The Second

Leaving to Escape the Pain

 

Hoon smiled at his girlfriend as she helped him move into the house he’d bought in Seoul. She didn’t know that he wanted to ask her to live with him in a while and maybe stay forever.

 

“I’m so happy for you Hoonie. You’re finally going to be able to achieve your dream and become a famous pianist.” She said hugging him after they brought all of the boxes in.

 

“Thanks but you know I have to win this competition first. I still can’t believe that they chose me to be one of the finalists.” Hoon said smiling down at her.

 

“Of course they did, why wouldn’t they? You’re a genius!”

 

“And you’re my muse. I think I’m going to put the piano in the basement because the room reminds me of a blank slate waiting to be filled.”

 

He did just that and moved the stepladder to the side so the piano could be under the light. The competition was only a week away and he knew there wasn’t much time to prepare so he didn’t bother unpacking all of the boxes. Hoon knew that his girlfriend was sad that he wasn’t spending as much time with her so he invited her to listen to him practice. Noting how dark it was she brought two more lights and put them on the piano so he’d be able to see what he was doing before sitting in a chair by the bottom of the stairs.

 

She was disappointed that he didn’t seem to notice her but was sure that after the competition was over, things would go back to how they were. Hoon, on the other hand, had other plans. He planned on devoting his performance to her and asking her to marry him after he played his part at the competition.

 

The day before the competition everyone was asked to gather at the auditorium so they could run through the performance. No one besides the performers were allowed to attend so Hoon asked his girlfriend to wait for him at a café near by and told her that he’d be done by 10 at the latest.

 

Hoon performed wonderfully and was unaware of the jealous looks from some of the other performers. When they all finished and were dismissed he went back on the stage and sat at the piano just resting his fingers on the keys and letting the soul of the piano speak to him. He was so focused that he didn’t notice one of the other performers come up behind him until they were right behind him. As he turned to look at them, the other person reached out and slammed the lid onto his fingers, breaking them and sending him into shock and out.

 

----------------

He woke up suddenly and looked around. Hoon saw that he was in a hospital room and lowered his head and saw his hands. They were wrapped in gauze to the point that they were as big as boxing gloves.

 

“You’re awake.”

 

He looked up and saw his girlfriend standing in the door with tears in her eyes.

 

“I’m sorry, the doctor said you’ll never regain full mobility of your fingers. I’m so sorry Hoonie.”

 

He was unable to process her words and stared at his hands, mutely. Hoon sat like for the longest time not speaking and barely eating. His mood didn’t change even after he was released and merely sat at his piano silently crying. He hadn’t realized how much music made up his life and how hard it was to know that he would never be able to play the piano again and lose himself in its sound.

 

His girlfriend watched from the top of the stairs and shook her head in despair. She had tired everything to get him to recover, speak, interact with society, anything to show that he still cared about the world. It wasn’t that she thought he didn’t love her anymore, just that she despaired at not being able to help him.

 

She’d hoped that when the gauze was taken off he’d do better, but it only served to make him more depressed as he sat at the piano, resting his fingers on the keys and not able to make a melody. She tried playing for him but it did nothing to help him so she left for the day.

 

Hoon barely noticed as she left and eventually managed to drag himself upstairs and to the kitchen. The knife she had used to cut the vegetables lay glimmering on the counter as took hold of the handle before walking back downstairs. Sitting down at the piano he placed his fingers on the keys, gently pressing them. The song lasted for two measures before a jarringly wrong note rang through the air causing Hoon to lower his head in despair. Reaching out he took hold of the knife and with shaking hands brought it so that the tip rested just over his heart. Taking a ragged breath he looked up before closing his eyes and piercing his heart with the knife.

 

‘I’m sorry, you deserve someone better than me.’

 

------------------

 

He watched as she found him and cried hard enough to make her almost pass out. Watched as she packed what few things he had unpack and gave them to a donation center. Watched as the piano once more, crying, before leaving the house. Watched as a young couple moved in and sold his piano, leaving the room bare once again except for the chair and stepladder.

 

--------------------------------------------

A/N: Apparently I'm finding it somewhat easy to write depressing things. This one was based off of a story I read somewhere and thought fitted, but there was no girlfriend. Also if you watch the mv very closely you should be able to pick out who the next story is about.

Thank you to all those who subscribed and comment! You guys make my day!

In case anyone hasn't seen it yet or wants to reference here's the link and try guessing who's next in your comment, I might add a picture for you if you're right. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpHlqag33JY