seven

I've Been Waiting
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Vibe check for this update, click here.

 

Hirai Momo [+82 1109 1020 97]: Hi Mina. You free to meet at the 24 Hours tonight?

Myoui Mina [+82 0324 1020 96]: Sure! I can be there by 8. Is a good band playing? 

Hirai Momo [+82 1109 1020 97]: maybe?? i need a drinking buddy. You up for it?? 

Myoui Mina [+82 0324 1020 96]: Miss Hirai, you've asked the right person. see you later!

The 24 Hours was Momo's favorite gig club - owing to the fact that they served her favorite Hite beer in below zero temperatures; that this was the first place N&J had played that sophomore Momo had watched and moshpitted at as a new fangirl; that this was where she stumbled into Myoui Mina half a year ago - whose jasmine trail had drowned out every smell, sight, and sound that night. 

For all intents and purposes, Momo thought it would be best to meet Mina here, because she didn't want the latter to feel uncomfortable in unfamiliar places. At least at the 24 Hours was neutral ground, and not far from Mina's place. Momo had gotten everything covered. 

Finals week had just ended, and all the university students were out relaxing the best way they could: chimaek -chicken & beer, bar-hopping, noraebang-karaoke, basically everything that helped them shake off all the tension of crammed studying and sleepless studying. 

Nayeon & Jeongyeon, being seniors, had to complete their requirements an additional week after finals to prepare for graduation, so they were currently holed up in the latter's apartment, crying over projects. Plus, the album had just released, and the agency had no schedules lined up for them. 

****

"So...should I just get to it?" Mina asks Momo shortly after easing herself into the bar stool next to Momo, as the older girl slides her a freshly-opened, ice-cold beer. 

"To what?" Momo tilts her head unknowingly, hoping Mina doesn't notice how terrible of a liar and an actress she is. 

"As to why we're here. What's bothering you?" Mina's lips skew into a frown, and Momo doesn't think she can get through this evening without ruining the surprise. Mina was far too fragile, and even though it was a good surprise, Momo didn't want to do anything to make the girl feel bad. 

The beads of sweat on Momo's brow mimic the condensed vapor on the beer bottle, and she tries not to stammer her response. "Well..."  it, let's just get right to it. "It's not actually about me. I know it's been a few days, and hey, hear me out -" Momo gestures to stop Mina from saying anything, "-I'm not prodding you to tell me what happened to you that night during Nayeon's party...but we - that is, me, RJ, Nayeon, Jeong, and Sana - have noticed how it kind of got to you." 

Mina's grimace slowly upturns into a small, amused smile, the same smile that paints her face every single time Momo does or says something endearing. It's as if Momo was the sunshine to Mina's sunflower. 

"Okay...go on." Mina prods, cheeks tinting pink from the way Momo's endearing clumsiness has her bouncing up and down on her bar stool.

"So, I asked permission from RJ to do this, because it's a pretty big thing, this surprise..." 

There's a surge of panic that knots Mina's chest, wondering what surprise would need consent from her cousin. Was Momo going to ask her something personal? Was she going to ask to be Mina's suitor? Mina shakes off the thoughts and tries to tune back in to what Momo was explaining. 

"...required a lot of mulling over because I didn't want it to be wrong and all-" 

"Momo." Mina cuts in sternly. "You have to tell me what it is because I swear to god I am going to have a panic attack here and now." 

Momo perks up and a wave of panic washes over her. "Oh! Okay, sorry!" Momo swivels in her seat and flails her arms at the bartender's attention, and he nods in acknowledgment. He goes into the back room, and shortly after, returns, with a carrier in his arms. 

Momo reaches for it over the bar counter and cradles it carefully on her lap. "Surprise?" Momo says in a soft voice, hoping Mina would be calmer now. 

There's an unreadable expression on Mina's face and Momo immediately recognizes it as the thought process Mina always goes through. She's seen it many times now, after spending hours and hours with the girl who always has things planned ten steps ahead; the girl who always thinks about her decisions so precisely; the girl who would be caught dead if she did anything impulsive; the girl whom Momo has learned to care about and come to like, for all that she was and is. 

This was the least Momo could do for Mina. 

"I got you a puppy." 

Momo opens the carrier door slowly and with one hand she carefully extracts a small, furry dachshund. He was less than the length of Momo's forearm, and was light as a feather. Mina's face brightens and softens at the same time, making cooing noises at the puppy as Momo hands him to her gently. 

Momo puts down the carrier and smiles at Mina triumphantly. "Do you like him? He's like three months old." 

The puppy is at Mina's hands and face, distracting Mina from Momo's question. "Sorry? What did you say, Momo? He's so adorable. He's mine?" She asks incredulously as she hugs the puppy.

"Mmhmm!" Momo nods enthusiastically. "All yours. He hasn't got a name yet, by the way. Feel free to baptize him whenever." Momo laughs, and finally takes a good long drink from her beer bottle. It always felt good to see people smile. Momo always wanted that, to help make people happy in whatever small way she could. Tonight, her heart was full, seeing Mina in a different, better light after gifting this puppy to her. 

"Do you wanna name him?" Mina turns to Momo as she holds the puppy in an embrace. Surp

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter