it's not so bad after all

that won't stop me just so you know

Im Nayeon is a promising star of the soccer field – skilled and agile yet she’s running to chase the time in large sweat bullets running down her forehead.

An hour and a half, Nayeon.

Traffic was bad. Sure, Nayeon would have woken up earlier to avoid the morning rush in the streets but there are things that Nayeon can’t have control of, like when she arrives at the field and her teammates are in the middle of a scrimmage with each other and she’s left to pacify their red blob coach at the side.

He's at his limit (over even beyond that) today, looking like he's also been shouting at the team. She could be the only reason why or she could be one of the many problems her coach has to juggle with.

“I can exp-“

Nayeon shuts and nods along to the wrath of words being spit at her, “We don’t want a ing explanation, Nayeon! What we want is that you show dedication and discipline just like the others! Just because you scored the team to victory during the last game doesn't mean you have a free pass to run late! Is this what an athlete is supposed to be? Is this who you’re going to be?!

Being scolded and yelled at is nothing new to Nayeon, seeing her coach’s face puff up and turn red out of anger is nothing new to her. Typically, he’s being overdramatic and pulling the this-isn’t-how-you-should-act card on her. She takes all of his rage until Jeongyeon comes up to them and says, “Chaeyoung needs a substitute so – yeah, I’m taking Nayeon with me.”

Nayeon gets dragged to the field where the rest of her teammates are – all sweaty and tired from playing and passing the ball around the field. The scrimmage is on the second half.

“Thanks for saving my there, Yoo.” Nayeon pats Jeongyeon on her shoulder which the midfielder instead returns with a strong flick on the forehead.

“Hey that hurts!”

“Glad it does. You’re treating me to dinner later, got it?”

Nayeon rolls her eyes. Typical Yoo Jeongyeon. “Yeah, whatever.”

The star joins the game naturally. A ball is passed to her direction and intercepts it with her foot driving it towards the goal. It’s simple as writing her name down, counting from one to whatever number, soccer plays a big part of Nayeon and despite running late and being scolded at for countless of times now, Nayeon still works as hard.

This isn’t about her anymore.

Nayeon would run back and forth, train hours until the break of dawn, until she’s sure that everything won’t break.

/

Sixty-five.

Her arms start to shake trying to push herself up from the stupid burpees punishment. It’s lunch and Nayeon is everything but eating away in the cafeteria. Instead, bullets of sweat stream down her skin from the blaze that dawns upon her and it reminds her again that she should be working as hard as she can.

Sixty-six.

Nayeon collapses on the field, doesn’t mind how the sun strikes her face, her body facing the sun and her lungs catching up to steady her erratic breathing. She’s done this a lot of times and god does she wish to live her summer break once again. It’s nothing special – spent away back home and a lucky one night stand with an athlete that’s both amazing in bed and presumably her chosen sport. Nayeon doesn’t believe her because if not most, athletes she’s met before brag about how skilled they are and Nayeon has to see it for herself to believe it.

It was a nice summer.

And Nayeon is one of those athletes that can brag her skill and prove it that she’s the promising star of the soccer field that meant to lead her team to the nationals. Ever since Nayeon got a hold of the spotted ball between her feet, she’s always dreamed about winning and playing in the nationals with people she shares the same interest and passion. Nayeon knows nothing but to play and train hard.

Win it or go home a loser.

Nayeon can imagine it as vividly and as realistic as she can. She closes her eyes.

The winning strike.

The moment and last kick that's going to win them the finals.

She hears the pounding of her heart get louder as each stomp and scream from the crowd pumps her up – everyone is about to bust a vein from the excessive noise. The ball between her feet glides as smoothly as she’s practiced it to mastery and to no mistake. Nayeon makes a run for the goal. It gets noisier as she increases the gap between her rivals.

Breathing in deep, it all comes back to her that she’s Im Nayeon. The star of the soccer field, the one who’s going to shoot the goal and win their team the sweet trophy from the nationals. She’s Im Nayeon and she’s not doing this solely for herself but for her.

Goal!

Laughter erupts from Nayeon’s tired body and smiles to herself, that one day she’s going to make it and everything that she’s prepared for won’t go down the drain. It’s just another tough day for Im Nayeon to conquer and sleep away later at night.

/

When Jeongyeon forced Nayeon to get out of the dorm that night and insisted that she hasn’t forgotten about the treat, Nayeon was ready to hit the bed and get over the stupid body ache. But here she is getting dragged away by Jeongyeon and Chaeyoung out in the middle of the night sneaking around the dorm hoping no one suspects them as thieves.

Nayeon knows she shouldn’t be doing this - sneaking out to waste time outside nearly 1AM at night when they have a morning run the next day. She could just stand Chaeyoung and Jeongyeon up and rush back to her room and lock the door and pretend she's knocked out sleeping. She could but she doesn’t want to – at least that’s what her body tells her.

Most of the time, Im Nayeon is an insensitive to others. At times like this, she doesn’t care. They saved her today anyways. It’s only fair she owes it up to them.

They find themselves seated around drunk patrons of the local grilling restaurant, belching fresh white smoke from the grills and of lovely cheers between half-filled soju glasses. Jeongyeon, as shameless as she is, orders five servings of meat that she insists on “sharing” when she could finish half of it in no time. When the drinks are served, Nayeon wastes no time and downs a shot - face constricting due to the liquid’s bitterness, all of this so Jeongyeon won’t push her to drink more. Better get over it as fast as she could.

“Are you seriously collecting death cards from Coach? You’ve been out of the campus and scheduled practices for an unreasonable amount of times already. What the hell is wrong, Nayeon?” Jeongyeon is Nayeon’s best friend for sure, but she acts more of a counsellor whenever it comes to the soccer star.

Chaeyoung pops her soda can open - going light so she can savor the food a little more. “Soccer star privileges.” She singsongs trying to annoy and ease the furrowed brows now found on Nayeon’s forehead.

“I wish,” Nayeon flicks the soda can and luckily, it doesn’t spill that much. “Coach was steaming earlier, you know? What’s gotten into him?”

Jeongyeon snickers and says, “Besides you? The qualifiers for the Nationals is near, Im Nayeon. So if I were you, I’d stop sneaking around and actually show up during practices.”

“It’s not like my presence during practice makes much of a difference.” Nayeon argues and thank god their meat is finally cooking to satiate her hunger. Maybe it’s worth it after all to come all the way here.

“It does,” says Chaeyoung as a matter of fact. “The juniors are always competing who’s gonna be the next you. They’re pathetic at this point. Im Nayeon this, Im Nayeon that.”

“The next me? What the hell does that mean?”

A cut of meat goes directly to Jeongyeon’s mouth and she chews. “Exactly, why on earth would you want to be Im Nayeon? Insensitive during the most inappropriate times, bad taste in women-”

“Excuse me? If I remember correctly, my one night stand person is the hottest among the people we had with last summer!”

Chaeyoung coughs. And coughs again until she’s handed water by Jeongyeon at the side. Im Nayeon has a running mouth that’s hard to no control at all - she’s learned the hard way back when they were first years whe Nayeon had insensitively told her to go shift programs if she’s always behind the skill bar. That hurts Chaeyoung, still does but now she’s used to Nayeon. She can tolerate it slightly better. Truths are not always pretty and gratifying. Especially with Im Nayeon.

But the thing with Im Nayeon and girls is on a different spectrum of bad. It’s ridiculous, actually, of how Im Nayeon could easily pass as a muse or those pretty ballerinas or gymnasts inside the strongholds of the gymnasium yet her luck in women is as thin as air. So for her to hit the jackpot last summer was something for both Jeongyeon and Chaeyoung to digest.

“And before you on me, it wasn’t out of pity and desperation.” The soccer star tries to put on her winning smile with her rebuttal.

“We’re going to let this one slide Nayeon just because you’re treating us tonight.”

Nayeon remembers that it’s not that much of a win-win situation that she’s in. She could only hope that Jeongyeon won’t devour the plates after she’s done with the meat.

It’s after they’ve finished off three bottles (Jeongyeon emptying two bottles while the other is shared between Chaeyoung and Nayeon) and seven plates of servings that things start to simmer down around them. There are less people making noise and the loud chatters are starting to grow faint. Nayeon could only smell smoke coming from their grill then she looks around the place: it’s nearly empty.

Chaeyoung stretches then stands from her seat. “Bathroom break.” She simply says before heading in.

“Hey,” Jeongyeon slaps her chopsticks together in a small effort to get Nayeon’s attention back on her. “I don’t know what’s going on with you - hell even if Chaeyoung keeps the secret of secrets between you two I’d still know, but this time I’m not sure what’s wrong but I’m your best friend. Tell me about it.”

“Maybe after two more bottles,” she says and sluggishly smiles, eyes trained on the metal cup within her hand.

“Maybe?” Jeongyeon repeats after, not fond of this so-so attitude of Nayeon.

Nayeon shrugs, “Yeah. Maybe I’ll tell you. Maybe I’ll be an of a best friend and not tell you. Or maybe I’m getting you drunk so you won’t remember a thing. Who knows?”

You know, Nayeon.”

Jeongyeon doesn’t push the topic - never does (and Nayeon is quick to pick up this trait from Jeongyeon having spent most of her stay in college with her and Chaeyoung). Nayeon thinks it’s nice of Jeongyeon not to, always considerate of her even if it’s not necessary to the point it becomes a burden for her. Maybe that’s what a best friend is.

Maybe.

Maybe she can pull off another stunt tomorrow morning but this time she won't get furiously yelled at.

Maybe Im Nayeon wants to keep this matter as personal and as private as she can.

/

“Stand by!” shouts the officiant by the poolside - but in reality, it’s just the swimming team’s assistant coach taking over because their actual coach is on a 2-day break from hurting his left calf.

It’s 8PM and by the time that the swimming team finishes their night practice it’ll be around 11PM. Unless you’re Myoui Mina. The shining jewel and torpedo of the water world, making her name and figure known by snatching 1 gold medal and 2 silvers from her previous games. She’s looked up to and envied by some of her teammates, but for a good cause to motivate them enough to strive harder and be better athletes.

Mina thinks it’s not enough - no, not her teammates, but herself. She feels inferior and if she were the best and the supposed shining jewel and torpedo of the water world, she wouldn’t be here in the pool area but instead out and competing to represent not only herself but her team and her university. But she’s not. Instead, she’s stuck in here waiting for the signal so she can dive underwater and pour her all.

But she’s not.

She’s not their captain.

She’s not Hirai Momo - the best of them all underwater and is out there probably fishing those medals better than she could’ve.

Air seems to get stuck inside her lungs longer than normal - she’s in panic. How could she be the best?

How is she always the second to everything?

Mina dives into the water.

She doesn't hear anything but only the sound of splash and her body is submerged in water.

The signal isn’t fired yet.

“Myoui,” The assistant coach is stern. He squats by the side. As Mina’s head emerges from the water, he motions her to come over. “If you keep this up you won’t be going anywhere. Do better.”

“I know. I’m sorry.” Mina sighs, head hanging low.

The assistant coach looks around him, stands up and blows on his whistle. “Focus! We’re starting again!”

Mina sees this as an indirect jab at her and her skills. She pushes herself out of the pool, taking quick strides to the lockers to isolate herself from the crowd. Even without looking back, Mina knows the eyes that follow her back to the locker room and she’s lucky enough not to break down in front of them. Wrapping herself with a dry towel, Mina sinks deeper into her thoughts.

Thoughts are meant to come and go, a reminder of things - it’s temporary. Thoughts become scary when they’re slowly turning into reality: the thought of always coming second? Always the shadow of someone?

Mina hates being not enough - never enough for anything.

They think she’s one of the best but she’s not. She’s in here to prove it, sulking, because she just dived head first into the water like her auditory sense is numbed.

Mina sighs. God Mina what the hell is wrong with you?

She’s supposed to be better than this; to outgrow herself and become the definition of the best.

Just why can’t she do it?

Before tears could fall and strain her skin, a hand sifts its way through her hair massaging it and then pats it. Momo squats to her level and offers her a kind smile - the definition of perfect is here, in front of Myoui Mina, and she’s still struggling to even be the best. Mina hates how insecure and inferior she feels right now to Momo when all she’s ever been to her is kind and helpful, always looking out for her.

“You’re crying a bit too early, Minari.” The pearl of the water world, Hirai Momo, Mina wishes she could be like her.

Mina chokes out a laugh amidst a sob and she finds herself laughing at her own pitiful self.

“How was the competition?” she asks as she dries her skin of tears.

The grin that spreads across Momo’s face is as shiny as the medals that she fishes out of her pocket - like it’s not that much of importance to even be kept somewhere tidy and safe. Two golds.

Mina wishes she could win as much. Could be as much.

“One for you,” she says as she wears the medal on Mina and the other on her. “And one for me. How about that?”

Being the shining jewel is nothing compared to the pearl of the sea. Mina clutches at the medal and hopes; she’s going to make it. She’s going to win more and be as good - the best.

“Have you told the others you’re back from the competition?” Mina asks.

Momo sits beside Mina, sees how poorly covered the girl is with the towel and she fixes it so Mina doesn’t get cold. It’s kind of dumb, really. They’re always in the water and though they’ve conditioned both their minds and bodies that it’s much of a difference to be exposed, their own towels still provide them the comfort of warmth.

She answers, “Not yet. But I have better news than this.”

Mina half-heartedly chuckles. “What’s better than winning two golds?”

“Oh you know,” Momo singsongs as the thought puts her into such a good mood. “I’m finally staying at the dorm! I’m moving in tonight and I was hoping you could show me around since you’ve been there since first year. Is that okay?”

“You are? I thought you were going to get stuck sulking at your apartment until graduation!”

Now the mood is lighter compared to before, Momo pushes at Mina’s shoulder and laughs with her.

“Yeah, I worked my magic around my parents and got myself in. So are you up for it?”

“To show you around the dorm? Of course I am!”

Momo shakes her head, “No, silly. I mean sneaking out of here so I can buy us some snacks and eat at my new dorm!”

The smile on Mina’s lips is enough as an answer to Momo’s question - enough for her to change back into a fresh set of clothes and struggle their way out through the locker room window that Momo insists on taking. After a lot of heaves and hos, they’re out in the open night.

Momo carries with her a duffle bag of her things and a carrier that she purposely left outside the pool building having this plan devised before she enters and meets with Mina. While Mina still carries the same set of insecurities and self-doubt with her as baggage. They’re always on a different scale of things.

Hirai Momo is as positive as she could get and heck she might as well be walking on a flower path coupled with sunshine and rainbows while Mina is at the sidelines being drowned in a harsh downpour. Yeah, Mina hates her brain for this.

To their travel to the nearest convenience store, Momo retells her summer story and the two months of being away from the team for the sake of the competition that she just won hours ago. It’s all worth it for Momo.

“Wait,” Mina racks her brain and her ears if she’s heard Momo right. “You skipped a day of training because you were sore from ?”

Momo nods like it’s the most casual topic to be on while waiting in line in front of the cashier.

“Was a one night stand with another athlete. She’s hot, you know.” Momo playfully moves her brows up and down at Mina.

Disgusted, Mina makes a face. “I don’t do one night stands.”

“Do you even do ?”

Myoui Mina flushes at the mention of her not so progressive life - still at zero. A in college. Not that it’s much of a big deal - never is, if she’s still a her age. But the topic of her engaging in still makes her shy like a girl in high school learning new sorts.

“Right time, right person.”

Momo shrugs. “Whatever you say, Minari.”

The trip back to the campus is quiet now that students are either doing their night training or resting and not going on spontaneous sneak outs during training. Mina could let this pass once. Momo did promise to give her a week’s worth of snacks later.

They arrive at the dorm and Momo feels like she’s at home - like she’s finally on Olympus with the gods, just that they’re in a communal dorm for female athletes but you know? It's that feeling of home. This is better than coming home to an empty apartment that consists of Momo and the things inside that place. This one, however, booms of life and of competitive spirit that Momo only experiences during competitions.

This is home.

It’s like returning to your pack after being away for such a long time.

“So what’s your room number?” Mina asks.

“22S? I think?”

Mina laughs and smiles. “You think?”

“Yeah, I think.” She returns the smile and they proceed to the flight of stairs with Mina taking the lead expertly maneuvering around the place. Momo can see on the metal plates that they’re on the right track.

“Here we are!” Mina points at the metal plate that’s engraved with 22S. “Don’t bother your roommate too much, Momoring.”

Momo sticks her tongue out then replies, “No promises. Come in!”

“Nah,” Mina politely smiles and shakes her head - she makes a distance between them and slumps her body. “I’m kind of exhausted. How about tomorrow?”

“Fine,” A pout comes after Momo tries her best to change Mina’s decision with her best puppy eyes she can pull off. “Okay I won’t get greedy. See you tomorrow. Rest well, okay?”

“You too.”

Mina is going to try to rest. Sneaking out of training isn’t exactly as rewarding knowing she’ll get another solid hour of scolding from the assistant coach. He’s even worse than their actual coach, always running his mouth that it’s better to stay under the water than hear him go on and on.

Mina is going to pretend she won’t feel as low before the tsunami of words eats her up tomorrow.

/

“I’m sorry but this roo-”

“Nayeon?”

“Momo?”

“What the hell are you doing in my room?” The soccer player assesses the situation in front of her. Hirai Momo is an athlete, a duffle bag slung on her shoulder, an impossibly full plastic bag of snacks on one hand and a carrier on the other. “Oh my god!”

“Can I come in?”

Nayeon moves aside as Momo lets herself in the room - throws her bag onto the empty, plain bed besides Nayeon’s that’s separated by two bedside tables.

“Are you not happy to see me?” There’s a smirk that’s playing wildly on Momo’s lips and it quirks higher when Nayeon faces her seemingly still confused even though she’s pieced it all together.

“I’m not quite sure what to feel if I’m suddenly roommates with someone I had a one night stand with,” admits Nayeon as she looks Momo straight in the eyes. She gets a glimpse of the jacket that Momo pulls out of her duffle bag. On the back is the same logo that Nayeon has on her university jacket, the only difference between hers and Momo is that it says “Swimming Club” and a clear print of Momo’s name on the back.

“You’re still pretty, Nayeon.”

The soccer player isn’t quite sure if that’s supposed to be a sincere compliment when Momo’s attention is not on her but on to the task at hand of unpacking her things like she’s belonged here for a long time and has finally returned after a lengthy vacation. The sight sets Nayeon’s nerves down and steady.

“I know,” she answers unabashed. If it’s coming from the mouth of Hirai Momo, then it must be darn true. Have you seen her? If she were to describe Momo, Nayeon thinks Momo is a hundred lifetimes better than her in terms of everything and wow she’s actually roommates with her? Her one night stand Momo?

Nayeon must be some lunatic. A few seconds ago when the bomb was dropped in the form of Hirai Momo, she’s serious and internally conflicted but now she’s laughing because damn. What are the odds that you become roommates with your one night stand person?

“So this is the disadvantage of not telling me during summer break? Hell, Momo I don’t even know you’re in the same school as me!”

The thing is, Nayeon doesn’t really know much about the people around her aside from her team because she’s busy training her out - over the top at times that she gets Jeongyeon and Chaeyoung in gruesome worry. Besides, the swimming department isn’t close to the field. More reason for Nayeon to excuse her way around Momo.

Momo smiles at her and throws to her face the jacket Nayeon was staring at earlier.

“You must be a busy person if that’s the case.”

“I suppose I am.” she answers monotonously.

“Isn’t that a good thing? You’re not a bum. Besides, you're winning. You have me as your roommate!" Momo finally beams at her.

True but Nayeon won't admit it.

“You're fishing for a compliment, aren't you? Treat me to dinner first, Hirai.”

Nayeon holds Momo’s jacket up before slipping right into it, doesn’t bat a lash back at the swimmer when she throws out another compliment. It’s a little big for Nayeon’s body and she guesses the same for Momo. Having seen each other’s body for more than an hour, Nayeon’s got a feel of how well-built Momo is as an athlete - firm muscles that are visible without much effort, Nayeon feels funny inside.

There are no aftermath feelings. It really is just a one night stand between the two of them.

“What are you laughing about? You’re scaring me, Nayeon.”

The soccer star shrugs. “Buy me lunch tomorrow. It’s payback for not telling me anything about yourself, let alone become my roommate all of a sudden.”

This time it’s Momo’s turn to laugh.

“What do you expect from a one night stand? I’m not there to tell you my life story but get some of that good stuff, and fortunately I did.”

Nayeon tucks herself to bed and hugs Momo’s jacket close to her and says, “Whatever, you’re still buying me lunch. If you ditch me, you’re not getting your jacket back.”

/

Swimmers and soccer players don’t cross paths every day. It’s like expecting the blue moon to show up so when Im Nayeon goes out for their morning run (and still has a warm up jog around the track field after) wearing Momo’s jacket for the population to see, it becomes the quick talk between most of the athletes.

Jeongyeon ups her speed to run beside Nayeon, an incredulous look on her face after seeing the clear print of “HIRAI MOMO” on the fabric.

“Did you bang the Hirai Momo last night? Or are you a thief now?”

Nayeon flicks the midfielder’s side temple and responds, “None of the above, . And what do you mean the Hirai Momo?”

Jeongyeon’s face falls flat at how unbelievable this is. But she gives Nayeon some slack because after all, she is Im Nayeon that works her off still despite getting yelled at for uncalled for reasons.

“Have you not heard? She just won two gold medals yesterday! God, Nayeon I know you’re busy with training and almost have no life besides us dragging you out but seriously? Nothing on Hirai Momo?” says Jeongyeon exasperatedly.

“She’s literally the girl I had a one night stand with, Jeongyeon.” Nayeon deadpans which almost brings the midfielder to trip over nothing and a blurt of an unbelieving what?! To her face. “She’s buying me lunch later, just so you know.”

“How the hell does that happen?”

Nayeon smiles - the smile that from time to time irritates Jeongyeon because Nayeon knows she has the upper hand, knowing.

“She happens to be my roommate,” and Jeongyeon responds with another flail of arms and a gasp of what. “We’re basically friends.”

/

Lunch time rolls around rather quickly and Nayeon is happily skipping towards the cafeteria looking for a certain swimmer. Jeongyeon and Chaeyoung tag along because that’s what friends do: accompany each other and possibly get a new connection with the promising swimmer of their university. Totally not because it’s Hirai Momo.

When Nayeon approaches Momo, the swimmer flashes her a troubled smile coupled with awkward scratching at her neck and the shift of weight from one foot to another.

“So,” Momo starts and her attention goes from Nayeon to her other friends at the back. “I kinda left my wallet at my friend’s room. Um-”

“I can get it if you want.” says Jeongyeon rather enthusiastically. A little too willing it’s going to make Nayeon puke.

“Don’t mind her.” Nayeon intercepts, looks back at Jeongyeon to roll her eyes at her then back to Momo. “I’ll go get it. Is your friend staying at the athlete dormitories?”

“Wait, you’re actually going to get it?” Chaeyoung muses at Nayeon’s uncharacteristic behavior. Nayeon counters her short friend with, “She’s buying me lunch and said lunch depends on her wallet, does that ring any bell?”

“Great! She’s actually in the same dorm as us. Her room’s 12M. She should be there since she doesn’t go out for lunch.”

And off Nayeon goes leaving Jeongyeon and Chaeyoung alone with Momo. It’s awkward to say the least, especially when one tall midfielder is trying too hard to please and get to know the swimmer for the first time. Chaeyoung wishes she could run after Nayeon and not endure the secondhand embarrassment from Jeongyeon. Why is she trying so hard anyway?

The rumble from Nayeon’s stomach pushes her to walk faster and only now does she realize how far their dorm actually is from the cafeteria. When she enters the building, she groans at the conquest that’s in concrete form of stairs. By the time she reaches the room with 12M imprinted on the metal tag, Nayeon doesn’t think twice before pushing the door open and sauntering in.

She’s tired enough to forget her manners but she’s not that tired to not process that upon entering the room she’s not so welcomed by the sight of another half- athlete.

“What the ?!” Mina screeches and holds her clothes in front of her in poor attempt to shield and cover herself from the random intruder.

“Wow you look great.” Is what Nayeon says.

Is what she's not supposed to say.

Is the reason why Mina is red all over her skin.

And Mina is horrified because who on earth says that to a stranger?!

“Get out!” the swimmer repeats and chants.

Only then Nayeon realizes the situation she’s in when Mina aggressively pushes her out of the room and slams the door shut that it’s loud enough to echo through the hallways. Yeah, Im Nayeon is tired, and hungry as her stomach protests again.

Closing her eyes and leaning her frame to the door, Nayeon tries to explain the situation after apologizing again and again. She's not even sure if this girl is listening to everything that she's said because she gets silence as a response from the swimmer at the other side of the door.

Her stomach rumbles again. If she doesn’t get that wallet soon...

, whatever! I’ll get free lunch some other time then!

“Ow!”

The door slams shut again after Mina haphazardly throws Momo’s wallet to Nayeon, which unmistakably landed at the back of her head. Groaning at the unwanted pain, Nayeon rubs it off, squeezes the spot gently until the pain goes away. Are swimmers that strong for that wallet throw to hurt so much?

Nevertheless, Nayeon walks up again to the closed door. “Hey, I’m sorry okay?” Nayeon says loud enough as she picks up the leather wallet on the floor. “Like, really sorry. I didn’t mean to walk in on you.”

Hearing nothing but silence (again), Nayeon makes her way back to the cafeteria and by the looks of it, Jeongyeon freaked the soul out of Momo. It makes Nayeon laugh at how the midfielder is so willing to throw her face out like that. But she doesn’t make too much fun out of that because she has to agree on this one— Momo is someone you’d throw your all at just to get a shot of it.

Nayeon hands Momo her wallet to which the swimmer expresses her gratitude and whispers to Nayeon about getting out of here so she can treat her to lunch. Thanks to Chaeyoung, Nayeon doesn’t have a lot to worry about that being two of her friends sticking around for the time being.

As they walk out of the campus, Nayeon wails to Momo how she had walked in on her friend earlier unintentionally for her mind and body is somewhere else. Momo laughs at her - the kind of laugh that’s annoyingly boisterous, it makes Nayeon pinch Momo by the forearm to get her to stop laughing. But her laughter only simmers down to suppressed fits of giggle.

“You saw Mina ?” The swimmer’s lips tug upward still finding the scenario hilarious. “How’d you feel about it?”

Nayeon groans. “That’s the thing Momo! I literally said to her that she has a nice body! Who on earth says that? God why do I have to be dumb at the most inappropriate time.”

Momo tries to stifle her giggle when Nayeon gives her another look that’s meaning to say she’s going to punch her hard this time if she doesn’t stop.

At least she tries to.

“What are you going to do about it then? Mina’s not the type of person to show up after you know.” The swimmer wiggles her brows at the soccer player and that was the last straw for Nayeon before shoving Momo down the path.

Thank god Momo’s reflexes kick in before her face falls flat on the ground.

“I’m on the losing end, aren’t I? Gosh why did I even agree to do that? And you’re of no help at all!”

“Oh come on it isn’t that bad. It’s not like you and Mina are going to cross paths everyday so don’t worry about it too much.”

“That’s not the point here!”

Momo holds the door open for Nayeon to saunter in before she follows behind. They take the table at the back and make orders so they can continue discussing the so-called disaster that Nayeon had casted upon herself. So much for volunteering to get someone else's money. Nayeon internally rolls at herself. She just wanted free food is that too much to ask?

“What’s exactly your point?” Momo asks before taking a sip on her orange juice - trying to get the weird taste make sense in . She fails and instead pushes the juice to Nayeon’s side.

“I have manners therefore I have to do something so I won’t look as bad.”

Nayeon might be an insensitive person like how Jeongyeon tells her and how she agrees to it most of the time, but decent is what Nayeon is (at least if you don’t mind that insensitive side of her). She can’t exactly have a record of having walked in on someone while they’re changing and not even get that well deserved forgiveness.

"Isn't that just you trying to clean your image and, I don't know, clear your conscience?"

Exactly the point.

"The half of it, yes, but who knows? We could end up as the bestest of friends too."

"You and Mina? The bestest of friends?" Momo doubts that will happen anytime soon knowing how closed off Mina is as a person. It even took her a whole year to get things started with her! And now Nayeon wants to break in just like that? Momo would like to see Nayeon challenge herself.

"Nothing's impossible. Becoming friends is easy." Nayeon stands her ground.

/

Maybe it is. Nayeon has zero concrete plan on how to make it work: get herself to face Mina without being stupid and let her insensitive mouth run nonstop. All the help she could get from Momo is the comprehensive schedule the swimming team has. It's mostly conflicting with Nayeon's but she can make arrangements and see if it won't get her in trouble. Her coach is probably about to put Nayeon on a week of doubled exercises and routines as punishment if she gets caught again.

After stepping out fresh from the shower, Nayeon checks again the colored schedule on her phone. This morning and every Wednesday mornings, the swimming team has a scheduled morning run on the track field along with the soccer and track team. If Nayeon is lucky, she can tag along with the swimming team and pretend all is good.

But Nayeon, most of the time, is not lucky. So she has to put her thick skin to the test as soon as she arrives at the track field. She jogs beside Jeongyeon and Chaeyoung purposely ignoring everything that they're saying trying to get a glimpse of the swimmers running opposite to their direction of the field. It doesn't take long until they cross paths and meet in the middle and Nayeon wills herself to steer away from her team and join the swimming team.

Running backwards is not Nayeon's forte but she's trying her very best to catch up with Mina. She's at the back of the team while Momo stays in front. Mina knows there's no meaning to it when they've been assigned to watch over the others but she can't help but feel that maybe the reason why she's at the back is because she's not as good. Thoughts like that are always running inside Mina's brain but not today because Im Nayeon is in front of her running backwards like a stupid person.

When they meet eyes, Nayeon waves and stupidly smiles at Mina as if nothing had happened yesterday.

"It's Im Nayeon, by the way." The soccer star introduces, now jogging normally beside Mina at a safe distance in case she wants to slap Nayeon for yesterday.

"Not interested."

"Well I am."

Mina huffs and picks up her pace ignoring the soccer player who also speeds up. "You're being annoying."

"You're correct and to add to that I'm also trying to become friends with you. Is that too much?"

"No because I don't care, Im Nayeon."

Nayeon cheekily smiles. "That's the spirit! At least you know my name! Aren't you going to tell me yours?"

Mina prefers her jog to be silent, solemn, and simply bringing herself down rather than have an annoying soccer player jog beside her and try her best to get her way to Mina. It's not exactly pleasing to start your day seeing the person you absolutely don't want to encounter at all. It's embarrassing. It's making the hair on Mina's neck stand up to have Im Nayeon close.

"So, you and Momo are friends?"

First of all, the last time Nayeon made a friend was years ago and that was with Jeongyeon and Chaeyoung so a friendly conversation starter for Nayeon is a bit hard. It's not as easy as passing the ball with her feet or shooting it at an angle precisely. But Nayeon guesses that a person like Mina won't judge her for that. Besides, she's said it herself that she's not interested so she probably won't remember this lame conversation.

Mina, again, pushes forward to solidify how much she wants to get away from Nayeon. But being stubborn is within Nayeon's body so she surges forward among the swimmers to be next to Mina.

The soccer player runs alongside the swimmer and lets her be, finally shutting close. Nayeon suppresses a smile from breaking out, cautious so Mina won't think she's weird. It's the thought that she took the first step that makes her smile. Sure, she looks like an idiot running backwards and that lame conversation starter, but it isn't so bad.

This isn’t so bad.

Nayeon has a lot of pride to spare to make things work.

Myoui Mina is another challenge that Im Nayeon is going to complete. She's going to make it.

Not anytime soon but someday she will.

Baby steps.

/

"What stunt are you trying to pull this morning? Yesterday you went out wearing Hirai Momo's jacket and now you're talking and jogging with Myoui Mina?" Jeongyeon retorts in disbelief.

"Yeah, Nayeon. I didn't know you have a thing with Japanese chicks!" Chaeyoung joins but Jeongyeon slaps the back of her head for saying something unnecessary.

Nayeon knows she has to set her priorities straight and stop messing around with her spare time because the Qualifiers are two months away. There's not much time left for them to slack off - but it's the way that most of her teammates assure her that she's on top of her game that urges her to see Mina again later.

Or maybe now?

It's lunch and she's probably at her room. Nayeon thinks she's a genius. She could bring Mina food and hope for the best. It's a win-win situation no matter what. If Mina doesn't want to talk and eat the food Nayeon brings her then she can just eat it for herself and try again some other time. Nayeon has nothing to lose with Mina.

For a couple of change and bills, she's able to buy Mina a proper takeout meal with a fatty dessert.

This time around, Nayeon learns how to knock twice then thrice. And another set of knocks until she runs impatient because there's no one answering her. Pulling her phone out, she dials Momo's number.

"Nayeon? What's up?"

"Are you with Mina?"

"Mina? No, I'm with some friends. I think she's still at the pool building. Hold on- you're still going for it?"

Nayeon rolls her eyes. She starts her way down the dorm and out to the pool building - a solid twenty-minute walk from the dorm.

"Yeah, on my way to meet her."

Before Momo could send her another remark, Nayeon abruptly ended the call.

It's a long walk - the way from the pool building to the soccer field where Nayeon has to train after her soon to be encounter with Mina. She hurries it up, ignoring the blatant stares and body turns directed at her from the other athletes around the area. Swimmers and soccer players don't often make appearances together. Nayeon is going to change that.

With the plastic bag in one hand, Nayeon navigates her way through the building. It's much cooler than being on the field, constantly grilled by the sun. But it's not much of a difference when she hears a booming voice echo through the hallway. Nayeon peeks her head in first and the scene unfolds before her.

It's Mina.

Nayeon flinches at the choice of words that are being thrown towards the shining jewel of the water- much harsher than the ones she's received from her own coach - or that she will ever receive in her time as an athlete. She flees away from the area and best decides not to hear what it is all about and pretends that she didn’t hear anything at all.

Ten minutes pass by and Mina finally emerges from the building, now in proper casual clothes. Nayeon launches herself from the wall and greets Mina with the same wave and smile, only to get ignored as she predicted. Mina walks past her and Nayeon has to keep up again.

"I bought you food." Nayeon tells her, and she catches the way how Mina's eyes are nowhere from focused and is blankly looking straight ahead.

As an athlete herself, Nayeon can sympathize with Mina. It's an unavoidable cause for every athlete to be yelled at, criticized, and worst of all be told of how undeserving and how far behind you are from others. Nayeon is not an exception. She may be the soccer star of the team, in her coach's eyes she's just another soccer player in training hoping that one day she'll make it.

Words like those will always hurt. It stings less as time goes by but still hurts nonetheless.

Mina, as Nayeon comprises to walk with her in silence, is another athlete that has to go through a rough path. Nayeon wonders if Momo is the same as the girl is always positive and smiling most of the time.

It's past lunch now and Nayeon doesn't have to make a run for training until two hours later. So she drags Mina by the grass patch and pulls her down to sit with her. Nayeon doesn't say much and respects the silence from Mina. She instead prepares the takeout she's bought for her - even breaks the chopsticks in two for the swimmer.

"You should eat," says Nayeon, trying to hand Mina the chopsticks, waits for her to move but in the end she doesn't. Her eyes remain blank.

"If you're not going to eat it then I will."

And she does. Nayeon chews down on the food carefully, as slow as she can until she makes Mina realize that she's missing out on good food and that she shouldn't dwell on negative thoughts too much.

It's unhealthy, the way Mina thinks of herself and the way she acts on it.

Nayeon endlessly chews - not savoring the food anymore and only hopes Mina would look at least bat a lash at her so she won't feel like she's talking to a rock. A sad one, that is. Until Mina's own stomach rumbles.

Nayeon grins, a toothy one, and picks up a cut of tonkatsu from the container and holds it in front of Mina.

"Come on take it and eat it," she offers.

A blush creeps up on Mina's cheeks. It's one thing to be sitting with Im Nayeon and it's another thing to be fed by her.

"That wasn't so hard, was it?"

Mina continues to chew on her food.

Nayeon continues to feed her.

It really isn’t so bad to try and become friends with Myoui Mina. She’s kept as Nayeon had expected her to be. Pretty on the edges, soft all over the surface. Just the right amount of intimidation. Nayeon thinks that Mina is much softer and that time will tell. For now, she has to finish feeding the gloomy athlete and take care of the crumbs that’s glued to the side of her lips.

 

/

also available in ao3!