among us

together, we are one
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyungsoo.

 

He hears someone call him.

 

Kyungsoo, wake up!

 

He opens his eyes and finds himself back to the place where he met Kisoo. He is laying on the ground and the latter is kneeled on his side, watching him.

 

Hey. Kisoo smiles.

 

What happened? He asks, getting up.

 

A lot.

 

He touches the back of his head and sees blood on his hand. He remembers. Am I.. dead? He asks, dread evident in his voice.

 

No, you're not. I mean, not yet. The other man chuckles.

 

Then how.. are you here?

 

This is a dream, obviously. Kisoo rolls his eyes. Look, it's not over yet. He puts a hand on his shoulder. You can't let go. You're starting to understand what's happening.

 

What should I do? Why does it depend on him?

 

Bring us all together, Kyungsoo. The other man says. But how? He doesn't even know what happened or where Taejung is. And the other one.. just tried to kill him.

 

We need you. Kisoo stands up, faintly smiling before it disappears. And then the same thing happens again, a bullet strikes him in the chest. The sound of the gunshot makes Kyungsoo close his eyes and he tries his best to avoid watching the body fall down. He cannot stomach to witness it all over again.

 

 

The next time Kyungsoo opens his eyes, he's in a different place. He squints, the bright light on the ceiling blinding him. He's now laying on a bed, he lifts his hand and sees a needle stuck in it, and at that moment, he feels a sudden throb on his head.

 

Right. He's in a hospital, after a confrontation with the killer. Another clone. But why?

 

When he looks down, he sees a sleeping figure on the side of his bed. His tall body uncomfortably sits on a chair while his head rests on top of his arm. His other hand is gripped around Kyungsoo's forearm, thumb pressed against his wrist, as if making sure his pulse is still beating. The contact makes him blush.

 

"Chanyeol?" His voice comes out as a croak.

 

The man rouses when he feels Kyungsoo's hand run through the locks of his hair.

 

"Soo.." His eyes go big in delight. "You're awake."

 

He nods. "How long was I out?" He clears his throat to ease the dryness of it.

 

Chanyeol quickly gets him a cup of water and helps him drink it. "A day. Actually, the doctor said it would take a while but.." He looks at him with wonder, "Hold on, I'm gonna call him." He stands up and presses a button mounted to the wall and speaks, "Hello? The patient is awake."

 

"How are you feeling?" The taller man asks him.

 

"A bit dizzy.."

 

"That must be the sedative."

 

"Where's Kai?" He suddenly remembers. The last time he saw him was before the attack.

 

"He's okay." Chanyeol reassures him. "They found him unconscious in the restrooms. His injury wasn't as bad as yours, though, just a concussion. He's resting in the next room." 

 

He breathes out. "Thank god."

 

"What happened out there, Soo?" There's worry in Chanyeol's eyes. "I saw you run out of the crowd and by the time I found you, you were bleeding to death."

 

He would have been dead already if Chanyeol didn't find him. He at least owes the guy an explanation, but he hesitates. He doesn't know where to begin.

 

Thankfully they get interrupted when the doctor walks in. "Hello."

 

"Junmyeon?"

 

The doctor beams at him. "Yes. I'm your doctor." He walks closer to him and begins to check his vital signs. "Dongyeon basically begged to make sure you'll be under my care." He chuckles. He then unwraps the bandages around Kyungsoo's head and checks on the wound, there is a weird look on his face before he continues. "Interesting."

 

"What is it?" Chanyeol asks.

 

Junmyeon turns to Chanyeol but he doesn't answer his question. "Will you excuse us for a moment? I need to talk to my patient.. privately."

 

The taller man stares at the both of them like he didn't understand what the doctor said.

 

"Don't worry, I won't hurt him." Junmyeon smiles. And as if that makes Chanyeol feel better, he nods and gets out of the room.

 

"Why would you say that?" Kyungsoo blinks.

 

"You know, he insisted not to leave your side the whole time you were unconscious."

 

"He did?" Kyungsoo blushes again and Junmyeon just winks at him. He has so many questions.

 

"Anyway.." the doctor's face turns serious and it frightens him a bit with what's going to be said. "You suffered mild head trauma and we expected you'd not wake up for days or even a week. The latest test we did to you shows that there's no internal bleeding or clots. And your wound.." He pauses. "The cut has closed.. it's healing fast."

 

"Is that a bad thing?" Kyungsoo gulps.

 

"No, it's good." Junmyeon sits in front of him. "But it's not normal." He further explains, "I'm no scientist, but I think this has to do with your biology. And yours is unique, because Dongyeon is not like this."

 

"Right.. so you're saying we're weird, but I'm weirder." Kyungsoo jokes. So he has like, advanced healing abilities now? What's next?

 

"Yes. That's what I'm saying." The doctor jokes back. "I would like to check on it further but I have no access to Oasis anymore ever since I was removed as monitor."

 

"It's okay, Junmyeon. Thanks." He looks up at the ceiling and sighs. "I'm just glad I'm okay."

 

 

Chanyeol goes to the cafeteria to buy food only when Sehun arrives from the agency. Jongin is also discharged around that time, and the man immediately visits Kyungsoo.

 

"The internet is in shambles." Sehun reads through his phone. "SM announced that the attacker could be an anti-fan, and they're currently investigating the scene to confirm it. There are media and fans waiting outside, I could barely get in without getting swarmed with questions." The manager says in annoyance. "The police are also waiting for your statement as witness, so I hope you're prepared for that."

 

"Guys.. the killer is another clone." Kyungsoo reveals.

 

"What?" Both managers exclaim simultaneously.

 

"Yeah." He confirms. "I can't say that to the police, right? My best option is to just ride along SM's statement."

 

"Yes, you can't." Jongin sits on the side of his bed. "He was wearing a hoodie. We can claim we didn't see his face."

 

"I don't get it, though." Sehun's eyebrows are narrowed intensely. "Why would another one of you kill his own kind?"

 

"I have no idea." Kyungsoo cringes at what Sehun said. His own kind? We're not aliens or something, we're humans. But he chooses to shrug it off and not take offense in it. "He didn't know I'm not Kisoo. If I didn't tell him he would've went for the kill." He recalls how that bare second did save his life. "He said we will meet again."

 

"That's completely alarming." Sehun points out.

 

"I don't think it will happen. Not for now." He says. "I kind of.. injured him back. And if he survives that, it will take him a while to stalk me again."

 

"I'm sorry I couldn't protect you." Jongin rubs the skin on his palm. "I promised-"

 

"Don't apologize. It wasn't your fault. You're not gonna blame yourself with this." He whispers. "Are you sure you're okay now?"

 

Jongin just nods.

 

"Oh, by the way." Sehun changes the subject. "Somebody has been trying to come up here all day. He says he knows you personally, but for security protocols, only the management team are allowed here."

 

"Who?" Kyungsoo asks.

 

"I don't know, a blond guy named Baekho or Baekyeon something. He should be thankful he's cute or I would've had him prosecuted for causing a scene."

 

"Baekhyun." He corrects him. "Sehun, that's my brother."

 

The man stops scrolling through his phone. "Oh."

 

 

"Baby, how are you?" Baekhyun rushes in to hug him when he gets allowed to come to his room.

 

"Ow." He gasps at the sudden pressure. "I'm fine, Baek. I'm alive."

 

"I'm sorry it took me too long to visit you." His brother pouts and points at Sehun. "This man threatened to get me arrested!"

 

"I didn't know who you were!" The tall man complains.

 

"Whatever." He rolls his eyes at the manager then turns his attention back to Kyungsoo. "I did call Junmyeon though, but even he couldn't do to let me in. I wanted to take care of you!"

 

"It's okay, Baek." He pinches his brother's cheek. "Don't worry, Chanyeol watched over me the entire time."

 

"Chanyeol?" Both Baekhyun and Jongin ask.

 

And as if on cue, Chanyeol returns with a few paper bags of food and cups of coffee on the other hand.

 

"Park Chanyeol?!" Baekhyun squeals too loud making all of them jump.

 

"Hi." Chanyeol offers a hand to his brother after he has placed the stuff he bought on the table. "I think we haven't met before yet?"

 

His brother accepts his hand and shakes it. "I'm Byun Baekhyun. I'm.." He trails off and looks at Kyungsoo, who shakes his head. "I did Kyungsoo's make up for the Halloween party."

 

"Ah. Nice to meet you." The taller man chuckles. "Great work you did there. I was scared when I saw his face." Even Sehun and Jongin are laughing.

 

"Please stop. All of you." Kyungsoo grumbles in embarrassment.

 

 

Kyungsoo is discharged the next morning. Last night, Sehun and Jongin went home and Baekhyun and Chanyeol were left to watch over him, much for the latter's insistence. The three of them have to use the back exit to avoid the people waiting for them outside at the front of the hospital.

 

"What are you playing?" Kyungsoo asks Chanyeol, sitting beside him in the car, who is busy fiddling with his phone.

 

"Among Us." The man answers but doesn't look up. "It's a multiplayer game where you will get a role as a crewmate or an impostor."

 

"Impostor?" He shouldn't have asked.

 

"Yeah. The impostors would sabotage your tasks or kill you in order for them to win. They tend to lie terribly to deny who they are when crewmates try to guess who it is. It's quite entertaining, but it pisses me off when I get it wrong."

 

"Ah." The impostors tend to lie terribly to deny who they are. Chanyeol's voice repeats on his head. "Sounds fun." He fakes out, but deep inside him, he feels like .

 

"Wanna play?"

 

"No.." He laughs nervously. Why is he having a hard time telling Chanyeol? It keeps getting harder and this deep feeling in his chest gets worse as each day passes by. "I'm tired." Tired pretending in front of you.

 

 

"Would you like me to.. stay in your dorm for now?" Chanyeol asks when they arrive in the building. "I mean, I think it would be safer if you're not alone."

 

"Oh-" 

 

"Actually, you won't need to." Baekhyun interjects. "I would stay with him tonight."

 

"You?" Chanyeol asks. "Why?"

 

"Because.." His brother trails off.

 

"Because you already watched over me in the hospital, Chanyeol. You should rest." Kyungsoo reasons out. "I also know you have personal things to do too, right? I don't wanna be a burden."

 

"You're not a burden." Chanyeol contemplates it, but agrees anyway. "Okay. Call me if you need anything?"

 

"Okay." He nods.

 

"You're not a burden." Baekhyun repeats when they get in Kyungsoo's room. "Wow. I have no words."

 

"What are you saying?"

 

"What I'm saying is, he obviously likes you back." his brother starts rummaging through the fridge. "He did watch over you the entire time you were knocked out. And now he wants to stay over? Damn."

 

"You're overthinking this." He flatly says.

 

"Uh, no." the other man tosses him a sandwich. "Don't act dumb, Soo. I know you didn't want him to leave." He an eyebrow at him.

 

"I'm not.." There is no escape when it comes to Baekhyun, so he gives up. "Fine. I like being around him, okay? I just don't know how to.. do this. I'm afraid I'll make everything awkward if I show affection."

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter