♬♩♪ 04

Sound of the Sea

CHAPTER FOUR

Lost

Namjoon is not the best at predicting the weather. Yoongi doesn’t blame him for the wrong forecast. He isn’t born with such power. The fellow, however, frowned at the strange pattern for the last couple of days. Once it was sunny before it drizzled in the evening. Sometimes it prolonged until the night. With the unpredictable scene, it is tough for the band to perform at the park.

Seokjin has assured the band that the studio’s owner let them off for a couple of weeks. The half paid rent must be paid fully at the end of the month and luckily for them, the bill was not high since they spent most of their time out and about. Save for Jungkook who used a single light in the room to play his drums leisurely or practised his composition skill.

The leader though surprisingly stayed out of the vicinity during these days. His mind has been swarmed by the thoughts regarding the band’s audition that he realises he hasn’t produced anything new. That alone is strange. To feel like someone has his creative juice out, that is a fresh feeling. And he hates it. Because of that, he follows the oldest member of the band’s suggestion.

Take a break.

They are supposed to be at the park at the time. Seokjin is very persuasive and it is difficult to say no to him. By the end of the day, they are friends and not merely bandmates. Seokjin had to drag Yoongi out of his apartment to force him to join the members’ so-called off day. They worked hard for the band’s finance too so why not have a day, relaxing at the beach? Besides, they are invited to perform later at night.

“Are you not going to join them? For someone who loves the sea, I never see you play in the water before.” Seokjin sits on the empty space on Yoongi left side. There is a soft hiss as he opens the canned drink which he then takes a sip. Their eyes remain on the younger boys, playing by the shore.

“I don’t feel like it. How about you? I never see you doing it too.” Yoongi argued and turns his attention to Seokjin fully. “I don’t really feel the need to waste energy for tonight. Besides, I don’t want to get tanned. I don’t have sunscreen with me.” He factually replied, eyeing on his arms to emphasise his statement. Yoongi lightly chuckles. He knows the other doesn’t mean it entirely. He never minded getting a free tan.

Kim Seokjin is just lazy. That is it.

“I wonder what kind of person will replace Sujeong.” Seokjin voiced which Yoongi rolls his eyes. He dislikes the idea of replacement. To him, it is impossible to replace her.

Ryu Sujeong, a former vocalist and guitarist of BTS. She came along after a good influence made by Taehyung. The girl was busking alone on one autumn night. The leader had always wanted a female member in the band. For variance, he stated. The statement still stands. She has an exceptionally unique vocal colour and presence. People liked her.

No, people loved her.

“We’re not replacing her, Jin. We’re recruiting a new member.” Yoongi retorted. A tad disappointed with how s seem to see it in such way.

“Of course,” Seokjin shortly replies, “But we need to accept that as much as you want to deny it. We are finding someone to fill in her spot. She might not be our Sujeong but at least someone who has the same ability as her is nice.” He smiles at the thought of their former member. He then finds Yoongi already lying on the towel sprawled on the sand which he quickly follows.

“I hope she’s doing fine out there,” Seokjin said unconsciously that turns Yoongi’s head slightly to him, silencing the sound of the waves of metres away, to glance at the older. Only then he realises Seokjin doesn’t acknowledge what actually happened to her. So he lets out a relieved sigh before switching his view back to the sky and says, “I hope so too.”

 


 

It is the annual street summer festival. Hold under the beautiful blanket of a starry sky, people resided within the area gather around merrily as the children light up their sparklers while the adults supervise and tend the stands, selling accessories and food alike. BTS’s slot for the night performance is towards the end of the event. There are other bands performing for the time being so they walk around the festival ground to lengthen their happiness at the beach.

“Oh, look! This necklace looks like the ones I gave to Jimin for his birthday!” Taehyung hollered when they pause at a stand displaying colourful shells and artificial corals in a form of wearable accessories like necklaces and earrings, and for home decorations too. Jimin, who casually joined the band after Taehyung and Jungkook’s swim session, takes a glance at the mentioned jewellery.

It is indeed the same shell necklace and Taehyung pouts when he notices Jimin isn’t wearing it. It is the weekend. Meaning Jimin had the day as a teacher so rather not risk wearing the gift when the kids are hard to control. He is the most likeable teacher after all. Not long after, Seokjin too peeks at the exchange between the two friends.

Yoongi quietly stays at his spot. Instinctively, he brings his hand closer to his chest and feels his conch shell necklace. A sudden wave of worry washes upon him at the thought of having them missing as said by Jimin. It will not be much of a problem to the dancer, Yoongi assumes. It will be a major problem if it happens to him though. He lets a long sigh escape him when he is preoccupied with his thought.

Standing with wide eyes filled with genuine fascination is Jungkook. It takes Yoongi a minute to notice the boy is even there with him. His eyes trail on the booth where their friends are for a brief second and he swears there is a change in the way the younger’s eyes wander beforehand. When their eyes meet finally, Jungkook’s lips tighten.

“You miss it, huh?” Yoongi spoke and Jungkook curtly smiles. It is not his typical bright smile but it is enough. Jungkook isn’t feeling his best for the past few days too and he is nowhere in the group chat. That is a lot coming from someone who always has his phone glued to his hand.

The festival?” Jungkook signed, a bit surprised at the question, to be honest. The question itself is vague so he gave another to make sure he sees where the conversation is heading. Yoongi nods.

I guess I am. I missed it twice when I was away. But it is still lively as the last time I’ve been here.” The young one said quietly. His eyes linger for a beat at their friends before eyeing on his surroundings. Yoongi has a sense there is something that keeps on pulling Jungkook back to the accessory stand so he informs the group that he will walk around with Jungkook for the time being.

Strolling aimlessly within the festival ground, they are sooner joined by Seokjin. The trio chats, making small talks on random topics they can muster. By the time they are metres away from the festival centre, Yoongi’s ears perk, catching a familiar sound not so far away.

Seokjin and Jungkook are too deep in their conversation to notice how their leader turns his attention to the performance stage. There is a bubble of nostalgia somewhere in his heart at the sound, music to be exact. Taking a couple of steps ahead, Yoongi quickens his pace forward. He has to be nearer to be sure.

“Hey, Yoongi! Wait for us!” Seokjin calls aloud and glances at the younger fellow’s disappearing figure. Jungkook swears he can hear the older man mumbling how annoyingly difficult it is to understand Yoongi. The drummer has no reason to disapprove the statement. He too finds the leader a bit difficult to understand especially when he chose to throw the most unexpected question out of nowhere and add vagueness to it, Jungkook would always have his eyes widen in pure confusion.

Underneath his breath, Yoongi curses when the strums of an acoustic guitar came to an end once he manages to get a better view of the stage among the swarm of crowd. Whoever it was, he figures the fellow was a famous musician. Perhaps a rookie idol from the city? He can see that happening. But his heart tells him otherwise. Before he can make his way to the stage, there is a tug on his arm.

“Stop making us worry, will you?” Yoongi trails his eyes on his arm and finds Seokjin frowning at him. Glancing past his shoulder, he finds his friends are already gathered although that required a number of pushes just to be together. “Sorry. Let’s just go and get ready for our turn.” The leader bluntly spoke and retrieves his hand once he feels the guitarist loosen his hold.

 


 

There are not a lot of people walking around the festival ground once the closing performance ended. Most of them chose to head home and rest, taking advantage of the fact it will be Sunday on the next day. With a long relieved sigh, Seokjin gives a second look at Yoongi for the night.

The younger fellow looks very disturbed tonight. It is not a typical scene to witness – Min Yoongi to appear detached from reality. Sure, he is not the kind to spill his problem out in the open yet to catch him so closed is uncanny. And Seokjin doesn’t like the feeling one bit. He eyes on his bandmates and signals them to get in the van first so he can talk to Yoongi personally.

“Hey,” The older called in a hush but the stillness of the end summer’s night festival. He sees the younger jumps slightly. Maybe he is genuinely surprised at the call. “Are you alright? You have been looking out of place since we arrived at the fest.”

Nothing. He gets nothing from his question. Not a nod. Not hum. A quiet Yoongi is a Yoongi who is full of thoughts. Overwhelmed, high-likely. It takes a moment of extended stillness before Seokjin senses another figure stands by his side.

“I’ll get going now.” Jimin slipped in the tension exchange, seeing that Yoongi has no plan of making a move. He feels bad at the way Seokjin’s words vanish before it reaches the other’s ears. “Oh, sure. I assume you have your own transport then?”

“Yeah, I parked my motorbike not far from here. I have a 10 am class tomorrow to teach.” With that said, Jimin slowly bids his goodbyes, trying to get an answer from Yoongi too but to his dismay, the similar treatment is given.

Seokjin sighs again. He wonders how many times he needs in order to get Yoongi in the van without dragging him by force. He opts to state the obvious, “Hey, it’s time to head home,” line like he always gives. That too fallen on the deaf ears. Since he shows zero sign of moving, the older tries to pull his final plan and that is enough to get a response.

And that is Yoongi leaving Seokjin in complete puzzlement.

 


 

He reckons he deserved to get yelled by Kim Seokjin by now. If only he told the man of the matter, they could’ve gone back to the stage area together to look for the missing item. But he assures him that he can find it by himself. It is unlike him to be so careless too. So he texted him to wait for him at the van. In fifteen minutes, if he doesn’t return, Seokjin should at least go and send Jungkook and Taehyung home.

As expected, most of the festival stands are already empty. Save for the trash bags neatly placed on the sides, it was clean. Too clean for his liking though. He went over to performance space instead. There is always a first time for everything and Yoongi hates this one particular first time the most.

He recalls the moment when he has the slightest thought about missing his conch shell necklace. Maybe he jinxes it. He should not have such though no matter how simple it sounded to him hours ago. It doesn’t cross his mind he would experience it. His eyes scour through the area once he arrives.

A wave of ease washes upon him as soon as his sight finds a hint of sparkle by the barricade a metre away from the stage. All of the nerves that were once swimming up to his chest disappear when he gently picks up his necklace. He lets a long exhale when he notices it was still in a good shape and immediately puts them on. Having his necklace lost was the most difficult agenda for the night. He has no idea how to put it out to his friends without making it sound absurd.

But his life is never normal from the start.

Remembering his text, Yoongi speeds to the van, only to make a stop at the now vacant festival centre. His brows furrow at the sight of a young lady, leaning her body forward slightly. Her long brunette hair blocks her face from him getting a better view of her face. Judging on the posture, however, he senses something. It is a common posture. The girl must be looking for something. He is not the only one with a missing object.

Yoongi glances at his watch, it is already late. Jungkook can’t be home after twelve. As one of the older member of the band, it is his responsibility not to get his friends in trouble and especially when it is him who caused the trouble. He feels bad looking at the female figure, which is then has stood by a guitar that is placed on an empty booth stand. For a reason, that made his eyes widen.

The audition is tomorrow. He shouldn’t be delaying his friends’ time to head home for their well-deserved rest. It is going to be a long day and it will be best to let them sleep the night’s tiredness away. He too needs them after the whole ordeal regarding his silent self after noticing his shell accessory was not hanging on his neck. For a brief moment, he understands how tiring it must have been for Jungkook.

As he is about to take his leave, his ears twitch at a sound underneath his foot. Bringing his right leg back, his breath stops for a second, before he goes down to pick up whatever it was. His heartbeat quickens in realisation. When he has the object closer to his field of view, he gasps.

A shiny conch shell bracelet.

Is this for real? Is this actually happening to him? Why would this bracelet be here? Was the owner here at the festival too? It hurts his brain just coming up with those questions. The conch shell dangling on the bracelet is too familiar for him to ignore. It is very similar to him to ignore.

His attention is cut off at the loud ringing coming from his phone. Fifteen minutes are not a lot so he figures, his time is up. Yoongi walks pass the booth with the currently ownerless guitar. Upon closer inspection, something unexpected comes to view. His assumption is right about the bracelet once he finds a name neatly written in cursive on the body of the acoustic guitar.

Only four people in the world would have the pearl white conch shell accessories. If it is angled correctly, there will be a pretty rainbow reflected on them. And same can be seen on the conch on the bracelet in his hand.

Sensing a figure approaching him, he pulls out the band’s audition flyer from his back pocket. It is already crumpled in a way that creases formed on it will lessen the ability to read. Minor details aside, Yoongi hopes the girl knows what to do after finding the flyer and he quickly dashes out of the vicinity.

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚.

CuriousCat