♬♩♪ 03

Sound of the Sea

CHAPTER THREE

Friends

With the sun shines brightly, the summer season is definitely making its mark this time around. Usually, the band is capable of playing up to five songs per session but that day is scorching to continue. Swinging through the lunch hour, they do witness an extra pair of eyes watching their performance. By then, they are soaking in sweat and it is evident. It is their limit when Jungkook was at the verge of passing out.

Thank you.” The youngest fellow signed and bowed a little when Jimin passes him a bottle of cold drinking water. Jimin has always had a soft spot in his heart for the boy. For an unknown feeling, he feels like Jungkook might be his little brother or very close friends in an alternate universe. He ruffles the boy’s hair but grimaces a bit when he realises how sweaty he is. Taehyung catches the action and expression quick.

“You know well Jungkook sweats so much but you still baby him.” The same-aged friend laughs as he opens his drink and takes a massive chug. “Hey, Kook, do you take a suggestion? You should cut your hair. Aren’t you getting hot by that?” Jimin said and points at Jungkook’s mop of hair. It amazes them he is able to keep his hair long in the midst of the hot season.

I would like to but I can’t be bothered heading to the barbershop at the city. Yoongi and Seokjin are planning to do a daily street performance for an audition.” Jungkook explained and Jimin turns away from him for Taehyung to translate. He has an idea what the boy was saying but his sign language skill is rusty since he only has Jungkook who speaks to him in such method.

“That’s about 30 thousand won in total.” The three of them overheard Seokjin’s voice. He is a lot closer to them than they last remembered. Maybe he is following Yoongi’s movements since the leader is busy arranging their instruments in the back of the van. After he manages to close the door, he puts his focus on Seokjin.

“Well, that’s a lot more than I expected to be honest,” Yoongi scratches his head, “It’s enough to print some flyers. I don’t know about the bills and studio rent though.” He continued worriedly as he eyes on the notes and box held by Seokjin. Wondering is it even worth the time to count the coins. From what he saw, there was not a lot in the first place.

“Are you guys that strapped for cash? I can pitch in extra if you guys want it.” Jimin kindly offered and it only takes Yoongi’s hand to know his kind gesture is rejected.

Jimin comes from a well-off family. He even earns more than the whole band members personal monthly income combine. Due to the nature of his freelance work as a professional dancer, the fellow will have an overspill of finance once he pays his rent and bills and other adult related responsibilities. At the moment in time, he decided to take a couple of months break before pushing his body to its limit again. Instead, he focuses on working as a part-time teacher for children at a day-care somewhere in the city.

“How large does this audition has to be anyway? We are only looking for an extra vocalist right? We don’t mind the instrument they play. But it will be cool if they can play the guitar to take over the main rhythm whenever Seokjin has to do solos.” Taehyung joins the discussion and then Seokjin realizes the importance of the audition.

“You’re right. It doesn’t cross my mind how big Yoongi wants this audition to be.” Seokjin uttered and glances at the lad’s face, trying to read them. “I have no plan to take in a city dweller as a member that is for sure.” He replied hesitantly.

“Oh, I was going to ask. What did happen to that girl member of yours? Did she quit? I loved her vocal colour though. I almost didn’t recognise you guys performing when I passed by.” Jimin stated with all honesty. The question alone is enough to bring silence to the group. It was a bad question, wasn’t it? He concludes by the quietness shared among them. Even with the number of people surrounding them, it is too much for them to handle.

“Anyway,” The eldest breaks the stillness, “I can check with the rent and bill things when I head to the city later. I’m going to meet up with Byul so I might as well settle them by today.”

“Oh! Are you meeting up with her? Can I join?” Taehyung cuts in excitement and Seokjin reacted in the opposite mood. “No. The last time you tagged along, you spilt coffee on my pristine white shirt. Besides, we have something about work to discuss.”

“That’s okay, Tae. We can hang out together. How about Yoongi and Jungkook tag along with us? It has been a long while after all since the last time we hang out.” The dancer chirped giddily, hoping for the other pair to join them but becomes dejected when Yoongi shakes his head.

“I’m heading home to wash up and maybe sleep for a while. Drag Jungkook with you guys, okay?” He waves at the boys before taking his leave. With Seokjin’s van leaving the vicinity, the trio looks at one another and Jimin slowly makes his suggestion.

“So…anyone up for fresh fruit smoothies?”  

 


 

Should he even stay in the city centre for such a long time? The energy he once had for the day already drained as soon as they finished with their busking session. Once that ends, he zoomed across the border to meet up with his fellow workmate. Settling a couple of problems at work, he made a deal with the studio’s owner regarding their lack of money to make full payment of the particular month’s rent.

Seokjin is swamped. That is an overstatement. He already got used to this whole situation. However, with the extra burden incoming, he can’t put his mind together properly. This time around, he can’t read Yoongi’s mind. His friend always comes up with the most random plan without asking for his piece of opinion. In the end, he has no choice except to accept the impromptu plan.

An audition is not bad seeing from the leader’s point of view. His bassist is right when he said they are losing loyal audiences. And he feels burdened at the thought his drummer is depending on the band to continue with his life. As the oldest member of Beyond The Scene, he senses a huge responsibility to make sure everything falls according to each and every member of the band’s plan.

Perhaps an extra band member is not the only person BTS needs at the moment. That is it. His brain cells are working at once. Perhaps working in a theatre production is giving him ideas. He might be busy typing away in his office all the time but he knows just the right person to recruit. Perhaps he should go ahead and have a Yoongi style of thinking – goes in head-on with the plan without deep discussion.

Yes. Of course, he should.

With a newfound reason to smile, Seokjin picks his phone up from the table. It is such a nice idea to make a stop at the café. The fragrant smell of baked goods and coffee gives him the extra energy that he needs to make the call. After all, the person on the other side of the call has lots of energy and he has to be on the same level if he wants him to join the team.

“Kim Seokjin, hello! It’s a surprise to hear from you after so long.”

“You’re exaggerating. You left the production for only a week.” Seokjin replied and heard the other’s bright laughter. “Yeah, and it has been a very quiet week. I’m not used to this at all. My life has always been running around all over the place to make ends work. To suddenly stop, it’s just weird.” The receiver shared and Seokjin can sense him pouting.

“Well, you’re in for a treat. I have a job for you.”

“What? Purple Rain Production has a new play already? That’s quick.”

“No, it’s not a PRP thing. It’s a…BTS thing.”

“BTS…your band?”

“Yes,” Seokjin paused. Suddenly, he is uncertain if he should offer the other the job. It doesn’t cross in his mind that he will have to pay the fellow. He grimaces a little but it is too late now. He already has the position in mind and out in the open.

“Jung Hoseok, would you be willing to be BTS’s band manager?”

 


 

He lied. He feels awful for it. He should apologies to them. His bothered self does not go unnoticed though. Not when he is clearly not even home. A location he told his friends an hour ago. His legs have been acting strangely as if it has a mind of its own. Why is it so hard for him to control them?

Yoongi claims the couch as his and he sure looks comfortable on them. Namjoon assumes anyway seeing that the older fellow has been spacing out after greeting him. He did make an attempt to initiate a small talk between them. The lad didn’t get any verbal response in return so he continued his work. Silence is not uncommon in his office after all.

Namjoon is quite preoccupied. Working alone in the room most of the time, he is good at ignoring the figure lounged in his office space. The soft clicking from his keyboard and papers flipping accompany them. He tries to dismiss Yoongi again yet it troubles him a tad since Yoongi rarely comes in without any intention in mind. So, he re-tries his attempt.

“You can’t just come here and make me worry about you. Is everything alright?” The pair of thin-rimmed glasses that is gradually slipping on the bridge of his nose is taken off. It is about time he takes a rest anyway. He can even call it a day since he works for no one aside from himself. Namjoon sighs when all he gets a nod. Not helpful but a response nonetheless.

“You know, I figured it will be nice to talk to you about this matter.”

That sentence sure works wonderfully since Yoongi finally snaps from his trance. His eyes widen, genuinely surprised. Namjoon is starting a story-time? He pushes his body from the couch and he doesn’t notice the way Namjoon smiling at the interest but the younger one wipes it off when he remembers it is a serious matter.

“There are letters, Yoongi. A stack of them. I don’t know if you ever noticed that box over there for the past few months.” Namjoon gazes at the corner of the room and Yoongi follows, similarly.

A brown box. Given the fact Namjoon room consist of the same colour palette, it is easy to dismiss the black-lit cardboard box. Who in the right mind would know there is a stack of letters in them? When they are sure they have their eyes on it for at least a minute, Namjoon continues.

“All of the letters in the box are for one person. I’ve been tracking her for…I don’t know how many months has it been but she went missing as soon as she arrives here.”

“And you’re sharing this because? This girl…she can be anywhere by now.” Yoongi gave a piece of his mind. He can’t pinpoint the exact reason why Namjoon even talks to him about it. He doesn’t even know Namjoon’s work nature or his position in that matter. All he knows is the fellow works as an advisor. Beyond that, he never questioned his actual job scope. It never crosses his mind.

“Yeah, she could be anywhere. I wouldn’t know she is even here if it wasn’t for these letters. It doesn’t help that these letters are so vague without names. I would read all of them if I could but after a couple of them, I feel like I shouldn’t be prying.”

“Oh,” The older uttered shortly. He finally has a sense where this conversation came and goes. It has come to his attention that it is not an ordinary topic that Namjoon can share. It is a topic that only he can understand. “What is the content anyway?”

“Not something I should meddle with, definitely.” Namjoon stands from his chair, walks around his worktable and glances out of the window.

He has a clear view of the sea. It is the only one he has too and it is a reminder of his job. Every single day he faces, there is something common in every client that walks through his door. Without them, he will remain in his office, searching for the unknown. The problem is growing bigger and he wishes he has someone to spill. Yoongi is the right man for it, he supposed.

“It hardly rains nowadays.” The younger suddenly spoke. It was soft, gentle with a hint of disbelief in his tone. Yoongi claims it might be because it is mid-summer. It is logical for the lack of rain yet the older understands Namjoon’s statement. The man thinks further ahead and the little amount of rain has another meaning to the two of them.

“I hope you’re not dehydrated because of this. Seokjin texted me about your daily busking sessions earlier today. Bring a lot of water for the band to your venue at least.” He advised good-naturedly. A nod, a repetitive response displays by the band’s leader. A random piece of advice but a piece of helpful advice. Yoongi is grateful to hear that especially when he recalled how Jungkook almost passed out from the heat. He should be more aware.

 


 

“This is one nice mango juice.” A satisfied sigh escapes Taehyung’s lips. Jimin scoffs at the exaggerated sight once he took the last slurp of his strawberry milkshake.

It has been a while since the last time they hang out together with the additional Jungkook in the circle this time around. Choosing to have a break from dancing full-time is such a nice idea. He finally values freedom from judgemental eyes and mouths. He might stop himself from joining competitions when he returns. He has the tendency to forget his love for dancing every time he entered a competition. Seeking for perfection is impossible but he strives for it.

“You’re drifting off.” The dancer shoots his gaze from his clean glass of milkshake to meet his friends’ worried looks. “I wasn’t.” He denied Taehyung’s words.

“Well, if you didn’t, what did I say just now?”

“That your mango juice is nice?” Jimin rolls his eyes, confident of his reply before feels the table vibrates. He immediately finds Jungkook smiling widely at him and the younger signs, “He was talking about BTS.”

“What about it?”

“I was wondering how cool it might be if you join us,” Taehyung repeated, stressing the needed words in his line. It takes Jimin aback. “I can’t play any instrument, you guys know that. I would be joining your band instantly if I can.”

You have something that I don’t.” Jungkook dejectedly said. A pout is evident on his face. Looking at him, stirring his chocolate milkshake mindlessly using his paper straw, Taehyung exhales. Jungkook has his way with words that can hit them unexpectedly. If it came out verbally, they will lose the fight.

“He’s right. Your voice can be considered as an instrument. You can always join as a vocalist.” Taehyung added to make Jungkook’s claim clearer. Upon listening to an extension of his friend’s statement on why he should join the band, Jimin shows his palm, a signal for them to stop.

“I dance. I don’t sing.”

That doesn’t mean you can’t. You even know all of our original songs. Yoongi would be thrilled to have you as one of us!” Jungkook said in excitement. He didn’t even need his voice for them to know. His eyes literally sparkle when he has hands signing them.

“Didn’t Yoongi and Seokjin say they are looking for a vocalist that can play an instrument? The guitar to be exact?” He is not giving in. He is not planning to be a singer from the beginning. He is a graduate in contemporary dance. He should be dancing.

“You used to play the guitar. Do you think I have forgotten about high school you? That yellow acoustic guitar used to be your second best friend.” Taehyung’s words make Jimin puzzle. He is right about him and the guitar but the last three words…

“Obviously, I am your first best friend. We are literally soulmates.” Taehyung has his arm wraps around Jimin’s shoulders as he laughs playfully at the way Jungkook cringes at the exchange. But he joins in the laughter a beat after.

I feel like I’m third-wheeling.”

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚.

CuriousCat