The Masked Stranger

Rise Of The Phoenix
6
THE MASKED STRANGER
 
 

TORONTO, CANADA, 11:30AM

It seems that every time something happened in their life it seems to begin in an alleyway.

“So, what do we do now?” Haechan ran his hand through his hair and ruffled them a bit.

Yuta smiled, “Like the old time. We gather everyone.”

Haechan leaned closer and stood next to Yuta, “To the world.”

Mark smiled, “Here is NCT!” They all said in unison.

 

*********

 

Their smiles were suddenly interrupted with a knock on the door and everyone froze, they all got on their guards. Yuta and Haechan had their pocket knives readied in their hands.

“ did they found out that we’re here?” Yuta cursed under his breath as he was down on the floor and not letting his gaze away from the door. 

“That’s so fast though.” Haechan replied as Mark and him were crouched down on the floor and slowly made their way to the door. “But I don't think they will just knock like that though. Let’s just look through the peephole.”

Mark nodded and peered through it and cursed lowly under his breath, “ I completely forgot that my peephole was broken.”

“Wait, let’s just slowly open the door and we will see after…” Yuta adviced and they all nodded in agreement. Haechan hid behind the door and Yuta went on the other side. They nodded at Mark who slowly opened the door. 

 

As soon as it opened both Yuta and Haechan aimed their weapons at the person who immediately put his hands in the air in shock,

“Yuta? Haechan?” Someone had exclaimed and they both lowered their weapons as the shock could be read on all of their faces including Mark.

“Jaehyun?!” The three men were caught off guard that they jumped back.

 

“Well I was expecting Mark to be here but good think both of you are here as well,” Jaehyun said while chuckling a bit. The three men just nodded and Jaehyun entered the apartment and closed the door behind him.

“What are you doing here Jaehyun?” Mark asked him finally.

“Well I supposed just like Yuta and Haechan here I got the idea of gathering everyone.”

Yuta slowly nodded as well, “How did you know he was here?”

 

Jaehyun still had a small smile on the corner on his lips thus making his cute dimple appear on his face, “I’m sorry I knew I had to take more care of the young ones.” He said while ruffling Haechan’s hair and the younger just moved his hand away making the eldest to laugh gently.

“Come on I’m not a child anymore.”

“Yes whatever you say,” He teased but then his facial expression changed to serious, “I believe you know that SM is planning to put the death of Taeyong on us.”

They all nodded in agreement, “We need to do something about it. Even if we are all in different countries all over the world, they would still find a way to defame us.”

Mark nodded, “I recently found that out, so what plan do we have now?”

“We have no choice but to go back to Seoul.” 

This made everyone go quiet but then Yuta scoffed and raised his eyebrow at him, “Are you crazy? You want us to go back there? Back where those people took everything from us? Even if we do go there, what do we do there? We would be just easy targets.”

“Yes but we cannot sit there and do nothing. In addition, we have an insider who is gathering all the proofs that are needed against SM.”

Haechan frowned, “Wait, what do you mean?”

“Well someone whom we all knew before is helping us to gather those information plus no one would be doubting him anyway…”

The three people looked at him in confusion. Jaehyun was looking away but then he raised his gaze and he looked at Yuta, “It’s Hansol….” 

Once again the silence was dreadful.

BANGKOK, THAILAND, 11:00PM

After that sudden revelation, Ten snapped and made his way out of the room. During those years, they didn't only lose Taeyong, they had also lost YangYang. They knew about Taeyong’s death being a set up murder, they wanted to know and find about the truth.

After one year, they had gathered some evidence although it wasn't enough, they at least had something. 

They had built up a case although it was weak they still wanted to give it a try but it all crumbled down when YangYang got kidnapped, they didn't know what to do. They received a letter and a picture of him saying that they would release him if they destroyed all the evidence.

They destroyed everything without any hesitation because they didn't want to lose one of their own.

Then they received a video which destroyed each and everyone of them more, in this video they could see YangYang tied up to a chair. He was exhausted and had bruises all over his face. He seemed to be too numb to even cry, his eyes were emotionless. 

Then next to him on the screen, he appeared next to YangYang, it was Heechul who was smiling as if proud of the demise that the younger was going through. Although his eyes were numb, they all could see clearly that behind those soulless tired eyes that he was terrified and in unbearable pain.

Heechul then laughed, “I did tell you right? Well since you have no proof anymore….I supposed we should keep our promise but…..” Everyone just froze, their eyes widened and their heart was hammering hard inside their ribcage, “Keep this as a reminder to not mess with us ever again.”

Their hearts became uneasy as the fear paralyzed them as they watched Heechul taking out a knife and stabbing straight at YangYang, a scream of pain was heard before his what seems to be now a lifeless body just went limp.

Heechul then took the camera and smiled, “And for you to hopefully get it straight, we will discard his body somewhere you won't be able to find it.” 

Then just like the video, their heart went dark. 

This was the last time they tried anything to go against SM.

 

*********

 

Lucas closed his eyes and let out a deep sigh as he thought of this video and tried to control his emotions of that night. He had lost two of his good friends, he didn't want to lose anyone else. He felt a hand on his shoulder and he turned around to look at Alex, “It’s going to be fine.”

Lucas just nodded, he sat back on the chair and took off a cigarette before lightning and inhaling it, he exhaled and closed his eyes as the smoke got out. He wasn't an idiot, he had let Ten go as he obviously had set someone to follow after him from a distance and to keep an eye for him. 

A knock interrupted his thoughts and he frowned and Alex opened it to reveal a man in a suit and standing in a straight up posture, Alex frowned, “What are you doing here? I thought you were sent to guard Mr Ten Lee.”

The bodyguard shook his head, “Sir I just arrived here…”

The cigarettes between Lucas' fingers fell on the ground, he was in a complete state of panic as he was weighed down by the dread of the fearsome realization that the person who was watching Ten from a distance was not one of their own.

Lucas cursed under his breath and immediately stood up as he rushed past Alex and the man.

BANGKOK, THAILAND, 11:15PM

Ten walked with fury spiking throughout his whole being on the lonely streets of Bangkok, he was now angry, he was furious at how Lucas just appeared out of nowhere and behaved as if the recent years were just nothing.

Ten scoffed, Lucas was still unbelievable. 

Where was the big idiot of a Giant baby?

He came back acting all cool and mighty, now Ten was hating him even more. No calls and no appearance for years and he came back just like that. Ten just couldn't believe it, well the good thing he did was that now he didn't need to work at that horrible place anymore.

He let out a sigh of relief as he made his way towards his apartment. 

 As he was walking, he could hear footsteps behind him.

He groaned in annoyance, “Listen Lucas I’m not in the mood -”

But when he turned around, he froze. That wasn't Lucas who was behind him but someone else. Ten frowned, there seemed to be an eerie feeling around that guy which sent chills over Ten’s body.

The Thai boy didn't know what to say and the stranger just smiled at him, “Ten Lee I presumed.”

Ten kept his neutral face, “Well you followed me so I think you should know…” 

The man laughed a bit, but he didn't do any movement, Ten was carefully watching his every move. The man just smiled at him, “Still with the last word just like YangYang.”

Ten frowned, “What are you talking about?” 

The man then slowly started to approach him and Ten kept his gaze at him while slowly backing away, “Just as hard to kidnap like with YangYang I would say.”

Ten froze, he immediately understood what that man was talking about.

But he didn't even have time to think that the man had already pulled out a gun at him, “But I think a bullet straight at your head would be easier.”

He Shot. 

 

*********

 

But when Ten looked down at himself, he was still fine. His heart was pounding like crazy and he didn't understand what had happened but then he heard the stranger screaming in pain as he fell on the ground holding his arm who was bleeding now. 

Ten was paralyzed as fear took upon his whole being and watched everything with wide eyes and confusion lingering in them.

But then he saw some movements from the shadows behind the man, Ten looked closely and he saw a figure emerging from the darkness, he was quite tall. He was holding a gun in one of his hands.

The man on the ground started to move and groaned in pain, the man from the darkness took immediate actions. With an inhumane speed, he reached just right in front of Ten, a few kilometers away from the dancer’s face.

It was in the spasm of a few seconds, but for Ten it was like a movie being shot in slow motion.  

 

The man was wearing a mask, it covered his whole face. It was a white mask but on the left eye of the mask there was a red line, like a slash on it but then at the end there was a sort of cross, the red slash along went over his nose.

But the lines were also glowing like there was red LED in them. 

But what caught Ten’s attention was that through the slit of where his eyes were. His eyes were the most beautiful eyes he had ever seen. Under the moonlight and the light that was coming from the lamppost above them,

Ten saw a beautiful violet color that pierce through his whole being. 

The masked man grabbed him by his wrist and dragged him away from the man laying on the ground. 

 

*********

 

They just ran, making a lot of turns so as to not be found by the guy who wanted to kill Ten. After running for God knows how long, they finally stopped at what hopefully would be their safe haven. The man let go of Ten’s hand, and he placed his hand on his knees and was panting, “As if my life wasn't pathetic enough, now there’s someone trying to kill me.”

Ten then stood up straight and looked at the masked man who was silently observing him, “Thanks for helping me out there.” But then he just sighed and rolled his eyes as he thought of something, “Are you one Lucas’ bodyguard?”

The masked man shook his head.

Ten scoffed, obviously not believing that blatant lie, “Well tell your boss that I wont be needing any protection. I can deal with this on my own.” He stated before making his way away from that stranger obviously freaked out by the fact that he was wearing a mask. 

But as he was making his way to his apartment, he heard the footsteps behind him and he turned around to see him walking behind him, “What are you doing?” 

“It’s dangerous for you.”

His voice wasn't one of a human, it seems there seems to be some kind of device inside that mask that was making his voice sound half human and half robotic. But the tone was as clear as day, it was serious and commanding but at the same time not menacing.

Ten let out a sigh and held his fingers to his temple, “Listen, thank you for helping me out but I don't even know who you are.”

“You can call me Phoenix.” 

Ten let another sigh escape his lips, “Listen Phoenix, just leave me alone I don't have enough energy to deal with all this right now.” 

He stated completely exhausted as he turned around making his way to his apartment but the pair of footsteps still followed after him. He groaned annoyed and turned around, throwing a glare at the man, “Why are you following me?” 

“To get you home safely.” 

Ten scoffed, “Fine but can I at least see who I am even talking to right now?”

“You don't want to see what’s behind that mask.” This time, his statement seemed to send cold shivers down Ten’s bone, his voice sounded dangerous, as if whatever was behind this mask would be haunting him even in his darkest nightmare, it even made Ten to flinch unintentionally but he quickly regained his composure. 

“You can't just follow someone like that to their home!” Ten exclaimed. 

“If you don't want to get killed then let me do what I have to do.”

 

*********

 

“Fine!” Ten exclaimed in anger as he made his way to his apartment, even if he wanted to make him go away. How could he? He just saw him shooting someone like it was nothing.

As Ten was angrily making his way towards his apartment, his phone started to ring. He picked it up, “Oh hey Sera, how’re you doing?” His anger and annoyance slowly dissipated as he talked with her best friend of years.

“You’re waiting for me at my apartment? That’s great I might have a visitor as well. Alright see you.” 

Ten hung up and sighed, he turned to look at the stranger, although he was wearing a mask, Ten could clearly see that the man was staring at him. 

They reached Ten’s apartment building, in the lobby, there was a red haired woman waiting for them. She was wearing some jeans along with a white shirt along with a black leather jacket. She was wearing a mask that covered half of her face.

Her eyes creased as she was obviously smiling when she saw Ten, she immediately rushed to him and engulfed the Thai boy into a hug. 

“I miss you so much Ten.” Sera hugged her harder while smiling widely.

Ten chuckled while hugging her back, “I had missed you too Sera.” 

 

Kim Sera and Ten had been best friends when Ten was a trainee back in SM.

Sera was a staff member at SM Entertainment. When Ten and the other WayV members were being mistreated by SM making them starve to the worst point, she was the one who was secretly bringing them some food and giving them courage. When some of them were thinking that everything was in vain and that they would never make it, she was there to cheer them up.

She had never given up on them, when they had debuted, they were quite busy but whenever they were free, they would have time to hang around each other. Sera was mainly close with Ten and YangYang, she had been there for them and had never given up on them.

When this whole thing with YangYang had happened, she felt her blood run cold and her fury spiked up. She went straight at SM and punched the hell out of that sponsor. 

Sera smiled and let go of him but her eyes caught the masked man behind Ten and she flinched, “Is that your visitor?”

Ten just nodded, “Don't ask.”

Sera sat down at Ten’s apartment while the stranger was just standing up and seemed to be staring around while avoiding eye contact with both of them. Ten seems to be just done with everything and Sera being the overprotective friend that she has always been, she was suspiciously looking at the stranger from head to toe, squinting her eyes to analyze him. 

 

*********

 

“Now Ten! Could you explain to me why there is a man wearing a quite unique mask following you around?” Sera questioned while still looking attentively at the man. 

Ten just sighed as he was in the kitchen just pouring some wine for all three of them, “It’s Lucas who sent him apparently.”

Sera nearly fell off the couch as she heard a name which she hadn't heard of for years and to hear Ten saying the name of his ex so casually like that must mean that his anger was slowly piling up inside him. Ten then started to tell the tale of what happened while obviously leaving out the details of their steamy make out session.

Sera was in shock and just shook her head while taking a sip of her wine, “Life can really surprise us. And what will you do about it?”

Ten just scoffed while taking his seat next to Sera, “There is nothing to do I am just exhausted and plus…”

He glared at the mask man, “Could you please just sit down and not sit there like a creep and explain to me why my life is apparently in danger.”

The masked man just sat down, “They’re going to put the death of Lee Taeyong on NCT but they want to kill them first and place it as their guilt that made them kill themselves.”

His half human and half robotic voice spoke once again in a serious tone before he remained quiet. 

Ten remained quiet but then he scoffed, “So that’s why Lucas suddenly appeared like that.”

 

**********

 

“Well.” Sera cleared , “I don't want to ruin the mood but your shirt is still bloody.” The girl then pointed at the guy shirt.

The masked man then just looked at it and Sera just sighed, “I supposed since he is a mute I would give him a change of clothing.”

Ten just nodded, like he was sent by Lucas so he somehow trusted this weird masked guy. 

Sera knew where to found his clothing, the guy then just followed Sera to Ten’s bedroom. She then walked to his wardrobe and rummaged through it and found a white button-up shirt. She threw it at the guy who caught it immediately, “You can wear this.”

He nodded and without any shame or hesitation he just took off his shirt which surprised Sera and she was so shocked that she froze on her spot.

Her face immediately flushed completely red as she felt her face getting heat up.

In that moment, she could clearly see that his body was what she could describe as sculpted in the pond of Aphrodite by the Greek God themselves because although he was skinny, he was quite tall and well built.

His abdominal muscles were no jokes, the sinful thoughts of her hands wandering over his godsend body and touching and caressing every corner of it but also not to forget that the hot masked stranger had broad shoulders. 

Sera was staring with wide eyes, the man looked up and she immediately turned around, her face still burning red from the embarrassment of being discovered.

She just cleared with her back still turned towards the stranger, “Listen I know Ten and Lucas had a past and he can be quite unbearable since Lucas sent you to protect him but he is just hurt by this whole thing.

Seeing Lucas….” Sera's voice trailed, “Had made him remember some painful memories. But thank you for still watching over him.” 

Sera was quiet but she could feel that the man’s presence was much nearer, his voice was in fact that it was really low, she still could hear him, “I was sent to protect him so I would do anything for that.”

 

But then he came closer to her ear, she could feel his hot breathing hitting her sensitive ear which sent shivers down her spine, “Moreover, be more subtle when you stare at someone.”

Those words left his lips followed by a slight mocking scoff.

 

Back when we first kissed it felt like

every star above our heads aligned

 

Every little piece fell into place and

every single moment made us feel alive

 

Never used to be so complicated

No in between just black and white

 

When everything turns to grey

I still see you

 

When the cold won't go away

I can still feel you

 

Even when the sky is falling

and I'm hanging on by a thread

I'm standing on the edge of nothing

 

But I know it's not broken

I know it's not broken yet

 

As usual Sera finished her performance with the loud cheers of people in the club adorning her with love and lust, she just found it amusing, they were in a club after all. She just gave them a big smile and waved at the crowd, “Thank you for today guys! See you next week.” She winked playfully at the crowd before leaving backstage.

As soon as she arrived backstage, her smile dropped and her eyes became like how they were usually, her eyes became blank and lifeless as she sunk down on her chair. She weakly raised her hand, when no one looked at her, her whole body felt weak and exhausted. She took the water bottle that was on her table and she sipped some of the water. 

After Sera had left Ten’s place and after having met that masked stranger, the painful memories of what had happened years ago flowed into her mind as a single tear made its way from the eye down her chin and dropped soundlessly on the floor. 

 

There wasn't a single day that went by that her mind doesn't wander on the happiest years of her life, the happy life she had with WayV members, it felt like a family but that got taken harshly away from her. 

It had been years and she received no news from Winwin, Hendery, Xiaojun and even Kun. The last time she heard about these three was that they went back to their home country but as much as she tried to contact them, no response. As for Lucas, until today, there was no news about him, he had simply vanished into thin air. 

The only person Sera had managed to get into contact with was Ten and she decided to settle down in Thailand just to be around him, she didn't want to lose anyone and especially not her best friend. She lost Yangyang already and she wasn't ready to lose another one, she just hoped that Winwin, Hendery, Xiaojun and Kun were safe wherever they were.

 

She took her bag and just wanted to call it a night. 

She made her way towards the back door and opened it. Sera made her way outside into the silence of the night. 

 

She made her way through the silent alleyway until some sounds started to come to her ear. Sera frowned, it sounded like screams and as if someone was getting beat up. But as if on commands, her legs worked faster than her mind in that moment and she made a dead run towards the sound and then hid behind a dumpster. 

She peeked through her hiding spot and that’s when she saw it, she gritted her teeth and just like she expected, there were some thugs dressed in all black were hitting a guy that was laying on the floor. Sera felt her blood run cold as she noticed that those thugs were hitting a kid who looked to be around 12years old. 

Her fury spiked and she stood up, “What the hell do you think you’re doing?” 

Her yelling caused the three guys to look at her, “Mind your own business.”

Sera decided it was the right moment to finally use her years of fighting skills. She made a rush for it and kicked the guy straight in the face before immediately dropping to the floor and kicked the other two on their legs which made them to stumble and fall down.

She took this opportunity to grab the child into her arms and to run for it, she then let go of the child making sure that he was the one that was running first. But then, she felt a harsh pain on her head then everything went black. 

 

**********

 

Sera then groaned and started to slowly wake up but instead of feeling the cold harsh floor of the alleyway, she felt the soft and warm feeling of a blanket. Her eyes slowly started to open and she blinked multiple times, adjusting herself to the light, “I’m not dead yet?”

“Apparently not.” 

She slightly turned her head and to her surprise she noticed it was the masked stranger, she frowned, “Were you not supposed to be with Ten? What if someone attacked him?”

Although with the resonating pain on the back of her head, she tried to stand up but the guy immediately grabbed onto her hand and pushed her back onto the bed, “You’re too injured to move. As for your friend he is safe, no need to worry.” 

Sera just groaned, “Well can I at least get some water.” She coughed slightly and scratched with a wincing expression on her face, “My throat feels really dry.” The guy nodded and made his way towards a table, he took what seemed to be hot milk and poured some honey into the milk and gave it to her before going back to standing straight like a statue, “Thank you.” 

“The milk with honey will help your throat to feel better.”

Sera slowly nodded and drank the milk, the sweetness of the drink made her feel warm and she felt better and she looked back at the guy, “Since Ten is trusting his life to you. Shouldn't you show us your identity?”

“I don't think you want to see what’s inside.” His voice still slightly robotic and devoid of any emotions, “Also that was quite stupid to just pick a fight with thugs like this even if it was to help someone, you’re a girl afterall.”

Sera stopped drinking and placed the glass on the small table next to her bed, “Listen here. You know nothing of me so don't talk as if you know. They were beating this poor kid and you think I’d let that happen.”

“That was none of your business.” 

Once again there were no emotions that could be sensed in his robotic voice which made Sera to grit her teeth, “Look I appreciate your help but it is my business when I see any person weaker than others getting hit. Moreover….” Sera let a smirk play on her lips as she looked back at the man with a defiant look, “Saving me was also none of your business but still you did.”

“Saving those who are weaker than me is what I do.”

Sera could feel that although she couldn't see his face, she bet that he was smirking underneath that mask. She just rolled her eyes, there was deep fury inside of her and she tried to control her anger, “Anyway where is Ten? Is he safe? Is he here?”

“Is he your brother? You seemed to really care about him.”

Sera lost it and tried to get away, “He’s like the only family I have left I cannot lose anyone again.”

But the man stopped her, "I think you should stop and stay here.” He then held her down as she still tried to get away from him. His voice became cold and almost blood chilling, “You would just be asking for death if you go.”

“I don't care.”

The man scoffed and brought his hand over her neck, he tapped her neck with his thumb as his hand was wrapped around her neck as he leaned closer to whisper into her ear, “You’re now into this mess so you better be a good girl and listen.”

Sera glared at him but was too tired to get his hand off her neck although he wasn't applying any pressure. Sera could still feel his hot breath tickle her ear, the calm cold yet emotionless voice was back again, “If you want to die so badly then I will myself put a bullet through you head so stay still.”  

He let go of her neck and backed away as the girl calmed down.

 

Her tears finally broke the dam and the hot tears started to flow over her cheeks and she wiped them away, “I was born and raised in an orphanage and when I met Ten and his friends it felt like I had a family of my own and I would do anything to protect them but I couldn't protect one of them.”

“Yangyang I’m so sorry I should’ve protected you.” She let her tears flow more as she uttered those words in a whisper.

 

**********

 

The masked guy just scoffed, as if his robotic voice couldn't be the one thing that was emotionless but his attitude towards a crying girl had to be so cold. She just shook her head, “If you allow me then I think I will get some rest.” 

She pulled the covers onto her body and turned her back towards the man and she still could feel his cold lifeless eyes on her back. She was too tired from the pain of her injuries and of the memories of her lost family. She had never told anyone about her being an orphan, for her it was too painful and she was happy with her new family only for it to be snatched away from her. She let her eyes closed as the tears continued on flowing as she felt herself being carried away into dreamland.

 

The masked man looked at her tired sleeping figure on the bed, she looked so peaceful yet full of pain. 

The masked man made his way to the bathroom and closed the door behind him. He let out an exhale as he removed the mask off his face, he ruffled his black hair. He opened the tap and let his long slender fingers get under the cold waters, “What a ing idiot Yangyang was to not see how much she was in love with you.” He couldn't help but to chuckle.  

He splashed some of the water on his face, he looked at his reflection. The droplets of water started to fall off his hair and a smirk appeared on his features as he pushed his hair back.

“Yangyang is dead Sera and there is nothing you can do to ever bring him back, I killed him myself."

 
 
AUTHOR'S NOTE: