External Forces Dampen You (& Everything Around You)

It's The Afternoon

Wooyoung has a lot of fanboys. It was sort of surprising, because he expected Taecyeon and Junho to cover the largest demographics, even Nichkhun. So to say he was in shock when JYP pulled up the chart was an understatement, because he was more popular than in everyone, in a field which he didn’t even know he wanted to be popular in. Last he remembered, Khun had actually been most popular there, why had that changed?

Of course the rest of the members all laughed at him and to no end, but he assumed it would all go away in a few days or a week. They’d forget about it and move on. But no, as soon as the members had gone past it, his manager was strolling in and announcing that they must be more open towards their fans. Specifically, their male ones. Chansung let out a giggle, eyes fixated on Wooyoung as he repeated the words. “Gotta focus on the male part too,” the younger patted his hyung on the back. Minjun had coughed to hide his laugh but he was the only polite one in the group, aside from Nichkhun of course who had been doing some interview at the time. 

That’s how the conversation between them and Jaebum started. They all had sat down at a cafe, quite awkwardly and there was some plain small talk. Which was something Minjun and Taecyeon excelled at, for some reason they fell short today though. He stifled a yawn, yesterday had been a slightly late night but it was fine. It was all fine. 

Jaebum met his eyes, eyebrows raised at his yawn and something flickering in his eyes. Wooyoung paled, he hoped he didn’t offend Jaebum, it’s just he’d always been weak considering health and this schedule wasn’t doing him any good. 

But before Wooyoung could even open his mouth, Taecyeon blurted out. “Wooyoungie has the most male fans,”

There was a beat of silence as Wooyoung glared at his hyung. “Seriously?”

“Would it be weird if I say I’m not that surprised?” Jaebum’s voice came out cautious, very cautious, but there was still that hint of confidence and amusement. Especially considering the upward quirk of the corners of his lips. 

“Excuse me?” Wooyoung narrowed his eyes, but he didn’t want to make the other man feel uncomfortable so he allowed a tiny smile to break through. 

Jaebum shrugged, and then Junho piped up. “It’s ‘cause you look like a girl,”

“Yah!” Wooyoung whined, he would throw something at the other boy but they were in a public place, his only defense was his words, and maybe Minjun. “You’re the girly one in this group, you’re like another mom!”

“That means I’m a woman, you’re still the girl !”

“Aish, this is why we don’t go out to eat often,” Nichkhun groaned, but there was a smile playing on his lips. Jaebum let out a small laugh at the bickering, his previously tense posture loosening up a little. Wooyoung supposed he wouldn’t mind being embarrassed if this was the outcome.

“You guys are kids,” Chansung said. 

“You’re the youngest!” Taecyeon pointed out. 

“Not in the mind,” Chansung tapped the side of his head and then received a wack from Junho, who had always taken a liking to beating up s. Things became way more social after that as the members continued to talk. Jaebum was talking, not a lot, but it was still something. They wouldn’t be able to fix this broken relationship in one lunch. 

Their schedule was cleared for the rest of the day, they had only gotten the news yesterday night. Wooyoung wondered if he should mention it now, in front of Jaebum, perhaps they could spend the rest of the day together also. Well not for him, he still had to go to the dance studio for a little while but that was at around seven, plenty of time left. But would everyone be comfortable with the idea of spending the day with Jaebum? Would Jaebum be comfortable with them ? He eyed the bruise on his forearm as he thought about his idea, brushing his fingers lightly over the purple coloured skin. Dance practice had been brutal to him as of lately, he’d been having to go extra hours to learn tricks, to choreograph and that on top of 2pm’s schedule where they were learning more ‘hardcore’ dances to appeal to the ‘entire’ audience, AKA the male fans. But it was worth it, it was all going to be worth it in the end. 

He honestly couldn’t wait for the end, where he’d get to lie down on a bed and calmly go to sleep early with the knowledge that his fans were satisfied, his management was satisfied, his members were satisfied. For now, he just had to wade through the murky waters. Wooyoung yawned again, but this time he made sure to do it discreetly so no one would notice. It was a happy moment, he wasn’t going to let his sore body which really wasn’t even that sore, stop him. 

“Your schedule is cleared too, right?” suddenly Minjun asked Wooyoung, the rest of the members looked at him expectantly, including Jaebum who had an odd analysing look in his eyes. 

“Sure,” Wooyoung replied, he pursed his lips as their attention stayed on him. “Why?”

“We’ll hang out after lunch too, weren’t you listening?” Minjun answered. 

“What is this, school?” Chansung teased Minjun’s choice of words. Wooyoung grinned and joined in as several of the members tried to imitate the poor eldest, well eldest of the current group as Jaebum was also here. Speaking of the former leader, he had changed. Wooyoung observed the other man’s gruffer voice, his hardened appearance and sharp movements not only in dance but in real life. The way his hand moved to grasp his cup of coffee or to hold his fork, the veins that bulge and the rough edges of his fingers. 

Wooyoung tilted his head, the former leader, he had changed. 

They finished lunch more quickly, now that they knew they had the rest of the day they didn’t want to waste time eating food. Though no member would admit that. They all packed up and set off down the street, chattering animatedly on their way to the bowling alley which they decided they would spend some time in. 

Wooyoung tried to project the same energy, but the toll of last week’s high level practice was finally on him. He fell a little behind, head down but with a bright smile, because how couldn’t he smile? It had been a while since they’d all hung out like this. Jaebum, being one of the more quiet ones, fell into step with him and they both walked a little away from the five others. The shorter man looked pointedly at the bruise on Wooyoung’s arm, and then with squinted eyes that struggled to mask the concern in his irises. Wooyoung smiled back, and put a little bounce in his step to take off the serious tone which Jaebum’s stance had taken. “Everything’s fine,”

“You look tired Wooyoung-ah,” Jaebum voiced with sad eyes surrounded by dark circles and a forlorn feeling that adorned the shape of his mouth. 

Wooyoung gulped, the genuinity of Jaebum’s voice had surprised him and he hadn’t a response nor physical reaction to acknowledge the other’s words. It took him a moment, but he opened his mouth. “Everything is fine,” he repeated.