the flashes start again

that won't stop me just so you know

College League starts tomorrow.

Athletes who undergo immense stress and pressure before a match is a normal occurrence. To Nayeon however, to finally be able to walk through the field she’s been anticipating and wanting her whole life is a boost to her confidence. It is like being able to rev the engine harder bringing it to life full force. While the others are trying to get over the pre-match jitters, much like Jeongyeon and Chaeyoung who dedicated their free time by running around the track for a couple of laps all the while bumping each other by the shoulder, Nayeon is at her dorm lying down staring at the white ceiling.

One of the biggest events of her life is about to come crashing at her and she’s prepared for it through sweat and trainings that lasted for more than half a day. As an athlete, Nayeon always wanted more for herself. And hopefully if things go well and according to game plan, Nayeon has one less problem to worry about.

“Tired?” Momo asks as she comes around her own bed, ready to sleep the night away.

Nayeon hums in response then turns to her side and sees Momo taking the towel wrapped around her wet hair off.  “How’s Mina doing?”

Nayeon never knew that purposely avoiding Mina for months would take so much toll on her. (But love endures.)

“You’re really something Im Nayeon,” she chuckles. “You have a lot on your plate yet here you are checking on my best friend who you claim to not love you anymore, like humanity’s lost faith. You have it bad, huh?”

Nayeon likes to believe (and fool herself) that time can heal all wounds but Momo would argue with her because not all wounds are going to heal if those who suffer from it keeps finding a reason to open it. You can’t help a hardheaded patient heal. Unless she shows improvements of actually helping herself.

“And thank god you still haven’t kicked me in the face for breaking your best friend’s heart.” Nayeon smiles – a sad one that holds regret and sorry for all the time that’s lost.

“Doesn’t mean I won’t. You and me have issues with Mina. I don’t know if things will go our way but I’m dealing with it the best I can.”

The tiny flame of hope within Nayeon still flares.

“You think I can?”

“Can she?” Momo knows that Nayeon knows that this not only solely lies on her but also with Mina. She can’t keep carrying the burden that two people must share in order to achieve their common goal. That is, if they do share the same goal.

“She’s going to come around eventually. Mina knows she has to sort herself out and more than anyone she’s the only one who can help herself.”

There it is again. The subtle yet painfully obvious game of waiting for each other. But the way Momo is talking, she has to believe the only person that has every means to communicate with Mina. Someone who understands Mina better than Nayeon can.

“I can’t help but think you and Jeongyeon are meeting up and conspiring about things you should say to us.” Nayeon chimes, rolling onto her back again.

And when Momo doesn’t verbally answer her and resort to tucking herself to bed, Nayeon knows. Doesn’t have to say anything because she for sure did not deny anything.

Hopefully Mina does the same because now Nayeon is lost to where she stands with Mina. If they’re still even friends at this point. If Mina is going to even look at her direction or even tolerate her voice within vicinity.

“Get some sleep, Nayeon. I’ll make sure she watches the match tomorrow. You can count on me.”

/

Thousands of soccer fans fill up the seats and from how loud they’re cheering and stomping, they could make the ground shake which leaves Nayeon wanting to bring this game to a clear win. It is always exciting and a way to pump her adrenaline on maximum whenever the crowd is receptive and downright noisy, hooting and howling until their throats run dry.

It’s ironic how Nayeon can always find focus and the drive to surge forward even when everything around her is shouting at her, cheering, and on the edge of their seats anticipating if she’ll be able to run past her opponents and make the sweet goal.

Nayeon came here because she’s got a lot to prove and show to people that greatness and excellence does not come in form of luck or who your opponents are. It’s all the reasons that made Nayeon strive hard to be here today: the promise to Jihyeon, the fulfillment of her dream, all the days and nights she’s spent practicing and honing her skills to a sharp and perfect finish,  and hopefully to Mina whether she’s watching or not that Nayeon is also offering this win to her.

That if Nayeon can climb great heights like this, so can she.

Great athletes are not built overnight. Nayeon still has some jagged parts to her but that keeps her from not giving up.

And wins are not entirely because of Im Nayeon running around the field back and forth but because of her teammates that work in perfect unison with her, executing plays they’ve practiced for countless of days and water bottles, giving each other pats at the back for trying their best, and how they come together to share the same goal of winning the College League.

Their coach is at the sidelines, too, shouting at his players signals and cues that deem fit for the current situation, analyzing both his team and the opponents’ actions through the course. Nayeon lets him go off, even raises a thumbs up to his way, because apart from being the red blob Nayeon describes him to be, he knows his players well.

Goal!

Chaeyoung runs around the post, rolling on the ground and then gets back up as quickly as she made the goal with her arms up flailing around in pure excitement and ecstasy to contribute to the team’s goal. Nayeon bumps chest with her in midair ruffling her already messy hair.

Today is going to be good.

Nayeon can feel it.

But a good game does not mean effortlessly winning and shooting it because your opponents are not on par, a good game comes in having to struggle with the tight difference of their scores. Scoring a goal meant provoking the other team and the inevitable goal of the other side.

No one is safe today.

College League is what Nayeon expects it to be. Facing opponents that are on par with her skillset and the same eyes that hold purpose and meaning as to why they should do everything they can to win this game. If Nayeon were to describe this moment, it’d be like setting both herself and her opponents on fire to see who’s going to burn brighter and devour the field down to ashes until they win.

But Nayeon is exhausted, her own flame exhausting as she comes to catch her breath when the whistle was blown. She has to get this together because everyone is counting on each other and she’s afraid that if she shows any sign it’s going to affect the team’s morale. Over the course of their tiresome training, Nayeon learned how to value the team and how it functions altogether as one whole piece and not as individuals running round and round on the field alone.

Two years ago, Nayeon felt exactly how to play alone. With the seniors backstabbing her and underestimating the freshman, Nayeon had to gear herself up for a battle meant to be waged with an army and not by a lone solider. Now, Jeongyeon, Chaeyoung, and everyone are moving together as one.

Though it is a beautiful sight, they will have to put this coordination to the test.

“You’re out of breath,” Her coach comments, handing Nayeon a towel as she comes trudging with towards the benches. “I’m substituting you until later. Get some rest, we’ll need you to finish the game.”

/

Back in the dorm lounge area where athletes have gathered with one sole purpose of cheering for their very own soccer team, Momo had unceremoniously appeared betting with people she’s unfamiliar with of who’s going to kick the winning goal.

Bets are heavily divided between Nayeon and Seulgi.

With the promising statistics during the Qualifiers, one has to shine brighter than the other. Competition is always good to push an athlete to improve and be better.

Momo sees Mina at the corner back of the room, alone and all to herself but eyes are glued and intensely focused on the screen. She wonders if Mina is as nervous as Momo. Seeing Nayeon and the others play meant being physical and it is part of their chosen sport unlike swimming. There are no bodies clashing with one another when an interception has to happen, no flesh gliding at the ground trying to keep the ball in possession. You are on your own in swimming.

Goal!

Everyone rises from their seats howling, giving each other high fives and chest bumps as Chaeyoung scored a goal for the team.

“Oh? Look’s like Nayeon is getting a substitute,” Dahyun comments and points at the screen which turn heads and gains attention.

“She looks tired.”

Even at the furthest point of the room, Mina hears and hopes that everything Nayeon’s trained for won’t go down the drain. Being away from the soccer player gave Mina the space and calm that she very much needed from her heightened emotions. And to push and set aside those feelings, Mina can support Nayeon in her own quiet way, hands clasped together hoping for the best.

/

Nayeon heads inside for a bathroom break.

The score now stands 3-2. It’s a tight match and the longer that it drags the way it is right now with player running back and forth, passing the ball to another only to get it stolen from possession, they are bound to grow tired. Even Chaeyoung who’s usually the best in maintaining her energy and breathe can feel it weigh her down.

“Where’s Nayeon?” The coach asks eyes trained on the players at the field, no time to keep his eyes off of them. He stands with his arms crossed against his chest.

One of the benched players tiptoes and searches the sides of the field searching for a jersey with 22 printed on the back. Going back to their coach she says, “Still in the bathroom I think?”

The first half is nearing its end. He thinks it’s necessary for them to gather up and discuss another play to execute and secure the bag.

“Go find her I have some things to discuss with her before I put her in again.”

She salutes to their coach, a snicker is what she receives, and then she’s off inside the building to search for Im Nayeon.

He looks at the scoreboard again. The position they are in is far from outstanding. With the players breathing heavier each passing minute, a new tactic has to be implemented. And as far as his trust goes, he knows Nayeon can lead her teammates to a victory that will be imprinted not only in their record but to the world that they’ve won the College League.

Nayeon might be the hardest to come to terms with, always loud and about with her friends, a handful of lates and a record streak of going missing during practices, but she can pull off plays to perfection. He respects Nayeon very much and to yell at her in a voice that coats no softness and rainbows is what he believes would mold the soccer star into becoming a better player.

He has yet to talk with Nayeon about her record after the game. There is no doubt that sponsors will be coming after the promising star of the soccer field wearing the jersey numbered 22 and a clear print of IM in capital letters. Such a talent for it to go to waste.

Whatever happened to Im Nayeon two years ago, a mindboggling past that somehow is gradually being erased through wins back to back, his coach hopes it won’t happen again. Nayeon is up on her own two feet and the world for her to conquer.

Two years ago, Nayeon had lost.

Two years after, the player that her coach sent to find her comes running in haste and a worrisome voice she shakes, “Coach I think we have to file a case of a missing soccer player…” She bows repeatedly and then adds, “I’ve searched the comfort rooms even the ones in at the second floor and asked the staffs around but they said they didn’t see Nayeon in any way.”

He tries not to show panic. “The locker rooms? Have you checked the locker rooms?”

Dejectedly, she nods. “Didn’t find her there either.”

“This is bad. Where the hell would that idiot go now?” He frowns. “Even at games she goes missing, god what do I do with that kid!”

 /

The halftime break ends.

“Isn’t Nayeon playing now? Where the hell is she?”

“What the heck they’re not letting Nayeon in?”

A girl in her tracksuit snickers. “You like Nayeon that much?”

“And if I do? You got a problem with that?”

(Mina does, apparently. But she keeps it to herself.)

/

Even two years later Nayeon finds herself losing again. With the walls of the hospital enclosing in on her each step she takes to the ward, tears help themselves down Nayeon’s cheeks. Right now, Jihyeon is the only person in her mind and the deathly worry she has cannot be overcome until she sees Jihyeon peacefully sleeping.

Back at the stadium, Nayeon had quickly called to check on Jihyeon as she was unable to do so this morning and never had she ran that fast past the exit of the building to get here. Had she not called her aunt she’d still be playing and securing an obnoxious win all the while Jihyeon lies on a hospital bed – collapsed earlier that day and was immediately sent to the medical facility.

A simple “She’s sleeping” won’t do Nayeon any good. This is Jihyeon that they are talking about and more than anything, she cannot let the precious two-year-old be alone. Nayeon repeats what was written in the past, but this time, hopefully, that when Jihyeon opens her eyes and call out to her, she’ll be there.

Nayeon had lost her sister and it still eats her up to this day, even though she’s grown strong enough not to break down at the mention of her sister, the guilt is still there. She wasn’t there for her sister. She could’ve been there.

This is what Nayeon fears the most. Losing someone when she could’ve done something. When she could’ve been there before it all happens.

For the past week, Jihyeon had been showing symptoms of high fevers on and off. It had raised alarm with her aunt but to this very moment she regrets not calling Nayeon this morning when Jihyeon had fallen ill again and had collapsed.

 

(“Hey,” Nayeon greets her aunt. Calling her and checking up on Jihyeon seems like the only available option for her to not sink into depressing thoughts. “Everything alright there?”

“I’m not so sure about that.” She replies in hesitation.

“Why?  Did something happen?”

Nayeon is in match season right now. She knows it’s not the right time but Nayeon is, after all, Jihyeon’s family.

“Jihyeon got hospitalized yesterday. For the last week she keeps having high fevers, on and off. But don’t worry too much, she’s okay now.”

Nayeon pretends it doesn’t break her heart not to be with Jihyeon right now.)

 

To see Nayeon still wearing her soccer uniform, tears rolling down her cheeks bursting open through the ward, it breaks her heart to have kept it from her. If anything from their past experience, two years ago specifically, she knew Nayeon would give up everything for family.

Even if it meant her dream.

The promise of winning the College League.

The taste of winning the Nationals.

Family or nothing. Nayeon had learned to prioritize and value people from her experiences. That even if this is going to cost her entire career, family comes first. No amount of success would suffice the treasure that is family. Related or not, family is family.

“She’s going to be okay right? Jihyeon is okay?” This is the voice that comes out of desperation and painful worry. Crying at the ill and bedridden child, Nayeon could only gently caress the sleeping Jihyeon in her imagination.

“The doctor said she will be. They’ll do checks again when she wakes up.”

Her aunt wraps her arm around Nayeon’s shoulder in hopes to give the girl protection and assurance that everything will be alright. Jihyeon is alright, she will be.

“Nayeon, you have a game waiting for you. When you finish you can visit Jihyeon after,” she says carefully, afraid to hit the wrong spot.

She looks up at her as if she’s said something wrong – disappointed that even after the years the message is still not as clear. “The game can ing wait, my future can wait. Jihyeon won’t. I don’t want her waking up to no one and crying because people that are supposed to be by her side are not! She won’t know until she’s old what she’s been through but all I can do is guarantee her that I won’t leave. God, Jihyeon is my life! This kid keeps me ing sane and grounded and the least I could do for her is be there! Something I should’ve done before!”

Her aunt baffles Nayeon. How can the simplest concept of family not get through her head? She might as well be overreacting but she will never risk losing family.

Yet her aunt understands this: the way that Nayeon is feeling right now, how strong the connection between her and Jihyeon is something only Nayeon could understand and feel. Being a mother to your niece is not as easy counting from one to three. Having to juggle between responsibilities is difficult as it is. But to have Jihyeon is a love unconditional to Nayeon.

“I would rather want Jihyeon to know that I’m a two-time loser of going missing and abandoning a soccer league match than me walking and living my future with the regret that I wasn’t there for her.”

Two years later, Im Nayeon is the strongest that she could ever be.

/

Midfielder Yoo Jeongyeon and Forward Son Chaeyoung should be happy that they’ve won the College League against tough opponents that are all out in trying to win the shiny trophy and the privilege of securing a sponsor. Wins are always celebrated happily but it doesn’t sit right to why their best friend Im Nayeon disappeared and quit the match halfway.

“Hurry up and call her!” Chaeyoung fusses in panic, hands flailing around, not sure of what to do that their best friend is nowhere to be found.

“What do you think am I doing?” Jeongyeon frowns, her phone closely pressed to her ear waiting for the person on the other line to pick up.

“Hello?”

“Oh- uh, this is Nayeon’s phone right?” She checks her phone if she’s mistaken the contact. It clearly says Nayeon and her designated personal number below her name.

“Yes this is Nayeon’s phone. Are you one of her friends?”

Chaeyoung clings to Jeongyeon in desperate need to hear her friend’s voice. She gets pushed to the side, an angry pout emerges from her lips, and she crosses her arms below her chest.

“Yeah, we are. Chaeyoung and Jeongyeon. May I know who is this?”

“This is her aunt-“

“Uh, right sorry about that. Is Nayeon there? And if she is, we don’t really care if she doesn’t want to see us right now but we’re worried as , can you tell us where you two are?”

/

They all arrive at the ward.

Jeongyeon is equally as confused as Chaeyoung seeing that Hirai Momo is already sitting beside a child’s bed seemingly so concerned, no Nayeon around.

“Momo? What brings you here?” Chaeyoung steps out instead because Jeongyeon is dysfunctional as of the moment.

Looking back to see who was calling for her, Momo offers Chaeyoung a smile and ushers her to come over. Puzzled as to why she’s watching over a kid Chaeyoung asks, “Is she a relative of yours?”

“Oh,” Realizing that none of Nayeon’s friends excluding her knows about Jihyeon’s existence, Momo tries not to interfere with Nayeon’s plans. She reasons, “No, but I am watching over her. Do you mind watching her? I’ll go get Nayeon.”

Chaeyoung replaces Momo’s former seat and watches her disappear out of the room. That did not answer her curiosity as to why Nayeon is in the hospital and coincidentally why Momo is here too.

Moments later, Momo walks side by side with Nayeon in tow. The swimmer approaches Jeongyeon at the side of the room leaning against the cold wall and tells her to come over.

Nayeon could only smile, apologetic that she’s abandoned her team, standing awkwardly among the circle with her hands tucked to her side.

Jeongyeon has her arms crossed over her chest, looking back and forth from Momo to the kid sleeping and then to the soccer player that had magically disappeared during the match. Whatever the equation was, it doesn’t make any sense to the midfielder.

She bares a scowl, “What the hell are you ing pulling Im Nayeon? I don’t ing get you, believe me I always try to understand whatever goes on in that head of yours, but disappearing on us like that? God, Nayeon do you know how worried we are?” Jeongyeon hisses with gritted teeth, clenching her fists at the sides, holding herself back from doing anything physical to the soccer player.

“You better have an excuse I can digest before I spit on you.”

Nayeon keeps her eyes everywhere, anything but on her friends. “Did you guys win?”

“That doesn’t matter,” Jeongyeon spits and thank god Chaeyoung is there to pull Jeongyeon back before she could lay a finger on their friend.

“I’m sorry I disappeared like that,” Nayeon sighs. She is going to understand that they are nothing but disappointed in her. Who wouldn’t when everyone expects you to be there, lead them, and show the world what you’ve got? They have their expectations and Nayeon let them down.

“An emergency came up and I- I can’t leave Jihyeon the way she is and I just took the easiest way out, ran and checked on my baby-“

“What crack are you smoking? Baby?” Jeongyeon nears the line of accusatory, that Nayeon is out of it. “Get your ing head together, Im Nayeon!”

Nayeon looks at the sleeping Jihyeon, Jeongyeon does too. “That’s Jihyeon. I adopted her since my sister died. Remember two years ago? Stupid rumors about me and all that . That was it. I know you’re going to shove at me that I should’ve been professional but Jeongyeon can you ing blame me? I lost my sister before in the same hospital and I wasn’t there on time.” She croaks, pauses before her voice cracks. “I love Jihyeon – god, I’m willing to give up everything for this kid!”

Chaeyoung alternates her focus on Jihyeon and Nayeon, the slight semblance of an Im now making things clearer than it first was.

Jeongyeon stares at Momo who’s been quiet for some time now. “You knew about this?” 

She nods, “It was on accident. I saw them outside and things happened.”

“And you didn’t tell us anything about this?” Jeongyeon jabs a hard finger to Nayeon’s shoulder.

“I was going to tell you after the finals but – I’m sorry, really, I didn’t know this would happen and god I just messed up big time, didn’t I?”

Jeongyeon would’ve tacked Im Nayeon to the ground for real if it weren’t for the fact that, as much as their life revolves soccer and the likes of it, before Nayeon is a soccer player running rounds in the field and scoring goals, she’s a person with a family like the rest of them. Instead, she throws light punches to her shoulders in replacement of the finger she’s jabbed so hard at her.

They stay like that for a few moments until Jeongyeon breaks it again.

“You’re so stupid,” Jeongyeon mutters.

“Im Nayeon you are such a stupid person,” To this Nayeon softens and she can finally look at all of them in eyes. Jeongyeon pulls her in for a hug. She freezes, unable to reciprocate the arms that now envelop her

“I’m still upset with you, just so you know.”

“And I’m so ing relieved that nothing bad happened to you and to Jihyeon!” Chaeyoung adds, squeezing herself in the hug that was previously for two – luckily Jeongyeon has long arms to let the small Forward in.

Jeongyeon ends the hug and she thinks it’s now time for her to change the spotlight to Momo.

“You’re threatening us as Nayeon’s best friend,” She jokes, offering the swimmer a grin. “You’re in for a lifelong headache with Nayeon.”

“I can tell,” Momo smiles. “Isn’t that right, Nayeon?”

Overwhelmed at the whiplash of the moment, Nayeon is left staring at the three who are looking at her expectantly. She's been on an unwanted rollercoaster today – it’s so exhausting in every aspect yet Nayeon knows that after today, or maybe after Jihyeon wakes up and all is good, she has a lot of explaining to do to her team and her coach. Knows that she’s not going to have a miracle that’s going to save her face in all of the population of the university, the athletes that watched her, and everyone that follows the soccer scene.

She calls for her aunt that was waiting outside the ward, asked for a small favor to watch over Jihyeon. Herding her friends outside for some late night coffee or whatever excuse she can come up with to breath fresh air, Nayeon settles herself down and they all follow after.

“For the record, I’m not buying you guys free drinks or food.” Nayeon declares before anyone gets the idea of leaching from her wallet.

“I want to clear my head of everything but that’s not going to happen anytime soon.” The soccer player frowns – out of all the days that could’ve ed up it had to be today.

What bad luck is Nayeon attracting?

“Don’t worry we’ll help you,” assures Chaeyoung.

Son Chaeyoung is not as outspoken like Jeongyeon and Momo. For all the time that Nayeon knew her little friend, Chaeyoung is a woman of her words. She rarely to never break her promises. So to have Chaeyoung assure her, the way she does, Nayeon is putting her trust in her.

/

Death day comes a little too early for Im Nayeon.

Jeongyeon and Chaeyoung had assured her that they were going to try and explain it the best that they can to their teammates first. They were, in fact, very receptive to the first part of the story that’s about Nayeon bolting out as instinct because of an emergency. However when they had gotten to the part where it involves skepticism and proofs, making sense out of the story is hard especially when they don’t have Nayeon and her pictures with Jihyeon to back their claims.

Still, that was a good start.

Next comes the harder part of talking to their coach.

At that point, Chaeyoung had convinced Nayeon to show up and do her part of the plan. She is the instigator of this after all.

Nayeon shows up wearing the baggiest of bags that her wardrobe can offer her from track pants to her overly bright mustard yellow hoodie. It’s not the best cover but Nayeon has hypnotized herself to blur and muffle out all the unnecessary things.

“He’s inside. Try not to say anything out of the blue or get carried away by emotions, kinda important.” Jeongyeon whispers at her before she gets pushed inside the office.

Nayeon stands awkwardly at the middle, hands attached to her side, unfamiliar with this kind of setting that feels like she’s sent to the principal’s office for something she’s done which is not that farfetched. She coughs in attempt to get his attention away from the paper work he was working on – probably the sponsorships of everyone that had no disappeared from the match.

Yeah, there’s no way I’m still there.

“Hey coach,” Nayeon utters, stuck if she’s supposed to use the formal and sorry voice she’s not used to projecting or the usual ‘I’m Im Nayeon so please hear me out’ kind of voice.

“Don’t hey me, Im.”

He is effective, that Nayeon firmly believes now that he’s using the voice of authority that he should’ve used on her before than shouting and busting his lungs out at her. But now that he’s projecting his voice like this Nayeon knows she’s walking around egg shells.

“Congratulations by the way. The team won the match!” She tries (fails ultimately) to enthuse, not wanting to start this talk with all the negativity and heavy feelings they both have for each other.

“You mean the match you left us all?”

That stings. A lot.

It still is Nayeon’s dream that they are talking about. She’d be lying to herself if she were to say that after she’s calmed down and collected her emotions and mind it didn’t crush everything in her. She had worked hard to get where she was. Was.

“I really do commend how thick faced you are Nayeon. Leaving your team for the whole nation to know and wonder where the hell you are, Im Nayeon the rising superstar that didn’t made it, is that how you want to be remembered? Where the hell was your “I promise to do my best” attitude? Your team needed you, I know it doesn’t only require you to win this big match, but are you that insensitive? Can’t you keep your word for at least one match?”

“I’m sorry,” Nayeon whispers.

But somehow he heard her. “I know you are. You wouldn’t be here if you weren’t.”

“I am so sorry,” she repeats, albeit shaking at the discomfort that disappointment brings, Nayeon keeps her feet planted on the ground. “I’m sorry for being a disappointment, believe me I hate being one but what difference does that make now?”

“What difference do you want to make? The world is not all about forgiveness, it’s about redemption. Im Nayeon the world is going to at you and attack you using your records, two big matches that you’ve abandoned, that won’t guarantee you an easy way to the Nationals. People will doubt your credentials before they criticize you to the smallest irrelevant detail.” He breathes. 

“I’m your coach, Nayeon. I want all of you to be out there playing with nothing to worry about because everything is secured and at the palm of your hands. You’re such a talent to just be recognized as the player that backs out during the big events. You had it right there so why the hell did you throw it away?”

Nayeon bows. Palms touching the carpeted floor and body bended over.

“Stand up, Im Nayeon. I don’t want to see you like this, get on your feet. It’s been done and over and I don’t need you saying sorry like this.”

“Why the hell are you not mad? I’d prefer it if you were shouting at me – !”

He stands before Nayeon, stoic instead of the soccer player’s usual red angry blob of a coach yapping away and telling Nayeon to get her to training.

“I would be shouting at you if I were upset but I’m not. I am disappointed in you Nayeon. Stand up before I rip your papers and sponsorships apart.”

Nayeon does so, fast that she’s clutching at his arm out of desperation. “Sponsorship? I’m out of that so why do I have one?”

“You don’t, not now, but it’s up to you to take it or not.”

How could she? A sponsorship despite running from a match that’s supposed to determine a secure spot? Nayeon knows for a fact that she’s not worthy of it – her mind wonders and travels back to Mina in that short time if this is how it feels? Is this how Mina feels?

“You’re not in the right mind so I want you to think it through. Have some time for yourself because my athletes are not going to be fed that easily. And I know for a fact that you’re not going to accept things the way that they are right now.”

“Are you telling me to go on a break?”

He nods. “Better than moping around the field, isn’t it? Yoo and Son are far from liars but I’m still going to make them accountable for what they’ve said.”

“They told you?”

“If they didn’t who would? You, Im Nayeon, are the biggest pain in the of an athlete. Go home and come back when things are okay.”

She hugs him for the first time since they’ve met, odd yet it assures Nayeon.

“I’ll work hard for that sponsorship, coach.”

/

Nayeon is relieved that it did not end as dramatic as she had pictured it inside her head. She does not need another reason to make her head ache from all the nagging she’s received from Jeongyeon (and little excerpts from Chaeyoung who’s surprisingly as good as their tallest friend).

With the time given to her, Nayeon packs her clothes. She won’t be here for quite some time now that time and circumstance have permitted her to be quietly away. Going on park dates with Jihyeon sounds good when she recovers her healthy body, had remembered how happy and active Jihyeon was when the three of them (with Momo) had gone out to walk in the park.

Momo sits beside Nayeon’s stroller pushing it back and forth as she could only watch her friend pack her things. It’s going to be lonely with no Nayeon around the dorm. Momo can’t help but hug the stroller close to her chest, a pout on her lips.

“What are you sulking for?” Nayeon glances at the swimmer.

“I can’t believe that my first year in this dorm I already have my roommate leaving.” Momo huffs, and blows on her loose bangs. “Can I visit Jihyeon?”

Nayeon chuckles, smiling at Momo and nods. “The next time you do be sure to bring me food too and not just Jihyeon. She’s going to appreciate that so much.”

“Yeah, right.” She rolls her eyes and lands a soft punch at Nayeon’s shoulder. “You appreciate that. I’m going to bring Jeongyeon and Chaeyoung with me because I swear! Taking care of Jihyeon takes like, at least three people, and I’m sure she’s enough to shut Jeongyeon up.”

“Oh trust me, Jihyeon is enough to shut all the three of you up. I bet the three of you won’t survive a whole day with how active my baby is.”

Momo grins. “My baby- psshh! If I was a year younger I’d look more like a baby!”

“Oh? Jihyeon doesn’t like competition, she’s a queen of her own.”

“Well she has to embrace me, Jeongyeon, and Chaeyoung because she’s going to meet the best aunts in the world! Me being her favorite, of course.”

Giggling, Nayeon stops fiddling with her clothes and looks back at Momo. “She called you pretty that doesn’t guarantee you you’re her favorite.”

“How the hell does Jihyeon keep up with someone as boring as you, Nayeon?”

Nayeon is going to miss this. The stupid banters with Momo that somehow makes sense no matter how far they stray from the actual topic. Who would’ve thought her one night stand turned roommate is going to be one of Jihyeon’s aunts? Momo is undeniably a great friend, is always understanding and open.

Bursting through the door with the loudest bang and the widest and biggest smile that Nayeon has ever seen on Jeongeon’s face, the midfielder forms a makeshift megaphone with her hands.

“Alright losers! Is Im Nayeon ready? We don’t have all day!”

Chaeyoung shoves Jeongyeon to the side and happily jumps on Nayeon. Their bodies crash against the floor along with an audible thud that follows after.

“Son Chaeyoung what the hell?” Nayeon groans, pushing the small soccer player off of her.

“I’m not your baby anymore!” Uncharacteristically Chaeyoung whines and latches herself more to the person beneath her.

“Jeongyeon what is she talking about?”

Closing the door behind her, Jeongyeon shrugs. “She’s lost it apparently. Don’t mind Chaeyoung too much.”

“I may not be the target of that foul and insensitive mouth of yours, I’m going to miss you.”

Acting like a bouncer, Jeongyeon peels Chaeyoung off of Nayeon with great force against the koala tendencies that their friend has.

Chaeyoung pouts, again shoving Jeongyeon to the side. “Like you’re not going to miss Nayeon!”

“Chaeyoung,” Jeongyeon deadpans. “She’s not quitting university nor leaving the ing country and as much as I love Nayeon, I’m finally going to have a break from her! God do you know how long have I waited for this?”

A jacket gets slapped right in Jeongyeon’s face coming from Nayeon that’s pretending she’s hurt over a lame excuse that only Yoo Jeongyeon could come up with.

“Momo you’re only allowed to bring Chaeyoung with you when you visit, okay? I don’t want Jihyeon learning bad things from this giant.”

“What? That’s no fair! I want to see Jihyeon too!”

Nayeon sticks her tongue out then says, “ to be you, huh?”

Yeah, Nayeon is definitely going to miss this.

/

(“I’m coming home, Jihyeon.”)

/

“Are you sure you can handle all of this? You know I can always stay and help you out, Nayeon.” Her aunt offers in the midst of helping Nayeon unpack her things and neatly stash it inside the soccer player’s cabinet.

How ironic it is that Nayeon can’t take good care of herself but when it comes to other people she’s willing to go an extra mile just to assure that everything goes well.

But love is unconditional for Nayeon.

It’s about time that she does something for Jihyeon out of the soccer field.

/

Being a mother is hard.

Nayeon won’t go into the hardships of the hows of raising a kid because she’s still in the act itself. But effort alone to always tend to someone be it the need to feed, bath, or change Jihyeon’s diaper, no matter how frustrating it is when Jihyeon cries out of the blue and how tiring it is to put the child to sleep, to see Jihyeon well and happy gratifies Nayeon so much. There’s something fulfilling about being able to make someone you love happy.

And all of that is just the tip of the iceberg to being one.

She can’t compare it to anything at all – it naturally surpasses them.

She wonders if her sister is proud of her and Jihyeon that they’ve made it this far, thriving and slowly putting each piece together. When Jihyeon was first born Nayeon had been ecstatic, too eager to be able to hold the baby in her own arms and cradle it as gently as she can. She even stayed at the hospital for days until she can properly see both her sister and Jihyeon.

Happiness is what Nayeon felt when she first burst through the doors seeing her sister holding Jihyeon in her arms while they both sleep. They were peaceful.

And now that Nayeon has Jihyeon in her own arms, sleeping soundly because it’s past her bedtime already, it isn’t unlikely that she and her sister had felt the same – the warmth that it offers to soften their heart and soothe their worries, Jihyeon has that effect.

/

Jeongyeon had been fussing ever since they boarded the cab back at campus. Being a worrywart is a rare side to the midfielder but the mere thought of seeing and actually playing with Nayeon’s baby is such a bizarre idea. But not in a bad way – it’s just that she’s never really thought that I’d come this earlier that they’ll be playing with Nayeon’s kid.

“Oh my god!” Jeongyeon cries. “Does she like being held? What the hell am I going to do if I drop her? Chaeyou-“

Chaeyoung pushes her friend’s face away that got too close to her, unamused to this whole fiasco that Jeongyeon is pulling. “If you’re going to be like this for sure the kid won’t even want to breathe near you.”

Momo laughs. Her first time with Jihyeon was unexpected. Never did she imagine that she’d see Nayeon holding a kid and then giving the child utmost care as if she isn’t a rough player on the field. Maybe it was because the situation was so out of the blue that Momo had not felt panicked around the child.

Jihyeon is adorable in every possible way that Momo can think of.

(Except the part that she’s too active and has longer stamina than her. Gosh it was so tiring to run after the girl for a solid hour!)

The words “We’re here” freaked Jeongyeon out even more when she sees Nayeon approaching the cab with Jihyeon clutching at Nayeon’s dress.

And with Jihyeon next to Jeongyeon, the girl is tiny. Tinier than Chaeyoung it’s scary but at the same time adorable. Chaeyoung squeals in delight that the thought of asking Nayeon if she could carry Jihyeon slipped past her mind and directly went to scoop the little girl in her arms.

Never did Chaeyoung feel so tall.

“I love her already!” Jihyeon, using her short arms and tiny hands, pushes Chaeyoung’s face away – somehow the universe’s way to get back at her in behalf of Jeongyeon earlier at the car.

Momo stifles her laugh. “Sure, Chaeyoung.”

Jihyeon at the age of two already has her favorites and knows which aunt to go to. Has her arms out and about reaching for her aunt Momo.

“Not bad,” chimes Nayeon as Momo takes Jihyeon away from Chaeyoung’s hold. Jihyeon shows clear favoritism in how high pitched her giggles are and how her short arms automatically lock themselves around Momo’s neck in attempt to embrace her.

“Told you,” Momo smiles cheekily. “I’m her favorite aunt!”

Chaeyoung pouts, trailing behind Momo as they enter the house. “That’s because you’re holding the bag full of snacks!” The short forward looks back and sees Jeongyeon stuck again. “Oi! Can you stop freezing every single time! Get in here!”

Nayeon slaps Jeongyeon at the shoulder effectively bringing her senses back then urges her to follow them inside before she locks the door. Nayeon really won’t hesitate to lock the door even if it’s Yoo Jeongyeon.

“Wait up!”

/

“Jihyeon wait up!” She huffs trying to catch her breath.

Jeongyeon faces the harsh reality of babysitting kids- a kid. Specifically one that’s named Jihyeon. She’s adorable, yes, but she’s also going to be the cause of Jeongyeon passing out from always being asked to run after the kid (not to mention Jihyeon’s bad habit of pulling her hair). Jeongyeon swears that this kid has a hidden vendetta against her. The way that she’s the only one that gets her hair pulled while Chaeyong and Momo gets the cute little hugs? Something is fishy.

“Oi Im Nayeon! Did you influence Jihyeon to attack me? I swear the two of you are scary similar!”

And that’s how it would be like most of the time they would visit Nayeon and Jihyeon. Every time they do, they make sure that not only Jihyeon is the one smiling all throughout but also Nayeon because there’s nothing more rewarding to see your friend content and happy.

The visits are always scheduled on Fridays and if they can’t make it they make way on Saturday. Life back at campus is very much the same, nothing has changed though the deduction of Nayeon from their daily lives becomes a little too loud and obvious whenever there’s a moment of silence and when they find themselves looking for a deafening voice that’s used to shout for Jeongyeon’s name asking her for a water bottle.

Nayeon has to give Momo credit for fitting in her limited time to still drop by and visit Jihyeon – the kid literally sees her favorite aunt at least thrice a week and doesn’t fail to bring her snacks that she loves nibbling on.

“I hope you’re not pulling an Im Nayeon card on your coach.” Says Nayeon because to see Momo visit so frequently can mean a rift in her schedule.

“It’s fine. Oh and did you know it’s sponsorship day for us swimmers next week!” A bright smile pops out containing high hopes and sureness at the opportunity about to be hers.

Nayeon lights up as well at the good news – sponsors are always a big help for a thriving athlete.

“Just have to sign it and I’ll be over to treat Jihyeon to a feast!”

“You’re spoiling my baby too much, Momo. That’s not good for child development.”

Momo waves her friend off, confident that Jihyeon will grow up just fine.

/

Mina had been pacing around the room for quite some time now, nervous of what will be the outcome of today’s agenda mainly because her record is not on par to be considered as an automatic choice of sponsors. Had she won first on her previous match she’d be walking like breeze around the building.

But she did not so here comes the consequence that’s overthinking coupled with the annoying anxiety that has decided to settle and accompany her.

The selection goes as each one of them gets called to the office. You sit down with your coach and have a little chit chat to ease whatever demons are bothering you, then when the situation deems fit and appropriate, your coach would pull out a paper that contains all the terms and agreements regarding your sponsor. If he doesn’t pull one out, you’re out of the game. It’s as simple as that but the anxiety that comes before it is no joke.

Sponsorship is either everything or nothing to athletes. They either get out of college with someone to back them out or the struggle to keep your game.

Mina’s turn finally comes after one dejected girl comes out sulking and obviously trying to hold back the tears that are pooling around her eyes. Mina wishes she won’t suffer the same faith.

She goes in and sits down as planned, fidgets with her fingers because apparently there’s nothing left to do but wait for her coach to speak up and talk his way.

“You’ve improved for the past months, beaten your record twice. Are you proud of that?”

Mina, during those gruesome months of torture, can finally say that she’s improved. Yes, it’s going to take the longest time possible for her to get out of an environment made toxic by herself but it’s worth it. The question proposed to her does not feel like an attack anymore, not to her insecurities at that.

So, yes. Mina is proud.

She nods, still toying with her fingers because she’s not seeing any paper being pulled out right now.

“Myoui Mina, shining jewel of the water world. That sounds nice especially when media and your peers acknowledge that, isn’t that right?” She doesn’t comment on it. “You’ve had your own share of mistakes and false starts in swimming, nothing new since everyone does that, but after all of that do you still think you’re worthy of the title?”

Worth.

It’s pretty simple to define the word: the value of something or someone. But to be worthy, Mina feels like Thor is knocking at her window asking this question at her, goes under a different definition. To be worthy is subjective. People say that she is, in fact, worthy of all of this.

Mina is learning. To be worthy is up to her and in that quick moment of reflection, Nayeon flashes in her mind.

“I kind of am.”

He raises a brow in question, “Kind of?”

Mina, for one, is difficult to assess. Whatever that runs inside that mind of hers, it’s hard to crack right through it unless she herself reveals it.

“Taking that as a yes instead, Miss Myoui.” He says and finally pulls out the papers with the lines “Terms and Conditions” and “Official Sponsor” clearly printed in bold letters it’s hard to miss.

“I want you to read from start to end, understand before you sign. If there’s something that you don’t agree of or understand come see me. Myoui you’ve earned this but I have to warn you that if you don’t maintain your standing now your sponsor might drop you. They don’t want incompetent athletes under their name.”

Yet Mina is being signed to this agreement which ultimately means that she’s not that incompetent. She has yet to be dropped to become one.

Mina comes out of the office keeping the folder where the contract is safely kept, a smile that she knows won’t go anytime soon.

A subordinate of hers approaches, brows furrowed together. “Have you seen Hirai?”

“Is something wrong?”

She frowns as she firmly places her hands on both sides of her hips. “I haven’t seen her all day and she’s supposed to be signed by now. I’m just worried. If she misses this it’s going to take her another year to get a sponsor to back her career up.”

Her smile does not last long. Momo has helped her even when she’s had to deal with Mina’s whirlwind of emotions and actions and for her to go missing on the day of sponsorship Mina does not hesitate bolting out of the building, run straight to the dorms and to Momo’s door knocking on it furiously.

“Momo? Are you there?”

Hearing no response, she pulls out her phone and punches in her best friend’s number. Still, Mina knocks on the door that maybe Momo is fast asleep and hopefully she’ll wake up.

The person you are trying to reach is unable to take your call. Try again later.

Mina dials the number again. Now she’s reached her room, she drops the folder on her desk – that can wait until tomorrow.

The person you are trying to reach is unable to take your call. Try-

Walking out of the dorm, Mina pathetically searches for the athlete, phone still pressed to her ear waiting for her call to come through.

The person you are trying to reach is unable-

She dials Momo again. Knows that it’s the biggest risk to even go near the field because seeing Nayeon is not an option.

But thankfully she doesn’t. Nayeon is nowhere around the campus.

The call gets in.

“Hello?”

Mina sighs – god where the hell is this girl?

“Momo do you even remember what day it is today? It’s sponsorship day! Where are you?” She vents because Mina cannot possibly think of a reason that’s more important than an athlete getting sponsored.

She hears a child giggle, though faint, Mina cannot be mistaken. She presses the phone closer to her ear.

“Who are you with?”

Then comes in a whine that confirms Mina’s suspicion.

“Momo are you with a kid?”

It takes a couple of seconds and grunts before Momo answers. “Ow! Hey- sorry Mina, yeah I am. Is everything alright there?”

“Are you alright? Where are you I’m going there!”

“No, um I don’t think that’s necessary.” Momo tries playing it safe. (Fails because she grunts out another Ow from Jihyeon pulling at her hair.)

“Text me the address or I’m not signing my sponsorship.”

That was unfair to Momo, a call that’s low because Mina knows that Momo is well aware of how important it is to Mina getting a sponsor. Mina knows her cards now and she is playing them (though unfair) in a way she can get Momo.

“You are not doing that!”

“Try me.”

Momo gives up because Mina won’t let this matter go that easily when they’ve both dreamed and strived to get sponsors of their own.

Yet the turmoil still persists because not even after an hour, there’s a knock on the door and before she could race past Nayeon, the soccer player had already made her way and open the door to a puzzled Myoui Mina, head leaning to the side to get a glimpse of what’s happening inside the house.

Nayeon is equally shocked and perplexed to Mina’s sudden appearance at her doorstep – how did she get here? And she looks back at Momo whose eyes are both shaking and unsure of what to do with this compromise.

Mina is pushed outside, Nayeon’s hand at her shoulder while the order closes the door behind her and whatever was running inside Nayeon’s mind right now, Mina does not want to know.

“Let me talk to Momo.” The swimmer firmly states, pushing past Nayeon’s hold on her but to no avail she gets nowhere.

“Calm down I’m going to explain this,” Nayeon stresses and after months of not seeing Mina she’s back to same old feeling back when they were at her room.

“Momo can handle herself Nayeon so let me go talk to her!”

“She’s signed the contract okay!” The sudden outburst catches them both out of guard. That Mina has to step back and look Nayeon in eyes despite how difficult it is to see the person you swore moved on and forgot you.

“Then what the hell is she doing here?”

If it weren’t for the fist punching at her shoulder Nayeon would’ve noticed and felt the aggression laced in Mina’s words, how devastated and betrayed she is to see her best friend with her doing god knows what. Would’ve heard the pain that Mina swore was gone but boy does Nayeon’s presence prove her wrong. Again.

“If you’re not going to tell me I’m going in-“

So much for waiting.

“Momo came after she’s signed her contract this morning and – my god Mina this is not what you think it is. She came to visit Jihyeon there’s nothing going on between her and I!”

Then in front of her when the door closes again, a little girl is reaching her arms out to Nayeon wanting to get carried and all Mina can do is watch Nayeon nuzzle herself to the girl as if she wasn’t just shouting.

“This is Jihyeon,” as if Nayeon can read her thoughts. “She was my sister’s but I adopted her after… And I swear Momo’s only intention is to visit her. Trust me I would’ve told you about Jihyeon but things didn’t go our way, did it?” And then Nayeon looks at her with pleading eyes. “Please – just calm down for the sake of Jihyeon. I don’t want her to get startled or anything.”

In front of Myoui Mina is Im Nayeon holding a child named Jihyeon and carrying her like she’s her world and it feels like the world is out to get Mina for all her wrongdoings and for all the time she misunderstood Nayeon and Momo.

Nayeon holds Jihyeon and with her free hand, she holds out to Mina effectively bringing her down back to her senses.

“I know it’s a lot to take in but I want you to try and calm down.”

It’s as if Jihyeon’s presence is the source of Nayeon’s sudden calm outlook, every ounce of her previous emotions washed away with the simplest appearance of the girl.

“Can I just please see Momo.” Begs Mina.

With a frown, knowing that prolonging this won’t get Nayeon anywhere, she turns her back to Mina and calls for Mom – she now stands in place of Im Nayeon.

“She told you?” asks Momo.

Mina nods, understanding that bit of information. She grits her teeth, a scowl vibrating through. “All this time you were seeing Nayeon and you didn’t tell me?”

Dead beat silence resonates between the two swimmers, eyes boring into each other.

“I’m sorry but I hate to say this but what the hell are you exactly going to do if I did tell you I’m seeing Nayeon? Are you going to finally talk to her? Stop hating me for being a friend to her? Mina I haven’t brought up anything about Nayeon these past months because I know how she affects you and who the hell am I to break the progress you’ve been making? I’m not selfish, Mina.”

And Mina is painfully aware of that. That Hirai Momo, her best friend, is anything but selfish.

“Unless you’re ready to settle your differences with Nayeon then I will gladly make way for you. Nayeon is my friend and I hope that at least you still see her as one, if not then at least try to be. The two of you have more talking to do than you do with me. Nayeon is on a break and you won’t see her anywhere in the campus so might as well use that to your advantage.”

“I came here because I was worried you weren’t signing your sponsorship,” Mina utters.

“Thanks, but you should worry about yours. Mina if you haven’t realized it yet, you have nothing to be insecure about. You have the skill, a ing sponsor, and Nayeon. God do you even know how that kid raps about you all night when you first got along?”

Momo hopes she’s getting her point across with all this stupid talk that she’s throwing out because she’s done and putting an end to this waiting game between her friends. And as much as she knows, Mina is well. Better but still rough at the edges. And Nayeon is more than capable of accepting Mina into her life again.

They both are.

“And if it’s any consolation to you, Nayeon won’t be going anywhere. You know where to find her I just hope you don’t chicken out again.”

/

The contract had been read and signed, passed and now Mina’s left with the concern that’s Im Nayeon.

Mina hates how Momo can always find her weakest point and use that to twist the situation around her and she hates how Momo is so selfless that when Mina had approached her earlier today to talk, Momo had smiled at her – taken aback of how genuine it is as if they weren’t close to crying yesterday. Yet when Momo had pulled her in for a hug, Mina can never really hate her best friend.

And honestly after all the she’s put Momo through, if it were still a thing, Mina would print Momo a certificate that says Best Best Friend and even put it in a frame for Momo to hang somewhere in her room. If only they were still kids that the only problem that they have to mind is what games they’re going to play for the entire day and to not get in trouble that’s going to get them scolded for.

Momo had only hinted that before they graduate and go on their separate careers, she’d like to see Mina and Nayeon together without the unnecessary tears and words being spit at each other.

That was… too much. At least for now.

/

“Pause,” Jeongyeon momentarily suspends her hand from shoving the last handful of chips to . “Mina was here?”

“You think she’s going to get back with Nayeon?” Chaeyoung takes the opportunity to steal the bag of chips and dumps all of its remains into . Jeongyeon kicks her at the leg. “Ow! That hurts you know!”

“There’s no getting back when there is no relationship to begin with, is there?” Jeongyeon turns to Nayeon who was sprawled out on the other side of the couch, exhausted from getting Jihyeon to sleep.

“Well, we did kiss…”

“BIG PAUSE!” Jeongyeon twists her body to face Nayeon – quite literally because this is the first time she’s heard about this and then she looks back at Chaeyoung, having history of keeping secrets from her that only she and Nayeon knows. “Do you know about this?”

Chaeyoung denies, face as confused as Jeongyeon. “No? Do you?”

“THE TWO OF YOU KISSED!” the midfielder fusses, arms up in the air to exaggerate how betrayed and shocking it is that Nayeon was able to keep this much of information all to herself and not tell a single soul?

“Oh my god Nayeon,” Jeongyeon frowns, annoyed at the revelation. “The two of you kissed!” She repeats, eyes wide to emphasize how much of a big deal that is.

“Since the two of you are still living the high school love line and won’t see what’s supposed to be seen, the kiss literally hold the two of you together! I mean, for Mina to kiss you, god Nayeon you are so dumb!”

“Why the hell am I dumb?”

“Because!”

Chaeyoung momentarily pauses to watch two of her friends dance around vague words and ideas, somehow distasteful because it should’ve been obvious by now.

“What Jeongyeon is trying to say: Mina isn’t the type of girl that goes around kissing a dumb soccer player and for her to actually do it, she must be into that dumb soccer player. And yes, I mean you Nayeon. For someone who claims that Mina doesn’t love you anymore, or in any way want you around, we both know you still have a shot at this.”

Nayeon frowns, arm resting on top of her forehead that very much feels like the world is weighing her down. “You both know what happened: tears, pain, and more tears.”

“Well that’s because you two are acting like high school students!” Jeongyeon perks up. “Two of you didn’t talk the right things out, fell into a hole of miscommunication and wrong signals, and here we currently have two athletes pining with each other. Seriously stop acting as if the two of you ended on a very very bad note when in fact the two of you could still have the much needed reconciliation.”

Not a second passes and a throw pillow that’s sized twice as big as Chaeyoung’s head hits Jeongyeon straight in the face, courtesy of Im Nayeon at the other side of the couch. “I prefer you as the emotional support friend.”

Jeongyeon throws the pillow back at the athlete. “And I prefer you not crying over about Mina when you could be holding her hand and doing all the stupid couples do.”

“Did you know how quick Jeongyeon was to your crying face after you left campus? Good times.” Chaeyoung adds.

“ you Jeongyeon!”

The midfielder shrugs, unfazed. “Should be Mina not me, just saying.”

/

“Are you seriously not going to at least shove it in my face that I’m a bad friend?” Mina has been following Momo around the building and no it’s not because she’s feeling insecure or any of that negativity rather to further confirm her resolve (that’s already been confirmed twice by Momo) between their friendship. You know, just to be sure.

Momo snickers. She slings an arm around Mina’s shoulder and pulls her in for a side hug as they trudge together out of the pool area. “Will you stop if I say yes?”

“But Momo,” Mina whines.

“I told you already, we’re good and you’re good. Now if you don’t stop whining, you’ll have to sponsor my snacks.”

Just like that Mina is dragged towards the nearest convenience store with an empty basket in hand while Momo takes the lead in surveying the snack aisle and dumping her favored snacks into the basket.

“You don’t even like these snacks!” Mina retorts as the amount of snacks pile up the more they spend time in this aisle.

Momo smiles at her, and knows – gosh she just knows that Momo is up to no good again and she hates that she can’t see through her best friend’s mind.

“All of these are not for me,” She starts and then dumps another box of soft biscuits into the basket. Looking into the pile of snacks, they’re mostly chewable and soft enough for babies to consume. “This is for you.”

“For me?”

Momo nods. “Yeah, for you to deliver to Jihyeon because she loves all of these.”

“You’re setting me up again! And you’re doing it again in a convenience store, do you ever change?” Mina pouts and another box goes into the basket.

“In the name of love? No, I don’t think I will. So you better drop some snacks for Nayeon in there while we’re at it because we’ll be visiting them today.”

“And if I don’t want to go?” Mina challenges, setting the basket down to cross her arms over her chest as if to assert authority.

Momo pulls a card and Mina can’t believe that Momo had the time and hands to steal her credit card. God, so that’s why she was pulling Mina into her earlier.

“Your choice,” Momo grins knowing that she’s won another battle.

“You are unbelievable!”

“And you are going to meet and play with the best kid so might as well win not only her heart but the other one as well,” Momo giggles. “Oh sorry, you’ve already won it before. My bad! I guess it’s just Jihyeon that you need to woo.”

And Mina thought that Momo is harmless. That she would drag her anywhere but danger but here she is at the cashier holding two equally filled plastic bags as Momo pays for the bill with her stolen credit card. Not that the card is anything special, or it’s literally a black card because that’s how Mina grew up with. She’d drop these bags all at once but Momo just had to be sneaky with her.

Which then brings the two of them inside a cab personally hailed by Momo (had an irritable time with it because of all the annoying grin and looks that Momo kept sending her way) and off they go to Nayeon’s house.

Mina had been here before and to find herself walking down the same path, just with two plastic bags on each hand this time around, there is that looming tension around the air and she isn’t sure if it’s strictly within her radius.

Momo knocks once, twice, sending Mina into a spiraling panic that would cost her another up front with Im Nayeon. The door creaks open and Nayeon emerges from behind, happy, upon seeing Momo. Happy is then replaced with uncertainty the quick moment she catches of Mina.

Nevertheless, Nayeon lets the two in and even offers to carry the bags each on Mina’s hands once Momo had announced they were all snacks for Jihyeon to nibble on.

“Here,” Nayeon slips her hand into Mina’s, wary but it gets the task done and now she carries the other bag. “You two didn’t have to buy so much for Jihyeon.”

“Where’s my favorite kid anyway?”

A cry echoes through the rooms.

“That’s her.” Says Momo as she spares Mina a look compelling her to follow behind and situate herself within the couch.

Nayeon emerges again, cries have died down, and Jihyeon is perched on her arm while the other is busy wiping the tears and mucus that had trailed down the little girl’s face. Although messy, Mina finds the whole act endearing that reminds her of home.

“Jihyeon calm down!” Nayeon giggles, amused at how the kid can instantaneously transform from a crying baby with a runny nose to a hyper jumping ball of sunshine.

Momo stifles her laugh, carefully watches as the scene unfold before her. With Jihyeon staring up curiously at Mina with her doe eyes that are still fresh from crying, the kid holds a staring contest with the least kid-friendly person in the room.

Mina is not good with kids. At all.

She looks at Momo for support, anything that could help her with the undying head on staring contest with the child. But to no avail Momo could only leave her alone with Nayeon and Jihyeon as her phone had unceremoniously rang and that it was from their coach.

“Hi?” Mina says unsure and far from knowledgeable from the hows of communicating with a two-year-old.

To even further prove her inexperience with children, Jihyeon reaches out and tries to climb on Mina’s lap hoping that the pretty stranger would carry her. Mina helplessly struggles to hold the child properly and it does more damage when Jihyeon pulls at her hair to get leverage.

“Nayeon?” She calls for help because she does not want to be accountable if anything happens to Jihyeon. A bad example would be dropping the kid to the ground because of her expertise in being a bad babysitter.

“A little help?”

Entertainment can come later. In her struggle to hold Jihyeon properly, Nayeon comes to her side to aid to her lapses with childcare. Removing and then placing Mina’s arms to the right place, the swimmer now holds the child in her arms free from hair pulling and the uncomfortable position they were in earlier. Thanks to Nayeon.

“I know you want to laugh,” Mina frowns, a pout on her lips. She can easily tell that Nayeon is holding a fit, smiling a little too wide at her and a hand pinching at her thigh in a miserable attempt to calm herself down.

“No no keep it up.” Yet Nayeon’s lips twitch.

“Mama,” Jihyeon calls, doe eyes still trained on Mina and hands gripping the athlete’s collar with her small hands to keep herself steady and close with the pretty stranger.

“Yes baby?”

“Mmm pretty!”

Unlike her reserved Mama, Jihyeon dives straight and noses Mina’s neck, finding comfort and warmth now that the pretty stranger holds her closer. Mina, surprised by this, stares at Nayeon.

“She is,” Nayeon confirms laced with admiration and obvious portrayal that not a day did she not think about of the athlete. It’s still there.

“Her name is Mina, Jihyeon.” She says softly. “She’s really pretty, huh?”

Peeking with one eye while the other remains pressed to Mina’s neck, Jihyeon speaks, “Mina prettier!”

Nayeon grins. “Looks like Momo won’t be Jihyeon’s favorite aunt anymore.”

“Says who?” Momo chirps, finished with her phone call. She carries two boxes of biscuits, one already opened and between her fingers ready to be gulped down while the other is pit between her underarm.

“Says Jihyeon.” Nayeon rolls her eyes and then snatches the unopened box from the swimmer, shakes it once then rips the glued parts apart effectively gaining Jihyeon’s attention. The child happily receives the bite sized biscuit, nibbling on it as her baby hand holds onto the biscuit.

Still, Mina should’ve asked for Momo to hold Jihyeon instead yet she holds onto the kid. Even her hair gently from time to time.

Mina is not an expert with kids yet when Jihyeon shifts and tries to climb back up again, Mina lets her.

“I’m going to get really jealous if I’m not your favorite aunt anymore, Jihyeon.” Momo jokes, pounding at her chest as if to prove a point to a clueless kid.

“Jihyeon loves good people.” Nayeon states.

“And Jeongyeon isn’t it? She was pulling at her hair the moment the kid saw her. My god she even ignored Chaeyoung until she gave her a treat and a piggyback.”

That was a fun time for them, a good laugh coupled with shrieks of pain from all the hair pulling caused by the little kid.  Jeongyeon was unfortunately the receiver of it with Chaeyoung closely following behind.

“You should’ve seen them Mina!” Momo slumps down beside her best friend, hand automatically caressing the kid’s soft cheek.

Momo holds out both of her hands to Jihyeon, an invitation for her to switch (and maybe a trial to prove that she’s still Jihyeon’s favorite aunt). When Jihyeon stays and nuzzles even closer to Mina, it was the first battle the Mina had waged and won easily. Not that Momo was slightly upset that the child was quick to change favorites like changing her diapers, but that was such an honest and strong answer from a kid.

And then not long after lounging at the couch, they had gone out to take Jihyeon for a walk at the park. Nayeon occasionally lets Jihyeon walk on her two feet, giving the child freedom to steer their group to whichever direction she’s going to waddle to, watches her with a tender gaze that Mina assumes only a mother would have. She doesn’t fully understand but when Nayeon speeds up in hurry before Jihyeon could trip, tells her that it’s okay and even kisses the top of her head, Mina can learn.

Momo thinks she’s served her purpose, the steady and sole focus of Mina on the loving duo in front of them instead of her emotions eating her up. As if in deep thoughts, Momo presumes Mina is going to give it a try at least.

/

The next time that Jihyeon gets visitors it’s on a Saturday afternoon with noisy Chaeyoung crashing into the house effectively destroying the peaceful slumber of a child and a still reserved Mina following behind the smaller athlete. She says she’s going in place of Momo but Chaeyoung knows better. But she lets Mina have her quiet fun.

Nayeon later excuses herself to the grocery to buy necessities for Jihyeon.

Tell Chaeyoung or Jeongyeon that Mina’s only been here for the third time and that she’s only held Jihyeon twice she’d be making a fuss of how brutally unfair and honest the kid is when it comes to her favorites. Her hope of being Jihyeon’s favorite aunt slowly fading in the dark as new competition rises up in the name of Myoui Mina.

She has to double take because Mina is in no serious way not awkward handling the child yet the child reaches out for her again and again that leaves the athlete carrying her, hugging her, and even accompanying the child on the carpeted floor because Jihyeon had pulled her down with her.

They’re currently playing with building blocks and Chaeyoung has her fun with keeping Jihyeon busy nibbling on her favorite biscuit. It’s adorable, almost like feeding a baby rabbit.

“How are you and Nayeon coming along?”

Chaeyoung is not one to be discreet. If Nayeon danced along vagueness, Chaeyoung would be the one stopping the music to tell Nayeon not to. It’s funny when Nayeon is the one whose usually direct and forward with her thoughts (Chaeyoung still remembers that one time Nayeon had hurt her feelings but all is good now) yet when it comes to Myoui Mina it’s like Nayeon is reborn as someone uncharacteristically new. 

“Not close.” Mina answer simply.

Chaeyoung slowly bobs. “And Jihyeon? Don’t tell me you also bribed the kid with snacks? Momo did just that and won her favor.”

Mina giggles, shaking her head.

“Can’t believe I have another aunt to compete with! Did you know how this kid pushed my face away the first time we met?” says Chaeyoung but contrary to her words she gazes at Jihyeon with fondness.

“Jihyeon is very lovable.”

So is Im Nayeon.

Mina was right that they were going too fast. Though they didn’t crash and burn, she wouldn’t be here if they did. And all the times Mina had argued with her heart and mind, it taught her to believe that this time around they have to take it slow for things to fall perfectly like how autumn leaves do.

/

“Oh it’s just you today?” Nayeon holds the door open for Mina, letting her in as she usually would.

Every time Nayeon does and Mina walks in, it’s a new chance for Mina to get to know Nayeon better. And every time Mina walks past Nayeon all she sees is a woman that’s certainly defeated a handful of demons, painted her walls new but never brought them down. It’s better that way, Nayeon can settle with it.

She’s asked for a friend in Mina, a fantastic job in doing so she may  add, but as her visits became frequent to the point that she no longer needs Momo by her side or any of their friends, that Mina can sit comfortably at the couch, Nayeon hopelessly wishes that Mina is here for something more.

Jihyeon is asleep.

At times like this Nayeon would prepare a snack that would hopefully last them for one whole movie while Mina shifts around the couch until she’s on her side, an arm propped to support her head while the other surfs through the channels and available movies. They both can’t say that this is a permanent thing, or a casual one, because they’ve only done this twice. This being the second time.

The first one was with their three other friends. Things were different back then, much like now.

 Nayeon would sit one pillow away from Mina, just in case. Because the last time they were alone, quoting what Mina had said “things didn’t end well” and Nayeon won’t risk such a thing again. If only it turned out to be like this before. But here they are and no complaints leave Nayeon’s mouth, only crisp and crunchy nachos enter instead.

“How’s training going for you?”

Is Nayeon’s to-go question whenever she would find herself alone with Mina.

“It’s tiring, the usual.”

Is one of the many common responses that Mina would reply with.

They let the conversation die just like that, enough that they don’t fall into their own territory of solidarity. For now, they can exist as two individuals that find comfort in each other without much talk.

But Nayeon knows that talking would get them to places they want to be.

/

Fast forward to another week, Nayeon takes Jihyeon and Mina on another walk at the park. Nothing too out of the blue. Nothing out of their relationship.

Earlier before coming to Nayeon’s house, Momo had been pestering Mina, annoyingly doting on her and nagging that it’s about time she and Nayeon get over this whole phase of acting like ex-girlfriends when they aren’t in the first place. Though Momo is right in every sense, Mina is content that even though the progress is slow, they’re here together. That was something.

It’s currently past 4 PM. The shadows from the tree casts over the greenery, perfect for setting up a picnic blanket which Mina takes care of while Nayeon lulls Jihyeon to sleep in the afternoon haze. 

One would say that from afar they look ideal, which is true to some extent. Two supposedly lovers enjoying the afternoon with their child. Ideal, yes, but then again only to the extent if it were real.

What matters is the now. That even after convincing herself that she no longer deserves to be with Mina (cracks deeper with each visit that Mina takes), Nayeon has not changed one thing that is still fawning over how her beautiful constellations are perfectly aligned. She in a gasp when Mina flutters her eyes to her direction and again Nayeon is back to wandering around the large scape that is not Mina. She’s not nervous, just caught off guard is all.

She thanks Jihyeon for existing between them, a bridge that still connects them together and an excuse for the athlete to keep coming back and visit. Would rather use this as free pass instead of coming up with ridiculous ideas to keep showing at Im Nayeon’s front door.

“When are you going back to campus?” Mina leans back, both her arms behind her to support her weight. She watches the quiet and peaceful rise and fall of Jihyeon’s chest.

“Some time. I’ll let them miss me first before I do, you know get a taste of how great of accompany I am.” Nayeon jokes.

The sun should be gazing down at them. To Mina the sun specifically hits its rays to Nayeon, swears that the she glows even more with the sun peeking through the rustling branches and leaves highlighting the best parts of Nayeon.

“I’m going to miss Jihyeon after this,” confesses Nayeon with solemn eyes. All breaks have to come to an end unfortunately.

“You know when you’re a kid and you get attached to something then all you do is sulk and cry after that something gets taken away from you? It’s pretty much the same with Jihyeon.”

Mina knows that feeling well, looks at the tender Nayeon Jihyeon’s hair.

“What about you and your sponsor? How’s it coming along?”

Mina lights up, a grin on her lips. “It’s good,” she starts, a little too excited to share all at once. “I’ve got offers aside from the first one I got and they’re suggesting that I train for the National team.”

“Looks like I’ll be seeing my favorite swimmer on telly soon, won’t I? I’m proud of you. You’ve come so far Mina.”

She nods. Yeah, she did.

“Don’t forget me and Jihyeon if you get too popular and you have everyone sending heart eyes at you. I’m gonna have to brag that I know you personally,” She winks.

Only if that didn’t paint red on Mina’s cheeks.

“Myoui Mina and Im Nayeon, the bestest of friends! Together they conquer the sports industry,” Nayeon daydreams, a not too farfetched idea. 

“You got one mistake there, superstar.” Mina comments.

Knows that she wants more than just bestest of friends.

“Not that it matters as long as we’re together, yeah?”

Knows they can’t stay just as the bestest of friends.

“Do you have this all planned out don’t you? I can’t believe I’m friends with a sociopath!”

Nayeon chuckles. “You’re friends with Im Nayeon, someone who likes you a lot – she’s kind of a pain in the but you gotta deal with that until she dies.”

“You like me a lot?” Mina bares the gummiest smile she could, turning to face Im Nayeon, vibrant hazel eyes coming to life with the sun to amplify it.

“Yeah and it’s kind of a loophole with the bestest of friends agenda that I have in mind.”

“What exactly do you have in mind?”

Nayeon stares at her – at her moles especially the one that’s around her lips. That Mina knows because it’s the same look Nayeon had back at the rooftop.

“How about we discuss this over some convenience store noodles instead?”

“Now?”

“Not now,” Nayeon puts on another smile, thrilled that this is steering to the right path. “A little later? After I put Jihyeon to bed. Mommy duties.”

Sure, mommy duties.

They are not going to say it out loud that they’ve managed to set themselves a date.  Instead they agree on it wordlessly, just giggles and a couple of exchanged looks that hold the same sentiment as the other.

/

It puts a smile to her face to see Nayeon all giddy and smiley as she puts on her university jacket, remember the same smile when Nayeon had gotten into the soccer team. She’s arrived an hour earlier after Nayeon had called, thinking it was an emergency concerning Jihyeon, Nayeon’s aunt came to the rescue. But Nayeon is bad at trying to make it look like she isn’t going on a date.

“You’re not out there to impress your date?” She says referring to the simple get up that Nayeon settled for.

The door is already open and Nayeon looks back, “She’s not the type to get impressed by stupid things.”

“Your kind of stupid is impressive, you know.”

She smiles, no way denying that it isn’t. “Thanks for coming tonight. I really appreciate it.”

“Anything for family, Nayeon. Now go,” She shoos the soccer player out of the door. “You don’t want to keep your date waiting.”

Certainly.

They both waited far too long.

/

“Hey Mina,” Nayeon cringes at her obvious enthusiasm to finally see Mina. “You’re still at the dorm? Alright I’m on my way there anyway. I’ll wait for you at the lounge.”

(And yes, Nayeon finally has Mina’s number saved in her phone.)

The breeze hits Nayeon again tonight. It’s light almost as if how things are going her way, from the awkward visits to walks in the park that agonizingly challenges her not to hold Mina’s hand every time they brush against each other. Her steps are light and bouncy.

The campus greets her again. Soon she’ll be here running and training again like the old times with Jeongyeon and Chaeyoung. But for now, she races herself to the dorms, greets the security at the front desk that still remembers who she is (frankly Nayeon doesn’t remember him), and then she’s at the pantry to steal Jeongyeon’s labelled bottle water. She tucks it back in maybe Jeongyeon won’t notice she’s had half of it.

She considers knocking at her friends’ door but knowing the ruckus they could stir especially when Mina comes around at the lounge looking like someone who holds Nayeon’s heart, she decides against it.

“I hope you don’t mind convenience store noodles,” She greets.

“Can’t say I’m not tired of it.”

With a million-watt smile emitting from Nayeon, just like how she did at the supposedly dinner party, she takes Mina by the wrist and the flashes starts again.

 (“I knew it! Something is going on between that swimmer and Nayeon!” Sana pumps her hand up – another correct intuition under her name.

“My radar never fails me, my gosh.” She says.

“Your radar never fails you because?” Jeongyeon asks coming in late missing all the good stuff that’s happened between her two friends. “Sana last time I checked, you said Dahyun is into you but it turns out that archery girl is all about her sport and zero of women.”

“Are you saying I’m not credible?” Sana challenges, a brow raised trying to assert that she is correct.

“Got any proof?”

“That swimmer friend of Nayeon-“

Jeongyeon interrupts just in case she misunderstands, “Mina?” 

“Yeah, her. Bet you she’ll come home wearing your friend’s letterman.”

Sana puts dibs on it already. With the night breeze only getting colder and that Mina’s getup is poor to insufficient to keep her warm, it’s a win-win situation.

“Your friend Chaeyoung has to give me Dahyun’s number if I’m right.” She smirks.

“As if you’re going to win,” Jeongyeon taunts.

“Trust me Jeongyeon, I’m hardly wrong.”)

The streets grow colder with each passing minute. Nayeon pulls Mina closer then and when the swimmer asks if they are near the “convenience store” that Nayeon had planned to take Mina, Nayeon would simply answer that a detour is essential before going to the main event tonight. (Or Nayeon is making an excuse to hold Mina longer and Mina is glad to tolerate this kind of behavior.)

“I’ve always been curious if you think in Japanese, Korean or English,” Nayeon pipes up again with her bizarre yet creative questions, and Mina feels as though that they are slowly falling into the position now.

“But that was a weird question, huh?”

“It is,” says Mina in a feathery tone. “Are we even headed the right direction?”

They might have passed a few convenience stores along the way, purposely ignoring the well-lit signs that offers a buy one take one promo or sometimes a discount. The night is still young, or so Mina concludes without checking her watch, and Nayeon wants to spend each tick and tock holding Mina.

They pass dimly lit alleyways giggling to each other, playful shoulder bumps whenever Nayeon cracks another question, and all the things that cliché flicks have to offer involving two kids in love, then when the light finally shines upon them on the street, their hands are holding each. Fingers intertwined.

The night is young for them to be shaken out of their shared reality, fleeting moments that they both will remember as the starting foundation of something new. Whether it was the heart fluttering glow on Mina that had a massive effect on Nayeon or the pull that keeps Mina in orbit whenever Nayeon would stare at her, they decide it’s best and safe to say that in this reality they exist as one.

And when Nayeon had finally held the door open for Mina to saunter inside the convenience store, their reality is proven real and nothing out of a sci-fi fantasy movie.

There are three cups of instant noodles in front of them, though unhealthy, Nayeon has to have two cups for herself both flavored shrimp. A little spicy to the palette but nonetheless she can share it with Mina who settled for a chicken noodle cup. It’s the basic flavor but who is she to judge?

They sit outside among the other patrons that are either enjoying a quick swig of beer or just passing time by for no other reason.

Tell the Mina before that she’d end up sharing a meal with for decent amount of time with Im Nayeon she would most probably have to rethink her decisions in life of how could she break the rules that she has set within herself. The same rules that have kept her boxed and caged, left with no more room for growth.

“Where are you going?” Nayeon asks midslurp of her noodles when Mina gets up from her seat.

“Buying you banana milk,” she simply answers.

She downs the noodles and dabs on the residuals around .

“That’s not exactly the best combination to go with.” 

“Still your favorite.” Mina argues.

“Well yeah it is – alright buy two for me. I think it’ll help rinse the flavor off my tongue.”

Mina heads in the store again, a small smile perched on her lips as she scans through the different assortments of beverages lined up. She takes two banana milk out and a can of decaf iced coffee, totally not the best combination.

When Mina comes back out after paying for the drinks, she finds her seat shamelessly dragged right next to Nayeon’s and if she remembers correct her seat is supposed to be at the other end of the table. But she lets it slide the same way she’s let Nayeon held her hand.

“Your chair teleported over here,” Nayeon lies in no effort of covering up the obvious. “I was surprised to find it here beside mine actually.”

Setting down the beverages, Mina takes the seat wordlessly then stabs the banana milk open with a straw before handing it out to Nayeon. “I trust you.”

They look at each other, not even pass five seconds they burst into a fit of giggles.

The flashes didn’t show Mina this part of her with Nayeon – the one where they share infectious laughter coupled with Nayeon choking on her drink, where Mina can finally breathe without the fear of not being enough-

“You’re the best I swear,” Nayeon says after a serious fit of coughing from her drink that went down the wrong pipe, Mina patting at her back to help get rid of the small coughs that follow after.

“Have you considered staying by Nayeon’s side, you know, just in case she gets into trouble or choke on her drink again.”

She can’t help but smile at the implication of Nayeon’s words. “Are you offering me a job?” Mina jokes back.

“It’s not exactly a job – being with me, but if it is will you apply for it?”

Mina pretends to think it through, being with Nayeon. The last time she was so calculating with everything that revolved around the soccer player, it ends up as a whole mess of miscalculations of tears, pain, and more tears.

“Not sure,” Mina drags. “Are there any privileges that comes with it?”

“Which one? The bestest of friends privilege or the girlfriend privilege?”

Oh.

Mina is fazed, surprised with the upfront confrontation as Nayeon patiently waits for her answer.

“What do you suggest?”

Whilst Nayeon is having a surge of confidence that she does not know where is coming from, she’s undoubtedly having a violent turmoil inside of her to pop the question out in the open. Said turmoil is the cause of her getting lost in Mina again, eyes locking on the constellation readily available in front of her. Unknown to Mina, she patiently waits for Nayeon to answer.

Nayeon starts again. At the forehead, the two at her nose, then the remaining three around supple and tempting lips, her own heart picking a fight on who’s faster: the way her eyes flicker from Mina’s eyes to her mole or the loud pounding at her chest.

“Nayeon,” Mina calls, an attempt to get Nayeon back.

“Yeah?” she says almost breathless just from the beauty in front of her. Nayeon blinks several times, a pause then, “The girlfriend privilege is the best,” she says trying to contain the eye contact with Mina, carefully observes if she’s still on safe ground and not marching haphazardly to dangerous territory. 

“You should really take me to more dates before I become your girlfriend.”

Ideally Nayeon would’ve picked it up from there, get the whole agenda out straight (in a way she did) and that she would love to take Mina on a lot of dates but Nayeon doesn’t reply, not even when it’s time for them to go. She only holds Mina’s hand again the second time that night with their fingers intertwined as it was before.

And just like that Sana has won Dahyun’s number and Jeongyeon has to pull her cards for Chaeyoung and Dahyun to not murder her.

Mina comes home wearing Nayeon’s letterman that night.

/

“Oh my god,” Momo gasps, an exaggerated one but can you really blame her if Myoui Mina shows up at practice wearing Nayeon’s letterman? The exact same letterman that has a bold print of ‘IM’ at the back with their obnoxious university logo.

At the other side of the campus another audible gasp comes out from Jeongyeon, hand clasped at as she stares, squints her eyes, at the photo Momo sent her.

“Oh my god,” Jeongyeon repeats the same way Momo had, not without sending the same photo to Son Chaeyoung and Minatozaki Sana.

 

[Shibezaki]

9:02 I told you so!

9:03 I expect Dahyun’s number before lunch. No more, no less.

 

Shibezaki changed your nickname to “Tall, blonde, not gorgeous”

 

[Tall, blonde, not gorgeous]

9:03 you, Sana!

[Shibezaki]

9:03 Ew no

9:03 I prefer Dahyun 😉

 

Chaeyoung is quick to whip her phone out when it vibrated.

 

[David]

9:06 OH MY GOD

[Goliath]

9:06 SAME?!

9:06 But god I didn’t know Nayeon’s game is good

[David]

9:09 Jesus Jeong how can you not?

9:10 Nayeon literally had Momo

9:10 the HIRAI MOMO on bed

9:10 But that’s not important

9:10 I TOLD YOU SHE HAS A THING FOR JAPANESE CHICKS

[Goliath]

9:11 THEY’RE LITERALLY GIRLFRIENDS NOW

9:11 OH MY GOD JIHYEON HAS TWO MOMMIES NOW

9:11 THAT’S SO CUTE

[David]

9:13 This is literally Nayeon’s biggest comeback

 

Chaeyoung is not entirely wrong because when lunchtime rolls around and Jeongyeon had dragged her to the pool building where they’re supposed to meet Momo, Nayeon beat them to it as she’s already batting her eyelashes to Mina like a lovesick fool with Momo at the side having to experience being an unwanted thirdwheel.

“Oi!” Jeongyeon loudly calls as she they speed up to meet with the trio. She gives Nayeon a piece of her mind, a quick slap at the shoulder and then knuckles digging on top of her head.

“First you don’t tell us that you two kissed and now you two are going out?!” Jeongyeon complains all the while holding Nayeon down.

“You two kissed?” Momo questions almost accusatory, eyes wide feeling betrayed that she has to hear it from Jeongyeon’s mouth.

It becomes a pointing game when Mina directs her own query to Nayeon, “You told them?”

“So that’s why you were so close to losing your after the movie night! I should’ve known!”

“You wouldn’t because you were sleeping!” Mina retorts with her arms now crossed atop her chest.

Chaeyoung sighs, “Can we please just sit down together for lunch? Please.”

The small forward takes it into her own hands to peel Jeongyeon off Nayeon, albeit hard she managed to do so and off they went first towards the cafeteria with Momo following behind.

Nayeon and Mina lags behind, they don’t mind really even if they send them glares to hurry it up. With the letterman neatly folded and tucker under her arm, Mina takes Nayeon’s hand on the other. (Realistically their friends would’ve lost it right then and there but they opt to bite the inside of their cheek to stop themselves from fawning over the two.)

“Does this mean you’re returning to campus?” Mina asks.

Nayeon shrugs unsure. She smiles now that she can swing their hands.  “In a week or so. Kinda want to make the most out of this break with Jihyeon. Will you be visiting this week?”

Mina bites her lip then asks, “Do you want me to?”

“Absolutely!”

Momo playfully scowls at them, making funny faces as if cringing at the show of subtle affection. “Just a reminder to not make out in front of Jihyeon alright? We have to keep things PG around here.”

Mina rolls her eyes, “Says the one who keeps telling me to get a life?”

Momo sticks her tongue out, then sends Nayeon a quick wink. “I’m sure Nayeon won’t mind.”

“My god, Momo!” Jeongyeon cries.

/

The flashes first showed Mina how it is being with Im Nayeon – a whole relationship that is ahead of what they are and what they could be at the moment. It was both terrifying at the same time outrageous that with a simple touch she could take it or break it.

She did both anyways.

And if the flashes first showed her the whys before being with Im Nayeon, still it would’ve scared her nonetheless. Mina thinks that she would’ve risked it either way. She would’ve gotten hurt the same way because unfortunately that’s how love works. But with their fingers intertwined and the smile on their faces that won’t go anytime soon, love is worth it.

Fighting her demons is a process, an on-going and long one that is.

Getting hurt is also part of the process.

But if it meant growth and breaking out from the cage she’s trapped herself into, out of the ocean currents that only pull her down and drown her, and to the arms of Im Nayeon at the end then Mina is glad to go through it all.

fin.

 

Hi guys! This is the end of this fic and i'd like to thank all of you for reading my first twice fic! I really enjoy reading your comments! 'Til my next fic, I guess?