♬♩♪ 02

Sound of the Sea

CHAPTER TWO

Sea

Cheery laughter and flushed faces paint the warm atmosphere of the entire studio as the remnants of the chicken pieces piled in the boxes. Some might have fallen not far off but none of them seems to mind the mess they made. The subtle stench of cheap beer filled the area and it is not a typical scene.

The four of them are there in the room. Seokjin zoomed instantaneously with the late-night snacks and drinks after a hectic day at work. Taehyung came in minutes after with Jungkook trailing behind him once they were done with their individual daily activities. Unlike the three, Yoongi cooped in the studio since he woke up, bright and early.

A loud chortle escaped Taehyung’s mouth at the joke Seokjin told seconds ago. If he is capable of giving the response, Jungkook would have laughed at the jokes too because it is not often the eldest member crack a genuinely good joke. Shaking his head, in the corner of his eyes, he finds his leader being awfully quiet. So he nudges him a little to get his attention.

Are you alright? You look out of place.” Jungkook kindly asked and notices the way Yoongi playing with the beer in his hand, unopened. Though he preferred to curve a small smile at the most random joke, Yoongi never remains still and stares into blank space. No matter how miserable his day might be. Lightly shaking his head, he looks up from his hand and realises the group’s attention is on him.

Yoongi lets a long sigh escape his lungs once he is done scanning his friends’ faces. It is not the best time to discuss whatever is occupying his mind, especially when they are partially drowsy. The moon hung high in the sky is a sign of the time. They are not even supposed to be in the studio but here they are.

Maybe it is the best time.

“The band…we need to do something about it.” He spoke earnestly. Aside from the unopened can, his fingers are tainted by the redness of the seasoned fried chicken which he cleans with tissues. They are quiet when Yoongi said whatever on his mind, aloud.

“What are you trying to imply? Is this about the small pay we got from the wedding? If yes, then I agree. We definitely need to do something about it.” Seokjin clarified oh-so-casually. He said that mainly due to the fact Seokjin will never talk about the band’s income when he is truly sober. It has always been a sensitive issue to him since he is the one in charge of the money flowing in and out all the time.

“Can I pitch in?” Taehyung raised his hand curtly before continuing, “I can’t help but to notice we are getting lesser audience for most of our weekly street performances. I feel like it has something to do about the lack of a certain someone in the band.”

“I don’t think so.” Seokjin voiced and it was after a silence breeze through the studio. The stillness in the air makes his statement disturbingly important. “I feel like there are more reasons than her not being here with us. I think it’s because someone is stealing our spot as the BEST BAND EVER!”

Yoongi utters nothing as a reply to his friend’s lines. He has an idea what Seokjin has mentioned. He notices what Taehyung managed to observe in the midst of their performances too. It never crosses his mind the probability of having a rival and they actually getting more and more in their way.

I don’t mind having a friendly competition but I do think we need to do something about the money. I feel bad for constantly asking for money from my guardian all the time.” Jungkook signed and it makes the band grow guiltier of the current situation they are in. They feel a sense of responsibility towards the youngest member. Unlike Seokjin and Taehyung who have jobs out during the day, Jungkook actually depended on the band, financially. Yoongi on the other hand…

“How about everyone gets an actual full-time job and the band can go on a temporary hia-” Before Taehyung managed to finish his sentence, Yoongi stands up abruptly from his spot.

“Let’s make an audition for a new guitarist that can sing!” Yoongi proposed out of the blue. His eyes glitter in delight at the sudden plan and a new surge of energy flows in his system. It does not last long though. Seokjin managed to drag him back to reality. “News flash, we tried that last month, remember? Don’t you remember what happened back then?”

“It doesn’t hurt to try it again but we had to stop the audition because it’s raining heavily outside and no one decent came. The least we could do this time is to keep an eye on the weather this time.” Taehyung added on, weighing the pros and cons from their last try.

But it has been rainy nowadays. Will there be any difference?

Yoongi purses his lips at the plan. s are right. It is already difficult enough to get attention from the audiences when they are performing. It is more challenging to gather attention for a band audition. With the unknowing weather pattern going around, there is a tad hesitant on Yoongi’s side. The disappointment he had to face was still in the back of his mind, buried not so deep that it can be found with zero difficulties.

“Yes, there will be a difference.” Yoongi confidently continues, “I have a good feeling this one. We will get a positive outcome from this.” He can sense it this time. He tends to be good at predicting the future whenever his guts let him. He gives a hopeful gaze to his fellow friends and holds a bit longer on Jungkook which the boy smiles.

I trust in Yoongi. I also believe we can get something good out of this. Also because I admit, I can’t do anything vocal wise for the team. I wish I can sing…” He apologetically said but Yoongi is quick to wrap his arm around the younger’s shoulders, to make sure he is in the right state of mind. It is not his fault he is unable to help the band verbally.

“It’s alright, Kook. You’re an amazing drummer and you’re getting better at composing. That’s enough to keep the band going.” Yoongi assured him. That statement alone causes Seokjin and Taehyung to gasp in surprise.

“Jungkook can compose music?!”

 


 

Scrolling through his phone for the night before heading to dreamland, Yoongi carefully rethinks of his decision. Once the impromptu, light dinner he had with his friends, he cannot help but feel his plan sounded hasty with no proper header and footer. It is surprising enough that they accepted the idea even with little hesitation. It might be because of how hopeful Jungkook appeared.

He tosses and turns from one side to another side, skimming the imaginary list of the pros and cons of the audition. Turning off the phone at once, he sighs. He can’t find a comfortable spot on his bed to hit the night. His brain is too busy working to be resting. After minutes of pondering, he figures he has to be out of his bed to properly formulate a plan. It has to be foolproof and his legs know where to bring his brain to.

The beach.

It is the best choice he has. A great escape from reality and a great place to think. Propping his arms to support his upper body, Yoongi laces his fingers through the sand underneath him. A walking distance from his neighbourhood, it is easily accessible and reachable by foot. He loves that aspect the most.

There is a little number of artificial lights scattered within his area. As it is far from the rows of streetlamps on the vacant roads, the stars above him sparkle with all their might and for the night, the moon is crescent. The sight is easing his wired mind and he lays his back on the ground, opting to appreciate the full view of the starry night sky. He is sure by doing so, all the problems within the band can be solved. Yoongi lets out another long sigh. He pillows his head with his arm and closes his eyes.

The hush waves accompany him through the silence, creating a tranquil ambience to relief the knots in his tangled mind. He imagines the smooth water rising on the shore before returning to their former states. It is wonderful. This is wonderful, he constantly utters mindlessly to himself. He would sleep there if they allow him without getting kick-off when the sun pops in the next morning.

The sea comes in a close second on the things he loves in life aside from music. Everyone, by everyone he means the band and Namjoon, acknowledge how he would disappear on a random day of practice just to be there. He doesn’t do it as often though seeing the condition they are in. Yet when the whisper of water reaches his ears, he knows he has to produce a song out of this. That is if the inspiration rolls into him.

Minutes passes by, the man changes his position. He drags his legs up, hugging them against his torso. He cannot afford to doze off at the beach. He needs to remember why he is there in the first place. Tightening the hold, he has his eyes fixed on the dark body of water in front of him. He frowns when the sea doesn’t look as welcoming and quiet as he visualised. At the mere thought of the darkness, his face grows dull at a distant memory.

He peels the shoes off his feet, neatly situates them on the patch of sand beside him. This feels weird. There is a strange tingling sensation in him as the blurry memory gradually takes over his mind. Shaking them out does not seem to work well yet he can distinguish the reasoning behind the sensation. There is one way to make them settle and he dislikes it to the core.

Approaching the shore after much delay, it is not too late for Yoongi to make a run. There is hesitance, constantly pulling him back to his spot. When he can watch the dark water closer, his heart beats. It takes him a moment to even realise the nerves. A question pops in the back of his mind.

He loves the sea, right?

It isn’t the sea which he is aware of. The memories come with it is what makes him afraid of the sea. Is it even possible to be scared of something you love? He guesses it does. There are several reasons to be scared and the sea provides not one but two of his darkest memories. There is hatred too but it was formed when he was little. He can’t keep the hatred for such a long time without fully understanding the situation.

A shiver goes down his spine. Diverting his attention to his feet, he is aware of the water tickling him. An eerie sensation creeps on him and it will only take a single thought for him to let himself go. Though peculiar, it is not foreign. There is an explanation of why he feels all this whenever he lets a part of him in the water. It is difficult to say them aloud, unfortunately.

“I’m here to think about the plan. I shouldn’t be doing this. What am I doing here?” Yoongi mumbled in genuine confusion. His brows furrow and immediately take a couple of steps backwards before breaking into a swift jog.

He hopes he gets the sleep he needs as soon as he reunites with his bed.

 


 

The late morning eases through the day. The sleepless night takes a little toll on Yoongi once he recalled his schedule. Now that it comes to mind, maybe having a band manager sounds like a nice idea. At least he will not be awake an hour after dawn for their weekly brunch activity. Fortunately, he is in a surprisingly good mood.

“Is everyone done already? The crowd is getting bigger.” Taehyung’s bass guitar clings onto him whilst his fingers instinctively tune the instrument although, to be honest, he has long done tuning. He is the first one to finish assembling his equipment. Rolling his eyes, Seokjin attaches the wire to his brown acoustic guitar and speaks, “Stop being too optimistic. There are literally only three people here.”

Jungkook peels his eyes from his drum set and glances over the general direction of the area. Well, Taehyung wasn’t entirely lying about the crowd getting bigger. They managed to squeeze in the corner of the initially empty park plaza to three random people standing metres away. He is positive there will be more once they start playing. It is a common-sense they are early for the occasion. Most of their typical viewers are in school or at work.

“There’s no harm in positive thinking, Jin. We need most of it if we want to have enough money for a successful audition.” The leader backed up his fellow bandmate at the playful exchange. Yoongi senses it was playful as he hears Seokjin light chuckle and he can see the older shaking his head. “I still can’t believe you proposed that audition plan when you are aware that I was intoxicated. Of course, I thought of the worst scenario.” Seokjin stated.

“Fine choice of words but true.” The bassist uttered quietly. He too cannot recall the preposition. Who knows what else Yoongi might be talking about when his friends were not fully aware of the discussion in the first place? Also, it is not a part of their regular schedule to busk at the current plaza they are in.

When the three of them stepped into the studio hours ago, they stumbled upon Yoongi already finished packing his portable keyboard. He was sprawling on the couch, waiting for the members to arrive. The studio was clean from any trace of their drunk self. They were taken aback, obviously because Yoongi is not the kind to tidy up others’ leftover voluntarily. With a bright smile, the fellow announced his plan and idea for the day.

In instant mutual agreement, they headed to the nearest convenience store down at the end of the block. Stuffing their mouths with multi-flavoured pieces of bread and biscuits was not fulfilling but it was better than ignoring the morning hunger and thirst from last night’s meal. The eldest took the wheel and here they are, fully awake and aware.

“What song should we perform first on this fine morning?” Seokjin questioned once he is settled on his stool. Looking straight at Yoongi on his left side, he sees the other has his fingers hover over the white keys, pressing on random notes to test his amplifier. His last few testing are familiar. There is a collective sigh from the guitarists and the drummer quietly chuckle from his spot at the back of the band.

“Just One Day? You didn’t think of today’s playlist, were you?” Seokjin spoke in defeat and listening to Yoongi experimenting with his keyboard is enough to assure that it is going to be a long afternoon.

It does not help by the fact there is no one in the crowd who knew their songs because whatever they perform are mostly original songs produced by Yoongi or sometimes it would be their former member’s music. They don’t play them anymore after she left. Their leader refuses to play covers and her piece.

“I feel like if Jungkook has the voice to speak, he will be on our side by now,” Taehyung said as a joke and turns his head to look at the mentioned boy. Since he is not able to read his lips, Jungkook has no idea what Taehyung was talking about. He is not even sure if Taehyung is talking to him actually so he just puts on his awkward grin. When Taehyung shows his boxy smile, he is a hundred percent sure they are talking about him.

I don’t think I have a say in this. I just follow anything Yoongi wants to do.” Jungkook signed after placing his sticks on the drums. “But hey, look. Someone we know actually shows up!” He added on which managed to divert the entire band’s attention from him and look forward. Only then Taehyung waves his hand frantically at the new face in the crowd.

“Just One Day it is!” He enthusiastically bobs and Yoongi shakes his head knowingly before catching the newcomer standing closer to them. He takes the chance to say a few words to the fellow before they start their busking session.

“Long time no see, Park Jimin.”

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚.

CuriousCat