Chapter 2: Brawl

Aurlux and Noctis

Nikola simply let his blade drop into the dirt at his feet, and set dirt flying into the Captain's face.


The Captain instinctively protected his eyes by shielding his face with his shield. Taking advantage of this, Nikola immediately stabbed his rapier towards his foot. He needed him dead, once out of the way, he could steal the carriage and escape.

As expected of a captain, he still had sense of mind to parry the with his long sword. Nikola clucked his tongue at that annoyance, before stepping out of the Captain's longsword range.

"Quite strong aren't you, to wield a shield with that long sword, gonna cower behind it now?"

"Better than that black toothpick of your's boy!"

Trading insults and blows alike, it mainly consisted of the Captain making blows and Nikola trying to exploit the gaps made by him attacking, but that annoying shield kept protecting the Captain. The shape and slope of the shield meant his would rarely land properly, and even if it did it only dented it a bit.

"Gonna have to end this quickly."He muttered, waiting for the Captain to attack. The archers were surrounding them, like taut bowstrings. The only reason why they have not shot yet was because of the Captain in the way.


Opening his guard by relaxing his posture, faking his exhaustion and moving his sword to the right, the Captain took the bait, and came in with a full powered swing, meant to cleave Nikola's torso. 

He knew Nikola was more exhausted than he was, and it was the correct move.

That is, if he didn't notice the other sword strapped to Nikola's right hip.

A ring of metal, as clear as crystal, sang out as he unsheathed another rapier. It was identical to the rapier in his right hand, and connected with the captain's overhead blow.

He parried the longsword with the rapier in his left, absorbing the blow and sinking onto his knees.He slided in for a riposte, right hand striking the longsword's hilt, disarming the Captain, right shoulder and leg blending into a shoulder charge into his shield. It didn't knock him over, but gave enough room for Nikola swap footing and stab his exposed right armpit with his left rapier. The black blade tore through his chain mail with ease, puncturing the links and going through the other side.

Roaring in pain, the Captain charged forward, trying to pin down the slender youth, but stopped when he felt the right rapier pressed against the bottom of his helmet, almost about to kill himself with by stabbing into the bottom of his mouth, and into his head. At this point, the carriage door opened with a "thunk."

The oddest sight would be the boots on her. They were military issue, made of cloth that had been waterproofed. With tough leather soles, iron plating and a soft lining inside, it rose upwards, covering the girl's shins. It was cavalier boots made for cavarlry, with metal shin guards incorporated into the boots to add protection. Next was the dark green pants, made of rough cotton, outlining her slim legs. It was held up by a leather belt, from which small bags hung from it. Tucked into the pants was a similarly colored shirt with collars and short sleeves, which were pushed out slightly by her chest. The right shoulder had the insignia of the Aurlux Military Crest, with 2 arrows pointing upwards, denoting her as a First Warrant Officer. Lastly, a cap with the insignia embossed in bronze was casually put on her head, barely covering her almost gold-like hair. She looked like a doll, with white clear skin and golden eyes, cruelly shoved into a ceremonial military outfit a little too big for her. Even so, she drew eye level with Nikola, after dismounting the carriage.


"All men weapons down, you, the boy with the rapiers, you too."


What gave her the authority however, was the sword hanging at her side. The Aurlux Family had many swords in their collection, but 7 swords were the most famous. Out of these 7, number 4, "Ignis Magnus", nicknamed The Sword of Fire was sheathed at her side. Even its aura of power could be felt within its sheath, which was ornately decorated in gold and rare jewels. It was longer than the rapier, at 130 Celch, with a broader blade and less pointed ing end. It was like a typical longsword, except more decorated. 

The presence of The Sword of Fire meant that the royal family had recognized this particular Warrant Officer, yet the matter of rank meant that no such officer should have this rare weapon.

The mystery grows, Nikola thought to himself, as he stepped away from the bleeding captain, shaking the blood off the blade and sheathing both rapiers. The Officer girl drew closer, standing next to the Captain and out of melee range of Nikola.


"You, you would be Nikola Tiembrid no? Good, get in the carriage. Alright, we are heading back to the garrison. Kendrick, bring Percius's to the garrison's med-bay, rapier wounds are small, Raoth knows he could use the pain to toughen up. Alright, all men form ranks, Captains lead forces back to the garrison."


One of the archers, presumably Kendrick, propped up the Captain Percius and began walking east, towards the garrison. Soldier #1, #2, #3, #4, who had retreated back towards the carriage away from the duel, stood at 4 corners of the carriage. Another archer mounted the carriage, holding the reins.


"Wait, ma'm, you intent to climb into the carriage with him? It's too dangerous, please reconsider, that man might stab you at any moment!"

Captain Percius yelled out a warning while being supported by the archer, but was dismissed by a shake of her head. She climbed back up into the carriage, before motioning for Nikola to follow. Before Nikola realised, he had already climbed into the carriage and settled onto the hard bench. 

How scary.