Snow Light Festival Pt. I

The Artist of Sapporo (TWICE SaHyo AU)

Saturday, January 25th. The day of the Sapporo Art Park’s Snow Light Festival finally came. It is long awaited by locals as it only happens once a year in one night. Other than the ones shown in the art park’s museum and gallery, various of local artists from Sapporo are invited to showcase their beautiful pieces and works. Some even from different regions. There are different booths and stations set up solely by the art park where it varies from selling souvenirs to serving food to setting up mini art studios and a lot more. And at the end of the festival, they always have a firework show where people gather at the walled waterfalls to watch it.

They also have different themes each year. And this year’s theme is “Light Among Cold”.

“Hyung, what does light among cold mean?”, Chaeyoung asked as she read the flyer.

Jeongyeon raised her brow and said, “How should I know? I’m not the handler, am I?”, Jeongyeon chuckled as she put back the glassware inside the cabinets. She checked the time and it’s almost three in the afternoon and she has to pick Mina up from the company in thirty minutes. She smiled when she remembered how Mina had been talking about the festival since yesterday. For sure they’ll be doing a lot of things so they can enjoy it wholly for the rest of the night because Mina is really excited for it.

They’re now closing the bar so they can go to the festival, which starts at about five. It would be a waste if they just closed for today, so they opened the bar in the morning to at least serve a few to gain some extra income.

“Are you coming with us?”, Jeongyeon asked and looked at Chaeyoung who sat on the front bar as she continued to read through the flyer.

“Nah. I’ll catch up, though. I’ll go with Somi and we’ll just ride the bus.” Chaeyoung went down from the bar and gave the flyer back to Jeongyeon.

“Alright. Make sure you guys won’t do anything stupid.” Jeongyeon smiled as she put her hand on Chaeyoung’s head and ruffled her hair. “And don’t forget to lock the doors before you leave.”

Chaeyoung laughed as she swatted Jeongyeon’s hand away. “And make sure you and Mina-san won’t do much PDA. It cringes the hell out of people, you know.”, she teased while Jeongyeon just stuck her tongue out at her and left.

Chaeyoung sighed and thought how lucky people can be when they find the perfect person for them. It’s like a million puzzle pieces out there and one has to find the perfect fit for themselves. There are also times when you thought you’ve found the piece for that space. But when you try to put it in place, it actually doesn’t fit. And then you try your best to find the right one under the other million.

What a luck.

She put the chairs up on the tables and arranged the bottles at the back bar. She cleaned the front bar although it was already wiped by Jeongyeon; she just wanted to double check. She went to the back room to see if there are any more mess, but it seems like everything is good.

She looked at the time and it’s already half past three.

She went outside and locked the doors. Somi told her to meet at Odori and message her when she’s on her way.

The festival is a good time for lovers. It’s a great night to spend moments together where a couple could just walk around the park hand in hand while eating crepe, or participate in some games and win together, or something else that’s fun for both. A lot can be done in one night. A lot can happen in one night. She thought how amazing it would be to go to the festival with a significant other.

She chuckled when she thought that Somi is her significant other since they’ve been the best of friends for years. Aside from Jeongyeon being her “hyung”, people could say that Chaeyoung and Somi are close to being siblings as well. She’s thankful she has someone like Somi, who always has her back in everything she does.

 

Jihyo woke up feeling a lot better this morning. In fact, she woke up in a good mood like she was refreshed and cleansed from yesterday. She thought that this day should be her rest day since she hasn’t actually had any ever since she arrived here.

She’s excited for the festival since she’ll be able to enjoy and at least distract herself from everything that has been bothering her for the past days. And she’ll finally be able to meet Daniel Karavan and talk to him about the splendors of their lives as artists.

Mina, who had been messaging her since this morning, told her that they should meet at the Art Park by five so they can see the opening together.

Jihyo smiled when she read the message Mina sent her just now.

“I’m going with Jeongyeon. We’ll see you there :)”

And attached to it is a photo of her smiling while Jeongyeon is pouting and driving in the background.

She is happy for both of them because the two are very fortunate to have found each other since it’s not always for someone to find another. It takes time and patience and also a huge load of sanity and courage to prepare oneself to whatever consequence that awaits beyond its discovery.

That’s just how it is.

Jihyo thought how untimely things could be. If she had met Sana in another time, perhaps earlier, it would’ve been a different and better story for her.

But this is a festival and it’s something that everyone should enjoy so she strayed away from the thought.

She looked at the painting of the view at Odori. It’s finished but she can’t point out what it lacks. She felt like there should be something else that should be placed there.

She just shrugged her shoulders and try to get back at that later on.

She went down to the ground floor and the receptionist called her.

“Good afternoon, Ms. Park. You seem to be in a good mood today.”

Jihyo smiled and politely said, “I think I woke up with a better air around me so that’s why.”

“That’s good to hear. Anyway, someone was looking for you earlier this morning. And I just told him that you haven’t come down since last night.”

Jihyo creased her brows and thought who it might be. “Did he tell you his name?”

She shook her head. “No. But he gave me this.” She handed out a package that seems like it has been bounded by tape a lot of times.

But Jihyo’s phone suddenly rang. And it was Mina calling.

“Yes, Ms. Myoui?”

“Ms. Park, we’re here at the Art Park now, by the waterfalls. And I think it’s going to start in about half an hour.”

She can hear Jeongyeon speaking in the background. “Oh Mina! Look at that! Let’s go there!”

Jihyo chuckled when she heard how she sounded a bit childish. “Later when the opening ends, okay? Ms. Park, I’m sorry about that. We’ll see you later. Take care.”

“Alright. I’ll be on my way. Thank you for telling me, Ms. Myoui.” She ended the call and faced the receptionist. “Uh, I’m sorry but can you hold onto it for a while? I need to go somewhere.”, she smiled.

“No problem, Ms. Park. Take care.”

She looked at the time and it’s only a few minutes past four. It isn’t snowing so there would be no problem on the road. And fortunately, there isn’t much traffic so she would get to the art park without delay.

 

“Jeongyeon, don’t be too loud when I’m on the phone.”, Mina scolded her and softly hit her on the arm.

“I’m sorry. But I got excited when I saw those.”, Jeongyeon pouted and pointed at the booth by the walled waterfall where there are about over a hundred lanterns. Only the first few can get the lanterns since it only has a limited number. It will be lit up and released into the sky before the festival ends, right before the firework show.

Mina sighed and smiled softly. “Alright. Let’s get two of them.”

The lanterns are arranged according to their colors. There are white, black, and red. They had different and unique designs in each. There were paintings, illustrations, and etches on each such as flowers, people, dragons, temples, trees, skies and a lot more of varieties.

Placed in front of each row, there is a signage that explains the meaning of each lantern color.

Jeongyeon and Mina carefully read through each to find the perfect lantern that matches for each of them.

“White – means peace and tranquility. Friendship that never knows anger and pest, only amity as their souls tame each other for they learn in one another’s reversible artifice. A company that no other shall have. Never each shall leave the other in lonesome for they will forever be by each other’s side as a promise to their bounded platonic souls. Never can they be separated for they will always be together in their hearts and minds.

Black – means dedication and delight. Family that always has the light in their hearts no matter how bold and harsh the shortcomings someone can or may bring upon. Warmth found in each brings about the happiness that covers each other’s home for there shall never be a quiver nor shudder under the coldness of misfortune.

Red - means passion and love. Romantic lovers bounded and destined to be together ever since reincarnation as the deities of Love have the will to bring together different bodies of two into a soul and heart of one. With their truthful wisdom and love bestowed upon, fate among the two people cannot be tarnished as destiny wills their bond to be strong and unbreakable. Once separated, they will always find their way back to each other’s loving embrace.”

Jeongyeon and Mina looked at each other. Mina smiled and blushed when she thought of the color that describes them the best. When Jeongyeon noticed Mina felt flustered, she also thought of the perfect color that conveys the meaning between them.

She confidently smiled and said, “Definitely white.”

Mina slowly dropped her smile as her face put out a look of irritation. “You know, Yoo Jeongyeon, I’m starting to regret giving you a second chance.” She looked at Jeongyeon and gave her a sharp stare.

Jeongyeon let out a soft giggle and pinched Mina on the cheek. “Mina-chan, you never get used to me joking around.” She walked over to the red lanterns and took two. She smiled as she proudly showed it to Mina. “We both know this is the right one.”

Mina just can’t get over with how Jeongyeon could really be so immature most of the time. But Mina also finds it adorable and that’s one of the reasons why Mina loves her so much.

She moved closer to Jeongyeon and whispered, “Good thing you know.” She pulled her softly and kissed her on the cheek. Jeongyeon couldn’t hide her blush away and smiled widely as she looked back at Mina and kissed her on the forehead.

“Next time make sure you land it right here.” She puckered her lips and smirked as she leaned.

Mina just pushed her face away and whispered, “For god’s sake, Jeongyeon. We’re out here in public.”

Jeongyeon noticed there were already a number of people coming in the park. She saw Mina blush as she tried to look away from her gaze, avoiding attention from people.

She just smiled and thought how lucky she really is to have Mina give her a second chance. And here she is by her side, making new moments together filled with joy.

Jeongyeon turned to one of the park staff. “How much for two of these?”

“Oh, it’s free. And are you two together?”, the staff asked and both of them smiled and nodded.

The staff smiled at the sight of the two visibly in love with each other. “Oh, you see, each lantern is only for a pair. So, you may choose one of the two.”

Mina picked the one with the golden etches of a dragon that encircled the whole lantern where pink and white flowers flowed above and below it.

“Why the dragon instead of the two people by the sunset?”, Jeongyeon asked as she looked at Mina with a slight surprise. Although Mina is appreciative of any kinds of design, Jeongyeon had always known her to be fond of cute things.

“Because that dragon is going to be me if you don’t start behaving.”, Mina giggled and took the lantern from Jeongyeon. She looked at the design closely and she’s amazed hoe each of the lanterns were designed wholly by hand.

“You could also write on the space in the middle.”, the staff pointed as he handed a gold and white marker to Mina. “It could be anything. A short letter, a wish, or anything at all.”

Mina removed the cap of the golden marker and started writing. Jeongyeon moved closer to see but Mina moved and blocked her view.

“That’s unfair, Mina-chan.”, she said as she tried to peer over Mina’s shoulder.

“You can read it later when we light it up.”, she laughed and looked at Jeongyeon who made a sulky expression. “Now, you write on the other side.” Mina handed the white marker.

“Don’t look at mine, either.” Jeongyeon bent over and covered her writing with her other hand.

“Hyung! Mina-san!”, Chaeyoung called and waved as she passed through the crowd with Somi walking behind her.

“It’s good you guys got here on time, Chaeyoung!”, Mina exclaimed and hugged her.

“Somi! It’s nice to see you again.”, she pulled her to a tight hug. “Why does it seem like you get taller every time I see you?”, Mina giggled as she eyed Somi’s height.

“Ah, I think it’s just that Chaeyoung is smaller than me, so I look a bit tall.”, she laughed and patted Chaeyoung’s back.

“Oy, that’s mean. You should be thankful that it makes you look tall every time you’re with me.”

Chaeyoung looked at Jeongyeon bending over the lantern, still writing. “What’s that?”

Jeongyeon smiled at them. She shifted and showed it to both Chaeyoung and Somi while she covers it from Mina.

“Ahh…”, Both of them nodded and chuckled.

“That’s unfair.”, Mina pouted and crossed her arms as she looked at Jeongyeon.

“You started it.”, Jeongyeon chuckled. “You can look at it later.” She smiled at Mina with a cheerful look.

“Are you guys getting one too?”, Mina asked.

Somi nodded. “Yeah, we’re getting the white one because we’re bros. Right?”, she said as she put her hand up.

“That’s right, bro.”, Chaeyoung nodded as she made a handshake with Somi.

They got the one with the golden painting of a temple with white birds that flew over it, and the pink translucent skies that covered the background.

They were both laughing when they wrote whatever it is they tried to write. Both of them drew something that only they can understand, with little notes at the bottom. It’s what they call one of their bro languages through art. Jeongyeon chuckled at them when she saw their drawings because they were in odd shapes, although it was interesting too. But Mina glared at her for being a jerk, so she just silenced herself.

The lanterns are to be kept in the booth until before the lighting ceremony. As a marker, they tied red ribbons with different symbols on them, so they won’t be confused with others’ lanterns.

Jeongyeon and Mina went to get some food near the entrance as they wait for Jihyo. While Chaeyoung and Somi head to one of the art shops that sell souvenirs made of wood.

“Chaeyoung-ah, you good?”, Somi asked as she looked at Chaeyoung who looked at each of the wooden figurines displayed in the cabinets.

“Yeah, I am. I know where you’re getting at, Somi. But trust me, I’m fine.”, she laughed when she saw Somi who looked concerned.

“It’s just that you’ve liked her for long, you know? And that’s probably a bummer.”

“Nah, I’m really fine, Somi-ya. I’m happy for both of them.” Chaeyoung pulled out a wooden sculpture from the cabinet. It’s a small sphere, and inside it is a shape of an actual heart. “This looks cool.”

“You like that?”, Somi looked at it closer and saw the fine edges of the sculpture. “Even for a small thing, the artist still got to carve out the features, huh.”

“Yeah. It’s amazing, though. Size doesn’t matter as long as the inside is what’s big, you know?” Chaeyoung smiled as she put a hand over her head as she pointed out her height. “And this right here is big.”, she pointed to her heart and they both laughed.

 

It’s already past five and it’s getting dark. And people have started to gather at the center by the waterfalls for the opening. There are more or less hundreds of people waiting, and a lot more still to come.

The waterfalls are lit up with lights that changed its colors from time to time. With its base have gone barely frozen, they placed small lanterns over it and let it float freely along with the hyacinths and lilies. And placed in different spaces were speakers that played traditional ambient music to go with the subtle yet lively experience of the festival.

One can look at different directions and still see a whole lot of different booths, with the walkways in the middle, lit up with various of lanterns that hung over it.

There were people, who had their coats and yukatas stuffed and huddled against their body, waiting under the icy trees covered with series of bright lights that perfectly illuminated the walkways filled with various booths on its sides. There were those groups of friends who sat on the snow while they talked about what they’d do later once the festival officially starts and how’d they end it in a memorable way. There were people who just ate out of hunger and impatience as the lines after lines of food booths and carts lure their appetites with their flavorful savor of various spices.

There were many children who played on the snowy field by the entrance of the garden, with their toys of lights hovering over as they let it fly in the air. While some played with the snow and threw them at each other. There were also some people with their friends and families playing over the frozen pond - Some tried to run at a stiff speed as they try their best not to fall on the hard ice. And there were others who just slid and glided freely with their roughened shoes scraping through the ice while laughing at the others who tried and failed to do it.

Jihyo finally arrived and she stopped by the entrance as she was welcomed by the huge glowing yellow sign, “Welcome to the Sapporo Art Park Snow Light Festival!”. She was stunned when she looked at how bright and amazing the decorating is. The warm colors of the lanterns matched perfectly with the cool aura of the snow and chilly weather. The lanterns and lights by the trees were perfect for illuminating the surroundings, brightening the night with liveliness.

This is beautiful.

She walked in and she was amazed by how many people have come for this event. After all, it’s only for one night in a year, and of course no one would miss such an astounding and incredible festival.

She can see the smoke coming from different food carts as a lot of people were waiting for their food as they were being cooked. She walked to one of the booths and saw Jeongyeon, whose cheeks were puffed, stuffing in Okonomiyaki (Japanese pancake mixed of seafood, egg, meat, and veggies).

“Oh, Jihyo!”, Jeongyeon muffled as she waved at her.

Jihyo laughed when some pieces fell from . “The festival hasn’t started yet and you’re eating everything.”

“I got hungry while we were waiting for you.”

Jihyo noticed Jeongyeon was alone and Mina wasn’t with her. “Isn’t Ms. Myoui with you?”

“She wanted to look around and I wanted to eat. So…”, she said as she stuffed another bite of the Okonomiyaki. “We don’t have to be together all the time, you know. That’s one of the secrets to a successful relationship. Don’t drag someone to something they won’t like. Unless it’s something necessary.”, she smiled happily as she chewed with her cheeks full of the pancake.

Jihyo laughed at how the two could be so adorable with each other despite how different they are from one another.

“You want some?”, Jeongyeon pointed at the newly cooked pancake.

“No, thank you. I’m not yet hungry.” She said politely and Jeongyeon just happily took a bite from it. “So, can you tell me where I should start?”

“Hmm…”, Jeongyeon looked around to see what’s interesting. But no one could just pick something since everything looked so vibrant and attracting. So, she just pointed to the lantern booth they went to earlier. “You can go there. They’re cool and I’m sure you’ll like it. But don’t take too long. The opening will start soon.”

Jihyo went to the booth and saw only a few unmarked lanterns were left.

“Good evening, Miss Park!”, the staff greeted as he recognized her. “These lanterns will be lit up before the end of the festival. So, which one would you like?”

Jihyo looked at the definition for each and blushed when she saw the red ones. But she didn’t mind since she was more inclined to the design. Her attention was attracted to the design of the red one with a black, gold and, white painting of silhouettes of two people standing hand in hand under the snow.

She picked it up and showed it to the staff. “I think this one is good.”

“Oh, do you have someone with you? These lanterns are for pairs.”, the staff asked as she looked Jihyo who seems to be alone. “But don’t worry, Ms. Park. I’ll make exceptions for you.”, he smiled as he handed out a golden marker to her. “You can write on the space there. When you’re finished just place it down and put a ribbon on it.”

She smiled at him and said, “You’re really kind. Thank you.”

She thought of what to write but nothing came to her mind. But she thought of drawing something. The first image that came to her mind was that moment when she saw Sana for the first time, when she saw her under the first snow.

Hatsuyuki.

She smiled as she thought of it, remembering how much of her feelings for Sana had changed so drastically in such a short time - from distant oddity to close fondness.

She drew a snowflake with slow and careful of the golden ink.

Then, under it, she wrote “初雪. 初恋.

“Hatsuyuki. Hatsukoi.”

“First snow. First love.”

She tied the ribbon above it and placed it down together with the other red lanterns.

Then the music on the speakers were quieted down when Chou Tzuyu went up on the stage by the waterfall. Everyone turned their heads to the stage as soon as she started speaking.

“Good evening, everyone. Thank you for coming. It’s quite a nice night for a festival, isn’t it? To our luck it’s not snowing.”, she smiled and chuckled.

Tzuyu continued to speak but Jihyo lost her attention when she saw someone else beside the stage.

It was a sight sent down by the heavens’ deities.

Sana glowed the brightest in Jihyo’s eyes.

Sana is wearing a black traditional kimono traced and outlined with golden ornaments in the shape of flowers and petals. Her hair was neatly tied up with red and golden pins, while some of her locks elegantly dangled down on the sides of her ethereal face. It’s like seeing a deity under the warm lights of the lanterns that hover over.

It was a moment where everything seemed to have stood still while Sana was the only one moving in Jihyo’s sight and mind.

Her heart screamed and tried to escape as it pounded,

And pounded,

And pounded…

And stopped…

Sana was looking at her.

Even if it was for a short while, it felt like eternity. Sana smiled at her when they looked at each other in the eyes. Jihyo grasped onto the moment and stretched it for as long as she can, looking into the depths of those soft yet glistening fiery eyes.

Jihyo smiled too. Even though it was faint, it showed the loudest of smiles.

Then Sana looked away as Chou Tzuyu called her to the stage, breaking away Jihyo’s smile.

Sana stood beside Tzuyu. And Jihyo couldn’t deny that the sight of them together is itching her to look away.

“As you all know, the preparation of this festival wouldn’t have been finished if Minatozaki-san didn’t come and help. Thanks to her, everything is perfect.”, Tzuyu smiled as she looked at Sana with the deepest gaze, while Sana smiled shyly and looked at the crowd in front of them. “It’s amazing how the preparation was planned and made just this week. In fact, the concept for this year was her idea. Please share your thoughts to us, Minatozaki-san.”

Before she spoke, Sana breathed in and looked at the people as they silenced.

“I thought the theme ‘Light Among Cold’ would be perfect because of its meaning. No matter how much things get numb or cold, there will always be something or someone who will bring you to light and warmth.” She paused as she smiled widely. “Because you can feel the sincerity from their touch that gives the warmest feelings of all, igniting something that you thought would never be. So, this festival is meant for families, friends, and lovers out there…”

She smiled softly as her eyes gleamed. “…and it was inspired by someone special to me.”

Jihyo thought her mind was deceiving her. But she felt her heart leap against her chest when Sana looked at her and smiled when she said those words as if it was meant for her.

Tzuyu moved closer and said, “I’m happy to have inspired you, Minatozaki-san.” She chuckled as she put her arm around Sana’s and the crowd whooped before them.

I guess my mind has the habit of making illusions against me.

“Now, let us all enjoy the rest of the night! Welcome to this year’s Sapporo Art Park Snow Light Festival!”

Jihyo was pulled from her thoughts when the Taiko drums were thumped and pounded continuously making the loud beats, while the crowd cheered louder. People started to scatter as they went to different booths, while some went to walk around the festival’s vicinity. The whole venue was covered with chatters and laughs, making the whole festival a lot livelier.

Jihyo thought that this night would be full of enjoyment as were so many places to go to. There were mini-games where one can win various prizes like small paintings, handmade toys, souvenirs, and a lot more than anyone can think of. There’s also the open gallery where the local artists of Sapporo display some of their notable works, gaining the chance of people to admire their pieces with hopes of gaining attention and candidacy for sponsorship. But there were also some who just wanted to show their piece as it is their passion and as a tribute to showing the beauty of art.

“Ms. Park!” Jihyo was suddenly pulled by Mina with Jeongyeon by her side.

“Oh, Ms. Myoui! Where are we going?” Jihyo dragged behind her and looked at Jeongyeon with a questioning look. But Jeongyeon just shrugged as she didn’t know either.

 

 

“Are you sure it’s okay, Nayeon-ssi?”, Dahyun whispered as they walked towards the festival entrance.

Nayeon smiled brightly as she looked at Dahyun and said, “I’m sure it’s fine since it’s a festival. We never even had a day off, so this is the perfect time for it.”

“Oy, wait!”, Momo yelled at them while she lagged behind as her shoes constantly skidded on the slippery floor that was almost covered in ice.

Nayeon looked at Momo who looked helpless. She just laughed at her when she almost tripped. “Hirai-san, better hurry up. You’re the one who knows this place.”

Even with this little inconvenience, Momo was hilariously having a hard time. Even she was laughing at herself.

“Hirai-san, the festival will be over once we get there.”, Dahyun laughed at the sight of her slipping.

Nayeon sighed and went over by her side and held her arm to support her. “You’re giving me a hard time, Hirai-san.” She chuckled as she lightly grunted with the weight of Momo leaning onto her. “You should be thankful I’m being kind right now.”

Momo looked at Nayeon and was a bit shocked by her right now. Nayeon had always been serious whenever they’re at the agency. Of course, since they had to work all day. But Momo felt a bit different about it.

She nodded and thanked her while they walked. “I thought you’d break for this. You’re too old now, grandma.”, she laughed so loud like she was squealing, almost popping Nayeon’s ears.

“If you keep on squealing, I’ll leave you right here.”, Nayeon batted as she attempted to let go but Momo gripped tighter while she concealed her squeal when she almost slipped again.

Dahyun was just laughing as she watched them walk like they were some old people.

It’s true that they never had any official rests ever since they arrived in Japan which was about three weeks ago. They worked all day and all week with almost no decent breaks since they’re really invested and dedicated on the case. So, they thought that it would be also nice for them to at least have some good time here at the festival.

However, Nayeon had different intentions. She went here to investigate something and to at least look after both Jihyo and Sana if anything ever goes wrong. She didn’t let Momo and Dahyun know so that both of them can freely roam through the festival since they’re still juniors. And they deserve it for they had been working really hard.

“You’re walking too slow now, Nayeon.”, Momo laughed and let go when they finally reached the entrance.

Dahyun stared at the huge glowing sign with awe. “I never thought I’d get to be in a Japanese festival. This is really amazing.” She giggled and pulled Momo with haste. “Let’s go! I heard your pancakes here are good! I can smell them from here.”

Nayeon smiled softly when the two put their arms around each other as they cheerfully went inside while Momo happily babbled all about which food they should eat first.

Nayeon walked behind them and sighed. “Make sure you two don’t do crazy things and be careful, alright?”

 

Jeongyeon was having a hard time catching the goldfish with the poi (small scoop made of very thin washi paper) because it was too small for her hands. They’re playing a mini game called Kingyo Sukui which means “goldfish scooping” where one must catch as many goldfish until the washi paper on the poi gets torn.

Mina, who carefully scooped the fishes into her basin so easily, just laughed at Jeongyeon whose poi was tearing away and almost ruined. “You’re so bad at this, Jeongyeon.”

Jeongyeon scoffed. “This is my first time. And I bet you had a lot of practice before.” She grunted when she saw her basin only had three fishes in it.

On the other hand, Jihyo was really focused in getting all the goldfishes that she can. Her brows furrowed and eyes narrowed. She was so immersed with the game and she scooped so fast and really aggressively.

“Oy, Jihyo. Remember this is just a game. The fishes might die when you scoop them like that.” Jeongyeon looked at the fishes on Jihyo’s basin, hardly swimming anymore.

“Shh, I’m trying to get the biggest one.” Jihyo eyed the biggest goldfish in the pool. The staff just chuckled at how Jihyo had the largest number of fishes, yet still aiming for the biggest of them all.

Jihyo found the perfect timing and then scooped right away. But her hand slipped, and her washi suddenly got torn away as the fish went through it.

Jihyo grunted in frustration and gave a scornful look at the fish while Jeongyeon just laughed how annoyed Jihyo looks right now.

Mina giggled and patted her shoulder. “It’s okay, Ms. Park. You have plenty of them now.”

The fish swam on the other side of the pool and was easily caught by someone. Jihyo was so surprised. She made a skeptical and more annoyed look when she saw it was caught by Chou Tzuyu.

Jihyo thought why is that it’s always Tzuyu.

“You’re too slow, Ms. Park.”, Tzuyu smiled at her as she gave a look like she had prevailed over her.

Jihyo also smiled while she concealed the cynical feeling overflowing in her veins behind it. She felt annoyed when Tzuyu sounded like she meant to say that with a whole lot of different meanings behind it.

She managed to hold her smile up. “I guess I just slipped. If only I had a tighter grip, then that fish would’ve been in my basin instead.”, Jihyo said in a bold tone as she eyed Tzuyu with a lofty look.

Jeongyeon and Mina went silent while they continued to catch fishes and pretended to not notice the air thickening around them. They looked at Jihyo and Tzuyu who gave the densest stares to each other. Mina was well-aware that Jihyo should have been the one who got the award but then it was given to Chou Tzuyu instead, so she understood the tension between them. But it seemed like there was more to it.

“Then you should’ve at least taken the chance before it went to me.”, Tzuyu smiled with a conceited scowl which made Jihyo grit her teeth.

“Chou-sama.” One of the staff called from behind as she walked towards them. “The board is here to see you. They’re at the center now.” Then the staff whispered something inaudible as the people all over were loud.

Tzuyu nodded and said, “Thank you for telling me. Well, I must be going now.” She gently put the goldfish back into the pool and she let out a heavy sigh.

“It seems like it’s yours to keep now, Ms. Park.” She smiled smugly.

Before she turned away, she faced Jihyo and said, “Try not making any mistakes.” Then she smiled and left.

 

“Make sure you find your way back, Nayeon-ssi.”, Dahyun said as she munched on the corn while she waited for Momo who went to the restroom. “Hirai-san is taking too long.”

“Yeah. Don’t worry. When she gets back, have fun while you guys are at it.”, she smiled at her and headed to the restroom.

But it wasn’t the restroom where Nayeon was going.

She moved through the crowd and made sure to be cautious of her surroundings as she tried to be as neutral as possible. She looked over the crowd, not losing sight of Chou Tzuyu while she followed her to the park center.

Nayeon knows Chou Tzuyu is a close acquaintance of the head because her father used to work together with him. But she doesn’t know if Tzuyu is one of his allies behind his schemes, but she had speculations.

But then they weren’t heading to the park center. She and her staff suddenly made a turn to the art gallery.

Nayeon made sure she wasn’t obvious that she was following them. The staff suspiciously turns her head in directions like she was making sure that they weren’t being followed. But Nayeon was now having a hard time hiding as the crowd started to lessen in the area.

So, she casually moved to the other end of the building, not losing sight of them as she walked parallel to their direction. She couldn’t be seen at this view for there were trees in between them.

Then Tzuyu and the staff entered in one of the studios in the gallery, where there were no lights on. But because of the lights going through the other side of the building, one can barely see about half a dozen of people’s silhouettes inside.

It was a bit quiet as the sounds from the festival were a bit muffled from this distance, but it was still fairly loud as the music with the taiko drums blared through the walls.

She was about to head to the entrance when the staff suddenly went out. It seems like the staff was guarding the entrance and made sure there were no other people around.

She waited for about a minute when the staff suddenly walked away from the entrance and it seemed like she headed to the restroom.

Nayeon found this as an opportunity to sneak in. Behind the trees, she carefully moved from her position and quietly went to the entrance, her heart skipping a bit.

She was halfway to the entrance when suddenly someone called her from behind.

“Nayeon!”

She almost screamed when she turned to see Momo walked towards her. Nayeon quietly sped up to her and covered . “Shut up and be quiet.”, she hissed.

Momo was a bit surprised and confused at the same time. She managed to stay calm so Nayeon slowly removed her hand.

“I just got out of the restroom. What are you doing?”, Momo whispered.

“Shh, be quiet.”, Nayeon sighed as she gripped on Momo’s arm while they both stood behind the trees and looked at the entrance on the opposite side. “Now that you’re here, we’ll work on this together.”

Momo just made a confused look and narrowed her eyes at Nayeon. “What exactly is this anyway?”

Good thing their faces weren’t much visible since there were no lights on where they stood.

“Oy! What are you doing there?”, the staff shouted when she saw them as she walked out of the restroom.

Goddamn it.

Nayeon turned Momo’s face to her and quickly put her arms around her neck and aggressively pulled her to a deep, deep kiss, shocking Momo with her sudden act.

“Oh… uh, sorry.”, the staff bowed, embarrassed, then walked away and headed to the entrance and walked in.

Nayeon, with her arms still on Momo’s neck, realized what she was doing. She was about to pull away but Momo slowly closed her eyes then suddenly slid her arms on her back and pulled her closer, barely having room to breathe. Nayeon wanted to break away but Momo held her firmly as she deepened the kiss and pressed their bodies tighter. With the feeling of blacking out, Nayeon couldn’t help but feel allured towards the softness of Momo’s lips. So, she just let it be and let this moment lead to wherever. Her mind wandered to the farthest, savoring this flavorful taste, just as how Momo traced every part of her lips.

Nayeon softly groaned in disappointment when Momo slowly drew away, not pulling her gaze away from Nayeon’s lips. They both caught their breath as they pulled away, with steams coming out of their mouths. Their cheeks flushed at the intensity of that moment. They didn’t feel the winter coldness covering their skins as the heat form their bodies radiated on one another.

“Uh, sorry.”, Momo, undeniably embarrassed, looked down and removed her hands from Nayeon, who was still sinking in what happened between them.

“It was necessary.”, Nayeon stuttered as she couldn’t believe herself of what she just did.

Then they heard the doors fly open at the studio’s entrance. They both ducked down behind the trees. Then they saw Tzuyu whose brows furrowed as she walked out with some of the staff. Then the head, together with two other people, followed behind them. Then they stopped in front as they talked to each other, really seriously.

“Oh, isn’t that the head?”, Momo whispered.

I knew it.

Nayeon and Momo couldn’t hear whatever they were saying as they talked in a low voice. But judging from her face, Tzuyu looked very disgruntled with the head, who kept on talking as he constantly moves his hands, gesturing something like he was pleading.

Then after a while, the head seemed to have gone displeased and so he walked away. Along with his people, he went to their car and sped away.

Meanwhile, Tzuyu was telling something to her staff like she was directing them to do something. Then one of the staff gave a sheet of paper to Tzuyu and she immediately put it inside her coat pocket. The staff nodded and left hurriedly, leaving Tzuyu alone.

Click.

“What the hell?!”, Nayeon quietly hissed and glared at Momo.

The shutter made a loud sound when Momo took a photo with her phone. And it was useless since it’s a bit late to take a photo anyway.

Then Tzuyu looked to their direction. Still covered with the trees, Nayeon quickly stood up and pulled Momo by the collar and tried to run away. But it was too late.

“I know you’re there, detective.”