To Be A Side Character

It's The Afternoon

Chansung watched as the rest of s paced the living room area. Minjun and Taecyeon had guilt written over their faces and Nichkhun a worried look. Junho, on the other hand, looked like he was goingt to murder someone. Which he might, and that someone may be Wooyoung. The maknae had been surprised when he found out that he was the only one Wooyoung had texted back, honestly, he thought he’d be the last choice. 

“Maybe if we’re all here, we would overwhelm him,” Chansung voiced, suddenly feeling a whoosh of appreciation for the other and wanting to pay him back in that same happiness which Wooyoung had given him by replying to only him. The man knew he was overthinking and that this was not the situation to be glad for this to occur, but he felt touched and there was a sort of giddiness in the back of his mind. Of course, he was a little worried for Wooyoung too because he had stayed back a long time and he had been ignoring all texts and calls for about an hour, but the man had said he was fine. Though that didn’t mean he actually was, Chansung spoke from experience. The others nodded in regards to what he’d said but no one made a move to leave. Chansung rolled his eyes but he determinedly said. “I’m staying,”

“I think Minjun and I should stay as well,” Taecyeon murmured, but it was more of a question. Nichkhun and Junho left, albeit a little stormy. Then Minjun moved to go after them to Taecyeon’s surprise, who grabbed the shorter’s wrist. “You’re good at this, you should stay,”

But Minjun gave a small smile and some exchange passed between them through their looks which Chansung could not decipher, and in the end it was him and Taecyeon waiting. 

“Sorry,” Taecyeon said, sincere eyes emphasizing the severity of his words. Chansung was taken aback, the other had already apologized before but nonetheless, the maknae gave him what he hoped was a relieving smile once again. They all made mistakes, especially him, he wasn’t going to hold it over someone else. “I get too much sometimes,”

Chansung’s mouth fell open, but he quickly recovered and said. “We all do hyung,”. His mind was suddenly whirling with those five words. The way Taec had said it wasn’t just self-awareness, it was sadness, how could Taecyeon ever believe that he ‘got too much’? How could he ever think of himself in that absolutely heart crushing tone of voice? Not when Taecyeon was amazing, he was responsible, funny, talented, the list was endless. And seeing his hyung’s ashamed face, Chansung wanted to grab him by the shoulders and yell those words loud enough that they would be serrated into his mind. But Chansung didn’t want to be an inconvenience, and he was probably overthinking, as he always did. 

Few seconds passed by and the youngest couldn’t just stay there, yet he couldn’t make himself do what he wanted to do. “You’re amazing,”

Taecyeon’s head snapped up in surprise. “Yeah, you better have heard it because I’m never saying that again,” Chansung quickly covered his previous statement, his ears burning, why did he have to be so bad at this? He was only ruining it. But even if he , at least the grin on Taecyeon’s face made up for it. 

“I’ll never forget it, don’t worry,” Taecyeon tried to give him a smirk, but a sincere smile made its way through and Chansung had to remind himself the smile wasn’t because of him. Taecyeon had just had a down moment, but like always, the man had lifted himself up because he was resilient like that. Chansung couldn’t bear to take Taec’s credit. They talked now for a little while, Taecyeon was chatty as always and Chansung didn’t want to disappoint him but it’s not like he minded talking either. They continued until a small creak drew their attention away. 

Wooyoung entered all sweaty and nervous, he darted inside and shot them a sheepish smile as they gave him a deadpan stare. Chansung raised both his eyebrows as Wooyoung tightly clenched hands around his phone but his look went unnoticed as he always did. 

“Oh, we’ve got to talk,” Taecyeon boomed but then immediately a regretful facial expression took over. “Sorry that sounded more responsible brother like in my head,” Wooyoung let out a shake laugh, he walked over to them slowly as if weighing each step. Taecyeon didn’t even wait for the other to talk before rambling out an apology, and it sounded so heartfelt that Chansung felt like he was intruding on an exchange that should happen between the two older men. But then would he look like a douche if he left? He might, he didn’t want to, he wasn’t one. At least he thought he wasn’t one. 

“It’s okay, I just lost track of time,” Wooyoung said as Taec finished, he flashed a wide smile (albeit a little too stretched according to Chansung) but it did seem genuine. They hugged once and Chansung awkwardly shifted on his feet, unsure of why he had decided to stay back in the first place when he wasn’t going to contribute anything. 

“Oh wait, I have to call the manager about this other thing, I’ll be back,” Taecyeon excused himself, eyes showing a spark of sadness but it was gone so quick Chansung was sure he was projecting onto the other man. Wooyoung turned towards the maknae, still bright but there was something going on. Chansung had been apprehensive before but now he could tell through his thick skull that there was something wrong. Wooyoung’s posture was a little too rigid, his forehead a little too sweaty, his fingers a little too fidgety and his eyes a little too droopy. Something had happened, something which the other had failed to mention or purposely not mentioned. Chansung fought within himself whether he should ask or not, he didn’t want to be pushy, but before he could completely decide his body blurted out the words. 

“What happened?”

Wooyoung seemed taken aback, losing some of the tension in his composure before returning to normal. “I don’t kn-”

“Really?” Chansung was a little shocked at his own forwardness, but it seemed to be working, he hoped. Wooyoung opened his mouth, then closed it, deep in thought. Chansung’s breath quickened, he had messed it all up, hadn’t he. He always did, he really needed to think before he spoke because otherwise here he was, being a complete douche. The only thing that snapped him out of his deprecating stupor was Wooyoung’s hesitant voice. 

“Okay, don’t tell anyone,” Wooyoung’s eyes glanced at the hallway which Taecyeon had disappeared down. “Junho told me he’d flay me if I hide stuff, I may have fell asleep during dancing,”

“Fell asleep?” the look on Chansung’s face was incredulous. “You mean fainted?”

Wooyoung didn’t say anything and panic flared up in Chansung, had he pushed too much? But at the same time, yah his hyung acted younger than him. Chansung didn’t care if Wooyoung disliked him now, the older’s safety was on the line. Wooyoung winced as Chansung’s disappointed look landed its mark on him. Chansung doubtedly spoke, then firmer. “I won’t tell anyone without your permission, but you are in trouble.”

“I’m still your hyung, Chansungie.” Wooyoung used a commanding tone but the youngest knew he didn’t mean it so seriously and was only trying to counter Chansung’s tone. The maknae receded, he didn’t like sounding like a dad, it felt weird. But still, he was legitimately concerned about the other’s wellbeing. He knew Wooyoung was exhausted from his schedule but this was… Chansung just wanted to wrap the older man in blankets and do something good for him for once. 

He shook his head, and started speculating how to go about his plan only to be met with Wooyoung’s teasing look which promptly led to preponing the plan.