Chapter 5: Doorcrasher and memories

Aurlux and Noctis

*CRASH*

The sound of a heavily armored boot shoved to open a door made a sound like no other, but instead of opening the door, what happened was instead the boot cleanly making its way through the door, getting it promptly stuck.

"Raoth damn it, how the .....argh..you...stupid....OUCH, BLOODY HELL!"

With a tug, the boot went it with as much force as it entered, making the man fall over on to his , cursing out in pain. This time, he chose open the door instead, turning the doorknob before closing it behind him.

Norah, silently giggled at this fiasco, while Nikola stood to attention. Olivia only continued sipping at her tea. The man marched up to the desk, noticed Norah's and Nikola's salute, returned it and then slammed his hands on the table.

"Oya oya? Most men prefer to use their fists to knock instead of their foot, and now you ruined a perfectly good door. However, I must commend you, most soldiers don't think of putting on a one man clown show for their superiors."

Sheesh... cold and as sharp as ever... Nikola muttered to himself as he shifted his gaze around the room. He noticed that the room doubled as the sleeping area, with a cot and a messy closet tucked away in right corner of the room. Next to the bedpost was the "Ignis Magnus", within arm's reach should Olivia needed to use it.

"So you took a platoon of men, who were on ceremonial services training, to some orphanage to capture some guy, and my men hurt, equipment needing repaired, I do hope you can explain yourself."

"Calm down First Warrant Officer Elijah, non of the men died no? I think that was an acceptable outcome."

"ACCEPTABLE MY FOOT. This is a grave violation of Military rule, I'll strip you of your rank here and now!"

He can't do that, right? Nikola whispered to Norah. They were both First Warrant Officers, and hence the most Elijah could do was order an investigation into Olivia. No, but the military encourages duels to protect one's honor. Norah tiptoed and whispered into Nikola's ear. Indeed, that seemed to be the case.

"First Warrant Officer Olivia, I challenge you to a duel!"

"I refuse."

"You cannot!"

"Well you see, a warrant officer is promoted by their ability to lead and grow others yes?"

"Yeah...."

"Since I have, as you said, endangered your men, you clearly put a lot of faith into your men."

"Yes, I would entrust my back to them!"

"So why not have our men fight in place of us?"

"Huh?!"

"Or do you think they are untrustworthy?"

"ugh..."

Beads of sweat could now be seen rolling down Officer Elijah's vast forehead. There's no way he accepts this right? Nikola wondered. But like his body implied, the muscle-brained idiot laughed and accepted it.

"HAH, I accept, most of the men are under my command anyway, the only one under your jurisdiction is that small twerp there."

"Anyway, you are challenging me right?"

"YES!"

"Alright, the duel would take place tomorrow at midday chime, format would be on knockouts or yielding, no actual killing, subordinates would take our place, wooden weaponry with gambesons."

"Pah, sure."

"And magic is allowed"

"Hah, Magic is for weak nobles, all a man need is a good iron sword in his hands!"

"So magic is allowed."

"Sure."

"The best of luck then, though I don't need it"

The two shook hands civilly, rather surprising, and Elijah stepped over the remains of the door, leaving the room.

"Just a guess?"

"Yes?"

"I would be fighting."

Olivia nodded her head, and reached out for a refill of her tea. But it had turned lukewarm by this time, so she asked Norah to reheat the teapot and get somebody to clean up the door.

"Well then, let's start our private conversation, shall we?"

She gave a sadistic smirk.

It had been a long time since they had met. About 10 years, if Nikola remembered correctly. 'Time changes everything, and only nothing is unchanged'. The old proverb the old man used to say came back unexpectedly, almost as if his father was beckoning him to remember.

"You've.... changed."

"I had to grow up, all adults are merely children forced to grow up anyway."

Sharper, keener, swifter. That was what Nikola would use to describe Olivia compared to her Noble past. She had indeed grown up, looking more fragile yet infinately stronger, like a sword forged by a Dwarven Blacksmith from Vulcan Mountain. She lost the childlike innocence, and traded it for the cold, calculating mind of a schemer. 

"Well Nikola, we met again, after this battle, you'll be promoted to Third Warrant Officer, so do work hard."

"What are you doing in the military."

"You may leave now."

"Weren't you suppose to have a normal life in the capital? Instead of coming here? To the frontlines of the war?"

She nursed the now lukewarm teacup, and said in a low tone.

"I decided to take control of my life, and to start, I'll add strong allies and take military achivements to win the succession rights from my two thickheaded brothers who are unable to see that the war with the Morcass Empire is about to happen."

Nikola stood still, waiting for her to go on. After a while, the lights out bell tolled, and he turned to leave.

"And to prevent what happened to you from ever happening again"

A soft whisper from rose-like lips.

But the ears were far gone now.