What Matters

Here's The Deal
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Yennie Kim had never had great interest in boys.

 

What was so fascinating about them anyway? That was a recurring question always revolving in the back of her mind whenever her friends would go to her side to squeal and gush about their latest conquest. Boys were gross and immature, they found sticking gum into someone's hair funny, and were always found participating in burping competitions. It was no surprise that Yennie didn't find them particularly attractive, but it wasn't until Yennie had her first ever crush in high school that she realized that she really was not interested in boys whatsoever. 

 

Her first crush had been on a classmate of hers, a girl who went by the name of Emma, a foreign student with wispy blonde hair and green emerald eyes that stuck out like a sore thumb amidst the countless asians in their community. But it hadn't been her looks that Yennie had been drawn to, it was the way in which she held herself, proud and always speaking her mind, fearless towards adversity, even when she was found to be the primary victim of most bullies because of her different racial background.

 

Yennie hadn't understood, at first, why she was having countless butterflies whenever she spoke to Emma or saw her smile, or laugh, or just anything for that matter. She was so charming, so entrancing, that Yennie decided there was something wrong with her.

 

And that was when she stumbled across the world of gays and lesbians, the lgbtq community, the queer ones, as society labelled them. Scrolling through the endless social media posts advocating for queer rights and how lesbians were just as human as any other individual, Yennie had felt a pang of belonging, her chest squeezing with recognition; this was what she was, these were her people.

 

Since then, she'd deemed herself as lesbian. Sure, she did find guys attractive once in a while, but there wasn't anything more to it. Or if there was, Yennie made sure to steer clear of it. 

 

So she shouldn't technically have been affected by any of Jungkook's suggestive looks, or the way his doe eyes would gaze at her, hooded with seduction, nor the way his body warmth would trap hers in the most delicious ways that made her head spin at his scent. A scent of pine and just...man. 

 

The first time they kissed was admittedly her fault. She shouldn't have taunted him that way, shouldn't have pressed her lips to his to urge him on. But how was she to know that it would've such an effect on her? How could she have known that feeling his hands, his lips all over her would feel like someone had basically opened up another door to reality in a way that she hadn't been perceiving it before? 

 

She thought it had merely been a coincidence. There was no way in possibility that her blood had surged like wildfire and her hands had tingled with the desire to grip him flush against hers. It had been the alcohol, or that was what Yennie convinced herself it waa.

 

And then, they kissed once more and that, that had not been accidental in the least. 

 

He'd practically knocked her off her feet, swept her into another world altogether as newly formed sensations buzzed through her blood, suddenly alive and alert to the way he touched every inch of her skin. 

 

She felt like she was drowning and coming to life at the same time. It was riveting, exhilarating...and scary.

 

This wasn't normal. She wasn't normal. She was into girls, she liked girls...so why? Why was she feeling so strung up on a young man whom she wouldn't even have spared a glance before?

 

She realized a little too late that her scalp was screaming in pain and, quickly letting her hair fall back down, she rubbed at the now sensitive scalp with her fingers with a frown.

 

"Damnit," she muttered to herself. The image of Jungkook's face suddenly flashed through her like a permanent photograph etched into her mind. The way he'd gazed down at her as he confessed was thrilling and downright horrifying at the same time. 

 

"I--I need…I need to think," was the only thing that managed to escape Yennie's mouth after his sudden confession. She had slowly backed into the door, barely able to meet his gaze, "I'll talk--I'll see you later. Yeah?"

 

A week had gone by and she hadn't seen him since, avoiding the usual hangout spots and trying her best to evade the group's text messages. Then, realizing that she wasn't going anywhere by running away, she decided that the best option to undertake was to talk to someone who actually understood what it felt like to be on the other side of the ual spectrum:

 

Min Yoongi.

 

"You have a lot of questions to answer," was the first thing he stated as soon as he opened the door for her to scurry through, eyes on alert for any sign of Jungkook's figure. She relaxed a few seconds after Yoongi stated that the said young man was out for groceries.

 

That action did not, however, go unnoticed by the blonde. He waited until they were safe inside his room and away from prying ears, before asking:

 

"What is it?"

 

Yennie snorted, "you're quick."

 

"I assumed this has to do with Jungkook," the blonde proceeded to cross his arms over his chest before throwing her a look that meant she should start talking. 

 

"I--uhm--well…"

 

She fumbled with her shirt's edge, fingers into the material to calm her nerves. 

 

Yennie wasn't used to being so open. But the need to understand this bout of desire was more important than her pride. 

 

"We kissed." 

 

Yoongi's brows shot up so high they practically disappeared under his hairline. 

 

Her next words were rushed, "and we--uh--made out. For a bit." 

 

The silence resonating throughout the room was deafening. Yoongi's gaze was intense, practically piercing through her soul as though he knew exactly what was going on through her brain that was now a massive tangled up knot. 

 

A huge sigh escaped her lips, "look I--I don't know what's going on. I--all this time, I thought that, I thought I was into girls right? And then that happened and now I don't know how I'm supposed to feel and I'm so ing scared because this has never happened before--"

 

"Hey hey, calm down," Yoongi was instantly at her side, hand on her arm and eyebrows furrowed in concern, "it's okay, Yennie. It's alright." 

 

Tears were dribbling down her face at this point, and even though she'd told herself not to break down before Yoongi of all people, she found it hard to restrain the emotion bubbling up the back of . 

 

"Why are you crying?" Asked Yoongi in a gentle murmur, "there's nothing to cry about." 

 

"Is there--Is there something wrong with--with me?" She blubbered on, "I don't get it--I thought I liked g--girls but then, then this happened and now I'm so confused--and lost. I don't--I don't know who I am anymore." 

 

His hand went into soothing circles along her back as he allowed her to calm down

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter