CHAPTER 4

The Artist of Sapporo (TWICE SaHyo AU)

Nayeon is at the intelligence agency drinking her coffee to at least keep her sane and alive. She had papers and files scattered in front of her. She read them all night long and constantly tried to go back to each to at least get something. She didn’t get to sleep as she tried to make connections out of every event that has occurred over the past weeks. And over the past years. It was already morning and she still hasn’t made any progress, but she did know at least a little more.

Nayeon groaned as she felt her temples throb trying to make sense out of everything.

“Nayeon-ssi, you should take a break. Look at you. I’m like looking at a dead guy right now.” Dahyun was concerned because she didn’t see Nayeon sleep at all for the whole night. She felt a bit guilty for leaving Nayeon so she could sleep in the lounge. Dahyun loves sleeping after all.

“You should be used to seeing dead bodies now.”, Nayeon laughed at her.

“Hey, new guys.”, Momo called to them. She had ice pops on her hand and offered some to the two but Nayeon refused so Dahyun got another one.

“Oy, we’re not new, you know. I am still your senior; just from a foreign agency.”, Nayeon said as she continued to rub her temples.

“Who knew a Korean and Japanese agency would work together on a case.”, Dahyun smiled as she pats Momo on the back.

Nayeon scoffed. “Because there are people involved from both countries, Dahyun.”

“Whatever, grandma.”, Momo snorted as she eats the ice pop. “Anyway, I still didn’t get anything from the paper we got from the river. Looks like everything was washed out because it was soaked too long in the water. We can’t see a single thing. But we have this machine that could help us look through it. It will take a while, though.”

Dahyun was amazed how Japan could have such amazing machines. “Japan intelligence agencies are really incredible.”

“Don’t you guys have those in your agencies?”, Momo asked.

“We do. It’s just that I keep on seeing a lot of interesting inventions from Japan. It's like I’m seeing a new one every day.”, she said with enthusiasm as she her ice pop. “Just like this ice pop. It tastes good.”

Momo smiled at her and said, “Made in Japan.” They both laughed as they patted each other’s backs.

Nayeon just stared at them with disbelief how these two survived to be junior detectives. Considering their child-like behaviors, it was really a bit questionable. But other than that, they do good work.

“So, the dead dude from yesterday was last seen outside that company which means we can have a warrant to investigate and see what’s inside. Hirai-san, what did you tell the reporters yesterday?”, Nayeon asked.

Momo, whose tears were still hanging for laughing too hard, stopped and made a serious look as she looked at Nayeon. “I just said that we still weren’t sure about everything just to keep them at bay. It’s really hard when media stick around. Not that I’m against them asking questions or anything but it’s a little… annoying. You know what I’m talking about.”

Nayeon sighed, “I get what you mean. Sometimes, it’s a little better for the world to know little or nothing.”

They went silent for a while.

“Anyway, what are we going to do about Park Jihyo?”, Dahyun asked, finishing her last ice pop.

“Ah!” Suddenly, Nayeon felt alive upon hearing the name. “Speaking of Park Jihyo, I now know a little more about her. Aside from our interrogation with her in the past months before she went here, I got new info.”

Momo scoffed. “Really? Well, that’s a new one. You said the agency didn’t give you a single information about everything.

“It would’ve been a lot easier if they had the other files. But then poof. Gone.”, Dahyun added.

“They dumped the case so of course they wouldn’t have anything important or even of value. Even before, they didn’t even have that much at all. Now that it’s reopened and we’re the ones working on it... tada!” She held up her notebook that has an illustration of a bunny on its cover. It’s the little notebook where Nayeon keeps her notes about investigations.

Momo and Dahyun just snickered and gave her a mocking look.

“Anyway...”, she said as she flipped through her tiny notebook. “According to these files right here and our previous interrogations with Park Jihyo: Fifteen years ago, she and her mother lived here in Japan for a year. She got involved in the car accident that killed her mother. And so, Park Jihyo had a traumatic brain injury which led to her dream-reality confusion. It says here that through the months after the incident, she had difficulties in distinguishing reality from dreams. But she eventually recovered from it. It also says here, that due to the trauma, she had forgotten everything that happened in all the past thirteen months before the incident.”, Nayeon finished as she closed her notebook.

“Oh, so that’s why she never answered any questions about the accident.”, Dahyun nodded as she realized.

“Wait, so your point being?”, Momo asked.

“To cut it short, she clearly doesn’t remember our potential evidences against him. She even told me she doesn’t remember any of her experiences here in Japan.”

Dahyun let out a heavy sigh. “That’s really a pity, don’t you think? To not remember anything.”

“Wait, have you asked anything about the father, though?”, Momo realized that there was no mention about Jihyo’s father.

“No. She told me her parents were divorced years before the incident and Jihyo chose to stay with her mother. So, in other words, there’s nothing to worry about the man.”

“I don’t get any of it. How does this have anything to do with Park Jihyo?”, Momo looked confused.

Nayeon sighed at her. “Basically, she is a witness. Jihyo was there with her mother in that car that collided with the suspect’s. And in the suspect’s car, they found the same prints that matched with the ones they found on the gun that killed old Minatozaki. And we still don’t know whose prints they belong to.”

Both Momo nodded as she made sense with everything now. While Dahyun just kept on nodding with what Nayeon was saying.

“Wait, Last question.”, Momo added and Nayeon just gave her a skeptical look. “Does she know this is about old Minatozaki-sama’s case?”

“No. It would be too critical if she knew that much. So, we just keep it in between her mother’s incident and let her focus on remembering the suspect’s face or at least anything about the accident.”

 

 

After numerous scribbles and sketches, Jihyo still hasn’t come up with any ideas for the project. She looked at the time on her watch and it was a few minutes before eleven. She only has a few hours left before she meets up with Sana at the Art Park and she has nothing to present, not even a brief idea.

A way to start a Wednesday.

She put down her pencil and slumped on her chair. She scratched her head at the frustration.

This is hopeless.

She crumpled another paper and tossed it in the trash and stood up to stretch after hours of sitting.

She looked outside her window and saw the sun was covered up with clouds and the snowfall wasn’t that heavy compared to yesterday when she went home. She noticed the snow has replaced the leaves on the trees as they had started to shed.

January is ending and winter had barely started.

Jihyo woke up an hour before the time she usually wakes up. So, she just took the time to brainstorm ideas but unfortunately didn’t bring out any.

She was awakened by the same dream she gets from time to time. It is the memory of her and her mother when she was painting the view from her window. Sometimes, she even doubts if it was a memory or just another dream. But to Jihyo, it didn’t matter because it’s a beautiful way to remember her mother.

There were times when she wakes up and felt there were dried tears on her face. But when she does, she doesn’t feel any remorse or sadness. Jihyo didn’t cry when she was told that her mother was long gone after she woke up in the hospital. She didn’t cry when they held her funeral. They told her about what happened and asked her many questions about it. But Jihyo just sat there silent. Because she didn’t witness the death of her mother. To her, it seems like her mother’s passing didn’t happen. To her, she still feels her presence. Although she knows she is gone.

She doesn’t remember anything about the incident and the previous months before that. Although she gets glimpses of it in her dreams, sometimes she even doubts if they were real.

I miss you, omma.

She pulled out her phone and saw she had text messages and missed calls from Mina. Jihyo always puts her phone on silent when she works because she never wants to be distracted from whatever it is she is doing.

She read Mina’s messages telling her to call her back as soon as she can. She said it was urgent.

Mina messaged her to meet her at the bar any time before noon. Jihyo thought of all places, why at the bar? It doesn’t open until one in the afternoon.

She laughed at the thought Mina is the one who had it bad now as she seemed like she was eager to drink her way through it. Mina is a friend of Jeongyeon’s after all. So, it would be reasonable if she handed Mina some drinks before opening. But Jihyo won’t drink anymore because she needs to meet Sana after that and she doesn’t want to cause any more unnecessary incidents.

 

When Jihyo entered the bar, she saw Mina and Jeongyeon were quite close to each other while they were sitting by the front bar. She looked away when Jeongyeon was about to “cuddle” with Mina. But then Mina saw her by the door, so she stood up and left Jeongyeon who turned around and saw Jihyo and gave her a bit of a pestering look.

“Ms. Park! Finally.”, Mina approached her and pulled her lightly to the front bar.

“Ms. Myoui, what’s this about? I thought you’re having drinks.”, Jihyo chuckled as she sat and put her coat on the seat.

“No, it’s too early for a drink, Ms. Park.”

“Too early? Wasn’t it two days ago when you came here before the opening?”, Jeongyeon batted at Mina while laughing and Mina just hit her shoulder.

“Anyway, Ms. Park. It’s not only me who has concerns about this. Jeongyeon has some too.”

Jihyo looked at the two and then she slowly grinned and realized what this was about. With what Jeongyeon told her about their relationship, she thought it must be about that.

“I see what’s going on here. I don’t really know much about these kinds of things. But all I can say is that I am encouraging both of you to continue working on your relationship.”, she smiled proudly at them.

“Wait. You told her about it?”, Mina eyed Jeongyeon with a scolding look.

“What? Do I have not the right to tell anyone about it?”, Jeongyeon said as she pouted. Mina just sighed at how Jeongyeon could be so talkative about almost everything.

“Never mind. Anyway, this isn’t about that, Ms. Park.”

“Then what is this about?”

Jeongyeon sat in front of them behind the front bar. She leaned closer to them and looked at Jihyo with seriousness and said, “There are people looking for you.”

Then Mina gave a concerned look at Jihyo, “It’s true. Jeongyeon told me there were two people the other day who came here at the bar and they were asking if Jeongyeon knows you. And other than that, when I came to pick you up from Minatozaki-sama’s, I think there were two women, who I believe are the same people, also following you.”

Jeongyeon looked back at Jihyo and added, “And these people came to the bar the night before and started brawling with a guy, so I had to put it to a stop. So, I thought they might be dangerous when they came back looking for you and then I had to tell Mina about it.”

They were expecting a concerned look from Jihyo because everything seems to be suspicious and dangerous from all that happened.

However, Jeongyeon and Mina were surprised that Jihyo didn’t even budge about it. She just stared at them with a straight face and sighed.

“What did they look like?”, Jihyo asked.

“Well, there was this woman who had brown hair and she looked like a bunny and she talked like she was the boss of everything. And the other one was smaller and compared to the mean one, she was nice enough to smile quite a lot and she had this wide smile. They gave some money for the damage, though. So, I guess it wasn’t too bad.”, Jeongyeon said.

Mina hit her shoulder again. “What do you mean wasn’t too bad? People are going after Ms. Park here!” Mina looked at Jeongyeon with disbelief and Jeongyeon put her head down and just smiled at her apologetically.

Jihyo just stood up and faced them. “Thank you for your concern but please don’t think about it. I’ll handle it.”

Jeongyeon and Mina made a confused look and thought how Jihyo can be so unbothered by all this.

“They might be some weird stalkers or much worse, killers.”, Jeongyeon said with seriousness.

Mina hit her again. “Don’t say that!” Mina scolded her. “We don’t even know anything about it. Everything just seems too dangerous.”

Jihyo just smiled at them and thought how these two are so concerned about her.

Jeongyeon, again, gave her a confused look. “How come you seem to not be bothered by this?”

Jihyo sighed. “I assure you everything is alright because I know those people. Don’t think about this too much. Or much better if you don’t think about it at all.” Jihyo smiled at them.

Jeongyeon wondered how is it that Jihyo knows those two women. But she didn’t bother asking as it might be something anyone shouldn’t meddle with.

“Is it something serious, though?”

There was a short pause before Jihyo answered.

“It’s something personal.”

The tension in Jeongyeon and Mina lowered when they felt Jihyo’s voice resounded with a hint of sadness. They knew that they do not have the right to interfere with whatever it was. Just hearing Jihyo say that it’s personal felt like it was kept silent for a reason.

Jihyo noticed the two went quiet with what she said. “Ah, but please don’t be bothered by it. It’s not something to be worried about.”

Jihyo checked her watch and saw she has only an hour left before her meet-up with Sana.

“Now I need to go because I have to see Ms. Minatozaki. I really appreciate your concerns. Thank you very much.”, Jihyo took her coat from her seat and waved at them as she walked out of the bar.

“I hope it’s not something too serious.” Mina said with a soft voice.

“Yeah I hope so too. Well, she told us not to worry about so I guess it’s fine.” Jeongyeon said as she pulled a can of Sapporo Beer under the bar and opened it.

“Yoo Jeongyeon, don’t even think about it.”, Mina eyed her dead serious as Jeongyeon was about to drink.

Jeongyeon, afraid of another scolding, slowly put the can down and politely smiled at Mina.

“Just a sip?”, Jeongyeon pouted with her eyes pleading as it glinted.

Mina, who was used to this cute act of Jeongyeon’s, have fallen too many times for it. So, she looked at Jeongyeon and smiled.

“No.”

Jeongyeon finds it cute when Mina acts like this. So, she leaned and put her hands on Mina’s cheeks and squeezed it.

“Mina-chan. You’re so cute.”

Mina blushed when she saw Jeongyeon smiled wider. She also put her hands on Jeongyeon’s cheeks and squeezed it.

“Jeongie-chan. You’re such a flirt.”, she said as she leaned closer, about to kiss Jeongyeon on the nose.

“Woah woah what’s happening here?”, Chaeyoung laughed as she came out from the back room.

The two suddenly pulled away from each other, embarrassed.

“Oy, Chaeyoung-ah. Your shift is still hours away. Why are you here again?”, Jeongyeon said, irritated.

“Just checking to see how my hyung is and I see hyung is having a good time.”, Chaeyoung teased and laughed at them.

 

 

Months before Jihyo arrived in Japan, two detectives, who happened to be Im Nayeon and Kim Dahyun, came to their house in Korea. They asked about her mother and the incident that caused her death. Jihyo answered all she could about their relationship as mother and child. But she didn’t answer questions regarding the incident and the events prior to it since she couldn’t recall anything. She thought that if she answered everything she could, she’d have the interrogation over soon. However, the day after the next, week after week, they came back and tried to ask her the same questions but Jihyo would always say she doesn’t know, she doesn’t remember.

And so, they eventually stopped coming because they were just going around in circles.

Jihyo thought it was peculiar because the case about the incident was closed years before. In fact, it was closed just months after it happened. But then months before she went to Japan, it was again re-opened.

And here they are in Sapporo looking for her, probably for more interrogation.

Jihyo put a stop on her thoughts when she arrived at the Art Park.

She parked at the same spot near the museum. She saw there were other cars parked as well so she thought there must be a number of people around the park.

She looked outside her car window and saw it was a bit sunny. It wasn’t snowing but the grounds are covered with it. The leaves on the trees are slowly being shed away as snow and ice take over their place.

Jihyo took a deep breath and went out of the car. It wasn’t too cold, although it was cold enough to make her put her coat on.

She walked to the museum entrance and noticed the large pond by the museum has started to freeze. She saw the fishes swim under the thin layer of ice as the ducks walked on top of it.

She shivered lightly when the breeze swept past her, so she walked faster to the museum.

Sana told Jihyo to meet her at the Sculpture Garden so they can start their little tour around. She told Jihyo to tell one of the park staff that she is a guest of Chou Tzuyu and ask to give her a cart ride to the entrance.

When Jihyo was about to tell the staff at the receiving area, Chou Tzuyu saw her.

“Ms. Park.”, Tzuyu waved at her.

Jihyo looked to her direction and smiled. Quite forcefully. Jihyo didn’t have the right mood for Chou Tzuyu or perhaps Jihyo just had quite a bad start with her. Knowing that Tzuyu is this year’s 21st century prodigy, Jihyo cannot ignore the fact that the award should have been hers if it weren’t for the first project’s discontinuity.

But past is past.

She just smiled to herself when she remembered what Sana told her that she would’ve been the 21st century prodigy awardee instead.

“Ms. Chou, I am not expecting to see you around here.”, Jihyo said, not trying to sound rude or sarcastic.

“I am the curator, so I need to see things are going well.”, Tzuyu said as she smiled at her. “Anyway, where are you going? I could take you there.”, she said politely.

Jihyo felt quite at fault and a little guilty when she noticed that Tzuyu is being nice to her. It was just Jihyo who had the different feel.

“Ms. Minatozaki told me to meet her at the garden.”

“Ah, so you’re starting the project already. How about we walk there so we can talk and know a little bit more about each other?”

Jihyo nodded as they walked out of the museum.

“So, have you thought of what you’ll make for the project?”, Tzuyu asked.

“Not yet. I still need to talk to Ms. Minatozaki about it more in detail. I tried coming up with ideas though. A lot of times. But nothing came out.”, Jihyo sighed.

Tzuyu giggled at the thought how all artists start with the void of collecting ideas, going around in loops and deciding which should be chosen and which should be avoided. “That’s always the hard part, isn’t it? You always think of what the audience would want while thinking of what you want.”

Then Jihyo remembered what Sana told her. That one criticism she has ever had in her life as an artist.

“But it isn’t always about you nor the audience. Sometimes, it’s just about the piece itself.”

“What do you mean?”

“I’ve been told that it’s about the meaning of the piece. What it tells you and the audience. What do you want to bring out of it? How would you tell it through that piece?”

Tzuyu smiled when she heard how familiar those words were.

“I see Sana-chan has made a mark on you, Ms. Park.”

Jihyo just smiled to cover the light blush on her cheeks.

It was silent for a while but then Tzuyu asked Jihyo a very straightforward question.

“Ms. Park, do you have any interests in Minatozaki-san?”

Jihyo flinched upon hearing the question. Jihyo knew the obvious answer to the question. But why, of all questions, would Chou Tzuyu ask this?

“No, I don’t.”, Jihyo laughed at how silly it was. “We only met a week ago.”

“Hmm. I see. I had to make sure.”, Tzuyu nodded and smiled.

Jihyo noticed the tension from Tzuyu’s shoulder brushed away as she let out a soft and relieved sigh.

“You see, I have always admired her to the point that I would consider my feelings for her are now in depth. Before I left for Taiwan to further my career, Sana-chan and I had… something, but it didn’t last since I was away. I promised myself that when I see her again, I’ll tell her how I feel and start again. And since she’s here and I’m here, I think it’s the right time. Don’t you think?”

Jihyo expected that Tzuyu had feelings for Sana because it showed how Tzuyu was so happy when she saw Sana after two years. Jihyo admired how Chou Tzuyu really is a straightforward person. She is the kind who wouldn’t hesitate to tell anyone how she feels about anything. Whether it’s good or bad, whether it would hurt or comfort, she would still tell through every detail.

She realized how different she is from Tzuyu.

“I think so too.”, Jihyo said as her voice softened. “When do you plan on telling her?”

“On Saturday, during the Snow Light Festival here at the park.”, she smiled brightly with a bit of shyness.

“What do you think she’ll say?”, Jihyo asked.

Tzuyu smiled at her. Before she could answer, the park staff by the cart greeted her as they reached the garden’s entrance.

“Good afternoon, Ms. Chou. The board is waiting for you at the art hall.”

“Well, Ms. Park. It was nice to see you again. I hope you come up with a great idea.”, Tzuyu said as she turned to leave.

“Thank you, Ms. Chou. You’re not going with us today?”, Jihyo asked.

“I have to attend another meeting. And Ms. Park. Please don’t tell anyone about our little secret.”, Tzuyu smiled as she got on the cart with the staff and left.

 

 

Jihyo walked inside the garden. She saw a number people taking photos with the different sculptures. Some by pairs, some by groups. Some were building little snowmen, while some were running around and threw snowballs at each other.

She noticed there was another person, by the walled waterfall, watching the people spend their time happily with other people they love.

Underneath the plaid scarf, Minatozaki Sana was smiling as she watched others laugh and have a good time.

For a second, Jihyo felt her heart beat out of rhythm as she looked at Sana whose eyes glinted with the snow on the ground as she let out a soft smile at the sight of other people. The white of the snow radiated and complemented with Sana’s radiance, showing her unparalleled glow.

Jihyo can only think of one word to describe it.

Beautiful.

Sana looked to her direction and smiled wider as she saw Jihyo walked towards her.

“I thought you forgot about our sightseeing.”, Sana giggled as she removed her scarf and just let it hang around her neck.

Jihyo smiled at her. “I walked all the way here with Ms. Chou and I wouldn’t forget something important.”

“I bet you two had a good talk.”, Sana snickered.

Jihyo thought if it was really a good talk. If she was referring to coming to good terms with Chou Tzuyu, then they really had a good talk. But then she doubted if it was as she thought of the small confession Tzuyu made.

“So, where do you want to start? Right? Left?” Sana pointed at the pathways leading to different ways.

Jihyo had never actually explored beyond far beyond the entrance since they only had gone to the park center.

“Well, what do you want to show me first?”, Jihyo asked.

Sana put her index finger under her lip as she thought about it.

“How about what I want to show you last.”, Sana giggled. “Tourists always start to the left where the guide always leads them. But I want to go the opposite way and show you around and then you’ll see the greatest piece at the very end.”, she smiled widely.

“Alright if you say so. I’m still a tourist, right?”, Jihyo said as she pulled out her guide map from her coat pocket.

Sana pulled Jihyo’s arm and put hers around it as they started walking for their little tour.

It was almost three in the afternoon. Since it’s winter, it gets cloudy from time to time, looking like it will snow any time soon.

They passed by the small field and crossed the bridge over the walled waterfalls that leads to the inner parts of the garden.

“This is where they set up small shops and booths every year for the Snow Light Festival. And this is also where most people gather for a great view of the fireworks by the end of the festival.” Sana said as she gestured the spots where they are usually set up. “But I have my own favorite place to watch the fireworks and I’ll show you later.”, she smiled.

Then they went further. They passed by a lot of sculptures while Sana made brief descriptions about each of them. Jihyo was amazed how Sana knew all of the pieces like she had lived in the art park for years. It is really an amazing place to have a peace of mind.

The first sculpture they went to is called the “1-9-8-5 Chosei Chinka” which means “Sinking Intelligence”. It was a huge piece that looks like a room composed of thick metal frames. On its sides were big square mirrors that reflected the nature’s surroundings.

“I used to stare at this piece a lot every time I go here because the reflection of the lights gets a little weird when the sun changes its angle. But it’s really interesting.”, she nods as she stares at it.

“Why do you think it’s named that?”, Jihyo asked.

“I don’t know”, she giggled. “Maybe it makes you intelligent after you stare at it.”, she laughed.

Jihyo snickered. “Do you think you’re smarter now?”

“Nope.”, Sana laughed. “And I think it shows.”

 

The next piece they stopped by was the “Yottsu no Kaze” which means “The Four Winds”. It has a pillar that stood tall while there were three other pillars around it that seemed to have fallen.

“The other three pillars used to stand but after some time, it just collapsed. One day when I came back here, I saw it was already like this. But I like it this way.”

Jihyo, a perfectionist, didn’t understand why Sana admired something that had gone broken, far from its original work. She thought why it still hasn’t been cleared off from the park.

“The artist claims that it was supposed to fall. And I think that’s a great way to bring out its meaning.”

Jihyo raised her brow and asked, “What do you think it’s supposed to mean?”

“It means there are times when flaws are what make things perfect.”, Sana let out a soft smile. Jihyo felt Sana’s arm tightened around hers.

Sana stared at the top of the pillar as she looked at it with awe. Jihyo looked at her with amazement and thought how this woman tends to always finds some light in things that seemed to have gone dark. Just like how she gave her the second chance for the project.

“I don’t see that in the guide map.”, Jihyo giggled as she pretended to look at the description in the guide map.

“It’s not.”, Sana looked at Jihyo and smiled playfully. “You know, it’s not always about looking at the guidelines and making everything perfect. And I want you to understand that.”, she said as she took the guide map from Jihyo’s hand and put it inside her pocket.

“I think I need that.”

“Why? I’m already here to guide you.”, Sana said with a bit of tease in her voice as she giggled at Jihyo.

There it is again. That one little skip in Jihyo’s chest. This time it was louder and more profound that she heard it herself. Good thing Sana didn’t notice. Or else she’ll be in a little trouble.

Jihyo just gave a soft nervous laugh. Then they continued walking.

Sana continued naming every sculpture they pass by and tried giving a little bit of information about them. Rather than explaining the details and history of each, she focused on telling Jihyo the meaning they convey.

Jihyo knew Sana was trying to point out the little details about humane characteristics and values from each piece to make her understand more about it. And she thought how Sana could be an amazing spectator in galleries since she has a good eye for it.

“You know, if you’ll be a judge in art contests, some of the artists would probably never want to work with you.”, Jihyo snickered as she tried to hide it.

Sana made a skeptical look and scoffed. “Why not?”

“Because just as how I am, I focus on the physical aesthetic of the piece. Not really looking into it. And that’s what some of us do. And with your little drabbles and criticism about the meaning behind everything, oh, they would definitely not like it.”, Jihyo let out a small laugh and then Sana laughed along.

“You’re right. But you’re wrong about one thing.”

“What’s that?”, Jihyo made a confused look as she raised her brows.

Sana smiled at her.

“That’s how you used to be.”

They heard a ding from the speakers. People started to leave as they heard the announcement that the park will close in ten minutes, but Sana didn’t seem to mind.

It had been over an hour since they started walking around the garden, but they haven’t even gone through half of it. It was nearing to five in the afternoon and the sun has started to set.

“Do you want to take a shortcut to the grand finale?”, Sana tugged Jihyo and smiled.

“Are you sure it’s fine? The park’s already closing.”

“I’m not worried about the park closing. I’m sure it’s fine. We’re working, aren’t we?”, she giggled.

Speaking of work, Jihyo still hasn’t asked Sana about the project. But she thought she should wait after this little tour ends since it would be rude to just suddenly talk about it.

Then they reached their last destination. Jihyo already saw this at a distance and was awed how big it is. But she is now more fascinated as she sees it a close distance.

“This is The Path to the Hidden Garden.”, Sana said as she let out a breathy sigh.

Sana led her to the beginning of the path where a giant gate frame stood. Jihyo didn’t see this before as it was perhaps covered with the trees from the view at the park center.

It was getting darker and a little chilly. The small lights started to light up when they arrived at its gate. It was barely giving light on anything as they were just small enough to show the path.

As they went through the gigantic frame, they passed by two small hills, one standing on each side. Then they reached the tall sundial where it had markings on its base. They walked through and then reached the seven fountains, each has square bases aligned to one another. As they walked along the fountains, they could hear an ambient music that matches the nature around them as there are speakers installed hidden from the view to give a serene experience for every person that walks through the pathway.

The sun had sunk; and the stars are slowly appearing. There were only minimal lighting to see the path, enough to see each figure so it was a bit hard to see the rest of the pathway.

They had been silent since they entered the gate which made Jihyo feel a little nervous.

As they walked past the fountains, they then walked by the gigantic cone that Jihyo had seen before. The cone is hollow inside where there is a light at its center that illuminates its inner walls.

And then they walked through the crisscrossed waterway that finally led to the other giant gate frame at the very end of the path.

It was a long walk as the trail is too. It was meant for people to enjoy the soothing atmosphere while walking through as each figure is admired.

At the base of the gate frame is a large transparent glass floor. And underneath it is water that has started to freeze.

Sana walked on it and motioned Jihyo to follow but Jihyo was a bit hesitant.

“Isn’t it a little dangerous? Because it might break, you know.”, Jihyo laughed nervously.

“You have trust issues, don’t you?”, Sana laughed at her. “It’s built here so that people can step on it. Or even lie on it.” She continued to laugh.

Jihyo let go of the worry and just followed. As she stepped on the glass, she heard a little creak, but she didn’t mind since she is convinced of what Sana told her.

She felt a little bit familiar with the place. It was something calm.

“This is the last part of our tour.”, Sana smiled at her. “This is my favorite spot to watch the fireworks because there’s not much light to clash with the sky and there are no people around too” She laughed as she looked up at the sky. “And it’s really quiet that all you can hear are the fountains and the fireworks.”

“You don’t seem like someone who doesn’t like the company of people, Ms. Minatozaki.”, Jihyo snickered.

“It’s a place where I find peace so don’t judge me.”, Sana laughed and pushed Jihyo lightly.

“I’m not.”, Jihyo defended. “What makes this place your favorite, though?”

Sana went silent as she slightly faltered at the question.

“Ah, I’m sorry. You don’t have to answer.”, Jihyo realized it must be something personal.

“No, it’s okay. It’s important for you to know anyway.”, she said and paused.

“I always come here with a friend years before.”, she smiled softly as she looked down on the glass floor.

Then it started snowing. Jihyo felt the cold wind crept up on her neck when she saw how Sana’s expression changed. It was the same as the one when she saw her under the first snow. It was that look again. That look of longing.

“She’s gone now, though.”, she sighed as she looked up at the sky. Her voice started to break. “We were really close. We made adventures with the smallest of things and did different kinds of thrills together. We shared a lot. And the most precious thing we shared… was time.”

Her tears welled and started to fall as soon as she finished her words.

Jihyo felt the weight of her soft sobs, how each bore the sorrow of the years Sana had gone through. It was like every drop of her tear on the glass floor echoed in her ears. And it ached for Jihyo to hear it.

Jihyo didn’t know what say or do back when she saw Sana crying like this under the snow because of the tensed distaste she had against her. But now with her mind clear, she knew what to do.

She lightly pulled Sana’s shoulder to face her. She tried to avoid the look on Sana as she might not bear the sadness continuously flowing from her eyes. Jihyo thought it might also bring her to tears. Because just hearing her cry is painful.

She wiped Sana’s tears with her coat’s sleeve.

Jihyo’s brows creased as she looked at the streak of tears falling from Sana’s eyes. Jihyo wanted her to stop crying because it hurts her to see Sana, who had always put up a happy façade, break down in front of her, completely bare.

But as much as she wanted it to stop, Jihyo understood how it felt.

She lightly pulled Sana’s head to her shoulder and put her in a tight embrace. Sana also wrapped her arms around her. And Jihyo softly her hair as she let her tears drop and soak her coat.

Through her sobs, Sana whispered. “I never got to say goodbye. I didn’t know it would be the last time I’d ever see her.”

Jihyo felt a thick drag on her chest as she heard those words. No one deserves to feel this way. Especially Sana.

Jihyo finally understood why it’s always the meaning behind every piece that Sana tries to find. Why she always wanted to give meaning to everything. It is always about the value that each hold. It is a way to preserve a moment that would soon eventually just become a remembered past. Time is so unkind that it takes away the things we love. And in return, it gives us a beautiful yet painful gift – memories.

Memories make us human.

“Is this what’s the project for?”, Jihyo finally asked.

She felt a soft nod on her shoulder as she heard the sobs softened and slowly ceased.

Jihyo doesn’t want to ever see Sana like this again. She doesn’t want her to feel any sadness. She just wants to see her smile and be happy.

Jihyo then decided that from this moment, she will always do whatever it takes to make Sana smile.

“I promise to make this the best.”

Sana slowly pulled away from Jihyo and smiled at her.

“Thank you, Jihyo.”

The way Sana said her name was so sweet and sincere that it made her smile. But she also found it funny because it felt weird hearing it for the first time.

“You’re calling me Jihyo now?”, she smiled.

“What? you don’t like it? ‘Ms. Park’ is a little long.”, Sana pouted.

Jihyo snickered as she . “How about our formalities?”

“I thought we’re past that.” Sana giggled.

Jihyo saw Sana shivered lightly so she pulled the ends of Sana’s scarf and fixed it for her.

“There.”

Jihyo was caught off guard when Sana hugged her again.

She hugged her back. It felt comfortable and warm. Especially that it’s already dark and cold. If there were lights directed at them right now, the red flush on Jihyo’s cheeks and ears would ultimately stand out.

“I like it this way. You’re so warm and you smell so good.” Sana smiled. “Thank you again, Jihyo.”

If she could, Jihyo would always make Sana feel warm. As long as it’s to keep her smiling, it didn’t matter to Jihyo if her legs and insides were shivering a little. Because her heart had been warmed and melted with the heat of their closeness. She wanted to stay here for as long as it takes because it will soon be a memory.

“As always…”

“Sana.”