one

I've Been Waiting
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Listen to Purples n' Oranges - The One while reading. 

--------------

 

 

Momo's lips are pursed and there's a faint scent of alcohol and second-hand smoke in the air. There's an impatient rhythm of her sneakers against the worn-out tiles that gets its point across to the current occupant of the lavatory.

"Just a sec-I'm almost-" a panicked heaving from the cubicle Momo is standing outside of. "done."

The door swivels open, and Momo scrunches her nose at the stale, dank smell of the bar toilet, but the smell is immediately masked by a trail of jasmine, its owner looking so out of place in the dingy restroom.

"Sorry. It was hard to move around. It's such a small toilet."

Momo turns to the voice, amused at the explanation. This girl must be new to this, Momo thinks to herself.

She acknowledges, and catches but a vague detail of the girl's face. Momo perceives her to be cautious, and maybe too innocent for late-night bar gigs.

Momo registers her scent though. A searing floral note that breaks through the weighted air of smokers and alcoholics.

She does her business and returns to her table where she's waited upon.

"Did I miss anything?" Momo queries while the stage is being set for the next band.

"No. But our favorite duo will be throwing a party here next month. To launch their next single." Sana - a glittering, cotton-candy crowned beauty whose wardrobe consists solely of ripped denim shorts and tie-dye tops, radiates in this dimly-lit space - reports to Momo.

She's smacked on the arm. "The ? I missed big news!" Momo's eyes are wide as she scans the crowded bar for the musicians they came for. "Did they say which song?"

"No. Jeong said it was a surprise, so that everyone has to come to the launch to find out. Because they've made an alternate version, apparently." Sana makes a hand gesture at "alternate" as if it were a new discovery of sorts.

Nayeon and Jeongyeon were Momo's favorite indie performers. They were a duo who played all-acoustic sets, and their folk notes were Momo's religion. She and Sana had been supporting them for two years now. The duo were upperclassmen at the University, and Momo only knew them by face, though she had encountered them at sports fests, and the dorm parties. Momo was content with being just a fan, but maybe the day would come when she'd muster up the courage to approach the two. Maybe she could try tonight.

"Are you looking for them? They stepped out already. Maybe for a beer break, or they're packing up." Sana reads her best friend's face all too easily.

Momo grabs her beer and haphazardly walks through the crowd and makes a beeline for the door. She doesn't know what she wants but maybe the excitement from a new release, and the spike of this new beer she had tried tonight is igniting her bones and dulling her senses in all the right places.

The momentum from her exit ends prematurely as she misses a step down from the door and she lunges forward, unfortunately into someone.

Someone who smelled of jasmine perfume.

"I am so-" Momo's gaze focuses on the aggrieved, immediately scanning for any sign of offense, "-sorry."

She recognizes her as the girl from the lavatory.

The first thing Momo registers upon sight of the girl is how she was like moonlight. Impossibly so, because this bar has never had good outdoor lampposts, so it was puzzling to see her glow on her own. She looked like she had skin so soft, Momo was compelled to smooth her hand over those cheeks.

The next thing Momo notes, is how this girl's eyes glimmer like starbursts, glazed so naturally that it almost seemed teary. The eyes shape into crescents as the girl smiles at Momo's dazed apology.

"It's okay. Drunk already? That's not a strong beer, you know." She laughs.

The third thing Momo notices is the chime-like laugh that has tickled her ears. Like expensive, glass chimes she could never afford to buy or even touch, that laugh felt all-too unreachable.

Momo lifts the bottle up to inspect it closer, suspecting Sana had swapped her beer for a more potent liquor, but she hadn't - and she was heavily tolerant, so this stupor was all her, all sober Momo, slack-jawed at the sight of this human being, sticking out like a rose in this bar of thorns.

"You looked like you were in a hurry. Are you catching an Uber?" the girl inquires.

Momo scans around again for any sight of the musicians. She frowns at the failed sweep. "No. Actually I was looking for the performers... Nayeon and Jeongyeon."

"Oh. Fan of them, aren't you?"

Momo nods and sips her beer dejectedly. Maybe next time. "Yeah. You?"

The girl smiles a triumphant smile that Momo becomes wary of. "I'm Mina. Their manager."

The beer almost makes its way up through Momo's nose as she chokes at the introduction.

Maybe tonight was the night she'd finally meet her idols; it was incredible at how circumstances aligned. How serendipitous.

Momo refuses to jinx anything good from the Universe, so she composes herself after an unsalvageable scenario of choking uncouthly in front of a lady.

"Would you like to meet them? They're in the parking lot, taking a break." Mina probes Momo's face that's about to explode of internal excitement.

A withered "yes" is all Momo manages, but she realizes she has left Sana inside, and it would be unfair to the girl who has been her ride and die through every little thing they've loved to do.

Mina smiles in clear amusement. "Come on. I'll take you to them."

"Is it okay if I call my best friend? She really likes them too."

"Sure thing, I'll wait for you guys here."

Momo nods and thanks Mina profusely. "I'll get you a drink too, thank you so much!"

****

"Sana, this is Mina, N&J's manager." Momo tries to keep herself composed as they walk to the van, introducing Sana to Mina while on their way.

"I can't believe this luck. Momo, you're finally going to meet them." Sana squeals and grabs Momo's arm.

"So, where'd you guys hear them first?" Mina asks out of interest, and maybe as a manager checking out demographics.

"Well, they're actually seniors from our university, so we've watched them play since the beginning."

Mina frowns, "Well, why didn't you befriend them at uni, then?"

Momo sheepishly grins. "Well, it's a really big school and I keep chickening out when we get the chance to even say hi."

Sana agrees and turns her attention to Mina. "Momo panicked when they were walking towards us in the hallway and she walked in the other direction. Away from clas

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter