CHAPTER 3

The Artist of Sapporo (TWICE SaHyo AU)

Everything went by fast over the weekend as Jihyo had to recover from her hangover.

Jihyo did get better over the weekend. The bump on her bruise was now gone as she constantly pressed it with ice packs but there was still a little bit of black and blue left. Her stomach had to go through excruciating pain as she had to vomit out and eliminate all the intoxication from her body. Good thing there were medicines that helped her get through the pain. The ache straining her eyes had gone away as she also put ice packs on it. She had to minimize her phone usage for two days to let her eyes recover. But her body was still a bit sore but not as much compared to the previous days.

The prize of too much alcohol.

As Jihyo drank her coffee, she looked at her watch to check how much time she still has before she goes to the company. She needs to get there by eight.

Still got an hour.

She looked outside her window and saw it was not snowing anymore. However, the streets were still covered with snow from the fall last night. Some traffic aides were removing snow from the walkways and some were melting them with blowers. Only few people were outside at this time since it was still early for work. Jihyo took the opportunity to walk to the company so she can stretch her body to prevent it from soring more.

She took her coat as she walked out of her apartment and headed to the ground floor.

It didn’t seem to be cold when Jihyo looked outside her window. But, when she stepped out of the building, she shivered as the breeze blew past her. She put on her coat and then started walking.

The company is only about two kilometers away from the apartment complex where Jihyo stays, which is about a thirty-minute walk. What’s in between the two is the Sapporo Odori Park. The company standing on its east side while the complex on its west.

Jihyo had walked the same path and walkway for the past month ever since she arrived in Sapporo. This time, she walked on a different one.

She saw the park on a different perspective, on a different angle. She observed how the hues of the trees were much brighter on the side she was walking on compared to the side she used to walk on. Brighter shades of pink, peach, and green.

She realized how redundant her life had been ever since she got here. From apartment to exhibit to company and back again.

However, after the past few days, something has changed. Over the span of few days, she felt a part of her had become brighter and enlightened. She felt relieved.

Jihyo didn’t realize that she was actually smiling at the thought. It wasn’t because the trees were brighter on this side. The trees have had the same color ever since it bloomed there. It was Jihyo who had the light in her eyes. It was her who had changed. This time, Jihyo was actually happy and relieved.

She sat on the bench to rest for a bit. She still has a lot of time, so she sets aside any worry.

She got distracted form the thought when someone sat on the other end of the bench. She had a dog with her - a golden dachshund. Jihyo looked at the person and noticed she had a band-aid on her nose. She looked really familiar, but she doesn’t remember her name. The person looked back at her.

“Oh, it’s you! That drunk friend of Mina!”, Jeongyeon exclaimed as she points at Jihyo.

Jihyo felt slightly insulted and embarrassed at the remark of her being drunk. It was clearly not a nice start for having such an impression.

“And you’re that barmaid friend of Ms. Myoui.”, Jihyo said coldly.

“You seem to not know my name. I guess you were too drunk after all.”, Jeongyeon teased as she chuckled at Jihyo. “I’m Jeongyeon.”, she pointed at herself and then she pointed at the dog. “And this one right here is Ray.”

“Oh, I’m Jihyo. Park Jihyo.”

“You know, Mina had a really hard time. Although she won’t say it, I can tell.”, Jeongyeon said as she pats Ray. “But it looked like she was happy to at least help a little, you know. I hope you make it up to her.” She smiled at Jihyo.

I guess this person isn’t mean at all.

“I know. I will make it up to her. You see, I don’t drink that much. It was just a nice night to drink, that’s all.”

“I can tell. A person who knows how to drink won’t just chug their way out, you know? So, I know it was your first time drinking so don’t even deny it.”, Jeongyeon laughed. Although Jeongyeon knows how bad that day was for Jihyo, she just let it go because it’s none of her business after all. And she didn’t want to ruin a person’s morning.

Jihyo just laughed at how Jeongyeon’s deduction was accurate.

She looked at Ray and smiled at how adorable he is with his tongue out.

“Is he your dog?”, Jihyo asked.

Jeongyeon smiled shyly. “Yes. And no. Technically, he is Mina’s. It’s my turn to take care of him this week.”

Jihyo was a little surprised. “Are you guys dating? “

“No, we’re not dating. I mean, we used to. But, you know, things happen. So, we settled as friends to give space and time passed. And, I guess you can say we’re working back to what we had. Ray got used to us being together, so we had to fix that.”, Jeongyeon smiled, a little embarrassed.

Jihyo smiled when she saw how Jeongyeon’s cheeks and ears turned red when she talked about it.

“How about you? What’s your story?”

“Me? No.”, Jihyo scoffed at the idea. “I never had one. And never will I.”, she said as neutral as possible.

Jeongyeon raised her brow and made a speculating look. “Really? Then what was that Mina telling me she had to take you to Minatozaki-sama’s?”

Jihyo never thought to hear this early in the morning so she was caught a little bit off guard. She tried not to look at Jeongyeon as she felt how her face was heating up. She remembered how embarrassing that night was, and she has yet to properly apologize to Sana. Speaking of, Sana told her to come to her office once she gets to the company; and now, once again, Jihyo thought of what to say to her.

“It was just business. Besides, I am not interested in Ms. Minatozaki. Why would I be? I know she is beautiful… Well, she really is, and I know I’m not the only who can see that, everyone does.” Jihyo caught her breath at the end.

“Oh, I see.”, Jeongyeon nodded. “I’m sorry for assuming.”

“No, it’s okay. I would assume too if I had not known many details about things like these.”, Jihyo smiled, trying to hide her embarrassment.

Jihyo checked her watch; and she still has fifteen minutes before eight.

“Well, Jeongyeon, it was nice to have a chat with you.”, Jihyo stood as she smiled. “I must be going now.”

“Same with you. Tell Mina I said hi.”

“I think you can tell her that yourself.”

 

Jihyo went inside the elevator and pressed the button for the top floor. Then, it stopped for a moment at a certain floor, and the head entered, ruining Jihyo’s Monday morning that she thought was going well.

“Isn’t it a wonderful morning, Ms. Park?”, he said and pressed on ground floor. He stood at the opposite corner. He smiled at her that filled Jihyo’s guts with distaste.

I don’t want to deal with this headache right now.

Jihyo just nodded and pretended to look at her schedule on her phone.

“You didn’t tell me about your meeting with Minatozaki-sama, yet. I heard it went well. Who knew you would convince her? It is quite rare for her to come to terms, you know. You really are dedicated. I see you really did a good job and I am proud.”, the head congratulated her as he reached for a handshake.

Tch. What do you know about dedication?

Jihyo ignored the head’s congratulatory attempt and just looked at her phone. “We have not yet discussed about the whole new project. And I believe this is not a place to discuss this matter.”

The old man chuckled. “Well then consider this as a friendly talk between us; and maybe give each other some advices. After all, you’re-“

“I have no intentions of being friends with you.”, Jihyo spat as she did not want him to finish what he had to say. It might just ruin her day even more.

The elevator dinged and finally opened. Jihyo exited as fast to get rid of the irritation this old man is giving her.

The head tried to hide his annoyance as he smiled fraudulently at Jihyo. “What a waste it is. Then, my only advice for you, Ms. Park, is to be careful.”

The elevator closed.

What a nuisance.

She got distracted when she saw and realized that the whole top floor is Sana’s office. Of course, as she is the company owner. It was Jihyo’s first time to ever enter there.

Jihyo walked through the hallway that leads to Sana’s office doors. There were paintings hanging on the walls. This time, Jihyo looked at them, not even bothered. She didn’t judge them; she didn’t criticize them. She just looked at them one by one as she passed by.

Jihyo noticed the paintings were arranged by the years they were made. From the 1950s to the early 2000s. She noticed the transition from each painting to the next where the colors varied from light to dark and dark to light. The themes were different from each. There were conflict and adversity, freedom and social change, heroes and leaders, humans and the environment, identity and character, industry and progress.

The styles on the paintings only varied into few. So Jihyo assumed the paintings were made by only a few people. She thought it must be only great paintings from great artists were chosen and hung on both walls since the paintings are really impressive as Jihyo herself was impressed as well.

She noticed at the end of the hallway, there was an empty slot for a painting. There was only a frame and below it was an empty golden plaque.

It must have been reserved for another artist.

On the opposite side of the empty frame, Jihyo saw a small painting that was made in 2004 and there is no name written on it. It was the latest painting that was hung. Jihyo thought how picky Sana’s father must have been to have anyone’s painting put up on the hallway since it has been sixteen years. Then she realized that it was about the same time Sana’s father died.

So that’s probably why they stopped hanging paintings.

Jihyo read the description. The other paintings’ descriptions were quite lengthy. However, this painting only had one word on it.

“Home.”

Jihyo suddenly felt something strangely familiar. Slowly, she looked at the painting and noticed how its colors were different from the rest. The colors used on the painting were bright and vibrant.

She realized that she has a similar painting back at their house in Korea. It is similar to the view from her old room’s window.

Jihyo tried not to confuse herself. She shook her head and thought that it must only be a coincidence since there were many houses with the same window perspective and views as hers. Besides, they lived in the suburbs where each house had the same styles of architecture. So Jihyo just let go of the thought.

But at the back of her head, she still thought how it had the same style with how she used to paint.

“Ms. Park.”

Jihyo was startled and saw Sana by the door smiling at her.

“Come in.”, she said as she motioned Jihyo inside.

When Jihyo entered, she smelled the Prada scent again and remembered Sana’s apartment. And how it smelled so good.

Jihyo didn’t realize she was inhaling the scent all the way to her lungs.

She stayed away from the thought before it goes somewhere else.

She looked around and saw there was nothing much inside Sana’s office. There was only her desk a few meters across the door and the couches in front of it. The cabinet shelves on the corners of the room were only filled with stacked papers and folders. Except for the one in the middle where it had a medium-sized box inside it.

She is a very clean person, I guess.

Jihyo stood in front of Sana’s desk while Sana stood behind it facing the window.

“First of all, Ms. Park. I want to formally apologize for being too self-centered. I really did not mean to put your efforts to waste. As for the incident… “, she paused and Jihyo thought which one as there were already too many incidents that have happened between them. And Sana seemed to realize it as well.

“…the incident at the museum, I am sorry for being blunt. But I was being honest. I hope, at this point, you realize the little points I’ve given you about how your works lacked feelings. I wish we can improve on that.”

Jihyo did realize it. She thought about it well during the weekend. It was not only a recovery from her hangover but for her inner self as well. She was actually grateful for having Sana point at something critical about art; and also, about herself.

Jihyo was about to say something but she was put to a stop when Sana went around her desk.

She slowly walked towards Jihyo and moved closer.

Sana took Jihyo’s hand and gave a tiny ball of black marble that has cracks paved with molten gold.

Then with a smile, Sana held onto Jihyo’s hand with both hands.

“I’m sorry.”, Sana whispered.

As a form of apology, people in Japan give tokens to settle any kind of dispute as a sign of respect to the other person. And Jihyo was bewildered how expensive this might be.

Jihyo was just stiff and surprised. She was confused. Not at the marble but how Sana said her apology.

She didn’t understand. But she felt that behind her sorry was the weight of different reasons. She didn’t understand but she felt the sincerity of her words. She didn’t understand but she felt how it showed meaning.

Jihyo slowly softened her body and let the tension go away. Despite how confused Jihyo was, she felt the comfort in Sana’s touch.

It felt like home.

Sana pulled away and smiled wider at Jihyo and looked at her in the eyes. Jihyo felt her stomach turn as she blushed and felt the heat crawl up to her ears.

“Don’t worry about apologizing for anything that happened, Ms. Park. Because you did nothing wrong.”, she smiled.

Jihyo felt the weight of guilt slowly swept away from her. She had thought about how her insensitivities must have affected Sana. Jihyo saw and felt Sana’s kindness radiated from her. She was being too kind to her after almost putting the company to a bad reputation because of her inconsideration and pride.

“I hope this settles us to a new and good start, Ms. Park.” Sana smiled at her which made Jihyo smile as well.

Sana went back to her desk and collected her belongings.

“Now, shall we go?”

Jihyo was surprised.

“Go where?”, Jihyo asked.

Sana beamed and smiled wider. “To the new site for the project.”

 

 

It was almost nine in the morning and Jeongyeon still has a lot of setting up to do. She still has yet to clean up another mess from yesterday where a drunk lunatic broke a bunch of bottles because he threw them one by one at two people and then fists came up. Although Jeongyeon was used to this mess, it was just a pain to clean everything up. And as an employee, she has to make everything look clean and decent.

Despite all the commotion caused by the customers, the place still gets a lot of customers because her talent in bartending is actually good compared to the others around the area. Thus, making the place really famous. Other than that, it is Jeongyeon who settles the troubles most of the time. She will put up her fists if she has to. And she had. A number of times. Just to end the trouble. Including the one from yesterday, in fact.

Good thing she opens at one in the afternoon. She still has a lot of time to clean everything.

“Oy, hyung.”, Chaeyoung called as she walked in.

“Chaeng. Your shift doesn’t start ‘til seven. What’s up?”, Jeongyeon asked as she mops the stains on the floor.

“Nothing. I just wanted to see what happened after last night. I heard someone went crazy.”, Chaeyoung laughed as she sat on a table. “And I guess that explains that little blow on your face, huh. You got squared good.”, she laughed louder when she saw the Band-Aid on Jeongyeon’s nose.

Jeongyeon just snorted. “It was stupid. There were these three people. Two of them were women and the other one was a dude. I didn’t hear anything, but after a while, the dude, who was drunk, started throwing bottles like this.” She exclaimed and swung her arms like a lunatic as she tried to mimic the man throwing bottles.

“I would’ve let them break each other’s necks but damn, I got annoyed. The other customers were kind of panicking, so I had to act up. Then I started throwing punches. And that led to here.”, Jeongyeon said as she pointed at the band-aid on her nose and then they laughed.

“They left after I landed good punches on their faces. Serves them right.”, Jeongyeon said proudly.

They went silent when Chaeyoung noticed there were two people outside the door. “Oy, hyung. Aren’t those the two people you were talking about?”

Jeongyeon looked at them and those were the two who caused the trouble yesterday. She noticed how the other one’s face is still fresh with bruises.

“Aish, don’t tell me they want a rematch.” Jeongyeon said as she walked to the door. “Oy, Chaeng. Back me up if something bad happens.”

Chaeyoung followed Jeongyeon outside.

“What do you want?”, Jeongyeon said smugly. “You two caused too much trouble already. Get lost.”

“Ah, we don’t want any trouble, Miss. We just want to ask a few questions, that’s all.”, the smaller one asked.

“What is it? You better be quick.”

“Do you know Park Jihyo?”, the other one, who sounded abrupt with the question.

Of course, she knows Park Jihyo. She is Mina’s friend after all. And she only saw her this morning at the park.

However, Jeongyeon suddenly felt suspicious about this.

“No, I don’t know any Park Jihyo. Now get lost. You two already have bad cuts from me. You better take some of the snow from the ground and shove them to your faces. Don’t make me add more.”

“But we were told she went here a few nights ago. So, you must know her.”

“Aish, you just don’t give up, do you? I already told you. I don’t know any Park Jihyo.”, Jeongyeon now sounded irritated and angry.

“Oh, okay. We must have been told the wrong thing. Sorry for the trouble. And please accept this as compensation for last night.”, the smaller one handed an envelope of money to Jeongyeon as she apologized.

She then bowed politely and tugged the other person who was glaring at Jeongyeon. And then they left.

“Oy, hyung. Who’s that Park Jihyo?”

 

 

Jihyo, who was used to the comfort of leather in her personal vehicles, struggled to find a comfortable way to sit on the public bus. The seats were hard for her to sit on like she was sitting on a boulder. She kept shifting almost every minute with minimal movements because she didn’t want to disturb Sana, who is sitting very comfortably beside her.

It would have been easier for Jihyo to move all she wanted if it weren’t for the tight space between them. Worse, she was on the window seat, which made it harder. There were no other seats left when they got on the bus as it was already full, leaving them to squeeze with one another on the two seats that felt like were meant for only one person.

I should’ve brought my car, instead of walking to the company.

If Sana would have told Jihyo that they will be going to the Sapporo Art Museum again, she should not have to suffer with this. It wasn’t only an uncomfortable ride for her, but it was long as well. The bus had several stops and still has to make some more.

Jihyo only looked outside the window because if she faces the other way, she would be extremely close to Sana. She already had that extreme proximity with her earlier in Sana’s office and it felt… heart-pounding.

Jihyo can feel their shoulders brush against each other. She could have been easily thinking about something else, but it bothered her, making her feel flustered. It bothered her to the point that it made her heart skip a little.

Aish, Park Jihyo. What’s wrong with you?

Jihyo felt her face heat up as she thought about it. She was worried that Sana might feel it too and make her feel uncomfortable. But, she just tried her best to conceal it anyway.

The road was covered with snow. And there were some stones that hid underneath.

At a very inconvenient time, the bus ran over a stone large enough to make the passengers jump a little from their seat.

Jihyo felt a light thud on her shoulder.

She slowly turned to see it was Sana who was surprisingly asleep.

She looked away. She was too close, and she felt embarrassed with it.

Jihyo almost didn’t notice that they were already near the Museum’s bus stop. She was distracted after all. Good thing the bus driver announced they were a few minutes away from the stop.

“Ms. Minatozaki.”, Jihyo whispered as she tried to lightly shake her shoulder. But Sana didn’t move. She was sleeping soundly. Jihyo felt a little guilty for disturbing her.

Jihyo didn’t know what else to do so she just poked Sana’s forehead. “Ms. Minatozaki. We’re almost there.”

Finally, Sana opened her eyes.

Still leaning on Jihyo’s shoulder, Sana smiled. “You’re really warm.”, she giggled. “I had a good nap. Thank you, Ms. Park.”

 

Jihyo was relieved that she could finally stretch her arms and neck as they got off from the bus.

“You’re really not used to public transits, are you, Ms. Park?”, Sana giggled.

“I can manage. I just didn’t expect for us to have a long ride.”

“I’m sorry. I should have told you about it.”, Sana chuckled as she started walking to the museum while Jihyo followed.

“How come you don’t use a car, Ms. Minatozaki?” Jihyo had wondered about it because she hasn’t seen Sana drive.

“Just because it’s way cheaper than having to pay for gas and maintenance. I have my car though. I just don’t use it that much.”

“Don’t you think it would be bad for the car not being used at all?”

“It’s at least safe inside the garage, right?”, Sana laughed. “And, I really enjoy it because I don’t have to worry about looking at the road straight ahead. I can look at different things.”

“And sleep all you want.”, Jihyo said as they laughed.

It was snowing a little, but it was still quite cold even though Jihyo had her coat on. Sana saw Jihyo shivered a little, so she moved closer.

“I’m a little cold, too.”, Sana giggled and Jihyo smiled at her.

Jihyo noticed how they were speaking quite informal to each other now. And how they were acting quite informal too. But she didn’t mind because Sana didn’t seem to mind it either. Was it because they were outside the company or was it because they were a little more comfortable with each other?

Jihyo thought both were right. She thought how things change so fast in such a short time. She recalled how she felt annoyed and irritated at Sana only a few days ago.

And how she felt a little shy and happy right now with her.

A new good start, I see.

Jihyo smiled at the thought and then let it slip away.

Because all that matters to Jihyo is now.

They went inside the Museum and Sana went to the receiving desk and asked where she could find the curator. The employee pointed as he explained the directions to Sana.

Sana walked back to Jihyo with a guide map on her hand. “She is at the Sculpture Garden.”

“The Sculpture Garden? Where is that?”, Jihyo asked tiredly as she thought they would have to ride a bus again.

“Don’t worry, Ms. Park. It’s still a part of this place. It’s just a little walk from here. This place is really huge, you know. It’s Sapporo Art Park. You see, if I’m not mistaken, this place has this museum, a craft hall, and a lot of studios. Apart from the café, it also has a restaurant at the park center. It also has a gallery that has different themes every season. And that sculpture garden that has 74 sculptures made by 64 artists from different countries. It also has a concert hall.”

Jihyo was stunned. She can’t believe how wide this place is. She didn’t know this is an art park at all. She thought it had only one establishment because when she looked outside before, she couldn’t see any other buildings as there were trees and snow covering them.

“That’s amazing… Truly.”, Jihyo said with awe as it truly is amazing.

“You’ll be more amazed when you see every single one of them.”

“Have you been here before?”

“Apart from our meeting last time, yes. Even when I was young. So, I know this place like the back of my hand. Like an etch on my brain.”

“Really? Then why did you ask for directions?”, Jihyo snickered as she raised her brow.

“I didn’t. I was just being polite, so I just let him continue.”, Sana smiled as she put the guide map on Jihyo’s hand.

“We’re not walking all the way there though; since we’re here for business. We’ll have to ride the cart. So, your sightseeing can wait.”

Jihyo smiled at Sana’s small joke. “I’m all about business, anyway. I don’t mind sightseeing at all, though.”

Sana’s face lit up when she thought of something exciting.

“I’ll give you a tour after this.”, she beamed with a wide smile.

 

 

“Wait, hyung. So, Park Jihyo is not Minatozaki-sama’s girlfriend?”, Chaeyoung asked with in depth thoughts with a can of beer in hand.

Jeongyeon swatted Chaeyoung’s head as she already heard this question three times already. “Pabo. I already told you she isn’t.”

Jeongyeon sighed. “Anyway, that’s not what’s important. I already messaged Mina about the two ladies right after they left.”

“Why’d they look for her, though? Just like us, she’s from Korea. Why would anyone from Japan look for someone from Korea? Unless they’re also from Korea.” she said as she was about to drink.

“Oy!” Jeongyeon snatched the beer from Chaeyoung before she could take a sip. “You have a shift later. Don’t even think about it. It’s still too early for a beer, geez.”, she scolded her and then drank from the beer.

Chaeyoung just made a scornful look. “You’re the one who has the earlier shift. Why are you drinking? It’s almost one already!” Chaeng reached for the beer.

“Because I’m older.”, Jeongyeon sticked her tongue out and pulled the beer away.

When Jeongyeon was about to take a sip, she saw Mina standing by the front bar with her arms crossed as she shakes her head at Jeongyeon.

Jeongyeon immediately shoved the can to Chaeyoung who then immediately put it down when she also saw Mina looking at her.

Mina sighed, “You two really are siblings.”

“Hey, Mina-chan. Ray’s at home, he’s doing fine. I walked him this morning at the park where I saw Park Jihyo. Speaking of her, what’s the deal?”, Jeongyeon said as she tried to casually avoid the trouble she was about to be in.

“I honestly don’t know.”, Mina sighed. She really didn’t know but she was concerned, and she wanted to talk to Jihyo about whatever this is.

“Anyway, I’m not here to talk about it. I need to talk to Ms. Park first and know whatever this is.”

“Then what are you here for?”, Chaeyoung asked.

“A drink, obviously. You open in a few minutes, right?”, Mina said as she sat at the front bar.

Jeongyeon felt a little guilty about how she had somehow influenced such an innocent-looking lady.

“And don’t think you two can get away with that beer.”

 

 

The snowfall had fortunately stopped by the time Jihyo and Sana arrived at the garden. The atmosphere in the Sculpture Garden was serene. Jihyo can see some of the sculptures displayed and she knew at an instant they are all works of experts. Added to the ambience is how the colors of the surrounding blended well with the sculptures. Although they were padded with a little snow, one can still see its magnificence when admired at a closer distance.

“Ah, Sana-chan!”, the curator exclaimed when she saw Sana walked towards her.

Sana-chan?

When Jihyo saw her, she knew the woman is just a few years younger than her. She wondered how it is that she is the art park’s curator for she seemed to be a bit young.

“I haven’t seen you in a long time, Chou-san.”, Sana smiled as she shook her hands.

Chou-san??

The woman smiled wider when she went for the handshake. And she looked excited. “I think the last time we saw each other was about two years ago. You have grown a lot. A lot more beautiful, I should say.”, she softly said. Sana just smiled at the compliment.

What a flirt. Somehow, Jihyo felt aloof from this woman.

“Chou-san, this is Park Jihyo, the artist we recently commissioned from Korea.”, Sana motioned Jihyo to move closer to her side. “You might’ve heard about her since some of her many great works have been displayed in many known galleries across the world. She is also the top student in fine arts in her university which is why we she was chosen to do this project. She was also a candidate for this year’s 21st century prodigy. And she really is an excellent artist.” Sana smiled at Jihyo.

Jihyo felt the pride flow through her when Sana told this Chou-san about how great of an artist she is.

“Ah, yes. Of course, I do know every great artist in this world. How would I not know you?”

Jihyo, with her chin raised and her face stern, answered boldly, “Thank you.”

“It’s great meeting you.”, Tzuyu said as she took Jihyo’s hand for a handshake which Jihyo thought was a little uncomfortable and irritable.

“Ms. Park, this is Chou Tzuyu, the art park’s curator, a friend of mine.”, she paused. “And this year’s 21st century prodigy.”

Jihyo felt like she was kicked in the gut. Although, she didn’t really bother that much about the award, she just could not accept that this Chou Tzuyu was the one who got awarded with it. Somehow, Jihyo felt even more bothered when Sana mentioned that she is a friend of hers.

“Let’s go to the park center and have tea while we talk about this project.”, Tzuyu smiled at them.

Jihyo followed behind the two who were happily talking to each other. She didn’t seem to mind but she was feeling a bit bothered with it.

She saw how Sana’s eyes lit up when Tzuyu joked about something. Jihyo didn’t even try to listen to whatever it was they were laughing about because why would she, anyway. So instead, she just looked at the sculptures laid out across the garden as they head to the center’s restaurant.

She stopped when she saw a huge artwork that seemed familiar at a distance. She couldn’t see it well because the snow covered some parts of it. It was about three hundred meters long. It has a gigantic hollow cone at the start. In front of it was an elevated river-spring-like ground leading to the gigantic gate frame at the very end. She felt like she had seen it before.

“Ah, that’s called The Path to the Hidden Garden.”, Tzuyu said when she noticed Jihyo was looking at it. “It was made by Daniel Karavan not long after the Art Park opened in 1986. He finished it in 1999.”

“The famous sculptor from Israel?”

“Yes, the great Karavan. He will visit here on Saturday for the Snow Light Festival. I have so much respect for the man. You might say he is a bit old for he is near to his 90s, but he still has that strong spirit of an artist.”

Jihyo suddenly felt excited about the festival. She had long admired Karavan’s work ever since she read about him and some of his works. Although she had seen him in a conference in Europe, she never had the chance to talk to him. So, she thought this would be a great opportunity.

When they entered the restaurant, Tzuyu excused herself for a bit, leaving Jihyo and Sana sitting by a table in an enclosed room.

The room was silent for a bit. It was a bit awkward.

“Chou-san and I have been friends since we were young.”, Sana suddenly blurted. Jihyo didn’t ask but she was curious about what is it between them, anyway. “The last time I saw her was about two years ago because she had to go overseas to continue her career.”, her voice got softer.

“Which is why we were a little bit chatty on the way here.”, she snickered.

“Oh…”, Jihyo just nodded, letting out a small laugh. Still, she was still a little bit bothered because she didn’t get to hear what she wanted to hear. What is it that she wanted to hear, anyway?

“Chou-san’s father is the actual curator. She is just a temporary one since her father had to go overseas.”

Jihyo wasn’t sure where Sana is getting at. But she noticed Sana seemed like she had the urge to say it. So, she just nods to her.

“I see.”

“You know, Ms. Park. I’ll tell you a secret.”, Sana slid next to Jihyo.

Jihyo suddenly felt uneasy and tensed when Sana leaned closer to her. Sana lightly pulled Jihyo to whisper something to her.

Again, Sana was really close to Jihyo. She felt her shoulders shudder when Sana leaned even closer.

Jihyo held herself and paid close attention to whatever this secret is.

“If it weren’t for the discontinuity, you’d still be the 21st century prodigy.”, Sana smiled next to her ear.

Jihyo felt Sana’s giggle on her neck. Jihyo felt her face slowing burning up. She felt her heart pound with irregular thumps, unsynchronized with her normal breathing. But Jihyo managed to show a shy smile as she tried to hide the redness of her ears. How can she, though? Sana was right next to her.

Jihyo was just speechless.

“Oh? Aren’t you supposed to be used to these compliments, Ms. Park?”, Sana smirked. “How come you can’t even thank me?”, she looked at Jihyo as she moved away to sit properly.

Jihyo kept her wits and tried to say something but Tzuyu knocked and came in.

“I’m sorry I took a while. Now shall we begin?”

 

 

Meanwhile, on the other side of Sapporo were the two women who caused the ruckus at the bar, standing by a dead body.

They were under a bridge leading to the edge of the city, where a river ran below it.

“Nayeon-ssi, what are we going to do now?”, Dahyun asked, covered in concealed panic.

“I don’t know. But for now, we can look at this as evidence.”, Nayeon, with gloves on, checked the body to look for any signs of cut marks but didn’t find any.

“Evidence? Against whom? We don’t even know who to blame for this. It could be suicide.”

“It’s too coincidental if this is a suicide. And we do know who might have done this. But we just lack information about it.”, Nayeon grunted. “And If I were rich, I don’t think I’ll ever commit suicide especially right after I just received a huge amount of money.”, she added.

“But he doesn’t have any marks.”

“Well he could’ve been pushed off from the bridge.”

“Ah, right, right. You’re right”, Dahyun nodded.

The dead person was the drunk man they were trying to interrogate last night at the bar. It wasn’t much of an interrogation because of the incident that happened in the middle of it where the man just started throwing bottles at them. They could have gotten some information out of him if it weren’t for Jeongyeon who later on started brawling with them.

“Tsk. We should have at least had enough information about this.”, Nayeon groaned.

“What do you think of it, Hirai-san?”, Dahyun asked the woman who was crouching by the river as the woman picked a paper up without gloves.

“Oy, what are you doing? At least wear gloves before you touch anything! Idiot.”, Nayeon shouted at her.

“I think we have something here.”, Momo showed them the damp paper that barely had any writings left.

Nayeon sighed, “We really need to see Park Jihyo again.”

 

 

Jihyo had to go back alone because Sana said she will be staying a little longer to catch up with Tzuyu. Jihyo scoffed at the thought.

Catching up?

I see.

It suddenly snowed when their meeting ended so Jihyo didn’t get the chance to look around the Art Park. But Sana assured her that they will meet there again on Wednesday to have a little tour around and then start the project. Jihyo thought how silly it was that Sana had the time to stay with that Chou Tzuyu while she didn’t have the time to look around with Jihyo.

Stop, Park Jihyo. It was snowing. And It’s not your business. Why are you like this?

It’s not like she is privileged to be with Sana.

Jihyo just let the thought go before she thinks too much about it and feel even more bothered with it. She was going to see Sana on Wednesday anyway.

When Jihyo arrived at her apartment, it was already almost six in the evening. She got a little hungry and she didn’t feel like cooking or going to a restaurant. She remembered the nearest sushi place has a promo for the Sapporo Special Sushi tonight. So, she showered and changed into her track suit, which she often uses as pajamas, and went out again to buy the sushi.

There were still many people around since it is the time people usually go home from work and it is also a good time to eat out or just go out with friends and family. Despite the cold and snowy weather, there were still a lot of people at Odori park. There were children playing with the snow savoring their time before doing schoolwork, people were drinking hot tea while they talk to each other enjoying each other’s company, and some were just alone sitting by themselves who are tired from work or just simply wanted to be alone.

So, this is humanity that Sana talked about.

The project Sana gave to Jihyo was quite different from the original one. The theme stays the same – humanity. Chou Tzuyu told them that there won’t be enough space if the whole project will involve the whole exhibit since they cannot just simply remove what is in there already. So, they decided to have Jihyo make just one art piece. And Jihyo still doesn’t have any idea what she will do.

Having a project that involves many art works is less stressful and less pressuring because the attention of people is scattered and focused on how different each piece is, mostly paying attention to the collective meaning the whole project is about. However, with only just once piece, Jihyo thought it would be absolutely challenging because the attention is centered to it, where everything needs to be in one place.

When Sana told her how her works do not portray and show feelings and meaning, Jihyo knew she had much to learn about these humane characters and values. Although she does know it intellectually, she still has yet to understand more of its value.

She thought what she should do and how she should do it.

Jihyo thought this project must be made for Sana as it should be since it is a personal commission.

But that’s the thing. Jihyo needs to know what made Sana have it done as something personal. She needs to know why she wanted it to be made.

Then Jihyo suddenly thought that Sana never actually gave any reason behind the project even before she started the first one.

So Jihyo has to make sure that Sana tells her about the reason to have a better understanding so she can make it the best piece she will have ever done.

It is for Sana, after all.

After buying packs of the special sushi, she went out of the store and she saw a kid building a small snow man.

She remembered how she used to build different kinds of snowmen. She built them with odd shapes and features. Her mom would always ask what each of them were and why she built them that way. And Jihyo would describe each detail but she never answered why she built them with weird shapes because she didn’t know the reason. She just thought it was pretty.

Jihyo suddenly felt like there was someone watching her from behind. She didn’t look, but it was a hunch. She had the odd feeling that she was being followed.

She turned around to see but there was no one. So, she just continued walking.

But then she heard fast footsteps approaching behind her. She quickly turned around and swung her arm and brutally punched the person straight to the nose and heard it crack against the intense blow.

The person fell on the pavement, covering his bloody nose. The people around them stared and chattered at the sight of the man helplessly rolling on the floor. But they just continued to walk away to avoid any more commotion.

She looked and saw that it was just the owner of the sushi place, J-san.

“J-san! I’m so sorry.”, she quickly went and helped the old man stand up.

J-san just smiled at her and laughed. “Aish, Ms. Park. That was a good blow right there. You have a strong arm.”, he said as he covered his nose.

“I’m really sorry. I got a bit ahead of myself there.”

The old man just laughed. “That’s good, that’s good. I wouldn’t hesitate either if I sense danger. Anyway, you forgot your change.”, he said as he handed the money with his other hand.

“Oh. Thank you, J-san. I’m really sorry about this.”, Jihyo said as she continued to apologize to the old man.

“No, no, no. It’s good you’re capable of yourself. And that’s useful. Next time, don’t forget your change, okay?”, he patted Jihyo on the shoulder and left as he held on to his broken nose.

 

 

The following day, Mina couldn’t wait to see Jihyo to talk about the two women looking for her. She had suspicions that it was the same women she saw outside the complex Sana lived in.

However, Jihyo messaged her that she will not be going to the company today. She didn’t tell her why. Jihyo is not required to go to the company every day because she is not an employee. And Mina thought how great that would be.

Mina felt frustrated because she really needed to see Jihyo about it. Mina would go to Jihyo’s apartment, but she doesn’t know where it is. It is that important. She cannot just simply tell this to anyone because it is crucial, although Jeongyeon does know about it.

While she was at the company lounge, she heard the news from the television.

“Yesterday, a man was found dead by a river under a bridge at the borders of Sapporo. The cause of death is still unknown, but police reported it to be a suicide as there were no signs of assault. The man was said to be last seen alive walking just outside Creative Productions’ Headquarters. Police are still investigating to confirm whether it was murder or suicide…”

Upon hearing the company’s name, Mina looked at the news and saw the photo of the man she saw walked out of the head’s office.

 

 

Jihyo didn’t go to the company today because she felt tired when she woke up. She remembered what happened to J-san and hoped that it wasn’t too bad.

She sighed as she set up a new canvas beside the window.

She wanted to think and plan on what concept of her project would be. And she knows it would take her a lot of time to think about it.

She felt like painting since she hasn’t painted for a couple of days now. She also thought that it’s a way to keep her from boredom and to keep her mind alive to make her think.

While painting the view from her apartment window, Jihyo also heard the news as she listened to the television. She never thought there would be such crimes in Japan because the country is well known for its low crime rate. That is if it was a crime, Jihyo thought.

She has yet to decide and think of what she should do for the project. But she needs to talk to Sana about it which is why she cannot think of anything even. Although she does try hard to make ideas out of it.

She can wait for tomorrow since she will see Sana then.