Ocean Waves (Seulrene, Wenrene, Tzugi) (Filipino)

Resilience
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

TW: mentions of ? idk slight? HAHAHAHHA

This challenged me to the core. Oh my god HAHAHAHAHHAA this is based on Studio Ghibli's Ocean Waves!

-,

 

Ocean Waves

i.


“Wendy,” tawag ni Seulgi sa kaibigang busy sa pagbabasa ng mga files. Wendy smiled when she heard her bestfriend call her name and said, “Seulgi, buti nama’t nakapunta ka. Halika, may ipapakilala ako sa’yo,”.


It was odd. 


Seulgi was in the middle of her part-time work when Wendy called her all of the sudden, asking for her presence as if her life depended on it. Worried-sick, she called off early from work and biked her way towards the school campus where her friend was. (Wendy stayed extra hours in school with her being the student council president)


“Pinapunta mo lang ako dito because you wanted me to meet someone?” she raised an eyebrow, sitting on the couch. Wendy beamed at her, standing up from where she was seated, white folder in hand “Read this,” inabot niya sa kaibigan. Tinanggap naman ni Seulgi at binuksan.
Inside was an infographic of a new transferee student from Luzon. “Transferee from Manila… that’s weird.”


Wendy laughed, “Why would you find it weird? Is it because tayo yung usually pumupunta sa kanila?”


“Yeps,” Seulgi nodded her head, immediately closing the folder. The content didn’t interest her. “So, anong meron sa kanya?”


The short haired woman sat next to her. “She’s my childhood friend. First love ko,” sabi nito sakanya, “Just wanted you to know first kasi best friend kita.”


Seulgi snorted, “Ang corny mo!” sabay sapak sa braso ni Wendy, “Thanks for telling me pala.  Next time lang if this is about some girl, please, wag mo akong i-pull out sa work ko.”


Wendy rolled her eyes. “In case you forget, amin yung café na pinagtatrabuhan mo. I can still give you a day’s worth of sahod.”


The taller woman shook her head and frowned “That would be unfair. Anyways, tapos ka na ba? Tara uwi na tayo.” 


ii.


Naging matalik na magkaibigan sina Seulgi at Wendy nung naging partner sila sa isang quiz bee. Ever since then they were inseparable. Madami na rin silang napagdaanan but even though sobrang close nila, never pa sila naging kaklase. Wendy was always in the primary section while Seulgi was shuffled with the rest. 


Few months later, pumasok na yung transferee student na inaabangan ni Wendy. She was in Seulgi’s class and dahil student council president si Wendy (and since they’re childhood friends) she took the responsibility to take care of her. Irene and Seulgi were introduced once but that was it. Hindi na niya masyadong nakasama si Wendy the remaining months of that term since she was busy with her art exhibit and she doesn’t want to intrude in Wendy’s papogi (Wendy’s word not hers) to Irene.


It wasn’t less than a month when Irene became popular. Not only she was intelligent but she was also athletic. She ranked in the top 10 of their batch kahit na late na siyang pumasok and kinakailangan niyang humabol sa mga na-miss niyang mga activities and quizzes. Humanga ang lahat sa kanya and everyone wanted to be friends with her. Pero ayaw niya. Either sinusungitan niya yung mga nagtangkang lumapit sa kanya or hindi niya lang pinapansin totally. Si Wendy lang naging friend niya, si Yeri na nasa lower batch nila, and Jennie Kim, the same batch as hers but she’s from a different class.


Seulgi also found out that Irene transferred all the way from the Metro to their province because her parents got annulled. She didn’t ask further and hinayaan niya lang. She was happy though, Wendy is making progress. Lumalabas sila ni Irene, pumupunta sila sa bookshops, theme parks, and minsan tumatambay sila sa café but Wendy made sure na naka-off si Seulgi before coming there. Seulgi did mention to her friend na ayaw niya sa vibe ni Irene. (she’s scary as , Wendy, pls) Tinawanan lang siya ni Wendy and prodded her to give Irene a chance (She’s nice, Seulgi. Don’t judge her by the looks) Seulgi didn’t budge though. She liked the constant silence brought to her by her own thoughts. 


She has her own share of friends but at the end of the day she loves the solidarity that comes with being alone. 

It was nice.


Until that one summer before their senior year would start; Seulgi was busy cleaning tables when a customer came in.

There weren’t plenty of people around since it was 2 in the afternoon. She took the menu from one of the tables and approached the woman wearing a red sundress, she couldn’t see her face since she was facing her back and when she arrived, she was confused.


“Hello,” Irene greeted her with a soft smile that got all the boys swooning over her. Seulgi on the other hand smiled back awkwardly.


“Hello,” she handed her the menu, “Wendy’s not with you?” she asked her. Irene raised an eyebrow at her, “Obvious naman na hindi kami magkasama.” Sagot niya. Seulgi flinched at her. Shet, masungit nga. “Baka naman hinihintay mo siya or something,” 


Irene shrugged. “Nah, Ako lang. we’re not joined at the hip, you know. You of all people should know where she’s at.” She pointed the menu at her, “You’re her best friend.”


Seulgi bit her lip. She wasn’t asking where Wendy was.

Nagtatanong lang naman siya kung magkasama sila. She cleared , her patience obviously running thin.

“Okay.. may I take your order?”


“Lemon tea with honey, please.”


“Desserts?”


“Libre mo ba?”


Seugli blinked. The audacity. Close ba tayo?! “I’ll call Wends and tell her that you’re asking for a freebie. Will that work for you?”


Irene pouted. “You’re no fun. I want it from you.”


“Sorry, I don’t do libres.”


Irene rolled her eyes. “Damot mo. One carrot cake then.”


That was the only interaction that they had. Nung nagsimula senior year nila, they were classmates again and hindi na ulit sila nagpansinan. Seulgi was fine with it. Irene’s a walking red flag for her. She was fine with her small group of friends.

 
“Seulgay,” tawag sa kanya ni Lisa. “Do you have any idea anong ireregalo ko sa girlfriend ko?”


Lisa Manoban is Jennie’s girlfriend. They’ve been together for a year now. Madaming nagalit kay Jennie for using Kai (her ex-boyfriend) as her gay beard. Irene defended Jennie and exposed Kai (he was also using Jennie as his gay beard.

Suki siya sa isang gay bar outside their town) it was a weird month but everything’s okay now. As if walang nangyari.

Seulgi finds it cool how Irene stood up for her friend. Maybe she’s not so bad after all. 


“I don’t know? Wala akong jowa?” 


Lisa rolled her eyes. “Wala ka pala e, oy, Irene!” tawag niya sa kay Irene na tinignan lang siya. “Ano magandang ibigay para kay Jennie?”


Irene glared at her. “Ako ba jowa niya?”


Narinig ng buong klase and echoes of Ohhhhs were heard.

When Irene was not facing them anymore, Lisa gave her the finger which made Seulgi laugh. “Tanginaka, ang mature mo.” sabi niya sa kaibigan na halatang bad mood na.


“Di ko talaga ma-gets pa’no naging bestfriend yon ni Jennie e sobrang sungit.”


Seulgi tilted her head on the side. “Masungit din naman si Jennie ah? Birds of the same feather flock together.”


“E ba’t tayo magtropa? Bantot mo kaya.”


“Aba pota ka.”


iii.


“Musta na pala kayo ni Irene? Kayo na ba?” tanong ni Seulgi kay Wendy. Kakasara lang niya ng café and sila nalang natira sa loob. Nakaupo sila sa isang booth malapit sa entrance. Wendy sighed. “Ewan? I mean it’s obvious naman di’ba na I like her. But ang labo pa rin. Wala ata akong chance sa kanya,” Wendy sighed deeply, playing with the rims of her teacup.


Seulgi is probably the last person you could ask for an advice. Wendy knows that but alam niya rin na Seulgi’s a good listener. “I asked her if she’s gay the other day,”


This piqued Seulgi’s interest. Not that she likes her but she’s rather curious as to why Irene doesn’t have a boyfriend yet.

She heard that studs from the neighboring college were also after her kaya todo bakod si Wendy sa childhood friend niya.


“She answered me that she’s fluid. She’s pan? I think. Basta sabi niya whenever she likes someone di niya tinitignan yung gender. Nagkagusto pa nga raw siya sa bakla noon. It was a weird story but to cut it short, na-reject si ateng mo.”


Seulgi leaned on her seat. “Then you’re at an advantage here. Sis is gay. Grab your chance.”


“I am doing that. Pero I don’t know? I’m not her type?”


“Pa’no mo naman nasabi?”


“Over summer she told me that she has her eyes on someone but never mentioned them again. I asked her about that yesterday and sabi niya she’s still observing them.”


“Tingin mo sino?”


Wendy shrugged. “I have no idea. It must be someone na ‘di niya close. But I’m quite sure na she doesn’t want to get involved with this person.”


Seulgi blinked, “Because….?”


“Dude, she’s Irene. She could get whatever or for this case, whoever that she wants with the snap of her fingers.”


“Careful ka lang ah, sabi niya di’ba na under observation pa. If she makes a move then it’s over for you.” 


Wendy’s face darkened. She’s probably not yet ready for that scenario. Seulgi smiled, “And we don’t know na baka ikaw yung tinutukoy niya kaya umayos ka, Wan.”


This time, Wendy’s face lit up. Nabuhayan ng pag-asa kaibigan niya. “Baka nga. And the school trip is soon. I’m gonna make my move there.”


Seulgi could only offer a small good luck sa kaibigan niya. 50-50 yung chance ni Wendy kay Irene. Seulgi could see it.

Since sobrang labo ni Irene from the very beginning or maybe wala lang talaga siyang interes sa love. She read that people from broken families are those who are more avoidant of romantic relationships. But who was she to say that? She’s no psych major. Best thing to do now is to support her friend sa kahit anong katangahan niya.


iv.


School trip came and Seulgi was happy as hell. Sobrang worth it ng pagtatrabaho niya since kaya niyang bilhin lahat ng gusto niya. Nakabili na siya ng pasalubong sa art club and her family. Binilhan niya rin ng I < 3 Cebu na shirt si Lisa since naubos extra pera nito kakabili ng mga gift niya sa girlfriend niya. Wendy on the other hand was like a shadow to Irene, sunod ng sunod. Seulgi paid them no mind busy siyang kumakain kasama ang shikshin ng kabilang section na si Rosé.


It was their last day and mag-isang nakaupo si Seulgi sa bench facing the sea. 


“Seulgi,” tawag sa kanya ni Irene na umupo sa tabi niya. Seulgi tilted her head. “Irene?” tanong niya. It was unusual.

Ngayon lang ulit sila nag-usap ever since that summer. And if there’s one thing that Seulgi regretted, it was entertaining Irene. 


She didn’t know that talking to her would ruin her peace.


“Can I ask you a favor?” Irene’s voice was sad, mahina, not like her usual masungit manner of speaking. Seulgi blinked, “What—what is it?”


Irene fidgeted. Avoiding eye contact for awhile before looking at her straight in the eye, “Pwede ba akong umutang? I swear babayaran ko pagbalik natin. I lost my wallet. Someone stole it when we were in Colon.”


Seulgi’s eyes widened. “Nireport mo na ba ‘to sa advisers natin? Kailan pa’to nangyari?!” she worriedly asked her, mga mata niyang di mapakali as her eyes roamed Irene’s body searching for any cuts or bruises (It was easy since Irene was wearing a blue off-shoulder paired with brown khaki skirt)


“I’m okay.” Tawa ni Irene “Wala naman akong sinabi na hinoldap ako. Nagulat nalang ako paguwi ko sa hotel bukas na yung bag ko and nawala na yung wallet ko. Buti nalang hawak ko phone ko the whole time.” She paused, “I didn’t tell our advisers since I don’t want my mom to know. She’s probably stressed with her work right now. Ayokong dumagdag.”


Seulgi sighed in relief, “Okay, I understand.” She leaned on their seat, “Did you tell Wendy about this?”


Irene shook her head, “I don’t want to tell her because I know she’ll just give me money right away. I don’t want that. I’ve been Wendy’s burden ever since I transferred. I don’t want to ask Jennie din kasi she has plans for Lisa, kakabili niya lang ng gift niya for her so she’s also broke. Ikaw lang ang alam kong may extra money ngayon since you’ve been working your off last term pa.”


She did have a point. And since close friend naman siya ni Wendy, Seulgi gave in out of good heart. Nakakaawa din naman siya.


“Fine, how much?”


“Five thousand pesos.”


“WHAT?!” she exclaimed, “Five mothering thousand?! Siz, last day na natin ngayon. Why would you need such money?!”


Irene rolled her eyes. “Do you have 5 thousand or not?”


Seulgi blinked. Aaaaand now she’s back to her mataray self.


“I have. Pero pano mo mababayaran muna?”


Irene her lips seductively, “Momol tayo? I won’t tell Wendy.”


Seulgi flinched, moving away from Irene. “Gago ka ba? ‘wag na nga lang.” tumayo na si Seulgi and was about to walk away when Irene grabbed her by the wrist. “Ikaw naman ‘di ka mabiro,” she was now baby talking and Seulgi finds it scary kung gano kabilis magbago ng mood ang babaeng ‘to. 


“Fine, fine,” she gave up. Binitawan naman siya ni Irene kaagad. Seulgi took out her phone, “Bigay mo sakin bank account deets mo. Ta-transfer ko nalang.”


Irene happily complied. “Thank you, Seulgi. And can I ask you one more favor?”


Seulgi was now halfway glaring at her. “Ano yun?”


“Don’t tell anyone about this, okay?” and before Seulgi could answer. She kissed her on the cheek, winked at her and walked away. Seulgi remained standing, bewildered at the sudden action. “Wendy, your crush is weird. What the actual ?”


Pagdating ni Seulgi sa main lobby ng hotel ay nakita niya si Wendy. “Wanda!” tawag niya sa kaibigan. “Seulgi! Sa’n ka galing?”


“Sa beach lang. ‘kaw lang ba mag-isa? Do you wanna take a walk?”


Wendy bobbed her head. 


When they were out of the hotel biglang napatanong si Wendy, “Have you seen Irene? I haven’t seen her whole day.”
Seulgi  being Wendy’s best friend and since my code silang bawal magtago ng sikreto sa isa’t isa, Seulgi told her about what happened earlier.


“Oh , is she okay though?” Wendy’s face was worried-sick. Seulgi concluded that Wendy’s in too deep. Like she reached the point of no return. 


“Yeah, she seems fine naman. I let her borrow my money. May extra pa naman ako.”


Wendy smiled, patting her shoulder. “You’re a good friend, Seulgi. Thank you for that.”


Seulgi cringed. “Tangina? Jowa ka gorl?” 


Tinawanan lang siya ni Wendy. “Inamo, baka mamaya? Char??”


“Magsabi ka lang ha, I’ll have the team ready if ever sawi.”
Tinulak lang siya ni Wendy, “Wag mo namang pangunahan!”

--, 


Later that night, may pa-bonf

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter