CHAPTER 2

ACE OF HEARTS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

APRIL

Eunbi sits with her legs crossed in the sand, her free fingers running through the soft grains and the others gripped around a bottle of cheap beer. 

 

The breeze is chilly and she should have worn a jacket. She brings the green bottle up to her lips, the cheap booze burning the back of . It is a nice burn though. The kind that tells you soon everything will be forgotten and nothing will matter.

 

She has nowhere to be so she takes another mouthful of beer and winces as it hit the back of .

 

"You know, there are better places to get drunk, right?" says a familiar voice comes from behind her.

 

She turns her head round, looking up at the tall figure. The sun is almost gone now, leaving the beach in an almost dark state but she doesn't need to see the face of the person to know who it is because the voice is kind of unforgettable. 

 

"What are you doing here?" asks Eunbi.

 

She turns back around and looks up at the sky again, the pink fading slowly into an orange as the sun continues to disappear.

 

Sojung takes a seat next to Eunbi before she answers the latter, "I was walking past and I thought....... I thought I saw someone I know? So I came over and sure enough, it is you Jung ' you' Eunbi."

 

"Shouldn't you be at work?" asks Eunbi again flatly. She doesn't expect Sojung to be here. She just wanted to get drunk and sit on the beach without any thoughts or anyone.

 

Sojung shakes her head immediately. "No. I start in an hour." 

 

"Why are you here, really?"

 

She couldn't hide the annoyance in her voice. It could be because of the beer and partly because a few weeks ago she had promised herself she would have nothing to do with the woman next to her but here they are again.

 

"Because...." says Sojung and then she stops herself. She doesn't deserve this treatment from Eunbi.

 

"Jesus, what the are you asking, Eunbi? I'm here for a walk. Sorry for not checking if your miserable was going to be here. I'll remember to ask next time." continues Sojung angrily. 

 

She could see the fire in Sojung's eyes without even having to glance once at her, the same fire that they held back in the cafe.

 

Sojung starting to get used to the y Eunbi already. Two times are enough. "Should not you be at home? Don't you have work or whatever fancy crap it is you do with your life?"

 

She looks at Sojung this time, "What do you mean fancy crap? What is it you think I do?"

 

Sojung let out a laugh, "I don't know, you look like the woman who works in a nice office and has an expensive suit for every day of the week." 

 

The laughter caught her attention, she forgets about her promise to never have anything to do with Sojung ever again. Why can't things just be simple? Sojung and Eunbi are supposed to be simple, they were supposed to be a one night stand and that was it.

 

Sojung is not supposed to ask for a meetup or care about her. The worst thing is that Sojung like her, care about her and wanted to be with her. 

 

On the other hand, Eunbi only knows that the love of her life just died, currently drunk again, and sits at the beach with no purpose at all.

 

"I'm a choreographer. I create a dance movement for singers," answers Eunbi after a long time of looking up at the sky.

 

Their conversation keeps going as Eunbi finally lays on the cold sand and begins to close her eyes because her head is heavy from the drink she has earlier. Sojung's voice once again makes her feel warm.

 

Twenty minutes later Eunbi is forced to open her eyes because she is being pulled back up by Sojung who's now has a cigarette hanging from her lips. Sojung holds Eunbi's gently.

 

"I want to sleep."

 

Sojung forms a smile on her lips, "I have work soon and I'm not leaving you alone on the beach." says Sojung as she looks at Eunbi up and down. "Even when you're being a ."

 

"You know.....i'm not normally such a ...I don't think but maybe I am now."

 

Sojung blows the smoke of her cigarette to Eunbi's face. She adores Eunbi a little too much, Eunbi manages to be cute in her drunk state.

 

Eunbi looks at Sojung with droopy eyes, "I'm sorry."

 

The tall bartender smiles between her cigarettes and she places the cigarettes between Eunbi's lips, "You need it more than I do."

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Yerin is what wakes Eunbi up the next morning. She certainly didn't remember being in Yerin's couch when she falls asleep.

 

A steaming mug of coffee is now being placed on the glass table in front of her.

 

"It's Sojung," says Yerin as she holds Eunbi's phone.

 

Eunbi sits up in instant, "You answered my phone?!"

 

Yerin scowls her face like a worried mother. "Yeah, I did! I wanted to know what the hell happened last night!" 

 

Eunbi snatches her phone from Yerin with a death glare which making Yerin turn around and leave but not before she could show a middle finger at her best friend.

 

A minute later Eunbi's phone ringing and it is Sojung.

 

"Hey Sojung..."

 

"Well, you sure as hell sound like a healthy human. I was going to ask how you feel but I think I've got my answer." replies the latter mockingly. 

 

"Thank you."

 

"For wha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter