six

I've Been Waiting
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Momo?"

Momo had been tiptoeing out of Mina's room when a voice had startled her in the living room. She had forgotten about Mina's cousin, whom she had met a few hours ago. 

"Oh, hey." Momo eases herself and turns to Jennie, sitting in the living room, typing away on her laptop. 

"Are you leaving? It's past 1am." Jennie says with a tantamount volume of concern. 

Momo fidgets in place, "Yeah, it's okay. I'm kind of used to going home at this hour - you know, gigs." She shrugs, hoping the music producer would understand. 

Jennie smiles, but her eyes never leave Momo's face. "Do you drive, Momo?" 

"Oh, I didn't take a car to come here tonight." Truth be told, Momo wasn't a fan of bringing her own car because of her quick-tempered driving.

As kind and understanding Momo was as a person, driving turned her into a completely different individual. She had gotten her license in the freshman year of college, and in her eagerness to drive, she proposed that she would drive Sana to school every day for the rest of their college years. This had been short-lived, that they only drove to school until the middle of sophomore year, because Momo had grown more and more neurotic - so much so that Sana almost signed Momo up for an anger management class. On one memorable instance, the pair were sanctioned late to first period because of Momo's altercation with an elderly driver who hadn't switched their turn light on, thereby startling Momo when the car swept over to her lane. Sana tried to talk Momo out of chasing the car, but the latter did, three blocks away, until the elderly lady stopped at at a supermarket. Momo had followed to confront, saying how easy it would be, so Sana could just "stay in the car, it'll be quick." Unfortunately, the elderly lady was a retired lawyer, and despite Momo being in the right, the lady would not budge at all, dismissing Momo's concern for "her life still ahead of her," which the lady took offense from, saying "Are you saying that I'm good as dead?" And proceeded to accuse Momo of unrelated things.

In the end, Sana stepped in to pacify things, and ultimately dragged Momo from the parking lot back to her car while the latter screamed relentlessly at the elderly lawyer. It was mostly out of embarrassment that Sana had declined Momo's offers to be driven to school, and Momo sooner realized that she wasn't treating anyone well when she was behind the wheel. She had seen her temperament when Sana secretly recorded Momo's road rage on the way home from university. Momo cringed in disbelief, watching over and over, zooming in, and denying that it was her driving. "Oh, but it is." Sana had kept that video safe and in her phone, to remind Momo of how different she was driving. Momo had never driven to school since. She had only used her car on long trips back to her parents' house, or on occasional rainy days where it was impossible to walk and take the subway to school. 

"Oh. Take our extra car, then. You're coming back tomorrow, right? You can bring it back then." Jennie offered - sounding more like an command rather than a suggestion.

Momo's eyes widened, and was about to retort when Jennie stood up and walked over to the front door, where a small drawer held keys, including to the car she was lending Momo. 

"No excuses, Momo. It's really the least I can offer you." Jennie held up the keys and Momo automatically t. In her mind, she wondered what other form of gratitude this family had, because in her world, cars weren't offered as thank yous. "Drive safe, and thank you for keeping Mina company."

Momo takes the keys and holds it cautiously. She nods, "You're welcome." 

Before Momo could step into her shoes, Jennie takes her by the wrist, and asks in a discreet tone, "Did she tell you what happened?" 

Momo shakes her head, eyebrows creased. "No...And I didn't want to push. I think I implied that she could tell me whenever she felt comfortable to do so...or when it's okay to share the information." 

Jennie lets go of Momo, and sighs in relief. "Okay. Momo, you're a really good person. This family owes you." 

"Please, it's nothing...I mean...shouldn't we all be nice to each other?" Momo sheepishly answers. "But thank you for the trust." 

"Drive safe, Momo. See you tomorrow." 

******

 

"You're a really good cook! What can you not do?" 

A fork scrapes the empty plate Mina was eating breakfast from, and Momo laughs at how Mina was gesturing for more food. 

Jennie and Mina sit at the sleek countertop table while Momo continues to make them a hearty breakfast. Three of the stovetops are used simultaneously, and Jennie comments how watching Momo cook was like being at a cooking show studio. 

"Have you been to one?" Momo asks curiously while flipping a perfect pancake easily. 

"Yeah, one of my colleagues used to be the stage director of this one show on the network. It was crazy, and being able to smell everything in the studio while they cooked was such an experience. That's what I'm getting here, right now." Jennie motions with her chopsticks and points to all the side dishes and breakfast food that Momo had prepared for them. 

"Oh! I remember that. You came home smelling like grilled meat." Mina notes, and takes another bite of a banana pancake. 

"My poor coat." Jennie whines. 

Momo tries not to laugh, but gets caught by Jennie anyway. "First world problems, right?" Mina and Momo laugh. It's in the back of Momo's mind yet again as to how different Nayeon & Jeongyeon perceive Jennie to be. She mentally notes to ask them what their experience was with Jennie. 

"Hey, Momo? Maybe you could stop cooking for now, and have breakfast with us?" Mina says. "It's not fun when we're watching you cook while we eat." 

Momo obliges, and finishes off the pancake, stacking it atop the rest of the pancakes on the countertop and returns the pan on the stovetop. There's a joke in her head that she can risk, because the two were busy scarfing down heartily what Momo had made for them. "What, you don't watch your personal chef when they cook for you?" She rests an elbow over the counter, palm cradling her chin. 

It's Mina who throws her a joking glare. "Of course not." 

And it's as if a mental connection has prodded Jennie to continue with "Yeah. We're called after they finish preparing the food."

It's the first time Momo laughs freely in front of the two, who exchange high-fives at such coordinated humor. But Mina is quick to amend before Momo is led to believe they're spoiled, rich girls.

"But no, seriously." Mina skews , thinking. "Okay...wait. It was half a joke. We did have a chef."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter