CHAPTER 1

The Artist of Sapporo (TWICE SaHyo AU)

Park Jihyo just moved to Hokkaido, Japan. She was commissioned to make an art exhibit in Sapporo, Hokkaido’s capital, just months after graduating from the College of Fine Arts in the most prestigious university in Korea. Known to be the best among all graduates, she was chosen by their dean to do the job as it is said to be a huge project. This opportunity was given to her as a chance to be finally recognized by a great number of audiences around the world and also a chance to be awarded with this year’s "Fine Arts Prodigy of the 21st Century".

Jihyo, known for being a perfectionist with exceptional skills and confidence beyond comparison, affirmed to her superiors that she can finish preparing the exhibit in just a month.

She always wants her works faultless and absolute. Every detail in each piece in the exhibit was carefully studied and inspected for flaws and blemishes; yet none can be seen. As expected from her brilliance, everything was indeed perfect. The people she had been working with for the past month congratulated her for the upcoming success of her work as they know for sure that it will have a great number audience since it was made by Park Jihyo herself, a prodigy indeed.

Just a little more and her project is completed.

On the day for the final inspection, someone came to the exhibit. The person slowly studied each piece laid out and displayed as she looked at each with close perception.

The person sighed.

“This is just the worst.”

Jihyo heard the person behind her and felt the disappointment in its tone. Right there, shocked and disoriented, Jihyo had never felt so insulted her entire life as she was used to everyone praising her skills and talent ever since she was a child. She was a prodigy after all.

Jihyo turned around to face the person but she was gone.

Infuriated and instantly disgruntled with all her work, Jihyo ripped the papers for the inspection and decided to start all over, dropping her chance to be entitled as the fine arts prodigy and breaking her opportunities to further her career.

“Ms. Park! What are you doing?”, one of the staff yelled when he saw what Jihyo did.

But Jihyo didn’t say anything. She just walked past the people standing still and looking at her. They felt the unpleasant mood hovering all over her, so they chose not to say anything else.

 

“Ms. Park! What is the meaning of this?!”, the head of production yelled as he slammed the ripped inspection papers on his desk. Jihyo just stood silently in front of him.

“You had a month! Do you know how much we have invested for this exhibit? Each of the staff alone costs 120,000 yen! Aren’t you supposed to be the best in your school? You hold its name, yet you had the impudence to bring shame upon it! Explain yourself while I still have the patience to listen to such an absurd excuse.” The head slumped back to his chair, breathless, his cheeks and forehead tainted red with infuriation as he waited for Jihyo’s response.

“It was simply not enough.”, Jihyo plainly stated.

The head chuckled with disbelief like he was about to lose his wits.

“Not enough? Not enough?! That is your excuse?! This is intolerable! You just let your best chance slip away. A lot was spent for this project just to be thrown away because it was not enough?! Do you even know how much my company would lose if this project gets trashed?!”, he said as he turned his back on Jihyo. “This is such a waste. Discontinue this project. I’ll tell the the staff myself how incompeten-“

“I’ll start over.”, Jihyo said firmly.

“Wha-“, he slowly faced Jihyo.

“First of all, this is not your company. You’re just a head, not the founder, not the CEO. Second, I don’t care if I am the one to provide for the expenses. If you care so much about your money, then keep it to yourself. After all, to me, 120,000 yen is just another speck of dust on the floor ready to be swept out to the bin.” Jihyo, her chin raised high, looked down on the head with a stern look. “If you really are letting me go, it is unfortunately a terrible loss for you as well.” Jihyo turned to leave. The head realized it as well and made a debating look with himself.

Jihyo was right. No doubt she can pay for everything all the way since she is more than wealthy. Not only her family is wealthy but Jihyo alone can buy the exhibit to herself as well. Another thing she is right about is that this project benefits the production company on a wide range. Money, on top of it all.

“Wait.”, he sighed as he faced the utterance of defeat.

“I will call a meeting with the directing team for reconsideration the day after tomorrow. And this meeting includes you, of course.”, the head paused. “However, you already lost your candidacy for the award as you have failed to comply with the terms. I will send you an e-mail regarding what time and where the meeting will be held.”

Jihyo smirked at the head. “Now that is the right choice to make.”, she said with a superior remark as she walked out of the head’s office, leaving the head filled with irritation.

“How did it go, Ms. Park?”, Myoui Mina, one of the directors, asked Jihyo with her hopes up.

“I think you heard enough since the head was practically shouting every word.”, Jihyo joked as she chuckled.

“With him being all grumpy, I think everything went well. But how about the award?”

“It’s just another award for display, Ms. Myoui. It’s not a big deal.”, Jihyo laughed.

Mina laughed along. Then she gave Jihyo a concerned look. “By the way, the rest of the team were complaining about this whole thing. They were really upset since everything was ready. What made you do it?”

“Like I said. I was not satisfied with what I’ve done.”, Jihyo sighed.

“I think that won’t be a good enough reason, Ms. Park. You still have to talk to everyone about it.”

“I know. It will be very difficult, though.”

Jihyo walked back to the exhibit to tell her team about what happened. She told them that there will be a meeting about the reconsideration. Although, it wasn’t sure yet, Jihyo assured them that it will be approved. Because who would even refuse Park Jihyo?

But despite all the explanation she gave, the staff were still discouraged by the fact that they had worked their hours and efforts on to the project for a month.

Hours had passed and Jihyo felt the drought in her soul.

As she expected, Jihyo arrived at her apartment late at night, almost eleven. She collapsed on her bed as she was extremely exhausted after a lot of continuous complaints from her team. The whole preparation was truly a hell of a job, only to be trampled by someone who doesn’t even know how hard it was to make it. She even lost the award.

It was as if Jihyo’s time and effort at the art school was completely wasted and thrown away. Completely useless.

How could that person just ramp whatever she wants like a nuisance who can’t even see how great my work is!

Jihyo furrowed her brows as she thought and rant about how insulted she really is.

She spent her days and most of her nights in school to be the perfect artist she is now. She learned and mastered the precision of each curve and detail to be carved on clay to make a magnificent sculpture. She learned and mastered the accurate and brush to be laid upon the canvas to bring out the perfect hue of the picture. She learned and mastered everything to the very last detail of each concept.

Why am I even so affected by someone who doesn’t even know a single thing about what I do?

As if it’s actually a big deal.

What’s an award worth anyway?

Jihyo never made awards nor money a big part of her life as an artist. For her, it is the satisfaction and awe from her audience that influence her works to be brought out to their best. She always craved for the feeling of people being amazed, mesmerized by her works as if it were something worth of idolatry.

 

The next day at the exhibit, Jihyo was clearing out the whole site, simply tossing every single piece inside box after box like how it was indirectly pointed out to her - trash. Although she was tensed, she still managed her team very well with a strict composure. But behind this façade, she was still annoyed and irritated.

“Ms. Park. Is this really how you want it?”, Mina asked again as she placed a box down together with a pile.

“For the hundredth time, yes. You can look at it as redecorating or making things a lot better. I have more exciting ideas how this should turn out.” A perfect excuse for her dissatisfaction and irritation.

“Do you think the head will approve of this?”

“The head?”, Jihyo scoffed at the idea of how that man is only attached to money and his selfish well-being. “He’s not the problem. Besides, we’ll talk about it tomorrow. I’m sure it will be approved.”, Jihyo said with abrupt confidence.

“Oh, always so assured as expected from you. Then let’s work hard to make it the best.” Mina said cheerfully.

“Thank you, Ms. Myoui.”, Jihyo smiled at her.

All day, they worked just to clear out hundreds of Park Jihyo’s works. She chuckled at the thought how true the saying that one can be created with difficulty yet can be destroyed easily. A month’s work to a day’s junk.

She saw how each member of her team was unhappy and disappointed with what happened. Who would be even have the lightest mood with something you worked so hard for gets wiped out in an instant? But despite this, they were all aware that Park Jihyo was the one who was mostly affected by this. All of it were her art works after all.

 

Half-past ten in the evening, Jihyo was the last person at the exhibit, making sure everything was clean and cleared out. Near the exit lies the piles of boxes that contain her pieces and artworks. She looked at it from its peak to its bottom with downcast eyes. For a second, the known-to-be confident Park Jihyo felt pity for herself as she thought how her efforts were tossed inside boxes, invisible from her desired audience.

“What am I even doing?”, she chuckled to herself. She walked out of the exhibit and checked the time on her watch. A cold sensation slowly crept up to her as the cool breeze slowly swept around her. Then, a snowflake slowly settled down on her wrist. She looked up to see that it was already snowing. “Shoot, I need to head home.” It’s getting cold.

As she was about to leave, a familiar voice behind her caught her attention.

“Hatsuyuki”, the stranger sighed.

Hatsuyuki? First snow?

Jihyo recalled and recognized that it was the same voice that called her exhibit the worst; called her masterpieces the worst. It was that person who cost her opportunities and put her to wasted time and effort. What a ridicule. Jihyo suddenly felt the annoyance and infuriation climb up once again.

She turned around, ready to bat on whoever that headache of a person is.

But Jihyo didn’t utter a word.

She saw the woman in front of her, unaware of Jihyo’s presence, silently sobbing while looking at the pulverized sky, letting the snow drop to her face as it melts along with her tears.

Jihyo felt awkward. She doesn’t know what to do. Should she approach the woman, or should she just go home and most likely let conscience eat her thoughts away as she struggles to fall asleep? Dammit. Jihyo would love to choose the latter without a second thought but the conscience part is just unbearable. However, the thought just wouldn’t let her run free.

Why do I even feel sympathetic for this woman? After all, she was the one who caused me lots of troubles. Whatever, I’m heading home.

But then, Jihyo heard the woman’s silent sobs. She thought she cannot just be so unbothered when someone is clearly bothered by something.

“Hey.”, Jihyo called out to the lady. I can’t believe I’m doing this. “You shouldn’t be wandering around this late.”, Jihyo boldly blurted with little to no hint of concern at all.

The woman did not budge, only letting out more tears and sadder sobs as she looked at the snowy sky.

Now you’ve done it.

Jihyo walked towards the woman, unsure of what to do. The woman, gradually regaining her senses, slowly turned her head to Jihyo. And steadily, their eyes met. Jihyo slowed down as she gazed at the woman’s eyes. She had never seen such tired eyes that pours out the saddest tears of all. It was as if she was staring at the epitome of sadness itself. Jihyo can tell that the brown of her eyes had become so dull, almost losing its color, for being repeatedly washed away with tears and unhappiness.

The woman turned her back against Jihyo as she wiped the tears away and started walking fast.

What the-

“Hey!”, Jihyo ran behind the woman. She placed her hand on the woman’s left shoulder and slowly pulled it to face her. She was not crying anymore. It’s like nothing happened. She had a firm look on her face like she was a completely different person. But the dried tears were still visible as it glistened with the snow and city lights.

I really can’t believe I am doing this. “Are you alright?”, Jihyo asked with a tone of slight concern even though this woman was the one who defamed her pride.

“Let me go.”, the lady said in a neutral tone as she swatted Jihyo’s hand away, only bringing the annoyance back to her nerves. The boldness of this woman.

Then the lady started walking fast again, leaving Jihyo standing on the snowy pavement.

Jihyo, who had enough headache for the day, just let the woman go. Why is it her problem to deal with it, anyway?

“God, what’s wrong with her?”, Jihyo muttered under her breath as she also turned and started walking back to her apartment. “Tch. As if I care.”, she scoffed.

 

The day for the meeting finally came. And Jihyo can’t wait for the approval as she was so sure about it. She wanted to show that person who insulted her work how dreadfully mistaken she was.

The meeting was set at noon, which is fifteen minutes from now, at the head’s office.

Jihyo walked as swiftly as possible, trying not to slip on the icy sidewalks outside the building. She was suddenly reminded of last night but quickly buried the thought with how she should present her plans for the exhibit’s revision.

As she entered and continued brisk walking, dozens of people eyed her. Some, mostly civilians, with the look of awe. While the rest, her staff, with the look of obvious concealed panic.

“That’s Park Jihyo right there. She just graduated and right away, she landed a huge deal of a job. It pays big time.”

“Starting big at a young age.”

“As expected from the best in their school. Of course, she would be recognized right away. She’s the 21st Century’s Fine Arts Prodigy!”

“Wasn’t that awarded to someone else? She discontinued the commission and lost the candidacy, so it was simply given away.”

Jihyo was used to gossips. So, she just pretended to not hear any of it.

“That’s a shame. Why did she, though? That is such a big dent on her career, I assume. It’s probably just bad luck for a beginner.”

Tch. Beginner?

She is way far from a beginner as she is deemed much better than a professional. That overrated award, she thought, is just for a petty title. She does not need nor want it at all. She is not a prodigy for nothing. She has received countless awards from different countries and top-tier industries. She has been invited to several well-known conferences, galleries, and exhibits across Korea; some even in Europe. It would be very stupid for a person to try and dare mock her excellence in fine arts.

“I heard she got accepted in that school just because her family paid a hundred million won for it.”

That was the last. Jihyo felt her temper burst inside and was about to brawl with the person who blurted such ridiculous accusation as she walked towards him.

“Ms. Park!”, Myoui Mina called and waved at her. What a timing.

“Ms. Myoui.”, Jihyo smiled lightly with composure. She reached out for a handshake but instead, she was giggled at. With Mina’s calming presence, somehow, Jihyo felt relieved.

“I think you are too formal around your acquaintances, Ms. Park.”, Mina continued giggling.

“I don’t recall us being acquaintances, Ms. Myoui.”, Jihyo said with a hint of humor and smiled.

“Not to be rude but I think the staff will feel a lot better if you smile like that at times.”, Mina told her with assurance.

Jihyo felt like she hasn’t eased her nerves in ages as she felt the tension inside her soften at least a little bit. It is true that Jihyo is the most serious when it comes to work because of course, she needs to be focused to get her duties done perfectly. And because of her seriousness, majority of the people she works with often see her as a frightening person. Well in fact, she really is.

“With you not returning my handshake is already rude enough so no thank you, Ms. Myoui.”, Jihyo laughed and reached out again for a handshake. Mina cheerfully shook it and they laughed once again.

“You’re headed to the meeting, right? Let’s go together.”

 

It’s seems like everyone was already there as they arrived in the head’s office. Soon after they seated themselves around the table, they started their discussion about the revision’s approval.

Jihyo was supposed to be eager about this meeting. She tried to focus but as soon as one of the directors spoke, her mind had lost its way to what happened last night.

Jihyo could not remove the image of the lady crying under the falling snow. The way the woman’s eyes looked so soaked in despair. The way her eyes looked at hers is if there was something. It seemed like it was calling out for something. The vision of the lady looking so sorrowful and lost played in her head in constant repetition, even Jihyo almost feeling sympathetic for her.

Jihyo was rattled, her head splitting. Again, she reminded herself that this is none of her concerns. She’s a stranger, after all. Why was she even acting this way?

“Ms. Park.”

She was pulled back to reality when Mina nudged her.

“Ms. Park. Are you okay with all of this?”, one of the directors asked.

Jihyo, whose thoughts were all over, pretended she understood it all and agreed.

“Yes, I am okay with it. Now shall we move on? I don’t have all day.”

All heads turned to her direction with a quizzical look. Even the eyes of the production head were wide open, covered in disbelief. Even Mina mouthed to her with worry, “What are you doing?”

“It’s settled then. I thought it would be hard to negotiate with you, Ms. Park.”, the person stood up and collected her belongings. As she walked towards the door, she eyed Jihyo for a second and left.

The production head stumbled standing up and chased her outside as he called out to her loudly.

“Wait, Minatozaki-sama!”

“Ms. Park! What were you thinking? We just lost our chance for the revision!”, one of the directors yelled. One yell after the other and then another. It’s like they got in sync with all the yelling.

“Ms. Park. I think you should settle this. It is really going to be a big mess if you won’t.”, Mina said with her brows furrowed. “See me if you need anything.”

At once, all the directors head outside, leaving Jihyo slumped back with shock, worry, and panic.

What are the odds? She was the woman from last night.

 

Minatozaki Sana is the owner of Creative Productions based in Hokkaido Region. Ten years after the founder, Minatozaki Sana’s father, passed away, she inherited the company when she turned eighteen as she was the only child. With well-known artists from different countries commissioned by the company, Minatozaki Sana has put up many successful exhibits and galleries across Hokkaido Region, also some in Tokyo in Kanto Region and her hometown Osaka in Kansai Region. In her five years as the owner of the best art company in the region, Minatozaki Sana has also made several exemplary contributions for the annual Sapporo Snow Festival, the most celebrated festival in Hokkaido. Ever since she took over the company, never had they failed in putting up exhibits and galleries, always showing off their best. Recently, however, the company commissioned a fresh graduate from Korea who is known to be a prodigy. And just earlier this day, the new project had been discontinued for undisclosed reasons…

Jihyo turned the television off as she would not even bother watching further through the news as it might just ruin her night even more. But she was relieved her name wasn’t mentioned.

How could she not know that her commissioner is the owner of the company? Well, for Park Jihyo, she doesn’t need to know who her commissioner is or who she is working for. Because she is confident and more than sure enough to know, even without any criticism or feedback, she will impress and satisfy them.

But for godsake, this woman is just different.

Jihyo buried her face in her hands as she contemplates on what to do. Of course, it would be stupid if she wouldn’t do anything as it will be a huge complication just as what Mina said. This would not only affect the company but also her as well.

I should settle this. Should I call her?

She looked outside the window and saw the city was covered with snow again as it was continuously falling since she arrived in her apartment. She was again reminded of Sana crying that night. How can she even talk to her without feeling awkward? Just thinking about that dramatic scene is just unspeakable.

But I guess I don’t have a choice, do I?

She reached for her phone to ask Mina for Minatozaki Sana’s number.

“Ms. Myoui, do you happen to have the company owner’s phone number?”

“Good evening to you too, Ms. Park. Yes, I do have her number.”

“It’s 90-XXXX-XXXX.”

“It’s about time you call and settle this at once. What were you thinking anyway?”

“I had a bad night and I’d rather not speak any of it.”

“Anyways, thank you very much, Ms. Myoui. Good night.”

Jihyo stared at the number with hidden agony. She started punching the numbers on her phone and it’s as if every press on each number has its intensity and its weight grinding down on her consciousness. She thought of what she should say. Jihyo thought she should start with how she was bothered by their unexpected “meet-up” the night before the meeting. But doing that would probably make her sound like an imbecile, trying hard to provide an excuse for her over-saturated confidence. Then she thought of her very first encounter with Sana. Jihyo does deserve an explanation for Sana’s distaste on her work, which is an excruciatingly tremendous swallow of her pride. She has never asked for anyone’s opinion after all because she knows what everyone would love to see. An opinion is still a form of criticism and Jihyo is never enthusiastic about it.

Jihyo thought that Minatozaki Sana is probably angry at her at this point and probably forever since this would be very painful for the company’s well-being and reputation.

How stupid am I, really?

As she was about to press dial, she breathes deeply and started taking in how she would be devastated for giving up her pride.

But instead, she locked her phone. “I can’t do this.”, she sighed, the agony hanging under her breath. Once again, she stared at her phone screen, seeing her reflection is sweating from panicking.

Prodigy, huh? I’m being a coward right now.

For the first time, Park Jihyo felt her confidence drop down.

Then, her phone suddenly started buzzing and it made Jihyo jump on her seat almost falling on the floor as this is the most unexpected. Minatozaki Sana is actually the one calling her.

Oh God. What should I say? Jihyo bit her finger as she panicked and started walking back and forth. She felt like the room was closing in on her as she felt the temperature rise.

Then, she answered the call.

“Ms. Park?”

It’s like the weight of panic had crushed her. Jihyo felt her insides tremble and her stomach turn as she heard Sana’s voice speak out her name with a hint of stiffness.

Yet resounded with softness.

“Yes?”, Jihyo instinctively said out of nowhere.

“You sound like you have nothing to say at all, Ms. Park. I believe you still have a lot of explaining to do.”

But Jihyo was just silent.

Sana sighed, “I am not upset about this, Ms. Park. I’m calling you right now to apologize for my abrupt behavior at the meeting earlier. I didn’t even give you a chance to explain why you made that choice.”

There was a pause for a second to let Jihyo respond but all that came out was another twist of her insides. It made Jihyo feel even more anxious and awkward.

It felt like the pause was agonizingly long.

She was about to say something to fill in the silence, but she was put off to another turn.

“Can we meet tomorrow?”

 

 

The next day,

Jihyo was barely paying attention to the production head as she sat across his desk while he was behind her. He kept on rambling about the incident yesterday like it was a life and death matter.

Probably to him, since he basically breathes on money to live, anyway.

It wasn’t only her ears that were about to burst but her temper as well. This man was simply being dramatic.

“I asked, begged, pleaded, call it whatever you want! I had to sell myself to the devil and dip myself in hell just to have Minatozaki-sama reconsider this project. And yet there you were, giving it away carelessly. This isn’t only about you, Ms. Park.”

This is like a déjà vu for Jihyo. She snorted at the thought how she and the head had almost the same argument three days ago. So ridiculous.

The head got annoyed how Jihyo just sat there and snorted at his pointless important matters. His face turned red and was about to spat something.

“I will be seeing Ms. Minatozaki today.”, Jihyo retorted as she stood up.

“What?”, the head sounded surprised. So, Ms. Minatozaki hasn’t told him yet.

“Where?”, the head turned to Jihyo’s direction and he really looked dumbfounded hearing about it.

Hearing the question made Jihyo quite unsure whether to answer it or just leave him at that.

“I believe that is none of your concern. Now, I’ll be on my way. I don’t want to be late.”, Jihyo said as she walked past him. He was left silent for a moment.

“Ms. Park.”, the head said and paused. “Do tell if she approves or not.”

Tch. What a pain.

Jihyo walked out of the head’s office and closed the door with a bit of annoyance, making a loud bang. She didn’t mean to do that. Not sorry, though.

She walked towards the elevator and went through her phone to check her schedule for the day.

Just one more and I’m pretty much done for the day.

Sana told Jihyo to meet her at the café at Sapporo Art Museum, which is about thirty minutes away from the center of the city. Jihyo thought it was good timing since she was a little bit hungry as she had only a slice of bread and coffee earlier this morning.

As she waited for the elevator, Jihyo checked the time on her watch. It was ten in the morning and she still has a fair amount of time.

I still have over an hour.

She looked outside the window and the snowfall was quite heavy. The mountains beyond the city were covered in white, the buildings’ windows started to frost a little on its edges, and their roofs covered with snow. The streets were quite busy with vehicles and Jihyo can hear their collective honks and she can see their roofs were slightly covered with white as well. Apparently, she has to drive to the museum and considering the weather and traffic, it would probably take her almost an hour to get there.

I guess a little more than an hour.

Jihyo sighed. She was never late at any meeting. And Jihyo suddenly thought, Is this a meeting, though? At a café?

The elevator dinged and finally opened.

“Oh Ms. Park!”, Myoui Mina exclaimed as she was surprised by Jihyo, who was surprised as well.

“I believe your time with the head was exhausting judging from your face right now.”, she laughed as she went out of the elevator.

A part of it but she was actually thinking about her meeting with Sana.

“Oh, it was. As usual. Nothing really new about it. Where are you headed?”, Jihyo asked as she went inside.

“I have to deliver this to the head.”, she put the papers up on her hands. “I guess it’s my turn to have a hard time now.”

“Well, good luck on that, I suppose.”, Jihyo laughed at her as the elevator doors closed.

 

Jihyo was still not used to driving in Japan since the driving seat is on the right side of the car, different from Korea’s. At this situation, she gets confused with the roads as well.

“Ah, why does it have to be so far?”, Jihyo grumbled as she finally passed through the heavy traffic and reached the edge of the city’s center. She still has a lot more time but Jihyo, being time conscious, can’t help but worry she will be late.

Ever since she arrived in Sapporo, Jihyo never had the chance nor time to explore and move around the city, just back and forth from her apartment to the exhibit. She was so focused and busy on her work, after all. As she drove out of the city, she looked at the vicinity and was amazed how the snow matched perfectly with the evergreen trees along the road. She never thought to see greens as she was used to seeing bricks and pavements from her apartment’s view. The contrast between shades of green and white was pleasing to Jihyo’s eyes. The view itself was a big contrast to the city’s. It felt pleasant while the city was rampant.

She got the feeling of slight excitement as she wanted to know more. She wanted to know what else Sapporo would reveal and uncover before her. Despite the long drive and distance, Jihyo was glad to see the other side of Sapporo and was eager to grasp more. However, it’s not only the other side of Sapporo she was about to discover but also her own as well.

The navigator on her phone told her to turn right. And as she turned, she saw a river adjacent to the road. It was not wide nor narrow, but it was big enough to fit small boats. She looked at the navigator screen and it says “Makomanai River”. She saw a bridge over the river and on it were a few people taking pictures of the river as they laugh altogether. It’s a really nice place for people to spend time together.

As she passed by the river, she looked at the sign, “Welcome to Sapporo Art Museum. This way to museum parking”.

Jihyo parked nearest to the museum. She noticed her car was the only one there. As she turned off the engine, she let out a big sigh. Once again, she thought of what to say to Sana since they never had an actual and decent conversation before. This is their first formal meeting. Somehow, Jihyo was actually nervous. She still had the image of Sana crying at the back of her head as she can’t just shake the thought out and forget about it. It was an unforgettable encounter, after all. And an awkward one too.

Still, Jihyo cannot remove her suspecting thoughts why Sana had to make her drive for almost an hour to meet her at a café in a museum. “Is this really a meeting?”. Jihyo muttered.

Setting her thoughts aside, she wore her coat and took her umbrella from the back seat. She looked outside and the snowfall had lessened. As she opened the car door, the cold breeze went up to her. Ah it’s really cold. Jihyo hoped this meeting better be done soon because she doesn’t want to be caught up with a really heavy snowfall.

She went up to the museum’s entrance. She placed her umbrella in one of the holders before she went in. She went to the receiving desk to pay for her parking fee and for her admission ticket.

As she went through the museum, Jihyo didn’t even bother looking at the pieces and figures placed around her. She thought that it would be useless since she would just criticize each and every piece and take up much of her time.

She walked to the café, named La Foglia, at the other end of the museum. And as she went inside, she saw Sana wasn’t still there.

Jihyo ordered a chocolate banana waffle and apple tea. She got much hungrier because of the long drive. She thought it would be rude to eat alone, so she ordered the same for Sana.

Professional courtesy is always a way to win.

Jihyo removed her coat and sat by the large window that shows a great view of a large pond just outside the museum. She looked at the different trees surrounding it. There were pink, peach, green, and white. Jihyo felt the peace, once again, take over her mind. She smiled how beautiful it would be to use this color palette on one of her art pieces because it would remind her of this beautiful scenery in Sapporo. Japan is a beautiful place, indeed.

She got distracted when her order was placed in front of her. She smiled and looked up to thank the person and saw it was Minatozaki Sana who was also smiling at her.

God, Japan is really beautiful.

Jihyo slightly blushed at the thought and instantly scolded herself for thinking how rude that was. Well, Jihyo cannot deny that the woman in front of her was really beautiful and stunning. It was different from when she first met her because now, Sana was smiling.

“Good morning, Ms. Park. They called your name for your order, but you seem distracted. So, I took the chance to bring it here instead.”, she smiled as she placed down hers together with her belongings as she sat down.

“And thank you for being so thoughtful”, Sana smiled again, widely this time.

Jihyo was undeniably speechless at this point. She thought how this woman in front of her doesn’t feel awkward at the slightest. Doesn’t she remember what happened before? And with Sana smiling so endearingly, Jihyo can’t stop herself from being nervous.

“Ah, I’m sorry, Ms. Minatozaki.” Jihyo said with a hint of nervousness.

I need to compose myself.

Jihyo collected her thoughts and set aside unnecessary things from her mind.

“I figured it is a perfect time since it is nearing to noon.”, Jihyo managed to let out a smile.

“You don’t need to apologize.”, Sana giggled. “Let’s eat. I know you’re hungry too.”, she smiled as she took a bite from the waffle. And Jihyo started eating as well.

A meeting, she said.

“Did you drive all the way here?”, Sana asked.

“Yes. It was quite a long drive because of the weather.”, Jihyo said trying not to sound rude as she thought how much traffic she had to go through plus the weather.

Jihyo recalled that she didn’t see any car in the parking lot other than hers.

“How about you?”

“I took the bus since it’s much faster when there’s a heavy snowfall like this.”, Sana said as she looked outside the window.

“Ah, makes sense.”, Jihyo said as she thought that she should really know more about this place.

They were silent for a while as they finished their food.

While looking at the view, Sana placed her chin on her left hand and lifted the tea with the other.

There it is again. Even for a second, Jihyo saw Sana’s eyes change into the ones she saw that night. Melancholic and longing.

Jihyo cleared to break the silence.

“So, Ms. Minatozaki. On to business?” Jihyo placed her tea down and clasped her hands together. Sana put her empty cup down and smiled at Jihyo.

Jihyo shivered and thought it must be because of the cold weather. But a second later, she realized the heater inside the café was on.

“Being straightforward is an advantage when dealing with business. And that’s a powerful trait you have, Ms. Park.”

“But, sometimes taking things slow is a little better.”

 

 

Meanwhile at the head’s office, he was talking furiously through the phone as he paced back and forth, throwing his other arm in the air.

“I told you to get this done! As quickly as possible. I can’t wait for much longer. I don’t care whatever you do. Just let it push through and get this over with.”, the head ended the call and threw the phone on the couch.

“Aish, this is such a pain.”, he grunted as he let himself fall on the couch.

“What was that about?”, his assistant asked as she entered the room with a cup of coffee on her hand.

“None of your concern. It was just a colleague of mine that won’t just cooperate well enough.”, the head grumbled.

“That Park Jihyo is just getting on my nerves.”

“Hmm, how so?”, the assistant asked as she placed the coffee on the table in front of the couch.

“She is meeting Minatozaki-sama today and I wasn’t even notified. She is the one causing this company a lot of troubles. We’re going to lose a lot of money if this continues. The artists we commissioned from Philippines and Thailand refused to do a project because they saw the news! I had to make up petty excuses to the media just to preserve our reputation and prevent more casualties.”, the head cursed as he sits straight.

“I believe their meeting is none of your business.”, the assistant said smugly as she walked out the door.

The head just chuckled as he sipped from the coffee.

His phone rang and the head got annoyed as he thought he was left alone in peace. He muttered curses as he answers the call.

“What?!”

“We have it.”

 

Jihyo walked beside Sana as they walked through the museum. Sana hasn’t said a word since they left the café which Jihyo thought was a little strange.

I want to finish this already. The snow’s going to cover the road soon.

Jihyo just looked straight ahead as she tried her best not to look at the art works displayed all around them. Every sculpture they pass by, she pretends to not see as if nothing was there. She tried not to look on her sides to avoid seeing the paintings hanging on the wall. Even though it was a museum and not a gallery, Jihyo would still criticize each and every one of the pieces once she sees them.

They entered a room at the very end of the west side of the museum. Its walls were painted pure white. Jihyo thought it was empty, but one sculpture was displayed at the very center of the room.

“Ms. Park.” Sana called to her as Jihyo tries not to look at the sculpture. “I want you to tell me what you think this is.”

Jihyo was surprised at Sana’s call.

“Why?”

“So that I can decide whether I am going to reconsider the project or just let it go to waste.”, Sana said with seriousness as she eyed Jihyo.

Jihyo got a bit annoyed at Sana’s remark as she remembered that it was Sana who did not like her exhibit.

“Ms. Minatozaki, if I recall correctly, it was you who actually called off the exhibit on the day for the final inspection because I heard you say that the exhibit that I entirely put my efforts on was the worst; it was already perfect yet you think of it as if it was some trash.”, Jihyo said without pause and hesitation, already annoyed more and her infuriation going back to her senses.

Suddenly, the density of the air got thicker and its weight now heavier.

“Tell me first what this sculpture is, and I’ll tell you my reason.”, Sana said, now with a much bolder tone.

Jihyo sighed and gave in as she thought there was no other choice at all.

She slowly looked at the sculpture and eyed every single detail.

“It’s a stone statue of a man, probably made during 900 B.C. during the Jomon period since they used a lot of stones and clay back then. The minimal crevices on its sides tells that the materials used were strong enough to hold the piece together, retaining its original form. Howev-“

“Stop. You’re like reading from a book.”, Sana cut through Jihyo’s explanation. Jihyo just could not and would not believe this woman being so boldly annoying.

“What? I thought you told me to tell you what this is.”, Jihyo said showing the annoyance in her voice as her brows furrowed. She folded her arms and looked at Sana in the eyes.

Sana sighed, “This is exactly why I said your exhibit was the worst. You were the one who acted on impulse as you heard me say it. I didn’t mean to completely dismantle everything. I’ll be honest. Your works are worth a million views and praises which is expected from a prodigy like you.”, Sana said and Jihyo looked up with the hopes of the project to be reconsidered.

“I commissioned you to make an exhibit that portrays humanity – love, compassion, sympathy, everything that makes us human. But the second I came in; I didn’t see love. I didn’t see compassion. I just thought it was empty. It didn’t have any feelings at all.”, Sana said as her voice cracked.

Jihyo saw it once again.

Sana had her face look so stern and composed as she looked at Jihyo in the eyes. But Sana did not realize tears were slowly welling up on her eyes.

“I’m sorry, Ms. Park. But I cannot reconsider this project. I’ll tell the head myself. It was an experience doing business with you.”, Sana paused and turned to leave. She then bit her lip as she wiped her tears away. “This commission was actually personal for me.”, she said in a hushed tone and then walked away.

Jihyo tried to say something but it felt like her soul just left her body. It was like her mind got broken into a million pieces. This is the first time she has ever heard someone criticize her works; and for her, it was unbearable. Jihyo accepts that she always creates something solely from her ideas, her brain, her thinking. Not ever from her feelings.

She felt guilty.

I’m a failure after all.

Jihyo thought she can put up for the loss of her confidence over such a small matter. But it was not something she can just build up on. It was her life as an artist after all. Jihyo felt that it does seem like the time she spent on her education was completely useless. She felt like the word “prodigy” wasn’t fit for her at all.

Then she remembered why she pursued her dream to be an artist, why she came out to be the best among everybody in her school. She remembered how her mom had always supported her from the very beginning.

I’m sorry, omma. Let me be vulnerable this time.

She pulled up her phone from her pocket and called Myoui Mina.

“Yes, Ms. Park?”

“Hey, Ms. Myoui. Sapporo is famous for its beer, right?”