CHAPTER 4

ACE OF HEARTS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

DECEMBER

The rest of the year past quickly and Christmas is just around the corner. Surprisingly, everything is well and almost normal in Jung Eunbi's life. 
 
Yuju is gone and there is nothing she could do about it. She still loved Yuju. Of course, she did but she couldn't bring her back again and that is something she finally started getting used to. It was is nice to feel like it's normal.
 
Oddly, she has lost the spark she once had for work. The only thing that makes her get up in the morning is the idea of talking to Sojung on her way to work. She makes a habit of calling Sojung every morning and it is nice to have someone to talk to on the way to work where it's freezing cold walks. She never understands why Sojung never gets annoyed at her for calling every morning as early as 8AM.
 
Christmas day arrives fast and right now Eunbi is surrounded by decorations, food, and presents that's waiting to be wrapped. It reminds her of the plan that she and Yuju planned last year to spend the holiday away in Canada
 
Instead of the white mountains of Canada, Eunbi finds herself looking up at the high cemetery gates and small snowflakes twirling around her head. She isn't exactly sure how she ends up here, she steps out for a walk before she stops by Yerin's for the holiday celebrations and somehow here she is.

This is the first time since the day Yuju had been buried. Yuju's grave is just under a willow tree. It is totally cliche but it is a nice spot and it is the only thing she and Yuju's parents had agreed on. A feeling of guilt bubbled in her stomach as she looks at the black headstone. Yuju has been here for months and she hadn't been here to see her once.
 
"Hey," she calls.

"Sorry I haven't been in so long..." she continues as the wind begins to pick up now, it shook the willow tree that she sits under and blows the last remaining leaves onto the ground.
 
"I- um, I miss you," she says a little louder now, hot tears running down her freezing cheeks. "I miss you so much Yuju. Everything is different without you around..."

She brushes at her eyes as she thought of what else to say. Crying is not going to help, she had enough of crying. "I-er, I moved. I think you'd like it, it's really nice. It even has a balcony, it looks right out across the beach... Kinda expensive but like you always said, money is there to be spent," she laughs, and then she smiled right after.
 
The cold turns her body numb and the snowflakes begin to fall harder. She decides it is probably time to head home and get ready for Yerin's Christmas Party. 
 
"Merry Christmas, Choi Yuna." 
 


----------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Yerin's house is ridiculously hot, the smell of cooking food and cinnamon fills the house. Almost all of their friends are here.
 
She stares at Yerin who's rushing around several pots on the stoves but she couldn't help because apparently, Yerin wanted to do this alone. 
 
"Jesus! Jung Yerin, do you need help?"
 
"Nope..."

"Really? Our friends are going to starve to death while waiting for the food, just let me do something because I don't know what else to do besides staring at you...."
 
Yerin couldn't handle the situation anymore and maybe a little help from Eunbi not going to hurt at all. The only thing she hopes that Eunbi would not spoil the foods.

"Fine...just cut the onion. I honestly can feel that you're staring at me with that pathetic face."
 
Eunbi realizes she hasn't exactly felt great and being pathetic around Christmas is a curse, "What? I'm not wearing a pathetic face!" 

"You are."
 
"Okay, maybe I am a little bit........." Eunbi couldn't help it. Usually, the Christmas party was always held at hers and Yuna's. Yuna would do the cooking and Eunbi did the hosting.
 
"Don't even say it, Jung Eunbi. Do not even say it." glares Yerin she turns back to the stove and mixing a few pans. She would not let Eunbi feel

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter