The Whispers of the Dead (seulrene, yulsic)

Resilience
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

this is actually supposed to be a kryber fic HAHSHSHSHAHAHA nirevert ko to seulrene kasi parang mas bagay HAHAHAHAHA

The Whispers of The Dead - sr

                                                                                     

Irene Bae knew that she can see spirits at a very young age. She’s from a family of Ghost Whisperers—her older sister also has a special power and that is to see the life span of a person. She knows it when she activates it and sees a blue flame in their chest—if the flame is not too bright, it indicates that the person might be dead sooner or later. The intensity of the flame pertains to the life span of the person.

At first, it was difficult controlling her power since she was still a child but with her sister and mother being by her side—they made everything bearable to deal with.

She was already in college when she met Seulgi Kang.

She and her sister were sitting on a bench, Jessica telling Irene when a person would die every time they would walk pass by them but she stopped when this Seulgi Kang was riding a bike and was about to pass them.

“That’s weird,” Jessica blinked as she ran a hand on her auburn colored hair; Irene stopped reading her book and asked, “What?”

“That girl—her flame is golden yellow, not blue.” Jessica followed where the girl was heading, eyebrows were furrowed in confusion, “That’s my first time seeing a golden flame..”

The person that Jessica was talking about has a shoulder level raven hair, was wearing a black shirt over a red flannel, denim jeans, and white shoes.  Irene couldn’t see her face since her back was already facing them.

“Is she a spirit?”

Irene shook her head, “No,”

“Weird,” Jessica said again as she leaned back on her seat, “She must be special then,” she crossed her leg over the other—completely forgetting about the girl that she saw earlier.

“You can tell mom about it later—she probably knows something,”

“You saw a golden flame?” her mother asked as she sipped her tea- they were in the garden of their house, Jessica was sitting across their mother while Irene was seated next to her, still engrossed in her book.

“Yeah, it’s really weird, right?”

Mrs. Bae nodded, “She must be a mystes,” her mother gulped, “that woman that you saw must be in danger.”

Irene laid her book down, “What’s a mystes?”

“A mystes only appears once in a lifetime—they contain a special treasure within them, legend has it that if you consume the flame of a Mystes, a wish of yours will be granted.”

Irene bobbed her head in understanding, “Should we kill her to make a wish?”

“No,” her mother quickly responded, “You cannot kill a Mystes—if you do then it would create an imbalance making the monsters from the underworld to escape and come here.”

“Why would it create an imbalance?”

Jessica placed her hand on her sister’s knee, “The Mystes is someone who holds that place down—the Mystes goes out once in a while to search for their bride to rule or guard that place with them.”

Mrs. Jung nodded, “You girls should stay away from her if you see her again, alright?” she cautiously said, “You don’t know what harm it could bring you—especially when she’s here on Earth.”

“How would I know that it’s a Mystes that I’m meeting? I can’t see flames in people’s chest.” Irene looked at her sister for an answer but instead directed her attention to her mother who frowned, “You will know that a person is a Mystes when they have a series of spirits following them around,”

Irene frowned, “A lot of people are being followed by spirits, mom,”

“It’s for me to know and for you to find out, dear,” her mother smiled wistfully as she poured herself another cup of tea.

“Don’t worry, sis- I’ll be always here to confirm it to you,” her sister smiled at her and she shrugged in return—“Yeah, sure..” Irene doesn’t know it but it feels like

When Seulgi met Yuri---it was on a very weird circumstance, she was about to sleep when a woman in suit appeared out of nowhere in her room.

She blinked and was about to scream but the person was fast enough to cover .

“Okay, I didn’t come here to harm you!”

Seulgi shrieked, she was about to karate chop the person but the woman was fast enough to move to her back, push her towards the bed and she fell face first. The woman’s hand was on Seulgi’s mouth, the other one was on both of her wrists, pinning her on her bed. On her back was the other knee of the woman while her other one was on the floor to support her weight on Seulgi’s back.

“god damn it!” the woman cursed, “Shut up and I’ll explain things!”

Seulgi whimpered in return.

“I’ll let you go as soon as you promise to shut up,” Seulgi sighed in defeat and nodded, she doesn’t have a choice. She’s completely cornered.

The woman removed her hand on Seulgi’s mouth and started, “I’m Yuri Kwon of  The Grim Reaper Services, Inc.” she introduced, “And no, you’re not gonna die.”

“Please get off me,” she managed to say as she was running out of breath, Yuri immediately did as what she was told and sat on the bed while Seulgi was still lying face down, regaining her breath.

 “I’m here to protect you,” she continued, Seulgi sat up, “Protect me? And what are you supposed to be, a grim reaper?”

The woman named Yuri rolled her eyes— obviously, duh? “Yes—I’m here to protect and yes, again- I’m a grim reaper.”

Seulgi started laughing, “Are you serious? Where’s your black rope and scythe then?”

“Western media isn’t really trustworthy,” she glared at Seulgi who shook her head, “So are people who claim that they’re grim reapers,”

“You don’t believe me?” Yuri challenged as she crossed her arms, Seulgi nodded. “I don’t believe in such stuff.”

“I was the one who guided your first dog to the other side,” she said matter-of-factly, Seulgi’s eyebrows were furrowed, “If so, then what’s my first dog’s name and what’s his cause of death?”

“Your dog’s name is Gongju and he died of a car accident when you were five.”

At that—Seulgi doesn’t believe in the supernatural but it made her question her beliefs.

“Wha—what?” she asked, bewildered, “There’s no such way you guys exists!” she blinked, “Why do I need protection anyways?”

Yuri smirked, “You are The Mystes—a lot of spirits and demons are off of your head.”

“What the--?!”

It has been a month since Seulgi Kang accepted the fact that she’s ed because being The Mystes meant that if they eat her torch, their wish would be granted. Apparently, she’s on Earth to search for her bride or husband (?) she was sure as hell that she’s gay so bride, right?

She sighed as she sat on her office and started editing her final draft to be passed to her boss. She works as a visual designer or sometimes edits videos for music videos by artists, weddings, and other occasions that need such thing.

“Hey, Seulgi,” her friend, Moonbyul called her—Seulgi looked at her friend and smiled, “What is it?”

She gave her three folders, “These are the new interns for this year, you’re asked by the boss to show them around,” she said in monotone and Seulgi groaned. She hated interns but found them cute at the same time because of their nervousness—she hated them because she doesn’t like teaching stuff.

“Okay, when will they arrive? Is there a room ready for orientation?”

Moonbyul just shrugged, “Read the damn files, Seulgi.” With that she walked away, Seulgi whimpered in fear. Moonbyul totally woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.

She read the files of the three interns; Wendy Shon, Sooyoung Park, and Irene Bae.

“Wow, they’re good looking,” a voice said from behind and Seulgi yelped, “Yah! What the hell are you doing here?!”

Yuri was standing idly, tilting her head—she was wearing a black suit, white crisp button up shirt underneath, and black high heels.

“Protecting you?” she said in a manner that it felt like it was the most obvious thing in the world, “Don’t worry, no one else can see me except you- so if I were you, you better stop talking or these normies might think that you’re weird.”

Seulgi Kang huffed and returned to her seat, completely following Yuri’s advice. She was in her office, a small desk space allotted for her while she waits for her partner—Yeri.

The youngest in the office came dashing through the door, “Good Morning,” Seulgi quipped at her friend who smiled timidly at her, “Sorry, traffic’s heavy,” she heaved a breath as she walked to her table which was across Seulgi’s, “Are the interns here? You were asked to handle them, right?”

Seulgi nodded, “Yeah- they’ll be here in a cou—“and as if on cue, the door opened again, it was Key—her officemate whose table was a couple of rooms away from them.

“Interns are here, they’re at the lobby,” he said as he spun dramatically and walked out, Seulgi sighed. “Let’s go then,” Seulgi said out of impulse completely forgetting that Yeri doesn’t know about a grim reaper being there.

“I thought that you’re the only one who would be handling the interns?” Yeri, who was already settled on her table asked the raven haired woman who laughed nervously, “Right,” she bobbed her head, “Sorry,” with that she ducked out, Yuri following her behind.

“Gee, that was close,” Yuri said as Seulgi rolled her eyes, “Don’t do anything stupid, alright?”

Yuri mocked a salute.

When they arrived at the lobby—three girls were sitting side by side—idly chatting with each other. The other one was a tall woman who has a long and wavy hair that runs to her back, she was wearing a white dress over a black cardigan and brown sandals, she was talking to another woman who has a blonde hair, she was wearing a yellow skinny shirt that was tucked neatly on a denim pants that’s been folded to her ankles with a yellow high heels. The other woman was sitting next to them, she has a pale white, milky, skin—midnight hair that runs just above her clavicle, she was wearing a blue button up that’s been tucked in a tattered denim pants, paired with white shoes, she was reading her book, her other arm was rested on the arm of the chair while her other hand was holding her book.

Seulgi blinked, as she heard Yuri whistle at the three women. Among the three, the woman who was holding the book was the one who looked at them first.  Before she spoke, she glared at Yuri.

“Good morning,” Seulgi greeted the three—the other two looked up and they stood up in respect, the one who was reading a book followed suit.

“I’m Seulgi Kang, the head of Visual Design Department,” she introduced herself, “I’ll be handling you girls for the mean time,” she smiled at them and they nodded at her—the woman who was reading a book earlier furrowed her eyebrows at Yuri’s direction and the action didn’t go unnoticed by Seulgi.

“Let’s head to the orientation shall we?” she grinned at them as they sat on their seats, Seulgi called each one of their names and they replied courtly at Seulgi’s questions.

Irene was on her cubicle, her place was just outside Seulgi Kang’s—Seulgi’s office was made out of glass making her see what happens inside. After Seulgi toured them at the whole floor—they were also introduced at the different members or staff and Seulgi asked them nicely to be respectful since most of the people in the floor are part of the LBGTQA++ not that she was against them—she was happy that she was working with these kind of people—so are her friends who were seated a couple of cubicles away from her. (much to her dismay)

Seulgi was alone in the office since Yeri was out for lunch (everyone is apparently out for lunch but Irene was asked to stay for her to finalize her draft which she happily obliged.)

She was about to turn her computer off when she saw Seulgi again chatting with the woman who was clad in all black – the woman has been following Seulgi all day long.

She wasn’t there earlier. She squinted her eyes to make sure that there were no other passages from that room—there was only one entrance and one exit which was the door in front of her. The other door which was inside would lead to a private comfort room.

Must be a spirit—Irene thought as she stood up and her suspicions were confirmed when she knocked on the door and the figure who was sitting on the couch disappeared.

“I’m here to pass the draft,” she said to her senior who nodded, “Ah, right,” the senior nodded, “Please put them on Yeri’s table.” She pointed her index finger on the next table and she obliged.

“Thank you for your hard work.” Seulgi smiled at her, Irene couldn’t help but blush at how cute her senior looked—she has a raven hair that runs to her shoulders—the fringes were covering her eyebrows and half of her ears—her manager was only wearing a white shirt over a red flannel, boyfriend jeans and white Jordan’s.

Irene bowed to her senior and ducked out—when she was on the way to the elevator she texted Wendy and Joy where they were and they said that they were on the 26th floor’s cafeteria. She pressed the button at the 26th floor (she was on the 50th) when a figure appeared from her back.

Irene saw who it was through the reflection from the mirror and it was the lady in suit who was following her senior.

“Who are you and why can you see me?” the woman asked, Irene looked who it was and shrugged, “Mom told me that I’m special—is all,” she managed to say her monologue at spirits who always ask her why they can see them.

The figure behind her eyed her before smiling, “Great, I thought that you’re an evil witch or something,” the woman laughed and said, “I’m Yuri—a grim reaper.”

Irene tilted her head—she knew that grim reapers exists, “is Senior Seulgi gonna die soon?”

“Let’s just keep it at that,” the figure winked before disappearing again into nothingness as she arrived on her floor. Her stomach churned at the idea that someone so young would die.

Irene that time didn’t eat her lunch because she was busy thinking about her senior’s upcoming death.

Jessica was snoring soundly when an ungodly sound woke her up. She sat up and looked at the source of the nuisance; it was her sister, who was playing her brass in front of her.

“What. Do. You. Want.” Her sister glared at her and Irene just rolled her eyes as she laid her brass on her sister’s chair, “Yah, I saw a grim reaper today.”

Jessica immediately sat up—she knows what a grim reaper would look like because they have no flame inside their body. If it’s a spirit, demon, or any other supernatural- the flame would be black.

“You’re gonna die?” she asked, concern was written all over her face as she held her sister’s shoulder, Irene shook her head, “NO—my senior is.”

Jessica let out a sigh of relief, “How did you know that it was a grim reaper?”

“She introduced herself to me and asked why I can see her, she asked me what I was and it was weird—she was very protective of my senior.”

Jessica rolled her eyes, “You don’t know why do you?”

Irene beamed, “Course not, that’s why I’m here to ask you about that.”

“You didn’t listen to grandma’s stories!” she head locked her sister, “How irresonsible of you !”

Irene laughed as Jessica lets go of her, “Grim reapers are protective of their clients so that their soul would rest in peace. They are very wary of those who can see them because they might be soul eaters­. Soul eaters are just like the grim reapers but their main job is to prey on those who are near to death and make them do bad stuff so that they cannot proceed to the other life—what they usually do is eat their souls after the death of their prey.”

“Oh,” Irene nodded in understanding, “that must be why,” she said as she tilted her head, “Such a waste of life, our senior is really kind,”

Jessica patted her sister’s shoulder, “That’s the way of life, sis- you’ll never know what happens.”

“Yeah, we’ll never know what happens.”

That night, Seulgi was lying on her bed—as she touches her chest, trying to feel the flame inside her. She never knew her parents—she grew up in an orphanage and was later on adopted by kind hearted parents who has an older daughter. She grew up in that well taken care environment—when she came out to her parents and sister, they accepted her and loved her as who she is.

She was indeed lucky.

But then Yuri appeared telling her that she’s some sort of an important Mystes or something.

“What are you doing here?” Seulgi groaned when she felt Yuri sit on her desk chair, Yuri on the other hand crossed her leg over the other. “That’s why she’s so familiar.”

Seulgi sat up, looking at Yuri at the same time shooting daggers at her, “Who is it?”

“Irene Bae—she’s a Bae,”

Seulgi rolled her eyes, “Yeah, it’s in her résumé,” she said like it was the most obvious thing in the world. This time, Yuri jolted up from her seat and sat next to Seulgi, “No, you don’t understand.” She shook her head, “Her family is one of the respected Maidens of all time—they can see spirits and can tell the life span of a person,”

“And I need to know about that because..?” she raised her other brow at Yuri sighed, “We need them to see if there are dangers coming and to know how long your span of life is,”

Seulgi bobbed her head, “You can’t tell that?”

“I can’t—my powers are only limited.” Yuri frowned, “We still don’t even know what we’re up against.”

Seulgi rubbed her neck, “Thank you,”

That was a first, Yuri’s eyes widened, “What for?”

“For doing this to me—I don’t even know you but you’re here, doing whatever that you can to help me live.”

“That’s my job,” Yuri smiled as she patted Seulgi’s head, “I don’t even know myself so we’re even.”

It’s been months since Yuri and Seulgi became friends. Seulgi found out that Yuri doesn’t have a past—all that she knows is that grim reapers were people before who made ungodly stuff when they were humans—and as their punishment, they are not able to go to the other side and instead they act as a vessel of those who are going to the place where they’re supposed to be with no memories of their former selves.

“I’m going now,” Seulgi said, donning a black long sleeved shirt which was folded up to her elbows, black jeans that’s been folded just above her ankles and black Nike sneakers.

“Yeah, okay,” Yuri looked at Seulgi who furrowed her eyebrows, “Why aren’t you in your uniform?” she crossed her arms, “And are those my clothes?”

The older woman laughed as she glanced down to see what she was wearing she borrowed Seulgi’s white baggy shirt and grey boy shorts to sleep with, “I didn’t have a decent sleep since last night,” she laughed, “I’ll buy my own clothes later,” she waved at Seulgi dismissively as her eyes landed back on the television—it was 7 in the morning and her favourite show is on.

“Goodness,” Seulgi shook her head in disdain and Yuri clapped like a child when Dora appeared on the screen.

When Seulgi arrived in her office, Irene was already sitting on the couch—she looked at Yeri’s table and she still wasn’t there, late as ever. She sighed as she leaned on her table and looked at the now cold looking woman.

“Is something wrong?” she asked Irene who nodded, “Why am I separated from Wendy and Joy?”

Seulgi tilted her head, “I beg your pardon?”

“I mean, with Seungwan and Sooyoung—why are they assigned to different departments, I thought that the three of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter