♬♩♪ 05

Sound of the Sea

CHAPTER FIVE

About Time

If a strong gaze can kill a human’s mental, it should at least break a glass. Peering over the transparent door, a form of regret taints his mind. It is Sunday morning and rain takes over. Why does the rain have to come by today? And why does it look like it will rain forever? Please don’t foil his plan. He needs to have the audition up and running. They barely started on preparation. Not that he can do more than pasting the poster on the glass pane. After he is done, he returns to the studio.

The bracelet hangs on Yoongi’s finger. Hours of darkness passed and he is aware that the owner must be frantically going around trying to solve the problem he created. The male sheepishly smiles as his eyes fix on the main charm attached on it and bring out his necklace.

He knows the person who is searching for the rare accessory. Not to a point where he acknowledges her in a personal way but he knows her and he is sure the girl knows him too. He can recall her name. He can recall bits of memories he had with her. That is the littlest fact he knows.

“Goodness, the rain couldn’t be any worse than that, right?” Yoongi snapped out of his train of thoughts and instinctively shoves the bracelet into his back pocket. Taehyung shakes his head, drying off his hair before tossing his coat in the corner of the room. “You’re early. I thought you were Seokjin.”

“I can’t sleep.” The leader admitted. He has various reasons for not being able to sleep. Among them is a topic which he rather talked to Namjoon once the audition settles. Instead of lingering on the stillness, he continues, “Seokjin doesn’t fetch you and Jungkook today? He’s always with you.”

“Oh,” Taehyung shortly replied, already distracting himself by pulling an oblong table tucked on the right side of the room. It doesn’t take Yoongi too long to instantly help the bassist to set up for the audition. “He said he has a morning errand to run. He’ll probably get us snacks when he comes in later.” 

“Where is Jungkook though?”

“He might be stuck because of the rain. He did tell me that Jimin is coming. Maybe they’re coming together.”

“I thought Jimin has a morning class to teach. Why on Earth would he be waiting for the guy?” Yoongi responded as he plays with the audio mixing board not far from Taehyung who is fixing the cables by the PA system.

“Oh, you’ll be surprised today.” The younger fellow told him and follows the older male’s action by picking up random clutters that are seen around the studio. As someone who is not a fan of silence, Taehyung throws a couple of hopeful glances at Yoongi.

“Are you expecting anyone today?” He tried to start a new topic to converse.

Yoongi stops playing the knobs on the mixer to ponder. He should say he does expect someone to come for the audition. Yet judging on the gloomy weather, his hope dissipates. Maybe this audition is going to be another failure, concludes pessimistically. It is at this kind of time he wishes he has more musically inclined friends than the ones he has now.

“Well, do you?” The leader decided to ask instead and Taehyung smiles a little. “I am but I don’t want to put such high hope.”

Funny he said that. Both of them are expecting a person to walk in and both are not placing a high expectation on them to come. They have a lot in common. More than Yoongi thinks they have.

 


 

The squeaky windshield wipers accompany Seokjin as he drives through the concrete jungle in the city. He instantly turns them off by the time the drizzle halts for the day. He rather not question how seemingly dry the roads are in comparison to the road back at home. His mind has plenty of things to skim and he is sincerely glad that it is not entirely scorching for him to walk to his destination after he parks the van.

The Lake Performing Arts Centre’s building is located by a small city park with a lake. To his luck, he always has difficulty to get a decent spot to place his four-wheeled vehicle. His work schedule isn’t your typical nine to five. Depending on his role in the production, sometimes he doesn’t have to be there during the day. Because of that, he prefers spending his free time to take a long walk.

The walk gives him the needed alone time. He doesn’t have a lot of time in hand, to be honest. Heading to TLPAC on his off day, Seokjin has to fetch his external hard drive which he left by accident in his office and other necessary things for work. Since Hoseok is not in this season’s Purple Rain Production team, he is given the responsibility to learn a fellow resident stage manager’s job for the time being.

“Do you need any other help? I can email to you the rehearsal reports from the previous production if you want it to guide you through. It’s your first time as the stage manager after all.” Hoseok handed Seokjin a black hardcover ring file. He is fortunate to have someone like Hoseok to assist him on that matter. He can’t imagine it being any of the other resident stage managers to help him. No one would understand his work schedule.

“Is there any difference from the weekly company report?” Seokjin asked as he attempts to balance the file in his hold since it is too big for his bag while still searching for his hard disk. “It is very different. But it’s nothing you can’t handle. When it gets overwhelming, you can always request an assistant from the production manager.”

“Hoseok,” The older fellow looks at the younger once he finds his hard disk. “I am still the production manager. I always make sure you SMs have assistants. Obviously, I will need one too especially with the band’s current state. I might have to burst my brain to figure out a rehearsal schedule for it to fit everyone.”

“Ah, I see you’re already good on your own. Anyway, isn’t that audition today?”

“Yeah, it is. Which is why I asked you last night if you can make it today.”

“You have to drive me there. I don’t know my way around the area to find your studio. Do you bring your van today?” Hoseok and Seokjin continued their conversation as they walk down the stairs. Being at the performing arts centre so early, no one is around, save for a couple of familiar interns that are changing the event posters around the area.

“It just came across my mind. Why aren’t you guys using the company’s studio for the audition? You know well there are more chances of people turning up.” Hoseok questioned as he pushes the door open and lets Seokjin walk ahead of him. “Yoongi doesn’t want anyone from the city come for the audition. Something about it will take them a long time to come for practices. He’s difficult to gain trust in new people.”

“Does that include me? I’m a new person to him too, you know?”

“You’re alright. I know you best and that is enough to convince him. Besides, I feel like you guys would make good friends.” He chuckles knowingly. He can sense it in his guts that Yoongi will throw a mini tantrum when he realises Seokjin recruited Hoseok as their band manager yet he will agree with it anyway.

“Hey Seok, can you wait in the van? I have to buy snacks for the guys.” Seokjin told his friend and once he gets a nod from Hoseok, he dashes off. At least he doesn’t forget his promise completely. After all, he owes Hoseok too for dragging him into the mess.

The nearest convenience store to his parked van is across a level crossing. It is one of the most used crossings within the city area. So, it will take a minute to wait for the level to rise. For the time being, Seokjin stands metres away and looks around before his eyes lands on a figure on the opposite side.

He has no idea why his eyes decide to fix on her. He would like to think maybe he has seen her somewhere before. Maybe she is one of the performers from the previous mini-concert held in TLPAC under PR Production. She must have been. If she does, it is quite unfortunate because she must be a city person.

The level crossing hoists up once a train passes and Seokjin follows her with his eyes. She wouldn’t remember him if she did perform at the company he works in. He is not anyone who was in contact, face to face, with any talents that come. The one time he would meet them are when he hands over their one-time paychecks.

A thud.

It is light yet it catches his attention after a beat. Glancing to the source, Seokjin tries to call her once he finds a red notebook on the ground. He crouches and reaches for the fallen object. Seeing how a bit wore out the book is, he assumes it is important to her. Some sort of information about the owner should be in the notebook, right? He thought. And he takes a peek at a few pages of the content, with optimism.

To his surprise, he sees a flyer of BTS’s audition tucked under a red rubber band on the back cover of the notebook. He will see her soon.

 


 

He supposed that this stillness in the air would be replaced by a sound. Any sound. However, the only sound that comes through his ear canals is the light drizzle knocking on the small window above him. Yoongi’s squint at the sight of Taehyung on his phone, probably as bored as him, waiting for their friends’ arrival.

And new faces to walk into their audition which is starting already to be honest.

The two’s ears perk at the door’s direction where they catch Seokjin’s figure entering the studio with his arms full of coffee and snacks. Taehyung rushes over, emptying the eldest’s arms before he glances beyond his shoulder.

“Is he with you?” Taehyung asked as his eyes never have the intention to leave the new face. “Is he here for the audition?” He adds when Seokjin merely walks pass the bassist with the unknown figure tailing behind his friend like a lost pup.

“Oh, he’s our new band manager, Jung Hoseok.” Seokjin casually sips his drink and Hoseok meekly waves as a form of introduction. It is weird, the manager thought because he low-key expecting for a much…colder welcome. Well, if the intense stare from the leader at the back of his head is considered as such, and then he gets what he wants.

“I don’t remember recruiting a band manager is a part of the audition, Kim Seokjin.”

Oh shoot, a full name basis. Yoongi doesn’t appear amuse but seeing Seokjin maintaining a very calm façade makes Taehyung nervous even more. His mind chooses to think if his idea is good considering the so-called requirement Yoongi has outspokenly put out beforehand.

“This audition is not a part of our official plan for the band. Besides, you among all should realise it is about time we have a band manager. Hoseok knows a lot about us. He’s one of the closest people I have in Purple Rain to be called a friend. He is staying with BTS no matter what your opinion is.” The eldest stated in seriousness.

There is tension in the air and the bassist knows how uncomfortable it is for the new manager. So he opts to lightly drag him out of the room as if he can read the eye contact battle happening between them. Before they can make a full exit, the door suddenly opens. A louder pound of the rain form the glass door fills the space and all eyes are by the entrance.

“Everyone, leave.”

That is what they heard the leader said.

 


 

“So, it is you.”

Yoongi begins, slowly, as he registers the female figure that has been standing in front of him for the whole moment. He advances towards her and brings out the bracelet from his pocket before signalling her to give him her hand. Once he manages to clasp the accessory on her wrist, he hears a sigh.

“Do you realise that you made me panicked since last night?”

“Sorry.”

The girl shakes her head and returns her hand to the side. His eyes maintain on the dangling charm. It is too overwhelming for him to comprehend the situation. This scenario is unlocking his old, wounded memories. The ones he swears to keep locked for all his life. Seeing her in front of him, seeing the unwavering weather, recalling the pile of letters hidden in Namjoon’s office – he senses importance in this turn of event.

“It’s about time, you know.” She spoke in the same hush manner. She sees the way his saddened gaze switches almost instantaneously at her statement. Yoongi knows what she is talking about, she can tell from how his head turns to look anywhere but her face. It pains her to watch him like this. She isn’t fond of her position too.

“If you’re not here for the audition, you can leave now. I can’t keep my friends out in that cramped stairwell.” Yoongi voiced, strictly, still not meeting her eyes. Of course, she thought. She should have made her reason to be present clearer.

“Yoon,” She called and she can tell he tries so hard not to look at her. “I am here for the band’s audition.”

Yoongi wishes that she is lying to him. Sure, he was the one who indirectly gave her the flyer. It doesn’t slide in his mind that she would even bother being with him. She does enter in his life at the wrong time.

‘Why are you doing this to me, Min Yoora?

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚.

CuriousCat