The First

Leaving to Escape the Pain

 

Kiseop sighed as their words rang through his head.

 

“You’re worthless!”

 

“No one cares about you!”

 

“No one loves you!”

 

Every day he was assaulted with these words and he tried to not let them affect him.  This had been going on ever since his last year of primary school and it was beginning to take its toll on him.

 

“You’re ugly!”

 

“No one would ever want to go out with you!”

 

Things weren’t as bad as they were in junior high when he was physically beaten up. His mother had seen the bruises and enrolled him in martial arts classes. Now the bullies only attacked him mentally.

 

“You have no talent!”

 

“Why did you even bother coming here?!”

 

“You’re a waste of air!”

 

He thought things would have been better once he got into a high school where he knew no one, but the bullying only got worse. Now they attacked not only his looks but his singing and dancing. Striving to be better he would practice until he collapsed and barely ate anything to try and make himself look better.

 

“Why do you even come here?”

 

“You’re just taking up space that could be given to someone more deserving!”

 

He tried to push through for his mother’s sake. He knew it hurt her to see him suffering so he would no longer tell her about the bullying. It was hard to keep up a strong front and go to school when the only thing he wanted was to never leave his room.

 

“You’re a pathetic excuse for a human!”

 

“You should do a favor and go die!”

 

Luckily it was winter when Kiseop first started cutting his wrists and long sleeves were not questioned. The pain of his arms helped him deal with the pain in his heart. It got to the point where he didn’t want to stop cutting and was only able to because he didn’t want to see his mother suffer more than she already was.

 

“What’s up with those gloves?!”

 

“You finally found a fashion style that fits you’re intelligence level, stupid.”

 

He continued cutting his wrists even when the weather warmed up and started wearing long gloves to hide the scars. It was getting harder to hide them from his mother and she even confronted him about them at one point.

 

“I don’t know why you continue coming here!”

 

“You should quit, no one will ever hire you!”

 

The bullying was getting worse and no one would talk to him at school except to torment or . They would do this even in class and the teachers wouldn’t say a thing to stop them. He was only eating enough food to stay alive and if one saw him without his shirt on they’d think he was a victim of a famine or the Holocaust.

 

“You worthless piece of trash!”

 

“I bet your mother doesn’t even care for you!”

 

“Why don’t you do everyone a favor and kill yourself?”

 

Kiseop sighed as the tears ran down his face and onto the note he was writing.

 

“Mom, I’m sorry but it’s for the best. Goodbye, I love you.”

 

He put it on his desk and went down to the basement. It was the only room in the house that had no furniture in it and was completely white. A single light bulb illuminated the room as he dragged the stepladder to the middle of it and climbed up to attach the rope to the ceiling. Taking a deep breath he slipped it over his head and tightened it.

 

‘I’m sorry mom.’

 

A single tear ran down his cheek as he kicked the ladder away and his body dropped.

 

-----------------------

 

Kiseop watched as his mother found him and cried, watched as she cried over the next few weeks, and watched as she moved out, not able to be in the house that reminded her of him anymore. He watched as a young man moved in and placed a piano in the room where his soul stayed.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: This is my first story and I hope you all like it. This chapter was both hard and easy to write. Easy because I was able to base this on his life and hard because this could have actually happened. I'm so glad it didn't and love Kiseop even more being able to overcome that and be such a wonderful person and singer.