Prologue 1

Aurlux and Noctis

The heavy rain created a heavy *thrum* on the dirt floor. It was in the early morning, where it was not sunrise, and it was a new moon this night. It was the perfect time for Nikola, where he and his 5 members moved swiftly under the cover of night. At this time, the human mind would be deep in sleep, and the yawning sentries on watch duty were perfect testament to this. To pass the time, the roving patrols and standing sentries would strike up conversations among themselves. Holding perfectly still, Nikola paused, before sneaking through a gap in the patrols.

Soon after, five wraiths clad in midnight blue to blend with the night sky followed swiftly. A whispered conversation, and the six phantoms broke up into teams of 2, each heading in their own directions. They silently evaded roving patrols, and dispatched any in their way with the slender stiletto they held at hand, and hid the bodies. Nikola, with another by his side, headed into an area with increasingly heavy security.

The two soon arrived at their destination. A group of tents, guarded by soldiers in heavy plate armor and halberds. There were frequent roving patrols around the circular perimeter of the tents, with sentries posted every 5 meters, in eyesight of one another. Suddenly, a *Whoosh* of flame erupted from the west side of the encampment. The soldiers looked towards the commotion, but strict orders from above dictated that they could not move and help the other off duty soldiers put out the rapidly growing blaze that consumed the western part of the soldiers tents. 

"Shouldn't there be an alarm for an enemy attack, sir?"

"Nah, orders are to guard here, besides, the other sentries ought to be doing their jobs, now back to it."

The captain, as indicated by the plume on his helmet,  continued his patrol, as the soldier snapped a textbook salute.

The momentary lull in the security gave enough time for the two to sneak in, barely avoiding the next passing patrol. But the darkness, mixed with the falling rain and the lack of the moon, concealed their presence. Moving swiftly, the two split into their individual duties, and Nikola ended up in front of a luxurious tent. 

Percius and Bastione ought to have retreated by now, after causing the fire, only Baxter, Mariah, and Viktor should be here now. Nikola thought to himself as he unsheathed the stiletto strapped to his thigh. He reminisced about the past, and wondered what twist of fate led him to sneak deep into enemy territory.