Chapter 1: Heart? Ppyong?

Our Summer


The warm air coupled with the salty air tickled my senses making my body relax as the air fill my lungs. Finally! After months of meeting deadlines and running errands for the company, it's time for my summer break!

 

My eyes wander back towards the noisy bunch behind me. What are those slowpokes doing? It's been such a long time since we properly had the time to be together and the first thing they want to do is argue? Shaking my head, I make my way towards them.

 

"What are you doing?"

 

As if possessed by meerkats, their heads turn to me in sync. Woah! Careful with the glares there, buddy.

 

"Aren't we going to the beach? I mean, didn't we come here to have fun? Not shout on each other."

 

Jaerim, with his ever-so-motherly tone, comes over towards me to sling his arms around my neck and looks me in the eye. "Sweetie, of course we came here to have fun. But, it's either you help everybody unpack or I'll let you go and have fun on your own without lunch nor dinner."

 

Swallowing a nervous lump in my throat, I turn to smile at him and raise my hands to my forehead to give him a salute. "No worries, mama. I'll unload everything."

 

As soon as gives me his usual smile, a sigh escapes my lips. Okay, him as a man is already scary but him as an angry mama; let's not even talk about it.

 

The next hour is spent with everyone unloading our bags from the van and unpacking it all in the cabin we booked which is surprisingly big enough for us. If I get the chance, I'll just live here. Look at this, the place is perfect; the whole cabin is spacious and airy and well-lit with natural sunlight, the smell of the beach and the little noises people make, and not to mention, the sea breeze that flutters the white, sheer curtains as well as the wind chime that hangs above the door. 

 

Rooms and roommates are then decided with a game of rock-paper-scissors. Well, except for mama and his boyfriend. I don't think it's a good idea to have them separated.

 

A moan escapes my lips as soon as my body's engulfed by a soft heaven called the bed. Man, this is nice. The soft sound of footsteps, the wind that enters through the slightly-opened window, and the hums of breath from my roommate lulls me to sleep as my body sinks farther down the mattress. 

 

The door slams open and my heart jumps from my ribcage making me sit up. What happened? What's going on? My vision catches someone by the door and there stands Dongyul, showing his teeth with a big grin. 

 

"Let's go!" 

 

My head throbs because of the sudden brightness and consciousness and this man wants me to go where? He half-runs to me before ruffling my hair and tugging my wrist. Resisting his pull for me to stand, I glare at him. What the heck are you doing? You just disturbed me from falling asleep, you idiot.

 

"Oh, come on. I thought you wanted to go swimming?" He says as he tugs me harder.

 

Swimming? Oh right! My eyes widen and I turn towards him. Slowly, my lips curl upwards making him raise his brows at me knowingly. Nodding my head - which he perfectly mimics - my smile widens into a full on grin before sprinting out the door. We're going to swim! Rapid footsteps follow me as I hear Dongyul shouts for me to slow down. No way! I'm just too excited for that.

 

Oh wait! I'm still on my jeans. Yep! Not approporiate for tackling the sea. Turning on my heel, my legs rush back to where I came firm.

 

"Yah! Where are you going?"

 

"I forgot my swimwear!"

 

~...~...~...~

High-pitched screams and laughter fill the air as the saltwater slaps my face. I think I've swallowed enough water to last me the whole vacation. My lungs ache as I cough out the excitement. After a long time, I can finally say that I'm enjoying myself. 

 

Taking a break, my eyes drifted towards the horizon. It's the late afternoon and the sun is almost setting. Pastel hues of different colors stretch out in the sky as gulls starts to head home. My eyes close and my lungs expands as I inhale the cold breeze.

 

A sudden thrill runs through my spine. Making sure that everyone is occupied, I let the water bury me and make my way farther from the beach. The water is so clear that you can make out the fishes that swim underneath. After a couple of , a lighter part of the sea invades my vision. What could that be? I swim towards it. 

 

Oh!

 

It's just an extended part of the beach where the water comes at my thighs. Would you look at that? Ain't that amazing? I'm pretty far of the beach and still I'm able to stand.

 

A call for attention suddenly fills the air. Looking up, no one's there. Looking towards my friends, no one cares. My eyes search for anyone that might've called me, turning in every direction my head physically can.

 

"Behind you!"

 

Behind me? Turning around, there's a small boat floating not far from here. Squinting, my head tries to make out whatever it is that calls me. There, by the deck, someone has their arms over their head as they wave frantically. Can they see me? Copying their enthusiasm, I waved back at them.

 

"Heart!"

 

Heart? What do they mean 'heart'? I put my hands on the top of my head to form the generic heart. Whoever is on the boat must've been satisfied because another request fills my ears.

 

"Ppyong!"

 

Ppyong? What the heck is that? Forget it. I did the first thing that comes to mind. Raising one of my legs and forming a gun with both of my hands, flicking it upwards as a high-toned "Ppyong!" escapes my lips.

 

Gosh, I must've looked stupid. My chest hums happily, laughing the creeping embarrasment away. Yup, I look ridiculous. 

 

Suddenly hearing my name, my attention turns back towards my friends who are cupping their mouths to call me back. Letting my body dive in the water, I swim my way towards them.

~...~...~...~

That night, as the sea breeze tickles my skin as it blows through the hem of my clothes. Music blasts from every direction, filling the atmosphere with incoherent tones. Bright neon lights dance in my vision, making me rely on familiar silhouttes. Happy tones and chorus of laughter surrounds our little group as we make fun of Jaehwa's overly printed outfit he passionately calls fashion. Before a teasing remark can escape my lips, a force bumps me making me fall forward. What the?! Thankfully, something firm wraps around my waist halting me from making out with the sand. 

 

Who the heck bumped me?! Can't they look where they're going? Turning around to confront whoever it is that breaks my happiness, my breath stops as I came face to face with a man - big eyes, high nose, and blonde, almost platinum, hair.