CHAPTER 3

ACE OF HEARTS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

JUNE

 

By the end of May, Eunbi sold her apartment. She found a gorgeous new place opposite the beach, cried over the price, been convinced by Sojung, and Yerin to buy it. She finally bought it and moved all her stuff into her new home. It was easily the busiest two weeks of her life. 

 

The apartment she bought was the place of her dreams. It is an open plan with large windows and a balcony. The bedroom is a medium-sized room, the bathroom is en-suite and the shower has the perfect water pressure. Her favorite part will be the walls painted in pale, warm colors with a dark oak floor. She chose to live across the road from the beach for a reason; it is her favorite place to be, no matter what time of year it was. She can smell the sea and the sand while looking at the great blue sky and summer is never looking better.

 

The phone in her back pocket started to buzz and she unwillingly pulls it out and hit the answer button.

 

"Hi Eunbi, you busy?" a great familiar voice comes through the speaker next to Eunbi's ear. "Are you drunk?" asks Sojung jokingly.

 

She smiles at the questions, she remembers the event that took place on the same shores last month. "Jesus. No, I am not drunk! For the last time Kim Sojung, I do not have a drinking problem!" 

 

"Yeah, whatever." The bartender's laugh causes her to smile. "Well, if you're not busy tonight, SinB and I are having a party thing. Up for it?" 

 

She is about to ask why Sojung planning a party and not at work, but then she remembers the lucky bastard got three nights off a week. And apparently, tonight is one of those nights. 

 

She has nothing to do tonight. The party sounds great, especially one being held by Sojung and SinB. From what she'd heard, their parties were always good.

 

But on the other hand, is she really up for a party? She hasn't actually seen anyone but Sojung and Yerin since March, she only vaguely knows SinB. 

 

At a party, there will be a ton of people she'd never met before. On top of that, there will be a drink which she wants to avoid at all costs now. The last thing, she's being chased by deadlines, she has to stay sober to be able to create her masterpiece.

 

She sits and thinks about this for several minutes before Sojung continues to say "If you're coming, be here for ten-ish, bring whatever you want. You can stay over if you like and I'll give you a lift back tomorrow."

 

There is a sound of SinB shouting something in the background and Sojung gave a quick 'bye' and hung up, leaving her with the impossible decision. To party or not to party.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

By nine-past ten, she stands outside Sojung's apartment. She has a bottle of half-empty wine in one hand and a packet of crisps in the other. She isn't sure about 'bring whatever' so this is what she could bring.

 

Someone opens the door, and it is not Sojung or SinB. It is a woman with cute bang and completely looks fine.

 

"You're Eunbi?" says the woman before a stream of smoke escaping her lips.

 

"I- er, yeah. Eunbi. I'm Jung Eunbi."

 

"Um okay, cool. Come in." says the woman. She shifted so Eunbi could make her way.

 

She gets hit by a wall of thick smoke and smell she hasn't smelt since high school, it was the sickly smell of pot. The lights are dim and the sound of a rock band she never heard of plays through the speakers. The drawn curtains and crowd of people made the apartment feel less inviting. She follows the woman through into the lounge, the wine and crisps in her hands feeling remarkably out of place. 

 

"Kim! Your girlfriend is here!"

 

"Not my girlfriend. You ." says Sojung appears from the kitchen area, she gives the woman a stern look before turning to Eunbi. "Hey! I didn't think you'd come?" she grabs Eunbi's hand and drags her away to the kitchen.

 

"Yeah, well. Full of surprises I guess. I, um, brought some stuff." her smile spread across her face and she held up the crisps and wine. Sojung laughs cutely. She looks around for a few seconds, "Who is that woman you called ?"

 

"Her name is Yoo Hyein." answer Sojung, she takes the snack and drinks from Eunbi to place it in the kitchen.

 

Sojung motions her hand to the other woman who stood in the corner of the small kitchen, "Oh, this is Kang Seulgi. I work with her at the bar."

 

"Hey there..." waves Seulgi.

 

"Seulgi, this is Eunbi. I met her at the bar... My life revolves around the bar..." mumbles Sojung, attempting to clear up some of the empty cups, food wrappers, and cigarette butts.

 

"Hey, Seulgi..." replies Eunbi as she gives Seulgi a small wave before Seulgi goes back to her party mode.

 

"Parties are stressful when you're not drunk." sighs Sojung, dumping all the trash into the bag. "Especially when they involve SinB's friend. Do you want a drink?"

 

Eunbi eyes are shifted towards the table full of different alcohols and she should say no because responsibility is piling up and she's trying to get sober but the idea of a drink and a good evening is far too tempting for her to ignore.

 

Sojung knows Eunbi well and those months are enough for her to know Eunbi could never resist a drink and not to say Eunbi's an alcoholic. She picks out a bottle of beer and hands it to Eunbi, "Just one, okay!"

 

"Most of these people are SinB's friends," continues Sojung, taking a beer for herself and pulling the top off in that ridiculously attractive fashion she did it in. Her eyes go to the lounge again, "They're all weird and high but they're pretty sweet people..."

 

Eunbi follows Sojung's gaze and nods her head. When Sojung said they were all high, she isn't lying.

 

"Guys," shouts Sojung from beside Eunbi, tapping on the side of her bottle. "This is my recently widowed, alcoholic friend Jung Eunbi. Be nice to her and have a great time!" She flashes

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter