The Night Finally Ends

The Artist of Sapporo (TWICE SaHyo AU)

“Where did you get this?” Jihyo stared at the same photograph Dahyun showed her during their interrogation. She looked at Sana who sat beside her and gave her a questioning look.

After they got out of the company building, Jihyo got a call from Momo telling her to come to the hospital right away. But she didn’t tell her why. And now they’re both outside Nayeon’s hospital room, waiting for her and Dahyun to come out.

“It was given to me by one of the detectives, the one who called you earlier.”

“Hirai-san?”

Sana nodded and glanced at the photograph. “They went to the company to investigate about him committing theft.”

She paused and looked at Jihyo who fell silent as she stared at the photograph, looking a bit lost.

“But apparently there’s more to it. I was also told that he-“

“I know.” Jihyo looked back at her and smiled softly. “They told me about it too.”

She wanted to say something but there are lots in her mind that she could drown in it. She just doesn’t know where to start.

Her eyes trailed down to the floor, not wanting look at Sana for she was very ashamed and angered of what her father had done. She thought losing a father must have been tough for her.

Jihyo knows how it’s like to lose someone. She already lost her mother and she considers herself quite lucky for not being able to recall what exactly happened for it will only bring more pain and grief upon her.

How much more for Sana who had lost her father because of murder when she was fully aware of what happened.

She can’t bear the thought of losing someone because someone’s intent was to take a life.

And what made her feel worse was that someone of her own blood did it.

She shook her head and sighed. All that she could say was “I’m sorry.”

She clenched her fist and gritted her teeth. She then turned to Sana and held her hand.

“I’m sorry, Sana.” Her lips quivered. Her hand started trembling as her voice cracked. “It must have been really difficult for you to lose someone just like that.”

“Jihyo, don’t apologize for something you didn’t do. It’s all in the past now.” Sana rubbed her back and sighed. “My father was a cruel man. It happened to him because of his own wrongdoings.”

Jihyo looked up and her brows creased. “What do you mean?”

“Jihyo-ssi, you can come in now.” Dahyun called from the door and she was surprised when she saw Sana. “You can come in as well.”

When they walked in, they were both surprised and Jihyo almost fell on her knees when she saw Nayeon sitting up on the bed, looking a lot better than she was last night.

“I see a lot happened while I was out for just a day.”, she sighed and smiled at them. “You two should sit down while we tell you about all this.”

 

 

“You should sit still. Stop moving. Damn.” Chaeyoung held Jeongyeon by the shoulder while Mina held her hand tight.

Although it wasn’t allowed for anyone to come in during ops, Jeongyeon begged the nurse to let them in because she needed something to hold on while bearing this so-not agonizing pain.

Right now, they’re putting bandages on her leg that was almost crushed by the huge block of hot wood. Fortunately, it wasn’t that severe, and her bones were still intact. But there were mild gashes and bruises.

“Wait, wait, wait.”

Jeongyeon squeezed her eyes shut as she gripped on Mina’s hand. She held her breath and waited for the worst to come.

“Okay. Go on.”

“It’s just you who’s overreacting. Just sit still.” Mina looked at her in disbelief. Jeongyeon had just taken so many blows and Mina just can’t believe she can’t bear a bandage that’s just being wrapped around her leg gently.

But even so, she was so worried about her when Momo told her that she was in a bad state. But to her relief, it wasn’t as bad as she thought. She had seen worse of what Jeongyeon had been through and this one is nothing compared to it.

She’s just thankful nothing that bad happened.

“This hurts so much.” Jeongyeon pouted at Mina and puckered her lips. “I need to replenish.”

Mina blushed when she saw the nurse glanced at them and quickly looked away and continued to work on the bandage.

She hit Jeongyeon on the shoulder and scowled at her. “Stay still or your leg is next.”

“All done. Both of you can stay but let her rest for the night.” The nurse bowed and left.

Chaeyoung and Mina sighed in relief when they finally let go of Jeongyeon.

Chaeyoung plopped herself on the couch and said, “You’re lucky you can still walk.”

“You’re lucky you didn’t get that many injuries. You got knocked out so easily.” Jeongyeon snapped back and huffed. “Look at you. You look clean. You’re like a baby with your wiped-”

“Both of you are lucky to be alive because Ms. Park was there.” Mina raised her voice as she crossed her arms and gave sharp glares to both of them.

“And you, Yoo Jeongyeon.” She turned to Jeongyeon who looked back at her, shaking and silenced by how fierce she was.

“Look what happened to you and Chaeyoung. You shouldn’t have gone with those thug friends of yours. You didn’t even tell me you went to them during the festival. I thought you promised you won’t be keeping anything from me anymore.”

Chaeyoung just felt awkward as she just sat there and watched Jeongyeon sit silently while Mina kept on darting glares at both of them.

Mina was obviously mad about what happened. Because who wouldn’t be?

The bar was dead wrecked. Every wall and corner is burnt like hell. All their bottles were gone away in just a flash. But fortunately, it can still be repaired.

Even though they had been through a lot of things like these, Mina just couldn’t bear any of it.

When she knew Chaeyoung and Jeongyeon used to be mercenaries who did horrendous things, her anger was beyond imagining that Chaeyoung would actually choose to forget about it. And she knows very well Jeongyeon had it worst then.

But just like everything else, things recover, and they pulled the pieces back together even if it took quite a long time.

But right now, Mina was obviously infuriated, and she looked terrifying.

Jeongyeon just sighed and said, “I know it was so reckless but they’re the ones who started it. Of course we had to do something.”

“Yeah…” Chaeyoung nodded, trying not to feel awkward. “They came after us and the next minute, we started beating the hell out of each other. It they had to burn everything. But at least there’s insurance to fix everything so…”

Both of them looked away and just stayed silent while they waited for another scolding.

But Mina just let out a heavy sigh and gave up. She knew it would be quite useless to talk to them. She had given them a lot of scolding before, but things like this just kept on happening.

But she doesn’t get tired of it either.

Even though they could be so thickheaded at times, she’s happy they still listen and try their best not to do reckless things.

But she doesn’t want them to be in these kinds of mess anymore.

She sat on the bed beside Jeongyeon and gave her stern stares.

Jeongyeon let out a nervous chuckle. “You’re scaring me a bit, Mina-chan…”

“Then I’m doing it right.” Mina smiled softly and took her hand. She looked at her with her imploring eyes, completely shifting from that scary face to her usual soft self.

Jeongyeon knows this look. And she won’t be able to say no to her at this point.

“Can this be the last time I’ll see you both like this?”

Mina looked at her deeply in the eyes, compelling her senses to move towards her plea.

And this was how Kyung-wan became the Jeongyeon she is right now. This was the same look that pulled her out from her past self.

With the small steps they took, Jeongyeon slowly became so attached to Mina, changing her as if she had forgotten what she used to be and what she had gone through.

And she was and will always be grateful for it.

She sighed and held Mina’s hands. She slowly nodded and smiled. “It’s for the better, right?”

Mina softly smiled at her and whispered, “For the better…”

“Alright, I know where this is going.” Chaeyoung stood up and cleared . “Mina-san, you should let her rest. She won’t handle it.” She smirked at them then she headed to the doors, leaving them both flustered and blushing.

 

 

Just this afternoon, the former head of Creative Productions was found dead on the outskirts of Sapporo. With the heavy snowfall, his body was recovered under the thick snow where a gun was seen on his hand.

And police therefore assume it was a case of suicide.

With the series of events in the previous days and weeks, police say his death is related with the incident last night where Detective Im Nayeon was shot during the Snow Light Festival at Sapporo Art Park.

It has also been revealed that the former head had been stealing money from Creative Productions where a transaction was given to him by the man who was presumed to have committed suicide at the bridge last week.

The agency issued his apprehension and was to be arrested this morning, but he was unfortunately found dead later in the afternoon.

However, relations with the incident with Detective Im Nayeon is still unknown and police say they are still looking into it and will be a lot more careful in the investigation…

Dahyun turned the volume down and sat beside Momo on the couch. Both of them fiddled with their hands as they glance at Jihyo who went silent after hearing the news.

Jihyo sat straight and clenched her teeth. Somehow, she felt a bit bothered with what happened despite always feeling so much hatred against him.

“Well, he deserves it, doesn’t he?” She scoffed. “He had always been a horrible person. I doubt he’s even human at all…”

Sana held her hand and felt it tremble. She wasn’t sure what Jihyo is exactly thinking right now but she can see that she is angry and quite at loss.

“But we’re doubting that either.”, Nayeon said.

“What do you mean?”

“About that…” Momo breathed in and hesitated. Then she looked at Nayeon and nodded at her.

“This was in his coat when we found him.” She handed her the envelope they found at the scene. “And it’s for you. I’m sorry but we had to look into it. See for yourself and we’ll start from there.”

Jihyo stared at it and noticed it was over a decade old. There were visible creases and stains on its sides, and she shuddered when she saw a small blood stain.

Then she flipped it over and at the moment she landed her eyes on that cursive, she already knew it was her mother’s handwriting.

“for My Dear Ji-soo…”

Nayeon saw how she looked so puzzled as she stared at it.

They too were very confused and surprised when they read what was inside. After going through it as much as they could, going back to the start through the end, it was as if all the conclusions they came up with were as useless as junk, leading them back to their first phase.

And they can only think of one way they can go through this once and for all.

“I don’t want to pry on you, Jihyo.” She sighed at the thought of having no other choice but this. “But I think it’s time we should do something to make you remember what happened.”

Of all things Jihyo wanted to hear, this was the very last of them. She had always dread of remembering what happened to her mother and she doesn’t want to recall any of it.

“I already told you, Nayeon-ssi. I don’t-“

“This isn’t only about justice for Minatozaki. This is also for your mother’s sake, Jihyo. Let’s find out about all of this and she can finally be in peace. Don’t you want that?”

Jihyo stood up and her ears flared.

“What do you think I want then? Do you think I want her to just wander off restless?”

She doesn’t want to be selfish but was so tired of hearing all this.

She had been pressed over and over again. She was flooded with questions after questions like it was never going to end. Not only for the past months but when she was younger as well. And she thought of it to be pressing for she was only seven back then.

“Do you know how it feels like waking up and the first thing you hear is your mother’s gone and dead?”

Sana held her arm and stood up. “Jihyo, please don’t be like this.”

Jihyo looked back and Sana felt a bit frightened of how she looked angry with her brows tightly furrowed, shaping her eyes into an outraged glare.

Nayeon knew where this is going, and she can’t let it go further. She let out a heavy sigh and said, “Can everyone please give us for a moment here?”

“Minatozaki-sama.” Dahyun called and walked towards her. She smiled at her and said, “Let’s step outside for a while.”

Momo followed and said, “I’ll head out and get something to drink then.”

Sana wanted to stay with Jihyo, but it seems like this needs to be between her and Nayeon for now.

Jihyo looked at her and let out a tired smile. “It’s okay. I’ll see you later.”

Sana followed Dahyun outside and when the door was closed, they can hear their inaudible arguments continued to get bolder.

Dahyun sighed and leaned on the wall. She chuckled and said, “It’s always like this. We go on round and round with it. But I just hope she agrees with Senior Im this time.”

Sana sat across her and asked, “What exactly happened before? About her mother?”

“Well, we don’t know what exactly happened. But after the collision, police came a little late and all they found were two cars that collided with Ms. Park and her mother inside one of them.”

“And my father’s murderer in the other? Which happens to be the head?”

Dahyun flinched when Sana said that without faltering, mentioning her father’s death like a breeze.

Then she remembered when Nayeon told them she wasn’t really attached to him like his own daughter, so she understood why.

“We assumed it was him in the other car…”

“But...?”

“But when we finally got his prints earlier, it didn’t match the ones found inside it…”

They ran several tests and repeated each of them just to confirm if it was their methods’ faultiness or if it was the fact that it wasn’t really the head who murdered Minatozaki.

If it wasn’t him, then who did?

“Instead, his prints matched the ones inside the car Ms. Park was in…”

 

 

Chaeyoung walked through the hallways and noticed there weren’t many people around anymore at this time; just a few nurses going back and forth from room to room and some doctors doing their rounds.

She looked over to the rooms and she felt light shivers on her skin. She felt uncomfortable seeing all the hospital beds and the sick people on them. Then she heard someone vomiting at a distance then she suddenly felt nauseated.

She walked faster and headed to the balcony to finally get some air after being constricted. When she opened the door, she felt really cold. Then she looked up and saw it was snowing a little bit. But at least, she felt comfortable.

She walked over to the corner and leaned on to the icy railing. She closed her eyes and breathed in the sharp air.

As she breathed in, she inhaled the scent of coffee. She looked over to the other edge and saw someone drinking. It was the detective that brought Mina here at the hospital.

“Oy.” She called but Momo didn’t look and notice. She looked like she was in depth with her thoughts.

Chaeyoung moved closer and called her again. “Oy, you alright?”

“Oh hey.” Momo was a bit surprised. She thought she was alone because no one would come out on the balcony at this time, especially in this weather.

“How’s your sister?”

“She’s fine. Still a bit of a headache.” She chuckled. “She’s not my sister, by the way.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean sure we are, but we grew up in an orphanage. And the story goes on and on and on.” She sighed as she remembered the whole lot of things they’ve been through together. And despite some of them are bad, it was still those times where they grew closer like they were actual siblings.

“Anyway, how’s your girlfriend?”

Momo looked at her and thought she was joking but she actually looked serious.

“She’s not my girlfriend.” She scoffed. “We’re just coworkers.”

Chaeyoung nodded and tried to understand what she meant. When she saw her earlier, it looked like she was her girlfriend or something.

Coworkers. Right.

But what does she know anyway? So she just let it go.

“But she’s doing a lot better. I think she can head back to her regular schedule by tomorrow or the day after that.”

“You guys are really giving everything, aren’t you?”

“It’s our job. And it’s the right thing to do.” She smiled softly. “And hopefully nothing bad happens again. And after everything, we can all rest.”

“Yeah. Good luck on that. If you need extra pair of hands, I could fill in the spot.”

Momo gave her a questioning look and started to wonder if this person was actually in the right mind or was she just messing with her.

But when she looked at her, there was something written all over her eyes. Even though Chaeyoung was a bit young, Momo knew she already went through many things. Even though she can’t point out what they were, she knows they were something grating that it molded her to the person she is now.

“I don’t think we need another bar burning.” She chuckled. “But we’d appreciate it.”

“Oy, it wasn’t our fault.” Chaeyoung scoffed and crossed her arms. “They’re the ones who started it and we just had to defend ourselves.”

“Tch. Right.”

Then Momo suddenly realized that if they somehow got involved in this, then they should know something about it.

She drank the coffee to its last drop and breathed out a steamy air. Then she looked at Chaeyoung with her eyes plastered with seriousness, determined to finish everything.

“Who were they and how come they know you two?”

 

 

“So you’re telling me it wasn’t him who did it?”

“No. We were wrong.”

Jihyo was struck. She didn’t know what to say but somehow she felt relieved to hear it.

What was surprising was the fact that he was inside the same car she and her mother was in when the crash happened. And she wondered how and why. Because at that time, he and her mother were divorced for a year already.

Her mother told her the reason why they went to Sapporo was because she wanted to show the different aspects of art to show her inspiration.

Yet why would she be with that man at that time? Was there another reason why they went here?

“Then why was he with us?”

“I think you’ll find the answer in that.” Nayeon pointed at the envelope. “It didn’t tell us who did it, but it clarifies it wasn’t him.”

Jihyo stared at the envelope once again and thought ahead. She composed herself and breathed in.

Her hands slightly shook as she slowly opened it.

Then when she started reading, she went from word to word at a slow pace. Then her brows knitted, and her eyes trembled as it started to form tears on its corners. When she reached the middle, she read each line in a faster pace and her brows creased more. Then she stopped at the very last line.

She might not understand it for now, but she will when she remembers it. But then she wondered what is it really that she must understand and uncover behind all this?

All her life, no truth came before her. Just a loophole of assumptions and questions dropped over and over her.

But now, she can finally know what exactly happened and how they got here. And she has to face it and put it all behind her.

“So how are we going to do this? Therapy? Then that’s going to take a long time.”

“No.” Nayeon chuckled. “We’re in a country that has one of the greatest technologies, and you expect to have therapy?”

Jihyo scoffed and said, “How should I know? It’s how they used to do it.”

“Well, not anymore. On special cases, at least. Just like yours where information is crucial. It’s an undisclosed tech where Hokkaido keeps it here in its agency and it’s used for these kinds of things.”

“How long will it take?”

“A few hours maybe. Just tons of headache after though.”

“Are there any other ways?”

“If you get knocked really hard in the head, sure, there might be chances.” Nayeon laughed while Jihyo just gave her a scowl.

“One more question.”

“What?”

“Is there anyone else you suspect?”

“For now, there isn’t.”, she said.

But in truth, there is one.

However, all they have are loose suspicions so she can’t just give names all of a sudden. But with what Momo and Dahyun told her about their doubts with Chou Tzuyu, there could be big relations to it.

It’s true she went to Tzuyu before just to have as much information she can gather. But she was surprised she gave them more than what they were expecting. Which was odd.

And she thinks she might have made a mistake trusting her.

And now that their former main suspect is dead, they think the Chous might have been manipulating the situation and they tried to frame the head instead.

But they need solid evidence for this. And it’s Jihyo.

“Then let’s do it first thing tomorrow.” Jihyo chuckled and smiled at her. “I hope you get there early.”

Nayeon paused from her thoughts when she saw how Jihyo looked so serious and determined to do it.

“If I don’t do this, more and more people will get involved and hurt. And I can’t let that happen anymore.”

I can’t let anything happen to her anymore.

Nayeon sighed in relief and smiled. “Thank you, Jihyo.”

 

 

“Dahyun.”, Momo called with her blunt voice that echoed to and from the end of the hallway.

Sana and Dahyun turned their heads and were a bit surprised with how she sounded as if she was distressed.

But she does look really bothered.

She walked so fast with her face so strained, looking like she had been drenched with certainties and uncertainties; and she looked like she was wanting to do something reckless – very reckless.

And behind her was Chaeyoung who tried to keep up with her pace and tried to stop her, repeatedly pulling and tugging her arm.

“Stop.” Chaeyoung pulled her by the shoulder and gripped it. “This might or will turn out bad. Don’t think ahead of things and just sort this through.”

“Let go of me.” Momo pushed her hand away and looked at her with cold stare. “What do you think we should do then? I don’t see any other ends to this.”

“You don’t know these people.”

“And you do, right?”

“This is insane, and I don’t know who’s behind them.”

“And that’s what we’re gonna find out, okay?” Momo gritted her teeth and pierced through her stares. “I’m not asking you to come but I’m asking you to just tell me where.

After she told Momo the people who went after them were the same people after Park Jihyo, she suddenly became so desperate in knowing more. And eventually, desperate of knowing where she’d find them, thinking she might actually put an end to all of this.

But Chaeyoung couldn’t disagree more.

If she told her, then it would be just the same as leading her to where she should dig her grave and bury herself.

These people they’re dealing with aren’t supposed to be messed with at any cost. Even though they had, it was a mistake for they might have made their little rubble earlier into a bigger problem. And added to that was the cause of it.

And she considers herself and Jeongyeon lucky they both got out of this barely unharmed. If they really wanted both of them dead, then they wouldn’t have left a single trace.

Just like what these people did to Minatozaki.

But just as what they said before, once they settled in, there will be no finding a way out. Unless that way out would be torment. And they had faced it countless of agonizing times.

“Aish, you’ll just make a bigger mess.”, Chaeyoung cursed and scratched her head. “This is ing stupid.”

“What is?” Sana asked as she and Dahyun crept up behind them. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing’s wrong.” Momo smiled softly and side-eyed Chaeyoung. “Just figuring out what’s right and what needs to be done.”

Dahyun raised her brow and asked, “Which is?”

“Sana.” Jihyo called as she stepped out of the room and smiled with tiredness showing in its corners. “We can go now.”

 

 

It was already past midnight and Mina already fell asleep on the couch. Meanwhile, Jeongyeon had never been more awake after hearing what Chaeyoung just told her.

“What were you thinking? Why did you tell them? And you’re thinking about helping?” She tried not to shout but she was a bit annoyed at this point. “We should stay out of it and let them do the rest.”

“We would’ve stayed out of it if you didn’t go and talk to those people. But we can’t do anything now, can we?” Chaeyoung clenched her teeth and sighed. “We need to at least do something. A little gratitude won’t hurt.”

“A little gratitude?” Jeongyeon just couldn’t follow what she’s hearing now. And that’s because she didn’t want to. “A little gratitude that would ruin our lives. Again.”

“So you just want to let go of the people who tried to get her?” Chaeyoung pointed at Mina. “Just like that?”

“This is for Mina. If you’re really thinking, then you’d know it’s best to just stay put. And I can’t just let you go there. You gave your word to Mina and I’m not gonna let you take it away.”

Chaeyoung wanted to fight against it but it’s true the best thing they could do now is to just stay out of it so no one would come after them again. And they can’t let Mina be at risk again.

“You’re right.” She sighed and slumped back. She nodded and gave up. “Yeah, you’re right. Let’s just sit here and do nothing.”

“It’s for the best, Chaeyoung-ah.”

“For the best, huh.” She stood up and before she turned away, she looked at Jeongyeon with a scowl and said, “I thought doing smallest of good things would at least lessen the burden of what we did in the past.”

Jeongyeon looked away and waited for the stomping footsteps head out of the room. Then she sighed and looked at Mina who was still sleeping peacefully.

“For the better… right?”

 

 

After getting out from the shower, Sana was expecting to see Jihyo heavily sleeping on her bed after she’d been through a very long and hellish day. Instead, when she stepped out of the room, she saw her sitting on the couch with her tired eyes closed and her heavy back slumped against the stiff and uncomfortable pillows.

She walked closer to see if she was sleeping. It seemed like she is, but she obviously looked bothered.

“How about sitting beside me instead of sneaking up behind me?” Jihyo said with a hoarse voice, sounding really exhausted. Then she slowly opened her eyes and smiled.

“You should sleep in a proper place.” Sana sat beside her and motioned her to lie on her lap. After fighting all the exhaustion that happened in just a day, Jihyo let herself fall freely.

“So this is my proper place now.”

“It will always be.” Sana looked at her and giggled. “You should sleep now. You’ll be needing a lot of strength for tomorrow.”

“Mhm.” Jihyo closed her eyes and felt as if all the troubles have gone away with the soothing hand gently her hair, softly pulling her mind away and slowly drifting her to sleep.

The she slowly smiled when she realized how familiar this was.

“Doesn’t this remind you of something?”, she chuckled.

“I think it does.” Sana giggled as she fiddled with Jihyo’s hair. Then she poked her cheek and said, “And I think it has something to do with someone dead drunk. You have a bad habit, Ms. Park.”

“It isn’t a habit. It was an impulsive decision. I don’t drink.” Jihyo turned and face her. “Mind telling me how it led me waking up on your lap?”

Sana slightly frowned when she remembered how Jihyo cried that night, looking so feeble. “You were having a bad dream. And you looked sad. So…”

Jihyo knew what that dream was since it has always been the one that kept on running in her head. Even when she dreams of something else, there will always be fragments of that memory showing itself.

“It wasn’t a bad dream.” Jihyo softly smiled. “It was a dream that reminds me of my mother. It’s another way of remembering her.”

“What was it about?”

“It was about how I became who I am now.”

“How you became so conceited?”

Jihyo frowned and gave her a sulky look while Sana giggled. “Other than that, it was about how my mother always encouraged me.”

“You’re always so serious.” Sana took her hand and pressed it against her lips. Then she placed a soft kiss and smiled. “I know she would’ve been very proud of how far you’ve come, Jihyo.”

“I know. She would be the happiest. I wish she met you and I know you two would get along with each other. Easily.” She slowly closed her eyes and chuckled. “Just like you, she always asks the meaning behind every single painting. In that dream, I was painting a window view from our old house. Then she asked me what it meant. And I could only think of one word.”

Suddenly, she paused from her thoughts as she felt her heart pound when she thought of it. She felt as if there was a heed calling for it.

She opened her eyes and she felt the pounding against her chest got louder and stronger as she slowly looked straight into Sana’s eyes, luring her to its depths and drawing her to say it.

She smiled as her hand slowly reached for her cheek and brushed her thumb across.

Then she whispered, “Home.”

She noticed the small frown curving on Sana’s lips and the tears welling on the corners of her eyes. As the tear dropped, she felt a tug against her chest as if she felt the weight of that tear like it bore so much.

She quickly sat up and reached for Sana’s face. Then her brows creased as her heart wrenched at the sight of how she looked so sad.

“What’s wrong?” Jihyo wiped the tears continuously running down against her cheeks while she cried silently.

Sana held her hands and grasped it tight. She closed her eyes and kissed them. Then she softly shook her head as she looked back at Jihyo and softly smiled. “Nothing’s wrong.”

“Then why are you crying?”

“Because I’m happy.” Sana looked at her with her glinting wet eyes. Then she pulled Jihyo closer and embraced her. She buried her nose against her neck and kissed it. When Jihyo hugged her back, she closed her eyes and smiled.

“I’m happy you’re here, Jihyo.” She embraced her tighter as her sobs then got louder. “Don’t go anywhere, okay? Don’t go away.”

“I’m not going anywhere. What are you talking about?” She pulled away and looked at Sana. Then she sighed and smiled at her. “Are you worried about tomorrow?”

Sana pouted and softly shook her head. Then after a moment, tears again welled in her eyes and she started nodding her head.

“Why are you worried? It won’t hurt. Or at least that’s what Nayeon told me.”

“It’s not that.”, she whispered. “What if it’s not you who I’ll face after?”

“What do you mean? It’s not going to be that much.” Jihyo chuckled and smiled, hoping to at least make Sana feel a little better. “It’s just a small part of my life that happened to slip away from my head.”

“No, Jihyo. Even the smallest of pieces make the picture a whole lot bigger. Especially when those pieces hold the most details.”

Somehow, even with its vagueness, Jihyo knows what Sana was saying but she can’t follow what she was trying to make her understand.

She noticed Sana was holding back. She noticed she wanted to say more. But she can’t tell what or why she doesn’t want to say it. And she can’t just force her to blurt it out.

“Listen, Sana.” She clasped their hands together and held it softly. “It’s all in the past, isn’t it? Whatever it is I’ll know tomorrow, then I have to put it all behind me.”

“How do you know what you’re saying right now won’t be different? How do you know you won’t be different?”

Jihyo looked at her with her eyes smiling and nearing to tears. With her voice giving away, she softly said, “Who you are looking at right now will never change because she has already met you and has become a better person because of you. Because what matters to her is tomorrow and the days after that. And every single second of those days, she wants to spend with you and for you…”

Jihyo held her hand tighter, signifying she’ll always hold on and stay.

Sana’s eyes drooped down and smiled as she stared at their hands wrapped in each other. She thought of it as pieces that fit together so perfectly. Yet even with both of their strongest wants, she was afraid one might have to slip away.

Then Jihyo slowly pulled Sana’s hand and lifted her chin up, motioning her eyes to look at hers. Then from the deepest depths of her feelings, she let out a soft smile and said the truest and sincerest words she had always wanted to say.

“…because this is me who loves you, Sana.”

Upon saying it, Jihyo saw how Sana’s eyes glinted, seeming like she had been waiting for it. She too had been waiting. Upon saying it, her feelings has never been drawn so much closer, tearing away the remaining barriers her old self had built.

And for the final touch of the long awaited, Jihyo inched forward, closing in the gap between them and softly placed her lips against Sana’s.

With her eyes closed, Sana felt the tenderness and sensitivity with how Jihyo was softly kissing her. It was slow yet it was rapid with care and warmth as she made her feel her profound affection.

Jihyo slowly parted away and looked at the pair of eyes radiating and sharing the same feelings, gazing into hers like it were endless.

Sana brushed her nose against hers and whispered, “I love you.”

And then suddenly, she felt scared. With what had been happening, the thought of losing Jihyo came across her mind. She doesn’t know why but somehow, she felt like something will come against them.

Jihyo felt her hand shiver. And with the gentle brush of her hands, Sana loosened her grip and let the tension slip away.

“Everything will be okay.”

Sana looked at her with hopeful eyes, wanting to tell her something. But she hesitated and softly shook her head. Instead she just smiled and said, “Go sleep now. It’s already past one.”

“Just like that?”

“Just like that.”

Jihyo giggled and laid down then she gently pulled Sana on top of her. She can still see the dried traces of tears on Sana’s cheeks and with soft , she wiped them off carefully.

“After my little session, what do you wanna do?”, Jihyo asked with her eyes smiling wide. “I checked the weather and it said every street will be packed with snow so we can’t be outside. So we can just go to a café; or we can go to a sauna; or we can go to that stadium where they have that huge ice rink.”

Sana just smiled at how silly she was. And she can’t help but let out a small laugh and said, “No, we can’t go to the café, or the sauna, or the ice rink. I have a new project for you, Ms. Park.”

“Already? How about the one with Chou Tzuyu? I thought-“

“It’s been taken care of.” She felt her nerves tremble as she was reminded of what happened earlier. She can’t explain but the way Tzuyu looked at her was so displeasing.

“Are you sure? I don’t think she’s the kind of person who’d give in so easily.”

Jihyo was right.

Even Sana was caught surprised when Tzuyu suddenly gave way and didn’t make any arguments against it. Then she thought if she should be concerned about it or just let it be.

But since they’re already past that, it’s better to keep it this way.

“Yes, I’m sure. Besides, I think you’ll like this new one better. And it’s a better compensation for what happened with the first project.”

“Really? What is it?”

“That can wait later.”, she whispered and kissed Jihyo on the forehead. “And later is going to be a big day.”

“Before the project, we need to finish that first.” Jihyo pointed at the unfinished painting of Sana by the window.

“That can also wait.” She smiled and lied on Jihyo’s chest. “Let’s just rest for now.”

 

Chapter 12 Bonus Edit

(Bonus Edit! :>>)

 

Hours ago.

He ran as fast as he could against the thick snow. His breath shortened and his limbs went frail as the air was thinning against the heavy snowfall that he could barely breathe anymore. It was as if his nose and lungs were being pierced and crushed with sharp ice as the cold continued to be harsh against his numb skin.

He was exhausted and tired of everything.

He had been running from his past he just can’t simply escape from.

He just wants to stop and rest.

His legs suddenly buckled and gave up. He fell on the snow and laid helplessly as his breath tried so hard to catch up. His vision was starting to get blurry as he watched the people at a distance run towards him.

“There he is!”

“Get him!”

“Chou-sama will be very pissed if we mess up!”

His men suddenly turned against him and started chasing him away.

The Chous must have been so desperate that they bribed them to get rid of him. Just so they can get the company for themselves.

And now he can’t go anywhere for he was cornered.

What a mess.

He should have seen it coming. He should have known the Chous would turn their back against him after all their years of alliance.

But he didn’t care anymore.

Because who would he even trust in this world? A world that’s only full of self-centered monsters.

He trusted nobody

Other than his only family that he left when he had been so greedy and selfish.

And now he has to face and atone to his sins and hope for forgiveness from her.

But he knew it was too much to ask.

He mustered up the strength he had left and pulled the gun from his coat and pointed it against his head.

“What’s he doing!”

“Run faster, you idiot!”

His hands trembled as he held his breath.

Then tears suddenly started pouring from his eyes as he remembered the day when he first held Jihyo in his arms. He remembered it was his happiest moment.

And as soon as he saw her opened her eyes and showed that bright smile, he swore he would do anything to give Jihyo everything.

And little did he know, after years of harvesting and hard work, greed and selfishness would build upon him and before he knew it, his obsession with money ate him up, devouring his humane senses.

And that obsession led to his doom.

He didn’t know he would be caught in a bigger mess against the association he made a deal with - an association where the Chous ruled over.

To avoid his family from getting involved, to have Jihyo grow up stainless from his crimes, he had to leave them.

He had to leave to make amends with the Chous. Thus their forbidding alliance.

An alliance that led to the death of Minatozaki.

And now here he was, facing betrayal.

I’m sorry, Jisoo-ya.

Appa has been a very bad father.

He closed his eyes and smiled softly.

He will never forget the widest smile he has ever seen when he saw Jihyo grinning from ear to ear while she danced so subtly with Sana.

It was the smile he had always wished to see after so many years.

He realized he never needed forgiveness.

He just wanted to see Jihyo happy.

Before he pulled the trigger, he held on to the letter as tight as he could and pictured her and Jihyo smiling and laughing.

We can rest now, dear.

 

 

My Dear Ji-soo,

Are you doing well?

There are many reasons why you are reading this now. It could be because we have been separated, or I have gone away, or I might have passed. But don’t cry and be strong just like what I told you. If you cry, I will tease you.

You’re a big girl now, aren’t you? You were so young, and I couldn’t tell you things I wanted to say so we waited until you grew up.

I’m sorry your Appa and I have been dishonest with you. We decided to separate because it’s what was best to keep you safe. Some bad people were chasing us so your Appa had to go away so they won’t bother us anymore.

I know you were very angry with him, but it was our only way. Your Appa might have had his faults but he isn’t a bad man. He won’t do something unless it was for our sake. I’m not asking you to forgive him but at least try to understand.

And right now, we’re here in Sapporo to be with him again. But we’re taking slow steps.

It’s a beautiful place. And I’ll finally take you tomorrow to its famous art park and we’ll see different artworks there and we’ll get to meet one of the artists.

I hope you visit it again someday.

Be careful and don’t forget to eat well. Remember to practice your .

Always with you,

Eomma

P.S. Have you given your painting?

 

She folded the paper and put it inside the envelope. Then she wrote on its back, “for My Dear Jisoo”.

Then she put inside her coat and headed to the kitchen.

“Jisoo-ya!”, she called. “Lunch is ready!”

“I’ll be down in a minute, eomma!”

She knew Jihyo won’t go down at all. She was busy doing another painting in her room.

She went upstairs and before she knocked, she looked over and saw Jihyo was painting her window view again. And she was amazed how she has improved so much.

She wishes to see her daughter grow up and watch her become a great artist.

But she knows she can’t.

“Jisoo-ya?”

Jihyo turned around and smiled widely at her as she points to her painting. “Eomma, look!”

She smiled very proudly at her and wished to see that smile again and again.

Don’t let anything stop you from smiling, Jisoo-ya.