eight

I've Been Waiting
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Momo pores over the stack of textbooks strewn all over her study table and slumps back into her chair, overwhelmed. Three more exams to go, she notes. 

It's finals week and the last hurdle before summer vacation, and Momo looks forward to this year because unlike the years prior, she gets to spend it with new friends - Mina and RJ, whom she will be taking to her father's hotel, as promised months ago. Sana had always accompanied Momo but unlike the former, Sana never got tired of the amenities, especially since they could access it as much as they wanted to.

Finals week also meant Momo wasn't able to hang out at Mina's to see Ray and help train him. Mina had been sending video clips instead of Ray's mishaps and tricks, most of which entailed Mina's squealing or laughing at Ray's quick learning. Momo watched the videos during her study breaktimes, and promised to catch up with them when time permitted.

She stretches her arms above her head when she spots her phone light up, notifying her of her allotted 5-minute break. She picks it up and messages Mina, typing swiftly in excitement to hear from her. 

Hirai Momo [+82 1109 1020 97]: Good evening. :D No new updates about Ray-chan?

Myoui Mina [+82 0324 1020 96]: Hi Momo! It's great to hear from you too! I'm doing great, thanks for asking!

Hirai Momo [+82 1109 1020 97]: HAHAHAHAHAHA MINA

Myoui Mina [+82 0324 1020 96]: >:( 

Hirai Momo [+82 1109 1020 97]: Aww, don't be a killjoy. Of course I'd love to know how you're doing. I'm asking 'cause Ray can't speak for himself, or text. Y'know.

Myoui Mina [+82 0324 1020 96]: *rolls eyes* Okay, Hirai. Ray's doing really well, he's been eating a lot now. 

Myoui Mina [+82 0324 1020 96]: CRAP

Myoui Mina [+82 0324 1020 96]: sry, hold on

Hirai Momo [+82 1109 1020 97]: what's happening? Is everything okay????

Myoui Mina [+82 0324 1020 96]: Ray peed on my bed....

Hirai Momo [+82 1109 1020 97]: ohgod. the...two thousand dollar bed...

Myoui Mina [+82 0324 1020 96]: UGH, MOMO. yeah. That.

 

Momo laughs for a full minute before checking back on her phone, to which Mina hasn't added anything else. Momo smiles to herself, patting herself on the back mentally for gifting Mina with the fluffball that was Ray. Because even though they weren't able to hang out as much as they wanted to, Mina was never alone. Lately, she had been on a good note without an anxious episode. Momo always asked her how she was, and sometimes she'd ask Jennie about it too, to which the latter would have the same answer. Having a pet around did wonders for Mina's mental health. 

*****

"Calm down, we're not going to make it to the hotel if you're freaking out like that!" Momo grabs the car's console from the passenger seat as Mina bounces up and down in her seat, clutching the steering wheel loosely. 

"Sorry, I can't help it, I'm just so excited. Aren't you excited too, Ray-chan?" She sing-songs and glances at the rearview mirror, where Ray was lying snugly in a puppy car-seat. 

"Pretty sure he's pissed himself in the box from your unnecessary speeding up." Momo notes the beads of sweat on her forehead as she lets go gingerly of the dashboard and grips instead the handlebar above the window. "Slow down,  we're almost there. You're going to be turning on the next street, because we're taking the employee entrance. 

"Got it." Mina switches on the turn signal and follows Momo's instructions. 

"So, what time is RJ going to join us?" Momo can recline now, because Mina has slowed down and they're about to enter the hotel premises. 

"Tonight after dinner." Mina peers over the windshield as they round the corner and enter the gate, where an attendant is waving at them. 

Momo waves to the attendant as he recognizes her, and motions for them to proceed inside. 

"Must be nice for everyone to know you." Mina remarks. 

Momo rolls her eyes and lightly nudges Mina on the shoulder. "You're one to talk, Little Miss Rich Kid." 

"Isn't that your nickname?"

Their banter continues into the parking lot, where a bellhop was waiting for them at the parking space allotted for the Hirais. Momo directs Mina to park there, and as if on cue, the bellhop pops open the trunk as they stop, unloading the baggage while he greets them seamlessly. 

"Good morning, Miss Hirai and Miss Myoui. My name is JB and I'll be your bellhop on-call for the rest of your stay here." 

"Hey, JB. Good to see you! You've grown a lot taller." Momo looks at the bellhop as she steps out of the car and walks over to the back, greeting JB with her signature beaming face. 

"Momo noona." JB switches to a more casual conversation. "I've been working out, too."

"Mina, come here. This is JB." Mina appears - carrying Ray - beside Momo and bows to JB, smiling with her eyes.

"Hi, JB." 

"JB was one of the kids I met years ago. He's actually the son of one of the executives." Momo pats JB on the shoulder proudly. 

"That's cool. Nice to meet you. You can call me by my first name too, Mina." 

JB sheepishly smiles. "Oh yeah, of course I know who you are, noona." JB's eyes disappear into crescents as he smiles. "Momo noona always talks about you." He stifles a laugh and gets nudged in the ribs by Momo, who pushes him towards the bags.

JB winces in pain, but smiles again.

"Okay, JB. Let's get these upstairs to the suite, please." Momo says through gritted teeth.

Mina raises an eyebrow at Momo, who shrugs and shakes her head. 

"Let's go, Mina. I need to lie down after that awful drive on the way here." 

Mina furrows her eyebrows and huffs at Momo affectionately. Momo only grins and takes Ray from Mina's cradling embrace. 

*****

"Look at all this room to run, Ray-Ray!" Momo announces and puts Ray down on the carpeted floor of the penthouse - always reserved and ready for the Hirais whenever they visit. 

Despite her familiarity with the exquisite and the lavish, Mina had always been in awe of The Shilla's interiors and amenities. It was the way it felt so luxurious yet homey that gravitated her towards it. Being away from home and her parents, the hotel was a somewhat a reminder of her childhood: growing up in a place of high ceilings, well-decorated spaces, and exquisite services were familiar sights and sounds. Each visit with RJ to this hotel in the past was a piece of security for Mina, anchoring her in her memories of family and leisure.

And now with Momo at the foreground, she felt fully at ease to be on vacation, to be outside, and to just be herself in the company of good people. Because of her anxiety, it was always difficult for Mina to enjoy the little things, or to attach herself to moments for fear of the worst. But Momo has taught her to let go of that mindset, constantly and slowly. Having Momo around made the mundane more meaningful to Mina, and she's learned to enjoy many a small thing because of Momo's radiant outlook on life and people: to love them and be patient with them. 

Mina thought long and hard for days without end, how she could express her gratitude to Momo for always being there for her ever since they had met that night at the 24 Hours. It always seemed like Momo wanted or needed nothing, which frustrated Mina - because really, what do you gift somebody who was more than content with all that they had? 

"Ray, not the sofa!"

Momo's voice pops Mina's bubble of contemplation, and her gaze focuses on the sofa in question, where Ray had begun to raise his leg to mark it. Thankfully, Momo's swift attentiveness has her scooping Ray up and carrying him into the bathroom. 

Mina smiles to herself, wondering what other way Momo has to prove her flawlessness. She had a good balance of self-preservation and selflessness, as recounted in the numerous times Momo had come to Mina's rescue whenever she had an immediate emergency; or whenever she mad

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter