The Last Song

The Last Song

 

Jiyong’s pov

So, i am here. Standing outside her room. My eyes are staring at a very pale face of Sohee. It’s been 2 weeks since the surprising night when i got to know the truth. The truth that she has been suffering from blood cancer for the past 4 years.

I feel so stupid. How come i never know about that? How come i didn’t notice her figure’s change? Her beautiful long hair that turned shorter and shorter. Her bright face at the first year that  disappeared little by little. I should have known it all….

And last night, she opened her eyes, for the very first time after 2 weeks coma.

She didn’t talk, she didn’t want to. She looked so…. Unhappy.

“Sohee, forgive me…” Sunmi cries, holding her hand.

“Why? Why did you let him know? You promised me, Sunmi… You broke that! You and Nickhun… I thought you would keep that” Sohee takes her hand from Sunmi, and throws her face. She couldn’t hide her tears too.

“Sohee i love you so much. You’re my best friend in my life. I just try to make you happy….”  Sunmi keeps crying.

“I’m not happy… Leave me!” Sohee wipes her tears and covers her face with her hand.

I can clearly hear the conversation. My heart just aches so much.

Nickhun and Sunmi slowly walk outside.

“I’m a very bad friend, Khun… I have made a mistake. I shouldn’t have told anything” Sunmi cries harder.

“No, Sunmi.. you did a right thing. Sohee just needs time to understand” Nickhun hug Sunmi.

“Can i come in?” I ask Nickhun. I really have to talk to her.

“Wait a moment, Jiyong. Let her calm her self, first” Nickhun pats my shoulder.

 

Nobody’s POV

“Your condition could be much better if only you followed the procedures…” Mrs. Hwayoung wipes Sohee’s face. She has been dealing with Sohee’s blood cancer since the first time she found it out.

“I don’t think it works. I will die after all, won’t i?” Sohee looks at her.

“Everyone was born to die at the end, Sohee. It’s about how to fight for our life. You’re a strong girl. I know that…” Mrs. Hwayoung smiles and kisses her cheek. She doesn’t know anymore how to push Sohee when she even knows that Sohee can die anytime. Sohee has been at her limit.

“I wish i were still the strong Sohee…” Sohee whispers as Mrs. Hwayoung walked outside.

Sohee lifts her body. She feels her body so heavy for lying on the bed all the time. She watches the empty room. It is so sad that she has lost her faith. Couple years ago, when she found out for the first time that she had a blood cancer, she was not this afraid. She was so sure that miracle existed. She was so sure that she would be able to deal with this, and so were her parents. But year by year passed, her condition got worse. And the worst was the fact that her parents got divorced in the middle of her struggle from cancer.

Her Dad is now somewhere she doesn't know. Her Mom is just so busy with her world. Her very caring mother is now so tired and hopeless about Sohee's condition that she tries to avoid the fact that her only daughter is fighting for a very chronic blood cancer. Sohee's mother is even much more depressed than Sohee herself.

Her tears drops again.

"Don't cry sohee..."

Sohee's eyes get widened when suddenly Jiyong stands besides her.

"What do you think you're doing?" Sohee gives her cold respond.

"I come for you, what else?" Jiyong walks closer.

"I don't want to see you. Leave me, alone" sohee ignores jiyong's face.

"Don't run from me anymore, Sohee. That night, you said you loved me, too" jiyong holds her hand.

"Now, that you've known the truth, what are you going to say? Just leave me, Jiyong. Please. Your presence just makes my heart hurted even more" sohee looks down.

"How can I leave you? I should have been in America by last week. But I left it all. I don't wanna lose you, Sohee" jiyong can't hold on his tears. His heart aches to see the girl he loves is so weak.

"I don't need your tears. I don't want your sympathy" sohee takes her hand.

Sohee wants to be strong to fight her illness. But instead of strengthen her, Jiyong makes her even more afraid.

All of sudden, jiyong hugs her. He hugs Sohee so tight, doesn't give her any small chance to escape.

Sohee feels so weird. A warmth that she only dares to dream. She doesn't know if this is a stupid thing, but she can't refuse this warmth. Slowly, she closes her eyes and put her hand on jiyong's shoulder. Sohee just knew that the most peaceful place is his hug.

"I'm scared..." Sohee opens her eyes.

"You don't need to be. I'm here. Just don't ask me to leave you, because I'll never.." Jiyong wipes her hair.

"I don't want to lose anything. I don't want you to watch me die. I don't want you to come to my funeral. I don't want it all...." Sohee starts to burst in tears.

Those words just stabbed Jiyong's heart. To be very honest, jiyong is afraid, too. He doesn't want to lose Sohee that way.

"Please don't say such things, Sohee. We have to fight together. We're not gonna talk about death. We will spend every second together" Jiyong speaks in a very sad tone. In his life, He never cries for a girl.

"I love you, Jiyong... I love you... Help me..." Sohe keeps crying. Her hands hugs Jiyong even tighter.

Jiyong takes off his hug. He holds sohee's hands and looks at her deeply.

"Listen. Start from today, i will always be here with you. You have to stop being so stubborn. Follow all the hospital procedures. Live well, eat well, sleep well, take the medicines well” Jiyong wipes sohee’s face gently.

“Thank you…” Sohee smiles a bit.

“Anything for my girl….” Jiyong winks a Sohee.

“Pardon me? My girl?” Sohee gets confused.

“Y..yes. Anything wrong? You said you loved me” Jiyong protested.

“I did, but i didn’t say i want to be your girlfriend!” Sohee pouts.

“I don’t care! You’re just my girl!” Jiyong teases her, making her cheeks turn red.

“No no! Not yet!” Sohee shakes her head.

“Are you sure?” Jiyong moves her face closer to Sohee.

“Of course!” Sohee nods proudly.

“You Ahn Sohee… stubborn girl!” Jiyong tickles Sohee’s body and smirks.

“W…what are you doing?!! Stop!!!” Sohee laughs so hard. She never laughs this hard, she never feels this happy.

“I want to make you to keep laughing and smiling like this, Sohee. Let’s see if i can…”

Jiyong whispers to his self and hugs Sohee again.