Chapter 9: Spotted

Aurlux and Noctis

Captain Yukon looked over the reports sent by the spy. 12000 moving to recapture Fort Silosa, about 10000 were combat ready, with the rest on supply duty. So a force of 10000, against our 11000 men? But they have the advantage of nearly 2000 cavalry, while we ourselves only have a 1000. We could mount a defensive battle, but we are far out, and the nearest friendly fort is over 3 days journey on foot, and that's not counting the return journey. The Aurlux army would arrive in 2, 3 days if we are lucky. They would be halfway there by now. Yukon pondered this, before asking his subordinate to call officers for a strategic meeting.

Nikola was currently marching through the Medaren Forest. It was thick, but had wide pathways for the army to march through with ease. The shade from the towering oak trees gave a big respite for the weary troops, as they march incessently.

"Alright, break for half an hour."

As the officers and their subordinates relayed the message, Nikola, who had been promoted to Second Warrant Officer, Olivia's second-in-command, told his detachment of 100 men to set their packs down to rest. Soon, the Third Warrant Officers, consisting of Norah, Bastione, and Percius. They had been promoted to form an even chain of command, and the month long training had them accustomed to leading their troops. While the First Officers gathered with Commander Bertrich to discuss upcoming plans among themselves, The four friends? gathered for light talk.

They were discussing this when all of a sudden, a rock flew towards Nikola's head. With a comical *DONK*, it hit his chain mail instead, and Nikola immediately stood up and looked in the general direction of the thrown rock. Hand on rapier, he advanced slowly. Weary soldiers unaccustomed to the march either looked on, or minded their own business as Nikola walked on. He soon arrived at the edge of the path, where the forest met the trampled pathway in a ditch. Looking into the undergrowth, he couldn't spot anything, until the unnatural like rustle of cloth in the forest mixed with the whizzing of something being thrown had Nikola drawing his rapier and cutting the object in two. It was another rock, with a visible gouged line showing the rapid slice made against it. Sheathing it, he cried out.

"VIKTOR, GET OUT NOW!"

A messy haired light purpled haired youth clambered out. Wearing the battle outfit all soldiers were wearing, she, as evidenced by the stretched material, gave a sloppy salute while wearing a Cheshire grin.

"Aw Nikola Daaaaaaaarlin' how did you know it was little ol' meeeee?"

Her voice, crystal clear and childlike, distinctively rolled several words out.

"Only one would use a slingshot to launch stones would be you. Considering that you weren't heard from a while in the orphanage, with the fact of high accuracy in sniping me with the slingshot, and the fact that female soldiers are placed under Norah's command, and that I saw your name under the company records, it would only be you."

Rapidly explaining, he extended out a hand to help Viktor out of the ditch.

"Not fuuuuun, I was hoping thaaat it was becaaaause we shaaare a speciaal connection, you knooow?"

Her loud voice naturally attracted the resting soldier's attention. It was true that they had a connection, having spent most of their childhood together. Though it was enough to be alive in the orphanage, it wasn't enough to live, they reasoned. On their rare off days from field work, they would go into Alrukk city, and head into the richer districts. With Viktor being longsighted, Matthew's social standing allowing him to talk to upper class men and women alike, and Nikola's extreme swiftness and dark magic, the trio would raise havoc upon unsuspecting citizens, at least until they were caught by the soldiers, the Orphanage Matron, Matthew's father or all three at once. That was several years ago tho, and as Matthew needed to fulfil his duties as a noble, the three friends slowly drifted apart.

Indeed, the aforementioned slingshot was in her hands, with a pouch of smooth stones and metal balls. On her back, was a longbow as tall as she was, 1 metre 80 Celches in length, a quiver of arrows on her thigh, and stilettos on the other. Her muscular arms showed off the fact that she could bring the bow to full draw, and the insignia showed that she belonged to the archer division under Third Warrant Officer Norah's lead.

"So, what are you doing in the military."

"Weeelllll, when I heard that you were now a guard doooog for that princess Officer, I thought it would be fuuuuuun to try and steal youuuuu away from her."

Viktor emphazised it, her large chest rubbing against Nikola's arms. But he merely shrugged her off, and ignoring the catcalls and whistles from the resting men and the disgusted gaze of the women, walked at her side.

"I thought you were working at that tavern shop in town?"

"Youuu know, adventures maaaaake a lot of caaash, so I earn a looot working thereee, but the cooonstant haressment droove me off and led meeee baaack into your loooooving embraaace again!"

Walking back, they could see that Olivia had joined the party, and all were focused on the girl next to him.

"Huh? Isn't dat private Langley, what's she doin with ya?"

"Picking up girls is not acceptable in wartime Nikola."

Norah and Bastione were curious of the relationship, but Percius gave him a reminder of the rules and regulations. Only Olivia was not interested at all, rather, she seemed to be purposely ignoring them.

"Officer Olivia? Is something wrong?"

Percius raised concern, but Olivia only snapped back.

"Dating is strictly forbidden by the rules, so watch yourself Third Officer Nikola."

Nikola could now clearly see that Olivia was pouting, which was rather cute. Still, he, after properly distancing himself from Viktor, sat down for a drink of water. It was precisely at this point when he heard

"Alright! All personel move out!"

and sighed. It seemed that this was a long march.