four

I've Been Waiting
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Play Walk the Moon - Avalanche while reading this update. 

 

I. 

Torrential rains pummel the roof of Director's Coffee, endangering tonight's gig. The fans were hosting a party tonight for Nayeon's birthday at the café and were expecting quite a big turnout of attendees; Momo and Sana had been put in charge of coordinating with management (aka Mina) because of their direct connection. Sana was to be emcee and hypegirl, to which she accepted without hesitation. A bonus to them being put in charge was that Sana volunteered her workplace, to promote the café and to boost her good standing with her boss.

"You know I had to dress up for tonight. You know Momo, if all goes well," Sana shifts to a whisper, "I could quit this café job and just become a full time hypegirl, not just for N&J. For all kinds of gigs, even hip-hop nights." 

"Sure, Sana. Whatever helps you sleep soundly at night." Momo sarcastically responds. Her attention is plastered on the current situation. The original plan was to have fans coming in and out as they pleased during the entire night because of the café's spacious outdoor patio. Unfortunately, they seemed to have overlooked the weather changes (to which Sana had commented, "Well, you know there's a saying that if it rains on your birthday, it's a reflection of the blessings?" but Momo just rolled her eyes). 

Momo leaves Sana practicing her spiels, as she searches the vicinity for Mina. She knows the girl was prone to break down at such an uncontrollable situation, and Momo wanted to be there to help her through it. Rather, she was to do her job to help her through it.

------------

"Hey, Momo. Why don't you stay over? Tomorrow's a school holiday anyway." Jeongyeon suggests over dinner. She had cooked for the four of them after successfully recording two demo songs with ease. They were staying over at Mina's to polish the songs the next day. 

"You can sleep in Mina's room. I heard how much you love the balcony." Nayeon snickers, poking fun at Momo's fear of heights. 

Momo frowns as she slurps her steaming bowl of soup. She's trying to formulate an excuse not to stay. For one thing, it was her first visit ever and still a stranger by some standards. Another thing, she was legitimately afraid of the panoramic view of the city from Mina's 24th floor penthouse bedroom. 

Mina raises her eyebrows in Momo's direction, watching Momo's inflections. "Are you trying to weasel your way out of Jeongyeon's invitation? Because I agree, it'd be nice for you to stay. You can crash in my room, since they're using the guest room." 

"Uhh, maybe I could use the living room sofa?" Momo haggles. 

"Are you allergic to Mina?" Nayeon leers. 

Momo shakes her head all-too violently she startles herself that she might snap her neck. "N-no? I'm sorry if it sounded rude or offensive." She turns to Mina apologetically. 

Jeongyeon laughs. "Mina would offer you her cousin's room, but Ruby's a stickler for cleanliness, and of course, it's a personal room." 

Nayeon fiddles with her chopsticks, before fishing for meat on the grill in front of them. "Ruby Jane is going to kill you for even suggesting that, Yoo Jeongyeon." 

Jeongyeon cringes. "Right." 

"You really should meet her cousin one of these days, Momo." Nayeon says deviously. 

Momo takes a sip of beer and ignores all of their chiding by helping herself to the food. 

Nayeon ignores Momo's cold shoulder treatment and continues. "Ruby Jane is just like Mina. Except that she can murder you with just her eyes. She and Mina are the same elegance-wise, money-wise, and personality-wise. Except that Mina doesn't throw dagger looks and can't hurt a fly. 

"Why are you telling me all this?" Momo quivers. "She seems really scary, Mina." She looks at the homeowner as if asking for validation of the stories. 

Mina nods sadly. "She is. Like I told you, she's the one taking care of me,and she kind of has this motherly instinct." 

"Yeah, motherly like Gothel in Tangled." Jeongyeon scandalously announces, and Nayeon hits the back of her head reflexively. 

"Ow!" 

"You deserve that, loser. For all we know, RJ's watching the CCTV now, remembering all of your stupid insults at her."  Nayeon threatens.

Jeongyeon's eyes widen in horror, and scan the room for the cameras. "I'm sorry RJ! I was just kidding! You're the best!" 

Mina and Nayeon laugh. Momo is still still in shock and decides to play it cautiously. 

"If I stay here...she won't get mad?" 

Mina smiles reassuringly at Momo. "Momo, I still own this house. And even if Jeongyeon was telling the truth about my cousin,she's not going to throw a fit and banish you from the house. On the contrary, she's going to be relieved that there are more warm bodies in this house to keep me company." 

Nayeon and Jeongyeon nod. 

Momo suddenly remembers their conversation earlier, at how Mina's anxiety comes and goes, and it's difficult for her when it happens at home. Having people around, like Nayeon & Jeongyeon, are added security measures for her mentally and emotionally.

"I see..." 

"So, it's a yes?" Nayeon beams brightly, and Jeongyeon is clapping like a seal. 

"I-I guess? But do you think I could go home to get a change of clothes?" Momo attempts. 

"Let you out and risk you bailing completely? I don't think so." Jeongyeon catches Momo's drift. "There's an entire wardrobe of fresh clothes meant especially for emergencies, and sudden guests. Mina's house is equipped for everything, Momo. I you not. There's no excuse." 

Momo sighs defeatedly. "Okay, okay. I concede. May I eat in peace, now?" 

**** 

Jeongyeon offers to do the dishes, and Momo volunteers to help, wanting to pull her weight in the house she was sleeping over at. Mina tries to dissuade her, saying Jeongyeon's sacred space is dish-washing, but Jeongyeon doesn't seem to mind. She tells Mina to help clean the studio instead. 

Momo quietly wipes the dishes that Jeongyeon has cleaned, and her pensive countenance is picked up by the older girl. 

"Hey, Momo. I hope you didn't think we were coming on too strong about asking you to stay over." 

"More like, threatening, but it's all good. I think I understood." 

"Really? Because what Nayeon and I want is to keep Mina occupied. Recording season is especially hard on her with all the work she has to do. Now that we're signed at a company, there are demands that she's not prepared to take on alone. Add her staggered anxiety to the list, we really need Mina in one piece. She's really been a treasure to us, and we wouldn't be at this label if not for her." 

Momo nods. She understands the weight of Mina's responsibility and sympathizes greatly. "Do you think...is there some way I could help?" 

Jeongyeon smiles. "That's what I wanted to hear. For now, we really just need you to be here for her. We've seen how you've worked your magic on her." 

Momo's eyes widen. "I-what? I wasn't advancing on her in any way, if that's what you mean." She flusters, and almost drops a dish, but catches it. 

Jeongyeon laughs at Momo's reaction. "No way. Of course not." There's a twinkle in Jeongyeon's eyes that Momo barely catches. "But Momo, believe us when we say you make Mina's life much brighter." 

"O-okay." Momo goes quiet for a moment, thinking about what Jeongyeon had said. She had always been one to offer whatever help she could, to the best of her capacity, and her new friends, had all her support and love. But Momo was willing to take a few more steps and go the extra mile for them. Momo was never one to mull over things too long, especially if it was anything involving people she loved and cared for. She was always willing to say yes to help them, whether it benefit her or not. To Momo, kindness was never an issue.

"I could help Mina managing you guy

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter