The Fifth and Sixth

Leaving to Escape the Pain

 

Eli and Dongho finished unpacking all of their things before going to their little sister’s room to see how she was doing. They were not surprised to find that she was playing with the few toys she had unpacked rather than unpacking the rest of things. Deciding that it wasn’t worth it to try to convince her that she needed to stop playing and put her things away so they did it for her. All of them were going to be attending school starting tomorrow so their parents wanted the unpacking to be done before then. The rest of the day went by normally as their parents were at work for most of it.

 

The next day dawned early for Dongho and Eli as they struggled to climb out of bed and get ready for school. It was a bit of a surprise that their parents weren’t up to wish them luck on their first day at a new school but the two shrugged it off and walked to their school. It was pretty normal for a first day with them getting introduced and having people whisper about them. When they arrived neither of their parents and there was a note on fridge asking them to pick their sister up, which they immediately did before doing their homework.

 

Their days fell into this pattern and since their parents would occasionally come home late Eli learned how to cook dinner for them. Eli and Dongho had noticed a change in their parents behavior but decided that it was probably just because of moving and having to adjust to their new home. However as time went one they began to worry because their behavior didn’t change and the two decided to confront them.

 

“Mom, Dad, is everything okay? You two don’t seem the same since we’ve moved and here and we’re worried about you two.” Eli told them after their sister went to bed.

 

“We’re fine. There’s nothing to worry about so go and do your homework.” Their father said in a cold voice.

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Just do as I say Ellison.”

 

The two boys were shocked because their father rarely ever used Eli’s full name unless he was angry. They went back to their room and tried to process what had happened before deciding that there was nothing they could do without getting yelled at. They hoped that it would all roll over and things would go back to normal soon.

 

However that was not to be and as the weeks went on the rift between their parents seemed to grow. They tried to keep things as normal as possible so their little sister wouldn’t pick up on it, but both of them were getting more nervous. If they did something wrong it would set their father off and make him yell at them. Normally their mother would be able to calm him but ever since they had moved, whenever she tried to do so he would turn on her.

 

They decided to talk to their mother and her if she what was causing their father to act like this. When they did so she wouldn’t say anything and looked like she was about to cry making them not want to press her any further.

 

It seemed as if their family was slowly breaking and the only one their father cared for was their sister. She could do no wrong as far as he was concerned while everything Dongho or Eli did was absolutely horrible. He started punishing them harshly whenever they got below a hundred in anything. Although he never physically harmed them, the punishments were almost impossible to bear and made them feel lower than a slug.

 

One day they came home to find their father yelling at their mother so loudly that they convinced their sister to stay at their neighbor’s house until things calmed down. Cautiously they crept inside to find no one in the living room so they decided to check the basement. When they peered down they saw their mother on the floor with their father continuously kicking her.

 

“Stop! Why are you doing this to our mother?!” Eli yelled running down to pull their father off of her.

 

“Because this deserves it!” He yelled pulling away from him only to punch Eli in the face.

 

“I don’t get it, why are you doing this?!” Dongho screamed rushing to his brother’s side.

 

“Because she cheated on me for 18 years and hid it from me the entire time! You two are bastard children who don’t deserve to live either!”

 

Before either Dongho or Eli could process all of this their father them. One would have thought that they would have been able to stop him, but he was fuelled by what he felt was righteous anger. Soon they were not able move or do anything except cry out in pain every time he hit them. Dongho strained to move his arm and Eli saw this and managed to his little brother’s hand before he fell unconscious.

 

---------------------------

 

They watched as the police ran through the door and pulled their father off of them. Watched as they were rushed to the hospital even though the paramedics knew there was nothing that could be done. Watched as their father was arrested, mother went into a coma, and sister was sent to live with their aunt. Watched as new family moved in with a son and daughter.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

A/N: I'm sorry for not updating earlier but the wifi at my campus was cut off so this was the first chance I had to update. There are only going to be two more chapters before this ends.

Here are the pics for FiveMoreMinutes: