The Actual Beginning

It's The Afternoon

Fans got too much sometimes. 

Minjun groaned as he made his way through, people grabbing at him, scratching him. He loved their support but their ways to show enthusiasm didn’t always enthuse him. When he finally reached the stage, he jumped away from them, with a smile on his face of course. If he let them know right now that they were harming him, management would cut off his head. He winced as he caught sight of Junho and Wooyoung, who were in similar shape to him. 

“Here,” Nichkhun held out a napkin for him, which Minjun gladly accepted. “Wooyoung was bleeding and I figured you are too,” 

“Thanks,” Minjun dabbed it on his arms, fans had sharp fingernails. Taecyeon started the ending speech, full of sincerity as always. Because even if fans may do things like this, they all couldn’t help but feel like they owe them a thanks for actually paying attention to them. 

“Thank you for attending, we are 2pm!” the boys chorused together and left the stage laughing and waving. Taecyeon frowned when he viewed Minjun, Junho and Wooyoung who all had been the victims of the fans’ grabby hands. Even Chansung had a few scratches on his arm but not nearly as much as those three. Minjun had tried to stop Junho (and Wooyoung who quickly followed) from going that close to the fans and ended up being caught in the crowd himself. He shook his head, and once again the wish for a leader crossed his head. 

The pang of pain he felt must’ve shown because Nichkhun gave him another worried look, Minjun quickly conjured a smile to relax the foreign man. What was done was done, the oldest reminded himself, the responsibility was on him and he could not run away from this. Not like he’d want to ever leave his family. 

“Come on, Taecyeon said he has some announcement,” Wooyoung bumped against Minjun, gentle smile and a spot of smudged blood on his cheek. The elder used the clean part of his napkin and wiped it away before being tugged along into the large van which the group used for transport most of the time. They filed in, Minjun ending up at the back along with Taecyeon and Junho. Everyone seemed to be riding out a high as the adrenaline from the concert faded. The maknaes talked enthusiastically and Minjun was reminded of the between him and them, it may be only two years but a lot can change in two years. Then finally, just as the van started to move the air conditioning took away the sweat beads on everyone’s foreheads, Taecyeon cleared his throat and called for attention. 

“We’re all meeting for lunch tomorrow, yes?” Taecyeon waited for each member to nod or hum before continuing. “Well, I thought- I mean- Jaebum hyung will be joining us.”

Silence hung in the air as each member looked at Taecyeon with disbelief. Minjun’s eyes narrowed, this was sudden, and suspicious. And why was he not told about any of this before? After the man in question had left 2pm, Minjun and Taecyeon had both filled his place and former position unofficially, but it was known between the group as well as the fanbase. 

“What?” Chansung finally broke the lingering quiet, there was no expression on his face aside from the small light in his eyes. That single word broke the dam and everyone was spilling out their questions (suspicions in Junho’s case) and thoughts. 

“It’s been a while, we’ve all matured a little. It’ll be nice to reconnect,” Taecyeon shrugged, answering Minjun’s unvoiced question of why?

“Don’t you think we should’ve known about this before?” Minjun asked, there was a venomous taste in his mouth as he spoke but thankfully no one paid it any attention. He had to get his feelings under control, he should be glad that Taecyeon was reaching out, should be glad that he would be able to properly see Jay again. And he was, he was actually proud in some way. But there in a little garden residing at the back of his mind, a small fern of envy had been planted (by whom it didn’t matter) and he had a hard time burying it. 

“I just, I didn’t know if everyone was going to agree and I really wanted you all to give it a chance,” Taecyeon grimaced. “Sorry,”

“It’s quite a surprise,” Junho muttered, his stance was wary just as he thought about the problem and Minjun couldn’t blame him when he felt the same. The both of them were the ones most equated with the idea of family, protective too, and this man -while always there with them somehow- had left that family. It had been a slow retreat, promises of keeping in touch as contact got less and less while the new dynamic clicked into place permanently, each of them covering the gap that Jaebum had left after accepting this was not temporary. 

“Why are you all so glum?” Wooyoung frowned at their frowns, and with his next sentence his face brightened in an attempt for them to mirror his optimism as he had mirrored their pessimism. “This is great! Plus, it’s all casual so there’s nothing to be worried about here,”

“You’re right, we should look forward to this happily,” Chansung eagerly agreed, and that was enough to convince Nichkhun to give up his pensive face. 

Wooyoung nudged Minjun, giving an encouraging smile. Minjun tried to imitate his look, but he must’ve failed as Wooyoung grabbed his hands and gave him a squeeze. The older man had missed having him around, Wooyoung’s schedule was so busy he hardly got to spend off time with the rest of the members. And when he did, he was usually coerced into sleeping because damn the kid was tired. Minjun shook his head, a small smile forming on his face. He was only two years older, perhaps people were right to call him a ‘grandpa’. Wooyoung pulled away as Minjun’s face lost the tightness it held. 

“He knows we’re all going to be there, right?” Junho’s cautious voice filtered in. Taecyeon nodded vigorously, full of energy now that everyone seemed to be past their negative thinking phase, well mostly. 

“He’s looking forward to it,” Taecyeon said softly. Minjun didn’t miss the fondness that took over his eyes and smile, he and Nickhun had been closest to Jaebum. Said by Jaebum himself after he left. Minjun had tried to be understanding, he couldn’t be the best for everyone, but it had hurt him that Jaebum hadn’t even mentioned him when he thought that they had a special bond from being the two oldest of the group. Of course, Jaebum would’ve coordinated with Taecyeon about this. Of course…

This was getting out of hand, he was getting out of hand. Minjun squared his shoulders and joined in the current conversation which had fortunately steered away from their former leader. He let the grin beginning on his face take over and welcomed the happiness as he joked around with s.