Chapter 4

All Eyes On Me Now | ATEEZ Hongjoong

The rooftop is dark with only the light at the door, there're empty laundry lines, some withered potted plants, and some scraps on the corner. It's not that high but the breeze is quite refreshing. Hongjoong stand before the railing setting his elbow on it then called his father back in case he still has something to say to him.
 

He hang up after assuring his father not to worry about him. He heave a sigh after sliding in his phone into his pocket. He looked at the other building around, strangely he has just noticed that the buildings are mostly abandoned or unoccupied. The only light illuminating the area are the dim orange street lights found only in the intersection, leaving the other part of the street very dark. It's gonna be a perfect setting for a thriller movie or drama, he thought.

Suddenly the breeze came strong striking the potted plant to the floor, he flinched and the little hairs on his nape stand because of the sudden thud. He looked at the fallen plant on the side but he shrieked at the man at the door. The man is smirking with his head tilted on the side. 

"Sorry if I scared you, I don't intend to."

"Uh it's fine, sorry for screaming at you.." Now the man smile looking more friendly as he approaches Hongjoong.

"What are you doing here?" he asked when he's right beside him. 

"I just made a call with someone." He answered short, he didn't intend to make friends anyway. If the tenants here are weird as Mingi has said, then it's better to keep away from them.

"Ah I haven't introduce myself, I'm Seonghwa, I heard you're staying beside my room now." he said facing Hongjoong with stretched out hand. Hongjoong took a glance at his hand and just told the man his name. 

"I guess you don't like skinship? Or you just don't like people in general?"

"Yeah you're right.. Then I'll be heading down."

"Hongjoong-ssi... Have a good night~" Hongjoong stare at him and just nod before heading to the door. He don't know but he felt so uncomfortable around him, or maybe just the atmosphere there. It's dark now and the place looked much more scary than the day. The fatigue may have control him so he's being so sensitive now. He need to rest, just like what Seonghwa said to him, he hope that he can have a good night.


 

Hongjoong tossed and the small bed. He didn't know that he can't get comfortable in a new place easily; as it's his first experience staying away from his home, he never even stay over at a friend's. He shut his eyes tightly but he keeps opening them time to time. Then he take out his earphone from his bag and plug it on his phone. He play his soft playlist in hope to get into slumber. 

The songs successfully made him drowsy, he's about to take off his buds but then he heard a thud. He opened his eyes and scan the room, probably he misheard because it's completely silent once he put away his phone. Then he shut his eyes and drift to sleep.
 

Hongjoong heard noises from behind the door, like discussing something. "Open the door slowly so we can suffocate him while he's asleep!" the voice sounds urgent.

"But is he asleep yet?"

"He must be asleep now, I heard soft snore from his room!"

The voices stop as Hongjoong got up from his bed. He felt uneasy, it's like the voice are talking about him. He stood his ground waiting for his door to be opened, he grab on his utility knife tightly sliding the blade slowly so it doesn't make a sound. Then he heard a loud thud from the corridor, it sounds like someone kicking on the floor; struggling. He's in panic, should he check what's going on outside?! He took a deep breathe in before letting it out, his hands clammy, sweats formed on his forehead, heart beating fast.

He bring his feet closer to the door, his hand hover above the handle but then he heard a loud banging and he open his eyes abruptly. He looked around his room, it's morning already, he's dreaming, a really disturbing one.

"Yah shut down your ing loud alarm damn!" The banging continued, Mingi is on his door again. Hongjoong quickly turned off his alarm that he usually set at 8. The banging on his door stopped but then the landlord speak up loud enough for you and maybe all the residents to hear. 

"Don't be so loud can you?! I've told you to just leave if you keep on making trouble here didn't I!"

Aware that it's all because of him, Hongjoong unlock his door and step out to the corridor, there he sees Mingi in front of his door facing Wooyoung, but then the other closed doors open and the tenants peek their heads out.

"Sorry to cause a ruckus this early morning.. It's not Mingi's fault, I should've set my alarm on vibrate mode." He nodded at Wooyoung and the other tenants, feeling sorry. 

"Well he should disappear already, he has been disturbing the peace here~" said the man with dimples.

"San.. You don't need to say that.." Seonghwa defended.

"I know you want him out too." The tall guy looked sharply at Seonghwa.

"Aish whatever, it's up to me to stay or leave here, and it's not like I enjoy staying here with some weirdos around." Mingi said before disappearing behind his door slamming it on purpose.

"Really that rough guy has been giving me a headache, tch.." Wooyoung said before leaving the corridor. The other tenants are also back into their room, it left Hongjoong and Seonghwa looking at each other.

"Be sure to be more cautious around the guys here, they're rather fretful sometimes." Seonghwa smiled at him. Then Hongjoong thought maybe the normal one here is only Seonghwa, that Mingi guy is such a pain in the .

Before Seonghwa went back to his room, Hongjoong stopped him. "Seonghwa-ssi, can we talk?" Hongjoong didn't usually care about others, he's too busy taking care of himself, but he felt the urge in getting to know about the things going on in this gosiwon. By the way he talked, he must have been here for quite a while to know the other tenant's name and their characteristics, might help himself to not get on their nerves.