let the cramming begin.

damn paper

 

Soyeon really shouldn’t have waited until the very last moment to finish her paper.

 

Granted, she did have other requirements that needed to be prioritized first and foremost. But those were already submitted no less than several days ago.

 

And yet, here she is – three cans of double-shot espresso stand empty beside her laptop, and her eyes are straining at the bright LED screen in front of her; one side opened to a Google Docs file, then the other to twelve different tabs about her assigned topics on her web browser – working on her 20-page report at one in the ing morning, when she can be in bed right now snoring away like Sleeping Beauty.

 

Ladies and gentlemen, master procrastinator Jeon Soyeon. Back at it again with her cramming tendencies in the wee hours of the day. A classic.

 

Seven more pages, Jeon. You can do this.

 

Her fingers whizz across the glowing keyboard of her laptop, clicking and clacking loudly as she rephrased this and edited that. Tweaking parts of her heinous report until she was satisfied with them. For a procrastinator, Soyeon is also a perfectionist. A bit ironic, really, since she often needed more time to produce a quality output of her standards. Thankfully, her Friday class always starts around noon so she still has time to print this bad boy out before running all the way there like an Olympic athlete.

 

When Soyeon feels her consciousness slipping away at page 15 over 20 (midway through her rather passionate essay about how e-commerce apps are essentially the gateway for big capitalist corporations to steal consumer data for their own profit – no, this is not based on her own personal experience), the head of a familiar individual pops up from behind her laptop screen. She squints her eyes over it to get a better look while pushing up the circle eyeglasses that are sliding down her nose bridge.

 

“Soyeonnie…?”

 

A soft, delicate voice breaks through the still silence of her dorm room as Seo Soojin comes into view, padding towards the small dining table in her cherry-print pajamas as she tiredly rubs the drowsiness from her half-lidded eyes.

 

“Why are you still awake?”

 

Soyeon blinks several times until her eyes focus on Soojin’s sleepy but oh, so gorgeous face. There are still some traces of sleep left, but the older girl looks mostly worried and just a tad annoyed. Understandable, really, given that Soojin had been pestering Soyeon earlier to finish her damn paper already. But alas, the stubborn raven just played League all afternoon with Yuqi and Shuhua at their dorm – at least until their own girlfriends, Minnie and Miyeon, dragged both the maknaes out to help with their own schoolwork. Math isn’t their strongest subject, after all.

 

“I should be asking you the same question, Jinnie.” Soyeon lightly pushes her index finger against Soojin’s forehead after the blonde pulls over a chair and sits next to her, the gesture earning Soyeon a small grunt as the latter swats her hand aside.

 

“Are you cramming your paper again?” Soojin asks (demands, really) with a raised brow, her eyes slightly narrowing when Soyeon nods sheepishly. “Jeon Soyeon, what did I tell you about procrastinating?”

 

“It just slipped my mind, okay?” Soyeon tries to lessen the blow by using the same excuse she’s been recycling since junior high. But it certainly doesn’t do her favors once Soojin frowns in mild disapproval, her chastising glare is more than enough for Soyeon to shrink back in her seat – which is a feat unto itself – as she lets out an involuntary whimper.

 

Behind that sweet, often shy demeanor is a lioness with the claws to make others cower in fear. And even Soyeon herself isn’t exempted from her girlfriend’s wrath.

 

“Err… I’m sorry?” She timidly smiles in a weak attempt to get back in Soojin’s good graces, not that it really changed anything in the slightest. “I’m almost done with it, I swear.”

 

Soojin doesn’t seem convinced at all. “You said that hours ago, Soyeonnie. You don’t look too good.”

 

Soyeon feigns offense. “Excuse you. I always look good.”

 

Shaking her head, Soojin just smiles faintly. Vaguely exasperated, but overly fond. It’s no secret that Soyeon, although intimidating and charismatic in person, is actually a real softie behind closed doors and folded like paper in Soojin’s presence. The blonde-haired beauty has Soyeon wrapped around her finger, and they’re both fully aware of that.

 

“Just finish your paper, you little baby.” Soojin laughs through her nose before laying her head on Soyeon’s shoulder. She stares blankly at whatever word vomit her girlfriend has dumped into her Docs file and watches as Soyeon’s fingers continue to type away at a rapid pace.

 

“Don’t you want to go back to bed, love?” Soyeon asks while keeping her sights glued to her laptop screen, lest she gets distracted by the vixen beside her as Soojin’s arms belt around her waist in a loose hug. Soyeon reaches a hand up to entangle her fingers in Soojin’s wheat-blonde locks, which feels soft to the touch after being washed and smells like fresh citrus.

 

“It feels empty without you there.” Soojin whispers, her eyes closing when she feels those adorably small fingers brushing through her hair and petting her head.

 

Soyeon smiles softly as she resumes her work, gently scratching Soojin’s scalp with her free hand whilst the other is still flying across the backlit keys. Double-tasking in its finest.

 

“Alright. I won’t take too long, I promise.”

 

She angles her head a bit to press a quick kiss on the top of Soojin’s head. Unbeknownst to her, Soojin blushes at the affectionate touch and immediately presses more into her side; rubbing her smushed cheek against Soyeon’s shoulder as she hums in content.

 

Although Soojin prefers the warm comforts of their shared bed, she’d choose cuddling up to Soyeon over it any day. They’ve grown accustomed to holding each other close every night, in fact, that sleeping alone just doesn’t feel right anymore. Plus, Soyeon absolutely loves spooning Soyeon in bed because of the younger’s short stature. Like a teddy bear that fits snuggly in her embrace.

 

They stay this way for a couple of minutes until Soyeon – not wanting Soojin to feel uncomfortable – adjusts their positions so that she’s nestled right between her long legs. She snuggles happily against Soojin’s front as the blonde envelops her in a firm back hug.

 

“Don’t stay up too late…” Soojin mumbles before dropping her head onto Soyeon’s shoulder, face nuzzled in the crook of the other girl’s neck like an affectionate kitty.

 

Soyeon tries her best not to squirm at the feather-light breaths fanning across her skin.

 

“Y-Yeah, sure.” She stutters, then smiles like an idiot when Soojin hugs her tighter in response.

 

The shorter girl can already feel her stress slipping away as the tension leaves her body from the pleasant weight on her back, like a warm blanket cocooning her. All nice and snug. And, in a way, the companionable silence they share brings a sense of calm that washes over her. Soothing the dull ache in her head like a painkiller of sorts as it clears up her headspace from all its cluttered thoughts so she can concentrate properly.

 

Soyeon still hates this stupid paper, no doubt, but at least she feels a little better now. Especially since she’s not alone anymore.

 

The faint sound of snoring catches her attention minutes later, and Soyeon glances down at her shoulder to find Soojin already fast asleep. She chuckles fondly at the endearing sight and ever-so gently brushes aside her bangs to kiss her forehead, infinitely sweet and loving. Then she whispers a soft “goodnight” to her sleeping girlfriend before going back to her assignment.

 

A weary sigh escapes her lips. Another one of many.

 

Sixteen down, now four more to go…

 

This is going to be a very long night.

 

 

Come daylight, the sound of an alarm going off obnoxiously in her ear made Soyeon want to grab her phone and hurl the damn thing out her window. Nonetheless, she forces herself to move so she can hit the ‘snooze’ button on her phone screen before rubbing at her bleary eyes and muttering curses under her breath.

 

She’s probably been asleep for only four to three hours, but that’s the average amount of sleep a regular college student can get these days. So, really, she shouldn’t be complaining all that much.

 

I’m never cramming again.

 

Ha, what a lie of the century. Of course she’s going to do it again. Old habits die hard.

 

Soyeon had finished her report much earlier than she expected, so she planned to get as much shut-eye as she could before sprinting off to the printing office on her way to class. She gently urged Soojin awake from where the blonde had been practically draped around Soyeon’s back like a tarsier to a branch, and they both wasted no time jumping into bed for some well-deserved sleep. Soojin, as usual, spooned her smaller girlfriend whilst Soyeon cuddled up to her for maximum warmth and comfort.

 

Said girl groans in dismay at the prospect of having to leave her cozy confines. But as much as she really wants to stay in bed with Soojin, the paper isn’t going to submit itself.

 

“I’ll be back soon, Jinnie.” She whispers into Soojin’s ear, regardless of the fact that the latter isn’t awake to acknowledge it, before the top of her head and planting a soft kiss on Soojin’s temple.

 

It takes a lot of effort on Soyeon’s part to untangle herself from the bed without stirring the older girl awake (Soyeon be damned if she ruined the peace this early in the morning), but she manages to slip away undetected. Phew.

 

After throwing the fleece blanket back over Soojin’s curled up form, Soyeon takes a quick shower and gets dressed before heading out. As an afterthought (and also because she couldn’t help herself), Soyeon hurries back to Soojin and kisses her. This time, a light peck on the lips.

 

“Sleep well.” She smiles down at Soojin’s slumbering face before finally heading out.

 

Soojin doesn’t have any Friday classes in her schedule (lucky), so she’s free to sleep in until later. Soyeon, on the other hand, can just drop by her class to submit her paper, have her attendance checked, see if they have any new requirements due in the following week, then peace out for the rest of the day. Her professor was more than chill, anyway, and merely expected his students to just pass all their requirements on time above anything else. So, really, she doesn’t have a reason to stick around long.

 

The faster Soyeon does them, the quicker she’ll make it back to Soojin’s arms again. Right where she belongs.

 

No more than thirty minutes later, Soyeon finds herself being led back to the dorms by her dragging feet. Although she’s more than relieved to have her atrocious report ticked off her to-do list, Soyeon is still incredibly exhausted from her late-night cram session and appears to be on the verge of collapse any second now. A soft giggle is heard as soon as she shuts the door behind her, followed by Soojin appearing from the main room. Already wide awake and wearing those cherry pajamas that she loves so much.

 

“Morning, Soyeonnie.” She greets warmly, skipping over to kiss her weary girlfriend and smiling afterwards. “Were you able to submit your paper today?”

 

“Mhm…”

 

Soyeon hums against her lips as she tugs the taller girl into a lazy hug. Automatically, Soojin loops her arms around the shorter’s neck and brings their foreheads together. An amused laugh bubbles out from when Soyeon practically whines, her own arms belted around Soojin’s lithe waist as she stares up with a rare pout. An expression reserved only for her girlfriend to see.

 

“Tired?” Soojin asks, her voice light and teasing as she pets Soyeon’s head.

 

A small nod.

 

With a fond roll of her eyes, the blond-haired vixen gently coaxes her along. “Come on. Let’s get you tucked back in bed, you stubborn procrastinator.”

 

Seems like Soyeon is beyond tired, after all, judging by the lack of her usual rebuttal at a snark towards her as she allows Soojin to whisk her away in the direction of her own room. Lean but strong arms guide her smaller self over to the bed, where they gently push Soyeon down to lay on the comforters before moving to tuck her in with a blanket. The same one Soyeon had used to cover Soojin earlier that morning.

 

“I’d tell you to change, but you’re still wearing your pajamas anyway.” Soojin jests while carefully adjusting the pillow underneath Soyeon’s head after fluffing it up to make it less lumpy. “I pray to God you’re not wearing that same sweater from three days ago.”

 

“I threw that in the laundry yesterday, I think.” Soyeon answers in a muffled voice before yawning adorably into the fabric. “I’m wearing the one you gave me on my birthday. You know, with that cartoon broccoli smirking on it.”

 

Soojin barely holds back a snort. “You mean my gag gift?” She says with a simper. “I can’t believe you actually liked it.”

 

“I hate vegetables with every fiber of my being, but I gave it an exception ‘cuz it came from you. And besides, the design is kinda cute. A little dumb, sure, but still cute.”

 

“Please, I literally just found it at a discount store.”

 

“Well, I for one believe you scored a good bargain there.” Soyeon then makes grabby hands at Soojin who’s still hovering by her side with an affectionate look on her face. “Now get in here and cuddle me already.”

 

Soojin giggles again, but nonetheless abides to her girlfriend’s demand by allowing Soyeon to yank her into bed. She falls right into Soyeon’s welcoming embrace with an even bigger smile on her lips as they lay together once more. Close enough for Soyeon to drape half of her body on top of Soojin as she snuggles up against her, head tucked snugly beneath Soojin’s chin and their legs tangled loosely between each other’s, while Soojin combs a hand through her short hair.

 

“You baby…” The taller girl mumbles into her scalp as she gently tugs Soyeon closer by the waist, rustling the blanket that she’d tossed over them. “I should be scolding you right now for not listening to me again.”

 

“Not the first time I’ve done it, and it certainly won’t be the last either.” Soyeon announced all too proudly.

 

“Jeon Soyeon,” Soojin warns, but the smile pressed against the top of Soyeon’s head contrasts the sternness in her voice. “You’re such a mess sometimes.”

 

“A hot mess, you mean.”

 

Soojin clicks her tongue playfully. “Don’t push it.” She tells her, putting an end to that conversation before Soyeon could go tooting her own horn like she’d normally do. “Now go to sleep, hot stuff. You certainly need it after pulling that stunt of yours last night.”

 

“Yes, ma’am.” Soyeon nuzzles her girlfriend’s throat, a dopey little smile playing on her lips when she feels Soojin absently tracing her fingers along Soyeon’s back and pressing a few more kisses on her head to help her fall asleep.

 

This is definitely a lot better than that damn paper.