Chapter 6: Breakfast

Aurlux and Noctis

First, the undershirt. A simple plain cotton t-shirt used to cover the body and soak up any sweat. Next, the pants. Tough treated cotton and wool ensured that the olive coloured pants would withstand the elements. A leather belt to keep the pants up, followed on by thick woolen socks. These would keep the feet warm in the winter, plus their thick nature provided an extra degree of protection against any attacks. Followed on by military issued Cavalier Boots, which had metal inserts on the shins and the top of the foot sandwiched between hard leather on the outside, and soft cowskin on the inside. These provide protection against attacks towards the shin or the foot. This was all covered by a waterproof layer of oilskin, to ensure as much waterproofing as possible.
The wax that made the ordinary canvas into waterproof oilskin needed to be applied daily, so among the regular troops necessities was a tin of wax and a brush.
Lastly, a gambeson, essentially a cotton padded jacket stuffed of horse hair or wool, with chain mail at weak points such as the armpit and the neck. The gambeson would usually be worn with a full set of iron armor, but Nikola wasn't allowed too. Lastly, a helmet, but as it impeded his field of vision, he left it in his closet, before picking up his wooden sword and leaving the room.

Nikola gave a big yawn.He had stayed up late thinking about the conversation they had, as welk as listening to Bastione's snores. The mess hall was crowded, as Nikola made his way to the building. It was split into 2 parts, one for junior soldiers and one for senior officers. However, such regulation was loosely enforced among here, with seniors and juniors moving as they pleased to sit together, whether to discuss the upcoming battle or the night they spent in town. 

Sleepiness oozed from every pore of Nikola's body as he lined up to take food. The queue was shorter for the Senior Officers, but the menu was the same. A piece of meat, presumably chicken, together with a thick cut of bread, lumps of potatoe and peas covered in thick gravy. It seemed the term" An Army marches on it's stomach" was true, as the soldiers on duty cooked and served food, punctuated by the occasional barking of the Head Chef.

Grabbing his plate of food and utensils, Nikola searched for a place to sit, before spotting a hand waving vigourously, beckoning him over. He obliged, and sat down at the table with Bastione and Norah.

"Say, *munch munch* ya be dueling against Captain Percius right?"

As Norah munched and spoke at the same time, scattering assorted food bits across the table, Bastione chided her ("No, eat with your mouth close"), and turned to face Nikola.

"Captain Percius is the leader of the squad that Officer Olivia took out to collect you, and is considered to be Officer Elijah's right hand man. He is regarded as the best fighter after Officer Oliva and Elijah, but is it true that you disarmed him in a battle yesterday?"

It seemed news traveled fast in this base. As soon as Bastione said it, the Mess Hall quietened down, faint whispers traded between seat partners. Nikola gave a brief nod, refocusing on the piece of bread on his plate.

"Ne ne, Nikola, did ya know that we are the only 3 under Olivia's direct command? I kinda like my whole freedom to research poison thing, so please win ok!"

Norah said in a cheerful tone, before devouring a thick hubk of bread like a ravenous beast. Where did all that food go? Was she actually a dwarf? Nikola, to fill in the lul in the conversation, was about to ask when he felt acute killing intent directed at him. He almost reached out for the sword at his waist, before remembering that weapons had to be kept outside the mess hall for fear of a fight breaking out.

Now the silents was really deafening. In front of the still chewing Nikola, stood the Officer Elijah as well as the Captain Percius.

"Hueh? Kinda skinny aren't ya, and short too. So we got the beanpole, the shorty and Mr Sunshine all together now huh? Well when I'm done all of you would be out shoveling horse , especially you beanpole."

Nikola looked to his left, Bastione had a smile plastered onto his face. Looking to his right, he could see Norah collasped on the table. Taking it into account, he decided and made his judgement.

"Am I the beanpole?"

Nikola asked while pointing towards himself. Officer Elijah only gave a snort and a haughty laugh.

"Ahahahha, you must be the one clown show, wait was it how it went?"

Halfway through, Elijah broke off into a mutter.

" In that case sir, you are not the clown"

"Oh?"

"but the entire circus."

Nikola beamed as his lady-like features turned into a -eating grin. His words were 100% meant to enrage Officee Elijah and his second, Captain Percius. However, instead of raging like Elijah was, Percius only massaged his shoulder, where Nikola's rapier had ed into just yesterday. Despite that, his arm should no sign of damage, and only a faint white line gave hint to what happened the day before.

"How did it heal so fast?"

Noticing Nikola's attention, he replied with a slightly pained look.

" Officer Olivia healed me with her light magic yesterday. She said she wanted the duel to be fair."

Nikola nodded his head, but inside he was cursing Olivia. Why in Raoth's name would you give your enemy the chance to fight in full condition? He silently screamed at an imaginary voodoo doll of Olivia, pincushioned by hundreds of sewing needles. Just remembering what they had talked about last night gave him the chills.

"Let's have a fair fight."

Nikola grasped Percius's out-stretched hand and shook it. The grip was firm, but not bonecrushing, and Percius walked away to the table where Elijah was. 

Having witnessed the exchange, Norah was still not mindful of her surroundings, and continued mowing down her breakfast. Bastione simply gave a pained smile and said that that was a usual exchange between them.

Putting away their cutlery, Nikola asked Bastione mulitple questions.

" Bastione, could you tell me Percius's fighting style?"

"Hmm? Well he is a kite shield and longsword user, and he likes to make big attacks as he has confidence in the shield, but I am not the most capable person to ask."

Returning the tray, Nikola could not recognise any familiar faces, save for the now collapsed and sleeping Norah, and continued asking Bastione.
" So the duels are held until one is unable to battle?"

"Either that, or they yield or get forced out of the ring. Those are the official rules, and the judge is from a neutral party. Usually the head of the Garrison, Commander Bretrich would rule, but he is currently out, so the judge would likely be the last First Warrent Officer, Officer Proden."

"Alright, thank you, by the way, could I borrow your wooden sword?"