CHAPTER 6

The Artist of Sapporo (TWICE SaHyo AU)

The next day,

It’s already past noon and she has to meet Sana at the Art Park again later this afternoon.

Jihyo luckily woke up with no hangover. It seems that she had removed all the excess alcohol from her body when she came back to her apartment and threw up a lot last night.

Even though, she felt a different ache that slightly tugged her insides.

Sana.

No matter how much she tries to stray from it, Jihyo’s mind still clings on to what happened last night at the elevator. It was as if her eyes had a mind of its own, reading and observing the details that carved Sana’s face. Jihyo can’t deny that every bit of it is perfect.

Again however, there’s that little weave from her mind that made her feel a bit at pity.

“You should know your limits, Jihyo.”

Jihyo lightly tapped her face and focused on cleaning and arranging the acrylics she used. Her painting of her window view is finally finished. She looked at it for a few minutes, checking if there are corrections that need to be made. And there are none. However, she thought that there’s still something missing.

She got distracted when she saw the package at the couch. Sana gave it to her last night and said that the security guard was supposed to give it to her instead but didn’t get the chance.

She opened it and pulled out a bunch of papers.

And all these papers were blank. She looked at the front and back side from page to page but still there were nothing in it.

Until she got the last paper at the bottom.

Jihyo furrowed her brows.

What the hell is this?

At its center, there’s a small black print that says, “Be Careful”. And underneath the text, there’s a small red splatter that had lightly turned brown.

Jihyo didn’t feel scared or threatened. She just thought it might be some kind of joke. But then she thought it would be a bit much and implausible for it to be just a silly joke since her name and the address of the complex was written clearly on the package.

She put the papers back inside the package and messaged Nayeon to meet her at the sushi place right now.

 

 

While Jihyo was waiting for Nayeon at the sushi bar inside, J-san noticed that she looked a bit down. So, with his vow to always make his customers always happy with their service, he took two pieces of freshly cooked sushi and placed it on the plate in front of her.

“That’s free, no charge, just be happy.”, he smiled widely at Jihyo as he placed the chopsticks beside her plate.

Jihyo looked at the sushi’s bright orange colors and took in its delicious smell. She let out a soft smile. “Thank you, J-san.”

Instantly, J-san noticed the familiar gloomy shell that covered Jihyo. And through his countless similar encounters with his customers, he knew exactly what it was. It was the look of hurt and loss.

“You know, yesterday, I bought crab meat and when I got home, it turned out they already have gone sour.”, he laughed. “I got really upset, you know?”

Jihyo laughed softly at him. “That must’ve been a bummer. You should buy them from another store next time.”

“I should. I should.”, he nodded. “But you know, Park-san. I thought it was such a waste. But crab meat is good for plants too. So, I used them as fertilizers for the plants out there.” He pointed at the plant box outside, by the restaurant. “The plants will live on. And I said, ah, no wastes at all.” He cheerfully smiled as he continued to cook more sushi. He placed another piece on Jihyo’s plate and said, “Remember that after every bad, there always comes the good. Whatever it is you’re feeling right now, it’ll be better.”

Jihyo suddenly realized what J-san was trying to tell her. It was funny how he put it into those words, but she also thought it was clever.

“Thank you again, J-san. I honestly don’t know what I’m feeling right now but I think I’m starting to understand it.”, Jihyo sighed as she tried not to sound too dismal about it.

Jihyo knows for sure that she just wanted to make Sana happy because she deserves to be. She thought that’s where she stands, since that’s her job as an artist and as a friend. But Jihyo wondered why is it that every time she thinks of Sana together with Tzuyu, she felt her insides twist with unease like they were tugging her heart down.

“You really know a lot about these things, J-san.”, she smiled at him and took a bite from the sushi.

“This one right here,” he pointed at his left chest. “is old and had gone through enough for me to know a lot.”, he smiled softly. “But this one,” he pointed to his face. “has still yet to wrinkle.”, he laughed and Jihyo laughed with him.

“Now, enjoy eating. I’ll have to attend to the other customers.”, he smiled and went to a different station.

Jihyo thought how silly the old man can be. She wondered how he can be so happy after his wife had died a long time ago. It must be a strong kind of love that whatever happens, you still smile and stay happy for the other.

“Jihyo-ya.”, Nayeon called as she just arrived. “I never thought you’d call me right away.”, she laughed. “Did something happen?”

She sat beside Jihyo and took a sushi from her plate and ate it whole. “I’m sorry. I didn’t eat yet.”, she smiled with her cheeks still stuffed.

Jihyo just sighed and pulled out the package and placed it in front of Nayeon.

“That’s what happened.” She said with a serious look.

Nayeon stared at it and gave her a confused look. “Are you still drunk?”

Jihyo can’t believe that she’s actually talking to a senior detective. “Pabo. Check inside.”

Nayeon opened the package and brought out the blank papers. She flipped through every page and then when she finally got to the last one, her eyes narrowed as her brows furrowed.

“What’s this?”, she asked as she looked closer.

“After you left last night, Sana came and-“

“Wait. Sana? Minatozaki Sana? You’re working with her?”, Nayeon was surprised when Jihyo mentioned her name.

Jihyo wondered why Nayeon sounded surprised that it seemed to her that it’s somewhat of a revelation. “Yes, her. She’s the one who commissioned me. That’s why I’m here in Sapporo.” She looked at Nayeon with a stern stare. “Anyway, as I was saying, she came to my apartment and gave me that since the guard wasn’t able to, so it was handed to her instead. I thought it was just a joke or some kind of mistake. But you can see that’s my name right there.”, she pointed at the package.

Nayeon didn’t speak and just looked at the black print that spelled across the center of the paper, reading it over and over. She looked at the small brownish red splotch under the text. She looked at closely and then suddenly, her eyes were plastered with alarm.

“What?”, Jihyo asked as her brows creased seeing Nayeon rattled.

Nayeon stood up and she put the papers back inside the package.

“Can I take this?” Nayeon sounded agitated but she tries to hide it so Jihyo won’t be alarmed.

“If you need it, sure. But tell me why.”, Jihyo stood up and faced Nayeon with a confused stare.

Nayeon couldn’t say anything because she should not say anything at all. Nayeon thinks that this is definitely related to the case. And that case involves Jihyo as it involves her mother. However, just as what she said before, all they have right now are only some assumptions that lead to another. There are no solid evidences or proofs that they can use. But she thought that this package could be another step to a closer solidity since it is too much of a coincidence to have Jihyo receive a suspicious note directed to her name.

She can’t tell Jihyo that this case is about Minatozaki Sana’s father because she works with the company and it would be very bad for Jihyo know about it. They only need Jihyo to remember the face of the suspect. But it seems like that isn’t needed anymore.

The man they interrogated for this case, the one they found dead by the river, was last seen there at the company and Mina saw that man walk out of the head’s office. And just this morning, they found out that the paper they found was a list of money transactions of the company. And the transactions can only be accessed by a few people – Minatozaki Sana, the directors, and the head.

And that narrows it down to one thing.

The suspect that killed old Minatozaki could be the production head. It makes sense because the head had some kind of feud about the company against old Minatozaki before he was murdered.

That’s why he’s afraid of Jihyo because if she remembered everything about the incident, he would lose everything. He must be afraid that Jihyo might tell Minatozaki Sana herself.

But how does he know that Jihyo is the witness? She was just seven years old when the incident happened.

She pushed the thoughts away and cleared . Nayeon sighed as she lets the tension slide and calmed herself.

“Look. I’ll bring this to the agency and see what I can find okay? Don’t worry too much about. Just like what you said, it must be just another joke.”, Nayeon manage to let out a smile.

Jihyo only gave her a cold look. “Is this related to the case?”

“Maybe..? I don’t think so… No... We’ll see.” Nayeon doesn’t want to tell Jihyo because she really isn’t sure. And she didn’t want to lie to her. But it seems like lying is the best way to not let any worry rise and to at least make everyone safe.

“Sometimes, it’s a little better for the world to know little or nothing.”

“Don’t forget to come to the agency after this project of yours. And don’t forget to call if there’s something else.” Nayeon took the package and put it inside her bag. “And Jihyo, don’t do anything reckless, alright?”, she waved at her and left in hurry.

Jihyo just sat back down and thought that it must be a part of the case. A part of the incident. Since it could not just be any coincidence. But then why now and not ever before? Why is it that it only happened now that she is in Sapporo?

She sighed and thought that she must be just overthinking things. Besides, Nayeon assured her that she’ll handle it and inform her when something’ up.

She stood up and left. She still has to go to the Art Park.

 

 

Dahyun and Momo were on break so they decided to play Jenga to pass time.

Momo was taking too long thinking which block she should pull. She was looking at the one in the middle and the one at the bottom. She placed her hand on her chin as she thought about it thoroughly.

“Hirai-san, you’re taking so long.”, Dahyun complained. She had been waiting for almost five minutes now.

“Shh. I’m concentrating.”

She clicked her tongue and then she finally decided to pull the one from the middle.

Dahyun was anticipating that the tower will definitely fall because the balance will be unstable once that block is pulled.

But to her surprise, Momo did a good job and pulled out the block and placed it easily on top.

“You’re really good at this.”, Dahyun said in amazement as she patted Momo’s back.

“I’m an expert.”, she smirked as she felt the pride filling in her head.

When it was Dahyun’s turn, she leaned closer to the table to take a close precision and see which block would be best to not disrupt the balance.

Then she saw the one near the bottom. She was very sure that she’ll make it.

As she was about to touch it, the tower quickly fell when Momo shook the table as she startled when Nayeon suddenly came bursting through the door.

Dahyun contained her fury as she just stared at the completely dismantled tower, thinking about how sure she was that she that she’ll win.

“I was really close to winning. Thank you, Nayeon-ssi.”, she said as she smiled sarcastically.

“What’s the hurry?” Momo asked as she watched Nayeon rummage through the piles of paper on her desk.

“Have you guys seen the autopsy results of that man from the bridge?”, Nayeon said as she continuously looked through the papers.

“Yeah, it’s with me.”, Dahyun said as she pulled it out from her drawer.

“Great. Now I’ll just have to find- ah! there it is.”, she pulled a small container of powder under the papers.

Momo looked at her and was confused at what she was doing. “What are you-“

“Hirai-san, please get this and analyze the prints there.”, she handed the package and the powder to her. “And tell me if there are some matches to the ones we found at the bridge. And see if anything matches with our suspect’s prints. Wear your gloves first.”

“Oh, okay. On it.”, Momo pulled out a pair of gloves from her desk and wore it. She took the package and powder from Nayeon and went out.

“And you, Dahyun-ssi.”, Nayeon pulled out the paper with the text and handed it to Dahyun. “Please tell me if the splotch there matches with the blood of the man from the bridge.”

“Wait. What is this exactly, Nayeon-ssi?”

Nayeon faced her with a firm stare.

“I think we can safely say that the one who killed old Minatozaki was the current head of the production company."

 

 

It was already three in the afternoon when Jihyo arrived at the Art Park. The traffic at the city was devastatingly heavy. The roads were again covered with snow which made all vehicles move slow. But good thing is that Sana didn’t tell any specific time for Jihyo to meet her. She just said to come whenever she’s available in the afternoon.

Sana told Jihyo to meet her at the gallery. So Jihyo parked her car near the park center since it’s closer.

Her thoughts still wandered about what happened that night at the elevator. She tried hard to stay away from it but there’s something in her mind that made her want to think more about it. She felt pity for herself. It was making her suffer to feel the urge of wanting to see that godly view again. But she is fully aware that she might not ever be able to.

She remembered what Tzuyu said.

Jihyo retorted when she thought that Sana would be very much likely want it too. Tzuyu and Sana already had something, so it wouldn’t be too hard for them to continue whatever that is.

Why am I even acting this way?

And just as she thought,

When she entered the art gallery, Jihyo saw Tzuyu standing beside Sana, their backs facing her. They were laughing together while they look at a painting hanging on the wall on the other end of the hall.

Jihyo had never heard nor seen Sana laugh like this ever since she met her. She thought that Chou Tzuyu could be the only one that can make her laugh like this. It was pleasing to Jihyo to see Sana smile as she told herself that she’d do whatever it takes just to make Sana smile.

“You should know your limits, Jihyo.”

But she can’t also deny the jealousy she feels. Although Jihyo isn’t aware of it, she can feel her senses ingest the crave that she should be the one beside Sana making her laugh like that.

Jihyo walked towards them and she almost stopped on her tracks when she saw Tzuyu lean closer to Sana like she was about to whisper something. But Tzuyu just gave her a peck on the cheek as she smiled. And Sana didn’t budge as she giggled and slightly flinched at the sudden gesture.

“We’re not close like that.”

Jihyo felt her chest got pulled down by a thousand tons. It felt severely heavy that she thought she might end up doing unthinkable things. Jihyo felt a strange and menacing feeling. It felt like she wanted to do something that would bring about very unpleasant outcomes.

When she saw Tzuyu smile from ear to ear like she had won a roulette, Jihyo felt her face heat up and her eye faintly twitch. She didn’t realize that her fist was curling up, lightly crumpling the sketches she made. She felt the want to free the barbarity in her.

At the sight, she had the compelling urge to throw all the papers away and just leave.

What am I doing?

Jihyo pulled her sane thoughts back to her wits and tried to calm herself down.

Jihyo walked to them and Tzuyu saw her. Sana turned and was a bit surprised like she wasn’t expecting her to be here already.

“Ms. Park, good afternoon.”, Tzuyu smiled at her, which made Jihyo flinch a little as she smiled nicely back at her.

Sana smiled widely at her. “Good afternoon, Jihyo.”

Jihyo shuddered when she called her.

Jihyo felt Sana’s words echo in her ears as she mentioned her name. It felt out of place. She felt an odd feeling when she heard it, like it wasn’t supposed to be coming from her.

She felt like Sana didn’t bear the liberty to call her with her name.

Jihyo buried her thoughts and focused since she’s here for the project and nothing else.

“Good afternoon.”, Jihyo greeted with a neutral look as she plainly smiled.

Sana flinched when Jihyo sounded so flat and formal.

“Alright then, shall we start?”, Tzuyu smiled and gestured them to the room that Jihyo will be using for the project.

When they entered, Jihyo examined the room while she walked to its corners. It’s a standard room where it can fit about a dozen people in it, enough for her piece to breathe in. The walls are painted solid white. The lights on its edges are bright enough to illuminate its details. It’s a perfect fit for the project.

But Jihyo didn’t feel right.

It was just hours ago when Jihyo felt the rush and excitement about this project. She was so eager to show her plans and elaborate every detail that is written and drawn on her sketches.

But now, Jihyo felt that excitement had gone away long ago. She didn’t feel the enthusiasm she had when she first thought of the project. She felt that she just wanted to make the piece perfect for the publicity’s eye, catching their attention, inciting the awe from their faces. And that’s that. Nothing more. Just like before.

Jihyo felt the piece had lost its meaning.

She plainly talked and babbled about her plans to Sana and Tzuyu. She walked around and showed them what and which will be placed and where each will stand. She talked about the dimensions, the features, the size, the colors. She explained the processes that will be done, step by step, first to finish. She showed everything without the slight show of enthusiasm, but she tried her best to continue with the energy she can muster.

She didn’t bat an eye to whatever their reactions are to what she’s saying. She looked like she was just talking to herself, not minding the other two’s silence. She looked like a corpse that played along with the strings attached to her limbs as she moved like a lifeless puppet, with the feeling of emptiness as her master.

She felt exhausted and drained as she went through all her talks and sketches while she showed them each.

She just wanted to get it done.

When she finished, Jihyo looked at both of them.

“So, what do you think?”, she asked as she took a deep breath.

They were silent because there was a lot to take in after that long explanation.

But Tzuyu thought it was really impressive for Jihyo to come with the idea in such a short time. She didn’t expect her to have an idea like this when it had only been days when she told her that she didn’t know what to do at all for this project.

“It’s really impressive. I have no words. I’d love to keep it here in the gallery for the longest.”, Tzuyu said with awe as she looked at the copy of sketches Jihyo handed them.

Jihyo then looked at Sana.

“It’s really great.” Sana said as she smiled. There was a slight pause. She wanted to say more but Jihyo seemed hasty.

“Great!”, Jihyo exclaimed as walked towards them and handed out a piece of paper. “Here’s the commission contract and proof. There’s no list of the things I need since I’m willing to provide them myself. Just put in your signatures and we’re good to go.”

They read the terms, which isn’t much. The space for the piece is stated and declared to, of course, be in use. The duration of the display is said to be just two weeks, but it might be prolonged since Tzuyu said that she wanted it the longest in the gallery. The day after the piece is finished, it will be the opening, which is on Friday, January 31st.

It’s also stated there that her stay in Japan is only until February 1st. She has to return to Korea for her other projects. There had been so many cuts to her schedule since her stay was supposed to be only a month for the original project. She was supposed to leave after the opening of the original project, but since the revision came in, her stay was extended.

“The 31st? Are you sure you can do it in just a week? Why not make it longer?”, Tzuyu asked.

“I have to go back to Korea. I had clients who got upset since I wasn’t able to go back there as originally scheduled because of my extension here for this project. And because I gave them my word from the beginning, I have to make up for those.”, Jihyo said as she had her brows slightly furrowed, a little bit unsettled with knowing that it could damage her reputation and career. She could lose a lot of future opportunities if it continues.

When Mina told her that there were complaints of her “neglecting” her duties for her other clients, Jihyo didn’t bother minding them. She thought this opportunity that the Creative Productions had given her is much larger than everything, which really is. It’s bigger than any of her commissions combined because it holds the name of one of the largest production companies in Asia.

But Jihyo felt that it wasn’t much of an opportunity anymore. She felt that it was a deep drag on her.

“I’m sure I’ll finish it by that time. Or even earlier. It’s only one piece.”

“Right. You’re really amazing, Park Jihyo. As expected from a prodigy. I’m really looking forward to this one.”, Tzuyu signed the contract and made a handshake with Jihyo as she smiled with great anticipation. “Now I have to go. The board needs me at the center. I’ll see you after, Sana-chan.” Tzuyu excused herself and went out of the gallery.

Jihyo cleared and went to get her things. She stacked her sketches and put them inside her folder. She wanted to leave soon and get her mind settled with everything – everything with this project, everything with the investigation, and everything with herself. Her mind is scattered.

Jihyo saw that Sana is still looking at the commission contract.

“Ah, please sign it as well. So that everything is settled, and we can continue.”

Sana nodded as she signed and handed it to her.

They went out of the gallery together, without saying any word to each other as they walked to the park center.

It was snowing again but Jihyo didn’t feel the cold. She felt like she was numb enough to not feel it. What is a cold to a feeling of dejection anyway? She just wants to head back now and get herself settled.

It was already almost five in the afternoon and the park had started to close. The people had slowly dispersed. They went on their way to leave because it was already getting dark. And they didn’t want to wait for the snow on the roads get thicker.

They finally reached the bridge on the walled waterfalls by the park center. And Jihyo was about to turn to leave when Sana called her.

“Jihyo, I’m-“

“I have to go now. Thank you for listening. I really appreciate it.” Jihyo said with a firm tone as she looked at the contract as she pretended to see if everything is settled. “I hope you understood the terms correctly. Since you already signed and-“

“Why didn’t you tell me you had other projects?” Sana said as she looked at Jihyo, who just kept silent as she continued “reading” through the contract.

Jihyo wasn’t in the right mood to talk about any of this right now. She’s dried up and exhausted. She just really wants to get to her apartment and plan for this project and get everything over with.

She just sighed and said, “It’s a hassle if this suddenly gets discontinued and it would be bad for your company and my career.”, Jihyo said as she peered closer to the paper, avoiding any eye contact with Sana.

“Besides, just like what I said before, I’m all about business and nothing else.”

Sana flinched at what Jihyo said, making her think that the little time they had together were all just a form of business and formalities.

“Jihyo, I know you’re tensed right now. But you know we could schedule this some other time.” Sana softened her voice as she looked at Jihyo with concern. She moved closer and was about to put her hand on Jihyo’s arm.

Jihyo tensed and lightly pulled her arm away while she stood and blankly stared at the paper.

“There is no other time.”, Jihyo said with an abrupt tone, not meaning to slightly raise her voice. But she held her ground as she tried not to falter with her own words. She put the papers down and She looked at Sana with dull eyes as her brows faintly creased. “I’m leaving soon so I’m finishing this. There’s nothing we can do. It’s do or don’t, okay?”

Sana didn’t understand why Jihyo was being so stern. She felt a hint of anger and distress in Jihyo’s voice when she talked, she can see the tiredness in her eyes when Jihyo looks at her. It was just last night when she thought she had felt closer to Jihyo. But now, she felt so distant like it’s not Jihyo she’s talking to.

Jihyo folded the contract and put it back inside the folder.

“Seems like everything is settled then”, she sighed as she looked at Sana with an expressionless face. She reached out her hand for a handshake and said, “It’s good to have you in business, Ms. Minatozaki.”

Sana couldn’t believe and understand what she’s seeing right now.

“What’s going on with you?”, Sana looked at Jihyo with her brows creased and tensed, her eyes showing its pitiful confusion at how Jihyo was being so frustratingly cold and stubborn. She couldn’t take more of this senseless feat Jihyo had been putting up.

Jihyo put her hand back down and scoffed at how Sana was so clueless. “I don’t know what you’re talking about. If you don’t mind I’ll-“

“Is it because of the project? Or is it because you feel uncomfortable with Chou-san? I’ll discontinue this if that’s what you want.”, Sana said as her voice softened as it resounded with frustration. “But please stop being like this, Jihyo.”

For god’s sake, can you please stop calling me that?”, Jihyo blurted as she looked at Sana with dense stare.

She itched when she suddenly remembered what Sana told her last night. “We’re not close like that, right?” She paused as her face fumed. She wasn’t able to control it anymore. “You know what I think? It seems to me that you’re the one who doesn’t want me for this project at all. From the very beginning, you didn’t want my work, you hated it, so what more now? Why didn’t you have ­Chou-san do this from the very start instead of me? After all, she’s the all-star prodigy, not me. And besides, you two are very, very close.”

Jihyo lost a hold of her breath. It felt like fire was coming out of with every word she spat. She felt the anger and jealousy flow through her body, like it was eating her and slowly taking over her consciousness.

But she faltered when Sana didn’t say anything and just stood silent.

Jihyo was shocked when she realized what she just said. She didn’t mean to say it. She didn’t know if she actually meant every word or was it just her uncontrollable contained emotions speaking for her.

She shuddered when she saw Sana’s lips tremble and curve downwards.

She felt her heart stop when she saw tears welled in Sana’s eyes.

She felt her whole world crumble when Sana just stood and silently sobbed in front of her, not saying a word.

Sana looked at Jihyo with her eyes continuously pouring out streaks of tears. She gasped between her sobs and said, “Because you promised, Jihyo.

And that was it.

Jihyo couldn’t bare it. It hurts so much for her to see Sana like this. It tears her soul apart to hear Sana’s cry and she had caused it.

How could she do this to her? To someone who has the purest soul of all? How could she do this to someone who doesn’t deserve any kind of pain?

Jihyo pulled Sana’s coat and embraced her.

She gently pulled Sana’s head to her shoulder and placed her arm on her back and pulled her to a tighter embrace.

As her head rested on Jihyo’s shoulder, Sana’s sobs and gasps got louder and more tears came rushing out of her eyes. Jihyo felt her shoulder dampen as the continuous running of Sana’s tears quickly seep through her coat.

Jihyo leaned her cheek on Sana’s head as she continued to her hair. While she tried to keep a straight face, Jihyo felt there were tears coming out of her eyes as well. They slowly rolled down and damped Sana’s hair while she tried her best to hold the rest of her tears back.

“I’m sorry, Sana.”, Jihyo whispered as her lips trembled and her eyes softened.

She said to herself that she would always keep Sana warm. She said to herself that she doesn’t want to see Sana cry again. She said to herself that she would do whatever it takes to make Sana smile.

I’m sorry for making you feel this way.

I’m sorry for wanting you to choose me.

She gently pulled closer and tighter. “I’m really sorry.”, she sobbed as her tears break free from her eyes. “I didn’t mean to say those things. I don’t know what came to me. I was held back for too long and I didn’t realize it. I didn’t realize I had been piling up. I’m sorry, Sana. I don’t ever want to make you cry. I don’t ever want to hurt you.” She continued to sob.

Sana pushed her gently and pulled away. She bit her lip and looked down on the floor, her eyes and cheeks still damp with tears.

Jihyo felt the guilt gobble more and more of her heart away. She felt the intensity of the pain that botched through her body. It was as if seeing Sana this way is beyond fatal to her soul. She didn’t look at Sana as she might not bare to see what she had done. She thought that Sana must be hating her right now. She just casted her eyes down and said, “I understand if you don’t want to continue this.”

But Sana would never hate anyone because she knows no one in the world deserves that kind of feeling. She knows what Jihyo might be thinking right now.

She looked back at Jihyo and saw her eyes were damped by the flow of tears yet dried by the snow falling on her face. She reached for Jihyo’s face and cautiously wiped the traces of tears away. She looked into the depths of her eyes and saw how much Jihyo is hurting right now. In its hollowness, she saw the feeling of loss, discontent, sadness, and jealousy.

But there’s one more that lies under.

Back when they were in the elevator, Jihyo looked at her with the feeling of crave and desire which she thought was abrupt and crude. But she was partly wrong for she didn’t look deep enough. Other than that, there was something else. Under everything, there was something more intimate and sincere.

Then Sana finally understood what Jihyo’s eyes had been telling her.

She gently motioned Jihyo to look at her and whispered, “I’m sorry too. For putting you into this. But you need to understand what you really feel. Then we can settle this, okay?” She smiled softly and kissed Jihyo on the forehead. “You don’t deserve to be hurt, Jihyo.”

Jihyo understood it. She thought how kind Sana can be at everything and everyone. Jihyo knew that Sana had seen through her. And yet, she showed her kindness and sincerity.

So, this is how it feels…

At that moment, Jihyo realized how much she had fallen for Sana.

 

 

Just as Nayeon had thought, the splotch on the paper is the blood of the man they found by the river. But none of the prints they found on the package matched the one they found on the suspect’s gun.

Until now, they didn’t know who it could be. It’s just their high speculation that it’s the production company’s head since no one else could have done it.

“Damn it.”, Nayeon cursed and threw their findings on her desk. Dahyun and Momo just stood behind her as they thought of what they could do.

Dahyun walked to Nayeon and leaned on her desk. “Nayeon-ssi, we have enough evidence here to at least investigate the company. We could file a warrant right now.”

Momo nodded in agreement. “Yeah. That’s true. Since Park Jihyo can’t remember a single thing, we could just straight up ask the production head.”

Nayeon scoffed and raised her brows at Momo. “That would be stupid. If he really was the one who killed old Minatozaki, once we set foot in there and he sees that we’re a bunch of investigators, a lot of people will be in danger.” Nayeon sighed and paused. “Just to let you know, Minatozaki Sana doesn’t know we’re doing this case.”

Momo and Dahyun turned their heads and looked at Nayeon with disbelief.

“What?! Isn’t she the first person who should know about it?”, Dahyun said, almost shouting with her eyes wide, as she couldn’t believe that the daughter and only child of the victim doesn’t know a single thing about it. “She doesn’t even know that she could be at risk in the middle of this.”

“Why though? All of us here are aware that she deserves to know, Nayeon-ssi. Even Park Jihyo has the right to know about all of this.”, Momo firmly looked at Nayeon.

Nayeon shook her head.

“No, no, no.”, Nayeon stood up and faced them both. “You should understand that the less they know, the less danger they’ll be in. Think of what that man had done to several people. He has already killed people. What more could he do to them?” She looked at both of them with a commanding glare.

She looked at the paper again.

“Be Careful.”

She saw how each letter showed threat and how it spelled out danger. With the splotch of blood as a warning to Jihyo, it could only mean one thing. “Once they both step inside this mess, they’re both considered dead.”

Dahyun and Momo were silenced as they repulsed at the thought.

Nayeon sighed and opened her drawer. She pulled out one of her old notebooks to review some information she got even before the official investigation started. “That old Minatozaki is obviously rich, and of course there was a large number of people who wouldn’t refuse him. For money, that is. So, he is known to have many women at his side. He went to clubs, parties, “cons”, and everything; just to settle his satisfaction. But he stopped when he had a long term relationship with someone. He even announced to the public that he is seeing the woman. And that woman is the mother of Minatozaki Sana. They were about to get married after seeing each other for over a year. Unfortunately, just months before their marriage, she died because of giving birth. And of course, old Minatozaki had to take the responsibility since he can’t just deny the existence of his only child.”

“Well, that’s sad.”, Dahyun exclaimed as she let out a soft sigh.

“What about Sana? How is her relationship with him as a child?”, Momo asked.

“That’s why it’s useless to ask Minatozaki Sana about him. She never had any close ties with him. She doesn’t know anything about him just as he doesn’t know anything about her. Of course, he provided everything she needed. But that’s that. No personal encounters. No father-daughter bonding. No nothing.”

“Well, that’s just gotten sadder.”, Dahyun let out a heavier sigh.

“Then, we have to think of something else.”, Momo said as she walked over and looked through their findings.

Nayeon crossed her arms and looked at the paper once again. She thought of what they could do to at least have anything from the head.

But it seems like they have no choice.

Nayeon sighed.

“You two are right. I think it’s best if we let Park Jihyo know about this.” She looked at them with seriousness as they both exhaled in relief and at the same time in terror. “But before that, let’s settle and sort everything we have so far. We’ll make our official reports about this and then on Monday, we’ll get to Jihyo.”

Momo and Dahyun nodded as they quickly collected their things and left to start working.

Nayeon will have to convince Jihyo to not say a word to Minatozaki Sana. It would very crucial if both of them knew about it because it will have them both be targets. Nayeon is fully aware that it would be very risky to have Jihyo know everything. And if the culprits knew that Jihyo is involved with the investigation, they will not be sending threats anymore. Instead, they will eliminate whatever and whoever it is who tries to go against their malicious intents. In other words, Jihyo’s life is at risk. So Nayeon has to make sure that everything will be as discrete as possible.

 

 

It’s already night and Jihyo is driving under the light snowfall. She peered at the road to hopefully see better. Because of the snow fog, she couldn’t see the road well, but the headlights are at least helping. There weren’t many vehicles on the other side of the road so there’s no risk. She’s thankful that the road back to the city doesn’t have any sharp curves because at this rate, it would be very hard to see them.

As she drove, the streetlights were constantly reflecting lights on the marble that Sana gave her. She had it put inside a glass case and placed it on the car’s dashboard. The gold faintly illuminated lights and casted shadows in her car.

She thought how the marble doesn’t only convey how a broken thing can be mended with something new and precious. She thought how the marble could represent a lot.

The gold paved along its cracks serves as boundaries between the blacks. There will always be something that separates pessimism from hope, jealousy from praise, hatred from love - creating clarity with which is which. The boundaries serve as a limit to be aware of what to feel and what not to feel, to stray from hurting oneself and others. But ironically, the gold holds each piece together. Most would think, why not keep them separated? Why not let each stand alone to avoid the cost of a precious thing to come in between?

Because that’s what people who have no will would do. No will to risk. No will to sacrifice. No will to do. And a person who has no will gets lost and ends up miserable.

The gold paved along the cracks shows how one can be human, withholding the compressed emotions that make us so.

I’m glad I’m human. Jihyo chuckled as she thought how much she feels right now.

Before Jihyo left the Art Park, she made sure to see Sana safe and left with Chou Tzuyu.

Despite what happened, the project will, of course, continue. Sana told her that it would be a waste if they have already gotten that far. Then Jihyo told her that she will finish it on time before she heads back to Korea. Again, she promised that she will.

Despite what happened, Sana was still so kind to say cautious words to Jihyo, not letting out anything that would hurt her more. Sana saw through her so she understood how Jihyo must have been hurting all this time. Even without saying any word about it, they both understood where each of them stood. Without saying any word, they understood how each other felt.

But Jihyo didn’t feel pity for herself anymore. She felt relieved that her feelings were acknowledged in a mannered way. She didn’t feel resentment because why would she? She told herself that she would do whatever it takes to make Sana smile and happy. She already made her cry and that will be the last time.

Despite what happened, Jihyo clearly knows how much she would give up just to make Sana happy. Even if it hurts.

Jihyo chuckled at the thought that she still has the guts to do these after getting hurt. In fact, Jihyo is still hurting.

Because she loves her.

Then the fog had gotten worse. It was now much harder to see. Jihyo peered much closer to see better.

But then, Jihyo realized the fog and snowfall had actually lessened. It was her tears that made her vision blurry. She just let her tears run down, not minding her shirt getting wet. She tried to keep a straight face as her lips trembled with the thought that she would soon leave.

She would soon leave Sana. As soon as she leaves, she won’t be able to see her anymore. As soon as she leaves, she won’t be able to see that smile anymore.

As soon as she leaves, all the time they had together will be memories.

Jihyo thought how cruel how love can be so devastating and brilliant at the same time. It brings out the worst and best sides of a human. Outwitting one’s thoughts as emotions overcome one’s sensibility and practicality. Yet pushing one’s limit to commit and show how much one can do for the other, no matter what it takes.

She let out a heavy sigh as she wiped her tears. She thought of drinking again but threw the idea away since it’s really going to be dreadful for her. She only drank twice in her whole life and those were very unpleasant experiences for her.

So, she just focused on driving and head straight to the complex.

At eight in the evening, she finally arrived at the parking lot, Jihyo turned off the engine and decided to stay inside the car for a while. She took deep breaths as she tried to cease the tears flowing from her eyes. She took some tissue napkins from the glove compartment and wiped her face with it.

Why does it have to be this difficult?

It had only been a while since Jihyo met Sana, but her feelings got really close to her in a short time. It was like her feelings had been there for a long while and then were cultivated once again.

She laid back on the seat when her tears finally stopped. She felt her eyes were being dragged down as she felt tired from driving and crying at the same time. It had been a really long day for her, and she just wants to rest now. She looked at the marble once again and admired its golden traces, as it reflected its color on the walls of her car. Her eyes slowly followed the cracks paved with its molten gold. She looked at it for a few moments and then finally, she had fallen asleep.

 

 

“What the hell?!”, the head banged his fist on the desk as he furiously stood up. He looked at the two men in front of him with disdain. While the other three stood behind them and shuddered when the head shouted. “I thought they didn’t know where Park Jihyo is. Now, you’re telling me that detective is already in contact with her?!”

“We’re sorry. We didn’t do our job right.”, the other one bowed as he quivered.

“You should be.”, the head looked down on him as he walked closer and leaned. “I told you clearly to send her away from this place, not give her a bunch of stupid papers! Now look! The agency might have gotten prints now.” He slapped the man in the ear as he scoffed. “Pathetic.”

“You.”, he pointed at the other man and glared at him. “Get some people we can count on. And get this over with. I can’t have the agency build pikes on my back anymore. I escaped it before and now I will again.”

“Right away.”, the other man bowed and left.

“If they find out, all of you imbeciles will pay with your lives.” He looked at the other three people in the room. “That Park Jihyo can’t have them know. Especially that Minatozaki Sana.”

“Why not get Minatozaki instead? Then you’ll have the company for yourself.”, the man in front of him said.

The head slapped him again in the ear and shouted, “Do you think I’m that stupid?! Once she’s gone and I get there, they’ll put the blame on me because I’m obviously next in line.” He walked back behind the desk. “It’s not the right time yet. Besides, I have these for now.”, he said as he pulled the transaction papers from his drawer. Thanks to that idiot, he got it now in his hands. Sadly, that man got involved with the police and now he’s dead.

“If only that old Minatozaki named the company to me, then it wouldn’t have been too hard for him. None of this would have happened. We were reaching the top of all production companies out there. We trampled the other companies down here in Sapporo. We were winning over everything.” His eyes gleamed at the thought how amazing their achievements were as partners back then. It didn’t matter if what they did involve wickedness. All that mattered to them was to get their company be the only one left and standing.

Then his expression changed to dread.

“Until he went soft with that woman. Then the company started losing its grip.”, he grunted as he remembered the company’s catastrophe back then. “So, I had to do it. I had to remove the company from his weak hands. So, I sent him to his grave. I thought I’d have the company to myself, but he wrote on his will to have his only child inherit it.” He gritted his teeth at the thought. “It was goddamn unfair. I had a percentage of the company on my name, but he simply gave it away just like that.” He slammed his fist on his desk.

“Imagine tons and tons and tons of money on the hands of someone who gives it away freely.”, he scoffed. “Charities? How stupid.”

Anger filled his veins. All he wanted was to get more and more, not satisfied with what he already had.

He sighed and said as his eyes looked swallowed in depth, “I even had to leave my family for it.”

The other people in the room looked shocked for they didn’t know that the head had a family.

The head gave them a furious look. “So, if anyone of you mess this up, I’ll end you one by one.” He said as he pointed to each of them.

He looked at the man standing in front of his desk and said, “Starting with you.” He pulled out the gun from his drawer and pointed at the man’s head.

“Wait-!”

Click.

There was no shot fired, the barrel was empty. The head just laughed at how the man looked so weary and petrified in front of him.

“That serves as a warning for your stupidity. Next time, I’ll have this loaded, and I won’t hesitate to blow your head off. Now get out and do your job right.”

 

 

“Ji-tan!”

She turned around and saw someone waving at her.

Who’s that?

“Promise me, Ji-tan!”

Who…?

Jihyo slowly opened her eyes and realized she’s still in her car. She checked the time and it’s already almost midnight. Her eyes still felt heavy and swollen. She felt a bit cold since she stayed inside the car for too long. She looked outside and saw it wasn’t snowing. It was just really cold.

She sighed as she put her coat on and went out of the car.

When she entered the complex, the receptionist greeted her. “Good evening, Ms. Park. It’s quite late. Was it a long day for you?”, she said as she noticed Jihyo’s slow movements and the dark circles under her swollen eyes.

Jihyo looked at her as she tried to smile. “Yeah. It really was a long day.”, she sighed. “Have a good night.”

When Jihyo arrived in her apartment, she removed her shoes and her coat. She went straight to her bed and let herself drop as she shut her eyes, not minding the lights still on. After just a few long breaths, the heaviness in her eyes and body had finally carried her to sleep.

“Ji-tan.”