// burning

the land beneath, the sky above

 

 

When the sun sets,
the ball of fire
touching down the ground
why doesn’t it burn?

 

 

 

Hitomi glances out the window, taking in the sunset. Her hands are wrapped around her phone, and her heart’s the one burning in silence.

I… becoos I like. Noooo. Because I, love you. Becows I love you, Hii-channn.

The slurred words can’t be a confession. She takes in a slow breath, says, “You’re drunk, Unnie.”

A light, happy noise. “An’ in love. Wiff youuuu—

Her heart gives out a twinge, followed with another. And another, and another, and another. There’s disbelief (and a want to believe), but Chaewon is drunk. It explains everything. She’s not in her right mind, Hitomi reminds herself.

“Stay safe until you’re home, Unnie.” She closes her eyes when Chaewon chuckles and repeats the words again in a sing-song manner, as though Hitomi hasn’t said anything. Love. You. I like you. I love. You, Hii-chan. Did you know. Am I obvioos? If only she could bring herself to believe them, to let the warmth in.

(To feel happy, even if just for a second.)

“Stop saying that,” she softly chides but. Don’t stop. Please say it tomorrow too, when you’re no longer drunk. “Minjoo might hear you.” Isn’t she with her, didn’t Yena say they’ll go out and have a drink together? Hitomi doesn’t want to think about that, the twisting knots inside her stomach binding tighter and tighter.

Chaewon makes a confused noise, but Hitomi swallows and bids her goodbye. Hanging up, and sitting still with the phone in her hold, Hitomi averts her eyes towards the sunset outside the window. Chaewon’s slurred words are ringing faintly in her ears but none of that was a drunken truth (because if it was, Chaewon would have gone Minjoo this, Minjoo that, Hitomi’s name rarely spoken like she’s only an afterthought.)

So Hitomi cradles the pieces of her heart and looks out at the sunset, how the oranges and yellows rush to touch the ground, sinking into it.

(And she’s the one burning.)