tomorrow. Are you both free?”

“Sorry Dara, I can’t because I need to retake my exams” Jane said.

“I’m fine, I’m free” Yuri said while happily raising her hand

“Sorry Jane I forgot but maybe I’ll just bring something the next day so I could cheer you up. So it’s now down to one visitor” I said

“It would be still fun Dara. It is also the first time I will meet Prince Yuki, so I will not only bring gifts for your mom but also to Prince Yuki” Yuri assured.

I paused and suddenly Prince came to my mind when Yuri mentioned Prince Yuki.

“Wait I think it’s not down to one, I will invite another friend”

“You have another friend besides from us? Wait, Is this the guy whom you found the dog with!?” Jane exclaimed.

I nod.

“It would be nice meeting him then!” Yuri said.

 

It's already 7pm and still none of my two visitors came.

"Dara, it's okay I'm fine with the two of us" Mom said.

"I prepared a lot and I don't think we can consume all of this" I replied.

Yuri suddenly called at that moment to tell me that something came up and she can’t go anymore. After Yuri called Prince came.

I was worried about Yuri but I can’t ruin my preparations for mom tonight besides were still lucky to have Prince as the only attendee.

“Happy Birthday Auntie!” Prince greeted my mom.

“Thank you for coming tonight. I hope Dara didn’t bugged you coming here.”

“Mom! I didn’t!” I interrupted

Prince chuckled and said “No, she didn’t. I’ve never been invited to these kinds of celebration, so I thought why not?”

“Prince, what happened to your eyes? It’s like you cried so much” mom asked

I was too distracted in preparing our food and worrying about Yuri that I didn’t notice his swollen eyes.

“Don’t worry maybe it’s because I slept late these days” Prince replied.

“Are you sure?” I asked.

He smiled. “Yes!”

We sang “Happy Birthday” to mom and shared the cake I personally baked. After that, Prince and I played with Yuki at the front yard while mom volunteered to do the dishes.

While playing with Yuki, I suddenly remembered the name tag and collar I bought for Yuki at the pet shop earlier. I pulled the name tag and collar from the pocket of my hoodie and present it to Prince.

“Prince, I bought Yuki a name tag and a collar” dangling it to his face

“That’s cool!” he exclaimed getting it from my hand and looking it closely

“Now it really claimed its name and is now officially my pet”

I wear the name tag and collar to Yuki then Prince handed me it’s leash.

“I’m really grateful Yuki has its own home and a really good owner” Prince said in a sad tone

“Are you sad? What happened? So did you really cried earlier?” I said worried

He scratches his head.

“It’s just … I can’t find my own place. It turns out I always help others to find theirs, but I can’t even help myself to find one. The worst is when I finally get what others have, just to say I have my own, no one’s interested anymore”

His eyes suddenly welled up with tears.

“Why Prince? Are you hurt? Did somebody hurt you?”

He wiped his tears with the sleeve of his jacket.

“I'm sorry Dara. I think I can't go visit you and Yuki anymore I just can't”

I don't understand his sudden words. I would not see him? not this time that I already have feelings for him.

“W-we can go visit you home. I-I could make you some jasmine tea if-if you want to”

I tried to pat him at the back, but he moved away.

“Dara, don't be kind to me I'm a bad person! The truth is I know Yuki before you thought we found him”

I suddenly took a step back away from him.

I can't believe he fooled me.

I can feel my hands shaking.

I tried my best to collect myself so I can yell and let him explain everything but at that moment I can't say a word.

He already understands the look on my face and tries to explain.

“It's my gift to my first love. I loved her since we were little. She's the only one who recognizes me but not until the time she wants me to be another person. I tried to be that person Dara, the person she loves. Instead, she starts on ignoring me and finally abandoning me when she's the only one I have. I thought I could forget about her, but I met her again. I'm really sorry that I bring you unto my mess.”

I felt pain in my head thinking why someone would fool me like that and pain in my heart knowing he's the one who fooled me.

I was still silent when he blurted my friend’s name.

“It was your friend, Yuri!” he said then cries his heart out.

I tightened my grasp on the dog’s leash as tears also races down my checks.

Prince was so devastated on telling me the truth that he leaves without saying goodbye.

I didn’t realize that Yuki was already barking very loud because I can only hear myself asking to many questions inside my head and one of it was “Why Yuri?”

End of Flashback

 

Hello? Mr. Kwon?” Dara asked on the other line.

A guy trying hard to imitate a girl’s voice teases her.

“To tell your worries again to Jiyong Press 1, To listen to Jiyong’s singing Press 4, To—”

“Quit being so childish,Mr. Kwon—”

“Sshhh not yet finish” Jiyong clears his throat and continued “To scold Jiyong Press 3 but please don’t”

“We’re too old to play Press games Mr. Kwon” Dara rolled her eyes.

“You’re such a kill joy Ms. Park. I was just returning a favor on calling and monitoring me for almost a week”

“You call it a favor? How about removing me as your guardian so that the hospital would stop calling me to work when you don’t go for your check-up schedules? That would be a great favor don’t you think Mr. Kwon?”

“Like I said before, my health condition is not in danger and I don’t have a family anymore `, my parents died a long time ago.”

“Mr. Kwon, Please just go to your check-up schedule tomorrow”

“Aye aye Captain! Can I call you tomorrow? I have this new song I want to show you, it’s better than the last time and—”

“Fine tomorrow it is” Dara said as she massages her temple in gentle circles.

“Thank You Ms. Park, I’ll call you tomorrow” Jiyong said then the dial tone sounds.

“I can’t believe I’ve been calling him for a week” Dara said to herself.

She was about to go upstairs when the phone rang again.

“What now Mr. Kw—” but she paused as she hears the voice of her friend Jane.

 Jane said an urgent news to her.

Dara eyes widened and blurted out, “Why Yuri?”